Start by marking “Invisible” as Want to Read:
Invisible

Invisible

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  14,299 Ratings  ·  1,113 Reviews
Sinuously constructed in four interlocking parts, 'Invisible' opens in New York City 1967, when 21 year-old Adam Walker meets Rudolf Born and his silent and seductive girlfriend Margot. Before long Walker finds himself caught in a perverse triangle that leads to a sudden, shocking act of violence that will alter the course of his life.
Published 2009 by Faber and Faber

To ask other readers questions about Invisible, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Candido Tomás
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Helene Jeppesen
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100 out of 5 stars!! One of my favourite books by Paul Auster <3
Shovelmonkey1
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who liked LOST and therefore don't expect an ending
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list and all Austers previous work
If you like to read a book with a nice story that makes sense and has a moral/point/definitive ending then you will not want to be friends with Paul Auster. Put the book down, that's it...gently..., now off you go and find something else to read.

If on the other hand you can't be dissuaded and carry on reading this the first thing to know is that you should probably disregard the blurb on the back - it only applies to the first 72 pages of the book. Maybe the person who wrote the blurb only got t
Blair
This is what fiction should be, in my opinion. Absolutely dazzling, believable yet at times shocking, intellectual without being predictable or dry, compulsively readable but never inane, and above all, completely effortless.

Invisible addresses three seasons in the life of a young man, Adam Walker. In 1967, Adam - a university student and wannabe poet - meets a French professor, Rudolf Born, at a party. What follows is a strange series of events culminating in two main outcomes: the first is Ada
Anna
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ένα εξαιρετικά γραμμένο βιβλίο, με τους ήρωες άψογα ψυχογραφημένους. Η γραφή του ήταν μαεστρικά δομημένη, με τους αφηγητές να αλλάζουν διαρκώς και να χρησιμοποιούνται διάφορα μέσα και τρόποι αφήγησης: πρώτο πρόσωπο, τρίτο πρόσωπο, ξανά πρώτο και τέλος πάλι τρίτο. Οι αφηγητές εναλλάσσονταν, κι εμείς διαβάζαμε προσωπικές διηγήσεις, σημειώσεις, ημερολόγια, εντυπώσεις, ενώ ταξιδεύαμε διαρκώς από το 1967 στο 2007 και αντίστροφα.

Δεν με ενθουσίασε γιατί δεν δέθηκα με κανέναν ήρωα. Δεν τους αντιπάθησα,
Fabian
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Paul Auster novel so far. But if you've read "Oracle Night", "New York Trilogy", "Book of Illusions", then you've totally read "Invisible." The brand is unique*, but the plotless-ness can become quite disconcerting. I THOROUGHLY dug this one, reading it all in a day.

* "Timbuktu" is the only one of his that's not "meta." Just really really sad.
Max
Aug 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the worst book I've read in 2010. I couldnt even finish it; the thought of having to read another 100 pages of drivel led me to thumb through the last pages, only to realize I wasn't missing anything.
How an author that wrote great novels such as The Book of Illusions or Man in The Dark can produce a book that contains no believable characters, no real story and only superficial and empty phrases is a mystery to me. The main character is a spineless loser, whose greatest accomplish
João Carlos
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l2015, bab

Paul Auster (n. 1947) - Ilustração de André Carrilho

5 Estrelas Invisíveis

O escritor norte-americano Paul Auster (n. 1947) publica ”Invisível em 2009, o seu décimo quinto romance, o meu nono reencontro com um dos escritores mais originais e emblemáticos da literatura contemporânea.
”Invisível” está subdividido em quatro capítulos e três narradores, numa história fragmentada, na primeira, segunda e terceira pessoa.
(view spoiler)
Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
To say I liked this book, or even enjoyed it, would be saying too much. But I thought it was good, which is why I'm giving it four stars. It was good, even though I found nothing and no one within the pages likable or sympathetic. Actually, a lot of it was disturbing. Thinking a book is good while at the same time disliking it is not an experience I've had often, if ever. I have no desire ever to revisit this book.
Tosh
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think a lot of people have given up on Auster, after his series of novels in the 21st Century. But "Invisible," his new one is a winner. He's a guy who keeps on working, no matter what, so you have to appreciate his work habits - but to me as a reader and once fan, well.. his novels became a boring horror show.

