Start by marking “First Among Sequels (Thursday Next, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
First Among Sequels

Jasper Fforde

First Among Sequels (Thursday Next #5)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  21,254 Ratings  ·  1,462 Reviews
Literary sleuth Thursday Next is out to save literature in the fifth installment of Jasper Fforde's wildly popular series

Beloved for his prodigious imagination, his satirical gifts, his literate humor, and sheer silliness, Jasper Fforde has delighted book lovers since Thursday Next first appeared in The Eyre Affair, a genre send-up hailed as an instant classic. Since the
Audiobook
Published (first published July 24th 2007)

BrokenTune
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
2.5*

‘Incredibly enough, reality TV has just got worse.’ ‘Is that possible?’ I asked. ‘Wasn’t Celebrity Trainee Pathologist the pits?’ I thought for a moment. ‘Actually, Whose Life Support Do We Switch Off ? was worse. Or maybe Sell Your Granny. Wow, the choice these days makes it all so tricky to decide.’
Bowden laughed. ‘I’ll agree that Granny lowered the bar for distasteful programme makers everywhere, but RTA-TV, never one to shirk from a challenge, have devised Samaritan Kidney Swap. Ten rena
Jack
Jul 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thursday's back, in the first installment of her second four-book series; how I'd missed her.

Familiar ground is less familiar than I might have expected. It's 14 years later, SpecOps has been disbanded, and Thursday is working at a carpet company while England's love of reading (so prominent and charming in the world of the first series) has plummeted so far that bookstores no longer sell books and reality TV has resorted to titles like Samaritan Kidney Swap. It takes a couple of chapters for on
Esther
Aug 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jasper Fforde junkies
Actually, more like 1.5 stars -- somewhere between "didn't like it" and "OK". I certainly didn't hate it, but I didn't derive much pleasure from reading it, either.

While I enjoyed the prior four books in this series, this one fell short. Much of the cleverness that made Fforde's other books so delightful has been sucked out of this book.

The "that that that that" bit in Well of Lost Plots was a bit of brilliance. This book's brilliance, unfortunately, has been reduced to something comparable to a
Brownbetty
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like words put together to form stories
Jasper Fforde reminds me of a Douglas Adams who came from a happier home. (I have no idea what Adams' home life was like, but for the sake of analogy, humour me.) His humour is less biting, but just as madcap, his characters are kinder, and easier to like, but the surreality is, I think, just as strong, and listen to this nice bit of language on pianos: "Composed of 550lbs of iron, wood, strings, and felt, the 88-key instrument is capable of the most subtle of melodies, yet stored up in the te ...more
Megan Baxter
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, I still enjoy these. I don't know that they are as shiny and new as when Jasper Fforde was a discovery, but I do enjoy them. I felt like the one before this was a bit muddy, if I remember correctly (it was a while ago), but First Among Sequels is a thoroughly fun addition to the Thursday Next series. I really never get tired of Fforde's voice. That's what it comes down to, in the end.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enfor
Kerrin
May 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably my least favorite of the Thursday Next series so far. It seemed less coherent and more bogged down with explanation than the rest. While there were a few exciting parts near the end, I did not enjoy it as much as The Eyre Affair and others in the series.
Lisa Vegan
I was really scared to read this one because so many readers seem to dislike it, even those people who enjoyed the first four books in the series, and I didn’t want to feel disappointed. I’m not sure why so many readers don’t like this one. I was into it right from the start.

So what if this book isn’t plot heavy (but there is a story/plot!) – I love hanging out in this alternative world with Thursday and the other characters – I especially enjoyed the parts about the kids.

Fforde is unbelievably
Tripp
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I have ever read a more raucous and joyful ode to reading than Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, then I have long forgotten it. Set in a fantastical alternate Britain, the series heroine is the titular Next who is a member of the Literary Detectives, a government organization that combats book crime, such as, say, the unlawful editing of books. How can such events occur? Well as it happens, what is written in books exists in it own dimension and if you were to enter that dimension, you co ...more
Jenny
Jul 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved this quirky series, but in all honesty, I think this book had too many subplots and not enough plot to sustain the interest of anyone but a fan. Some great satire, though--I loved the reality TV shows made out of books.
Rachel C.
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karen, David, other Fforde fans out there
Maybe it's because I haven't seen Thursday Next in a long time, but I really enjoyed this book!

I loved the scenes with her family - seeing son Friday as a grunty teenager whose only interest is playing guitar for his garage band, The Gobshites. (His parents are worried because he's slated to save the world 756 times, but is already three years behind schedule on his ChronoGuard career.) The scene about Thursday's daughter Jenny almost made me cry.

The plot is intricate and hard to follow, but if
RavenclawReadingRoom
Look, I like this series a lot. But there's a lot in this one that I find frustrating.
1. The fourteen year time skip between books. I'm really not a fan of time skips as a plot device, and jumping THAT FAR? No thank you.
2. (view spoiler)
3. Multiples of the same character.
3a. I mean, we have three different versions of the protagonist - Actual Thursday Next, Thursday N
Leigh Wisniewski
Seriously, Jasper Fforde. This has gone far enough.

I thought The Eyre Affair was pretty ingenious. As the series continued, the books seemed to start to fall into a hole, but as the holder of an English B.A. and M.A., I was sticking with Fforde for his clever puns, literary allusions, Shakespeare references, and other literature-related nonsense. I was particularly fond of The Well of Lost Plots, not because it was terribly good, but as a writer I appreciated the fantasy of Bookworld and how st
Sandi
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2009, funny-stuff
According to the little pop-up under each star, two stars means "it was okay". And, that's about all I can say about this 5th installment in Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. It was in serious trouble when 75 of the first 100 pages were spent in a pointless jaunt through Book World that seemed to be there only to provide exposition that fans of the series don't really need. Fforde throws out a lot of potential story lines and doesn't follow through with most of them. Absolutely nothing comes ...more
Louize
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I love how Jasper Fforde stitched things together without a flaw.
It's just cockily satisfying how each question was answered in the most unexpected manner and timing. And his name choices were impeccable as ever.
Julie
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it. Love the whole series. Love the author. It's literary sci-fi, literary mystery, just plain literary at it's best. Awesomely clever. Time travel, ghosts, the end of the world (caused by the end of Time), a demon, Danverclones (creepy Mrs. Danvers from du Maurier's Rebecca, cloned into an army of thousands), a "dirty bomb" that if unleashed in an inter-genre war between Racy Novel and Feminist Literature, could "scatter poorly described fornication all across drab theological debate or dr ...more
Carmen
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book-lovers
This book is #5 in the Thursday Next series. Read the other books first! Not a stand-alone.

Thursday Next is retired from Special Ops. Now 52, married with three children: Friday, Tuesday, and Jenny, Thursday Next is working for Acme Carpets.

Except she's really not. Unknown to her darling husband, Thursday has not really given up her dangerous job of keeping the fictional world in order. Blessed with the rare ability to travel in and out of books, Thursday and the other agents of Jurisfiction kee
Paul
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2014
Fourteen years have passed since the last book, and Thursday Next now has a teenage son, now works for a carpet company and has a side income smuggling cheese in from Wales. But all is not right in the world of books. reading rates are falling, Sherlock Holmes has and others have been killed, and they start to think that there is a serial killer loose in bookworld.

On top of that the Goliath corporation is trying to muscle in on travel to bookworld. The carpet company is a front for the real work
Joanna Compton-Mys
All I can say is that half the pleasure of reading Fforde's Thursday Next series is in ferreting out the myriad literary references slipped into the work. The fifth book in the series was no different in this respect, playing in fiction, poetry and the oral tradition.

This was a really fun read that plays with Thursday as both an "outlander" and a member of Jurisfiction, the fictional version of Spec Ops (So27) policing the fictional world's woes, uncannily like and unlike the real world. Set 14
Neil
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whilst this book might be listed as №5 in the Thursday Next series, it is set 14 years after the previous book, so it is almost like a brand new series. The only trouble with that is that so much time is spent filling in the intervening happenings, and scene setting that the first half of the book is quite a slog of a read. There is a fair amount of repetition too.
So things have changed in this fictitious corner of England. Much of SpecOps has been disbanded, and Thursday now finds herself worki
Victoria
3.5* really. A good read. Still enjoying the series. Not quite sure why I haven't just given it 4* but it just doesn't feel like it was quite there. I enjoyed listening to it but I wasn't desperate to pick it up all the time.
Melissa
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much. I’ve shamefully waited almost three year to read the fifth book, but luckily I wasn’t disappointed. Fourteen years have passed since the end of the 4th book and Thursday has adjusted to her life as a wife and mother, though she may not have given up her work as a literary detective quite as completely as she led her husband to believe. Thursday Next, a literary detective, lives with her husband and kids, Friday, Tuesday and Jenny.

I am constantly astounded by Fforde’s
Oriana
Oct 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
One of the endorsements on the back of this book reads, Brainier silliness is hard to find, and I think that's the best encapsulation of Jasper Fforde I've yet to find. He really is the smart person's beach read, or some other such epithet.