And just as I was about to heap him to junk history, his new novel arrives and it's an incredible narrative ride. I think Auster's technique or secret is that he is very much a page-turn
Allie Riley
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1967 was a pivotal year for Adam Walker, for it was then, when he was a twenty-year-old student in New York, that he met the enigmatic Rudolph Bern and his then partner Margot at a party. Following the party he is witness to a murder and the consequences of that ripple throughout the novel. Combined with incest and intrigue these events keep you gripped to the very end. Nothing is quite as it seems and, even now, I am not entirely sure of the exact truth.

With regard to style, there are, effecti
Dagio_maya
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
"Chi conosce i desideri segreti di una persona?"

E' il 1967 quando il ventenne Adam Walker conosce per caso Rudolf Born:

"una bella faccia larga senza tratti caratteristici (una faccia, per così dire, generica, una faccia che in mezzo a qualsiasi folla sarebbe diventata invisibile)...".

Il racconto, in prima persona, è permeato dallo sforzo di ricordare eventi che risalgono a quarant'anni prima dove l'incontro con Rudolf Born e la fidanzata Margot è il perno su cui ruota il destino del giovan
Roberto
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, già-letto
Invisibile è un libro molto particolare, letterariamente complesso, che mi ha catturato subito. Auster ha una tecnica narrativa perfetta ed è bravissimo a mantenere piani narrativi in continuo cambiamento.

"Scrivendo su di me in terza persona, mi sono soffocato e reso invisibile me stesso, rendendo impossibile trovare la cosa che stavo cercando".

Il romanzo è costituito da varie parti che svelano a poco a poco la trama costringendoci ad analizzarla vedendola da angolazioni diverse.

Il protagonist
Grazia
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ancora sotto l'effetto della lettura... molto avvicente, costruito in una maniera perfetta.

Il romanzo prende il lettore e lo trascina in un vortice di cambi di scena, di cambi di punti di vista, di cambi di stile narrativo, e il lettore, almeno a me è capitato così, immedesimato e coinvolto "beve", segue, a volte perplesso, a volte smarrito, le vicende in cui viene calato da Auster.

Il romanzo è difficile da riassumere, e non lo voglio neppure riassumere, troppo è il gusto della lettura, e per f
Miquel Reina
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-books, pearl
Invisible was the first book I read from Paul Auster and since then I think that the famous American author is one of the best writers of our time. Invisible is an intelligent and extremely well-written novel, Auster is a magician of words and twists. However, I have to say that although I liked the novel, I thought that the ending would be much more powerful.

Spanish version:
Invisible fue el primer libro que leí de paul Auster y desde entonces creo que el autor americano es uno de los mejores
Reza
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ناپیدا اولین کتاب من از پل آستر بود که خوندم و به همین دلیل انتظار خاصی از نویسنده نداشتم ولی بعد خوندن ناپیدا ازش راضی بودم. و صدالبته ناپیدا آخرین کتاب من از آستر هم نخواهد بود هرگز. سبک و استایل آستر رو دوست داشتم. چرا که پیچیده است.ناپیدا پر از شخصیت های پیچیده ای است که به سختی می شود آنها کامل شناخت و درک کرد. وقتی شروع کردم خوندنش رو, بی وقفه تا آخرش خوندم و جذبم کرد..ناپیدای پل آستر رو بخونید..منکه راضی بودم
ناپیدا- پل آستر
M.
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kurgu dehası kitaplardan birisidir bence bu.
Sam Quixote
My feelings are conflicted with this book. I didn't hate it. I got through the book in 4 days, not rushing, and found Auster's style of writing still as compelling and easy to read as ever. On the other hand the story, while readable and familiar, just wasn't as compelling as I think Auster must have thought it was and neither was the bad guy nearly as menacing or complex.

Paul Auster is a literary writer and is a highly respected, bestselling writer of post modern stories. Yet despite this he c
Gladia
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spring:
New York: Walker meets Born at a party and the professor, just a few days later and for no good reason, offers to give money to the young student to make a literary magazine. Their professional partnership soon dies when Born stabs to death a boy who's trying to rob him and Walker.
The story is weak since the very beginning and lacks of imagination to explain most of the events. Walker is depicted as a reasonable character but Born, an opinionated on everything French professor who seems t
Chris Dietzel
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first part of this book seemed uninspired, and I got the impression that this might be the first of Auster's books I didn't enjoy. But by Part 2 it had my attention and parts 3 and 4 were as good as the author's other books. An odd aside: Auster's titles are usually very obvious in their meaning to the story. However, I still don't know why this one was titled "Invisible."
Jim Coughenour
One rainy spring night back in 1987, I wandered into Guild Bookstore (Lincoln Avenue, Chicago, extinct) and was beguiled by a sexy set of hardbacks – The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster – an author I'd never heard of. Guild was known more for its selection of esoteric lectures by Noam Chomksy than for modernist fiction; this set, published by Sun & Moon Press, looked like something I'd expect to find at the Art Institute. The books had a cool stylish look (including the author photo); the pr ...more
Romain
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
"Si comme moi vous lisez pour éprouver le plaisir de tomber amoureux d'un roman, alors lisez Invisible. C'est le meilleur roman que Paul Auster ait jamais écrit.". Ces propos ne sont pas de moi mais de Clancy Martin un journaliste du New York Times. C'est après les avoir lu, au dos du numéro du magasine Lire du mois d'avril, que j'ai décidé de courir acheter ce nouvel opus de Paul Auster. Même si ça me gène profondément d'être à ce point manipulable par la publicité, je ne vais pas m'en plaindre ...more
Ginny_1807
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visibile mestiere
Intrigante romanzo interamente giocato sull’ambiguità, il dubbio e il mistero. Finendo di leggerlo, non senza una vaga sensazione di sgomento, per prima cosa si è indotti ad interrogarsi sul significato del titolo : che cosa (o chi) è invisibile? Certamente la verità.
Gli eventi, infatti, vengono presentati in una continua oscillazione di punti di vista e di interpretazione, sia per le tecniche narrative adottate (« io » narrante, seconda e terza persona, lettera, trascrizione d
George-Icaros Babassakis
Κυλάει καὶ πάει κι ἔρχεται κι ἔχει κόλπα ὡραῖα. Λαμπρὴ ἡ μετάφραση τοῦ Σπύρου Γιανναρᾶ.
Τὸ διάβασα. Ὁ Paul Auster γράφει μὲ ἄνεση μεταβαίνοντας ἀπὸ τὸ πρῶτο στὸ δεύτερο καὶ ἐν συνεχεία στὸ τρίτο ἑνικό. Ἀτμόσφαιρα ποὺ μοῦ θύμισε τὸν Κρυμμένο τοῦ Χάνεκε. Παρίσι. Μυστήριο. Σίξτις. Δυνατοὶ χαρακτῆρες. Ὁργανικὰ δεμένες οἱ ἀναφορές. Ὁ Payl Auster γράφει σὰν νὰ χαρτογραφεῖ τὸ ὡραῖο πρόσωπό του. Ὡς πρὸς τὴν ερωτικὴ σχέση ἀνάμεσα σὲ ἀδέλφια, ἡ Ada τοῦ Ναμπόκοφ παραμένει ἀξεπέραστη.
Bookmarks Magazine
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jan-feb-2010
Invisible contains many of the hallmarks of Auster's trade: formal literary devices and stylistic high jinks, psychological depth, elegant prose, and the manipulation of information, voices, and stories. Told against the background of 40 years of history, with shame and colonial guilt ever present, Invisible feels "warmer and more human than the stuff he's famous for" (San Francisco Chronicle) as well as less contrived and more hopeful. Indeed, notes the New York Times Book Review, it's "a love ...more
Inaniel
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-readings
It was the perfect book for a lazy sunday. Doing nothing but reading and drinking coffee. I enjoyed it so much that I read it in one sitting.
Marcello S
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Un ultimo sguardo a Gwyn. Vedi lacrime negli occhi di tua sorella, ma non sai se sono per te o per tua madre, se sono un’espressione di angoscia personale o di solidarietà per la donna affranta che ha pianto fra le braccia di suo figlio. Adesso che è arrivata la fine vorresti che Gwyn soffrisse quanto stai soffrendo tu. Il dolore è la sola cosa che ora vi tenga uniti, e a meno che il suo dolore sia grande come il tuo, non resterà piú nulla del piccolo universo perfetto in cui hai vissuto il mes ...more
Chris
Dec 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Even the overly used and dependable Marmite saying ‘Love it or Hate it’ isn’t appropriate for ‘Invisible’, Paul Auster’s latest novel. ‘Love it AND Hate it’ is more suitable.