This book made me think, though, that really really original artists can sometimes suffer for their singularity. I remember thinking this about Tom Robbins years ago, and it happens with visual artists and musicians too, I'd say. What I mean is that when some
Metaphorosis
I thought the first of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next novels, The Eyre Affair, was fantastic. Funny, literate, clever - a wonderful book, especially for voracious readers. One of the funniest books I've read, and I recommended it to others, bought it for them, and just generally enjoyed it. While the next three books in the series weren't quite as magical, they were also a lot of fun.

By the time I reached the end of Something Rotten, though, I felt the joke had started to run thin. Not that there
Eviltwinjen
Sep 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thursday Next fans...really not a stand-alone.
Shelves: fiction
Ah, Jasper Fforde. I missed you while you were writing the Nursery Crimes books, in which I just couldn't work up much interest. Thursday is what makes these books work--she's loveably contradictory and hard-assed, but also a doting mum who can't stop calling her son "Sweetpea", even when he's an adult version of himself from the future who's threatening to replace her actual (lazy no-good) teenaged son in the present.

In First Among Sequels, the beginning of a new quartet (featuring a now middl
Barbm1020
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
In Jasper Fforde's wonderful book, Thursday Next: First Among Sequels First Among Sequels we find Thursday no longer a young and eager secret agent in the world of literary law enforcement, but a middle-aged wife (of her formerly eradicated but now retrieved husband) and mother of 2 (or possibly 3). The British Archipelago is suffering from a Stupidity Surplus which results in bad decision-making on the part of many government agencies, including an enormous tax on Welsh Cheese imports to Englan ...more
Gayle
Jan 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave myself a breather between this one and Something Rotten, and a good thing I did. I found this one a lot more readable. Thursday is employed by Acme Carpets, which is a front for her Spec Ops group (Spike, Stig, et al), which is a front for her Jurisfiction activities. As Thursday tries to work with assorted versions of herself, she tackles issues of falling Outworld readership, Goliath Corporation's upcoming Austen Rover, and her dead Uncle Mycroft, who has been making ghostly appearances ...more
K
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: REALLY die-hard Thursday Next fans
Bronx cheer to this one.

I finished it, and I didn't finish it, which is typical of the strange paradoxes running through this book which I didn't care enough to invest myself in figuring out. The whole time travel paradox lost me, and I guess I could have sat and tried to wrap my mind around it but by page 50 I was already skimming and the skimming grew increasingly careless and superficial as I plowed through the rest of the book (hence the finished/unfinished dichotomy).

I give Jasper Fforde a
Nicole
Nov 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-satire
Seemed to meander and rehash things from previous books at first, though there were plenty of little things to chuckle at. I don't care for the ChronoGuard plotlines as much as I enjoy the Jurisfiction stuff, and that may explain part of the problem I had with it. However, once it got going and settled into answering some of the key questions, it got better. Certainly a nice, light, entertaining read for word nerds.
Katy
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, series, 2013
after 'something rotten', i thought i just needed a Thursday Next respite... but i think now, Thursday and I need a clean break. The quirky, funny things about BookWorld and the Outland and Jurisfiction were all just a muddied jumble in this one. I was never quite sure which storyline to invest in, there were 3 mediocre plots happening the entire time. Unsatisfying ending that led to a terrible "stay continued for our next adventure!!" cliffhanger.
Bailey
Fun as always, though I didn't go into it intending to read two books about the erasure of time travel simultaneously. Plods along a bit, but the setup for the next book is fantastic and i can't wait to dive in.
Thursday's Disdain for First Four Books 8 52 Apr 26, 2013 12:02AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: First Among Sequels 1 5 Apr 23, 2012 05:56AM
  • Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)
  • Letters from LA
  • The Toyminator
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • The Spellmans Strike Again (The Spellmans, #4)
  • Making Money (Discworld, #36; Moist Von Lipwig, #2)
  • Ten Second Staircase (Bryant & May, #4)
  • House of Meetings
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • The Automatic Detective
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
  • The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #4)
  • The Bookwoman's Last Fling (Cliff Janeway, #5)
Jasper Fforde is a novelist living in Wales. He is the son of John Standish Fforde, the 24th Chief Cashier for the Bank of England, whose signature used to appear on sterling banknotes, and is cousin of Desmond Fforde, married to author Katie Fforde. His early career was spent as a focus puller in the film industry, where he worked on a number of films including Quills, GoldenEye, and Entrapment.

H
More about Jasper Fforde...

Thursday Next (8 books)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)
  • The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7)
  • Dark Reading Matter (Thursday Next, #8)
“Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world.” 482 likes
“Two minds with but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one.” 271 likes