I’ve been an enthusiast of Paul Auster’s writing since I read his ‘New York Trilogy’, which I coincidently found in Manhattan earlier this year. So was looking forward to reading his latest work.

The ‘Love It’ bit..
In true Auster style, he provides a master class in creating amazingly descriptive narration. Auster cleverly g
K.D. Absolutely
Apr 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ace
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2010 edition)
Shelves: 1001-non-core
Anastasia
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ιδιαίτερο,ευκολοδιάβαστο, μα καθόλου εύπεπτο...νοιώθεις ένα σφίξιμο καθώς το προχωράς,κι εκεί που φτάνεις προς το τέλος και περιμένεις ένα κρεσέντο....φλαπππ,πέφτεις στο κενό....deadline... ο ασθενής απεβίωσε, μα μην τον αφήνεις έτσι να αιωρείται....ναι, το τέλος με απογοήτευσε...
Sara Mazzoni
Invisibile è un romanzo succinto. Il suo ritmo è dato dal continuo divenire della narrazione, che cambia tempi e persone, sterza bruscamente, fa rivelazioni improbabili, raccontando il 1967 del protagonista Walker e seguendo un presente narrativo (2007) relegato al racconto cornice, saltando a piedi pari i 40 anni trascorsi nel mezzo. 1967 è anche il titolo del romanzo (nel romanzo) incompiuto scritto da Walker.

La storia si compie attraverso un passato che ritorna continuamente nel presente: lo
  • Kieron Smith, Boy
  • Measuring the World
  • Sylvia
  • The Talk of the Town
  • Blood on the Forge
Paul Auster is the bestselling author of Report from the Interior, Winter Journal, Sunset Park, Invisible, The Book of Illusions, and The New York Trilogy, among many other works. He has been awarded the Prince of Asturias Prize for Literature, the Prix Médicis Étranger, the Independent Spirit Award, and the Premio Napoli. He is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, the American Ac ...more
More about Paul Auster...
“You're too good for this world, and because of that the world will eventually crush you.” 182 likes
“He wonders if words aren't an essential element of sex, if talking isn't finally a more subtle form of touching, and if the images dancing in our heads aren't just as important as the bodies we hold in our arms. Margot tells him that sex is the one thing in life that counts for her, that if she couldn't have sex she would probably kill herself to escape the boredom and monotony of being trapped inside her own skin. Walker doesn't say anything, but as he comes into her for the second time, he realizes that he shares her opinion. He is mad for sex. Even in the grip of the most crushing despair, he is mad for sex. Sex is the lord and the redeemer, the only salvation on earth.” 17 likes