Start by marking “Moon Rabbit” as Want to Read:

Moon Rabbit

Could there be someone out there?
Another little rabbit just like her?
That is what Little Rabbit wonders one moonlit night. She loves living in the city. She has a wonderful home. Her favorite café. A park to play in. But sometimes she is just a little . . . lonely. And then one night, as the moon shines brightly, Little Rabbit meets Brown Rabbit. Could he be the friend
Published May 28th 2009 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Rabbit

Start your review of Moon Rabbit
Kathryn
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I just adore Little Rabbit and Brown Rabbit. They are sooo cute! I had inadvertently checked out the sequel to this book first (Brown Rabbit in the City) and absolutely loved it. I didn’t take to this one quite as much—not sure if this was the fault of the story itself or just because there wasn’t the novelty there anymore—but it’s still a sweet story of fr ...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young children
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
While I love children’s picture books apparently I can sometimes be an old curmudgeon. I say this even though I liked this book, quite a bit. As a young child (the targeted audience) I would most likely have asked to be read this again and again and again.

I’m not sure why I didn’t love it now. I really like the inventive illustrations. in particular the moon is great! I loved that books and reading are part of the story. The friendship story is sweet.

For me though, it was
Tamara
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
City bunny meets country bunny, and though they feel a strong connection, the pull of home separates them. Luckily, the ending leads to a happy compromise!

One of those books that I want to tear apart so I can hang the illustrations on my walls as art. The moon is perfect. The bunnies are perfect. The trees are perfect.

Eliza Taylor
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely story about a rabbit who lives in a big city and wonders if there are any other rabbits out there like her until one day she finds another rabbit like her. They have a great time playing music together until she starts to miss her home in the big city so she returns to it but feeling happy and content that there was someone else out there like her.
This story could be used as a picture book to read to young children (Reception/ Year 1/ Year 2) and a discussion could be stimulated with c
Sheena O'connell
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Moon Rabbit
This is a beautifully illustrated book by Natalie Russell. It tells a story about a little rabbit who liked living in the city with her own place to stay, her favourite café and so many thing to do. However at night time the little rabbit often felt lonely in the big city and often looked up at the moon and wondered if there was someone out there. Someone she could play with and have fun with. Often little rabbit would escape from the city and read her book in the park. One day
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
this book is probably for a younger kid (Logan is 6.5), but he loves gentle books about animals and so this was a winner. The illustrations are frame-worthy; arty without being too weird for the younger set. Moon rabbit loves the city, but when she finds herself in a more rural setting, she meets sweet guitar-playing brown rabbit and they become fast friends. In time, however, she misses the city and returns home, issuing an invitation for brown rabbit to come visit her. Ripe for a sequel, as it ...more
Tatiana
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a sparse, sweet book of a chic city bunny called Little Rabbit, who enjoys her metropolitan life, but longs for a different kind of friend. She runs into Brown Rabbit in the park, a more countrified bunny that enjoys playing his guitar and making his new friend laugh. Both rabbits play games, have a picnic, dance, and watch the sun rise together.

A kind tale of new friendship, recommended for ages five and up.
Boni
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I would have given the story a three (gentle friendship story, doesn't really break new ground or anything), but the illustrations! Adore them. Bump to a four star.
Sharon
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
Although I thought this was a sweet story about making a new friend. It seemed to fall flat with my story time kids. I don't understand why... perhaps I didn't sell it well enough, perhaps it was the mix of the group? I don't know... I will definitely try to present this one again later this summer.
Viviane Elbee
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the artwork in this book, and the title is so beautiful.

The story is slightly similar to a city mouse, country mouse story, though with a big city rabbit who meets a park rabbit and a friendship theme.

Kids voted to give this book 5 stars.
Jenna Vidal
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book in a second hand shop and was immediately drawn to it. It is beautiful tale of how everything means nothing without friendship. It won't be hailed as a children's classic, but it's short and sweet.
Celinda Daniel
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was supposed to be a gift for my daugther, and it is! In double sense... it is a beautiful and sweet story, but at same time it represents exactely how me and her dad met, fel in love and became her parents... I just love to read it and tell her his is our story, her story.
Kate
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2017
Sara Robertson
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
A cute book but the title doesn't seen to fit the story. The rabbit looks at the moon, I think twice.
A sweet story about making a new friend but I won't pick it up from the library again.
ErynnMarie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A lovely book with beautiful illustrations and a sweet story
Morgan
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Very cute and sweet. I read this one to our library day camp, the Explorer's Club, and they seemed to enjoy it. The illustrations were nice!
Elizabeth Menchaca
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Little rabbit lives in the big city and she loves it. Every where she goes there is fun things to do and interesting things to see and not to mention that there is all kinds of people around, but regardless little bunny feels lonely, at night as she looks up at the moon she wonders if somewhere in the vast world there is another bunny just like her. One day she dozes off in the park while reading her book and is Suddenly awakened by beautiful music coming from afar mystified by the music she fol ...more
Mehsi
I finally found the first book in this series (the second book is: Brown Rabbit in the City which I also reviewed). This book tells us all about how the white rabbit met with the brown rabbit, and how they became friends. :)

As I said in my review about the Brown Rabbit book, I was curious if there were more books, at times I felt like I had missed a part of the story, and well, after reading this one... I can say that this one contains all the answers I was searching for.

Annie Xu
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Moon Rabbit is a lovely children's book about a little rabbit who lives in the city that offers so many things to see and do. But the one thing she doesn't have is a friend to share all those experiences with. She wonders if there is someone out there, just like her, where she can spend time with. The author does a great job depicting the city in the background. She especially makes the moon a certain pattern that could be found throughout the book. It was very smart and clever of the author to ...more
Kate
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The first book, Moon Rabbit tells the story of Little Rabbit who has a wonderful home; Her favorite cafe and a park to play in. But sometimes she is just a little . . . lonely. Until one night, as the moon shines brightly, Little Rabbit meets Brown Rabbit and finds a new friend.
The second book, Brown Rabbit in The City focuses more on Brown Rabbit as he is preparing to make his first-ever trip to the city to visit his best friend, Little Rabbit. But the visit doesn’t go quite as planned. L
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picturebook
I was instantly charmed by the illustrations, a soft folksy style full of whimsy but found the story a little boring and trite. Perhaps I'm just not in a mood to be entertained by picture books. I just wish that the author had been illustrating something else because her colours and style are unique and refreshing but the city-mouse/country-mouse story was a little unexpected and contains an odd and seemingly unexplained longing for home once the little rabbit has found someone like her to be co ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I think I was tricked into this by the silver foil in the moon on the cover. Unfortunately, the actual book has no silver foil, and the story is dull and derivative of things like The Rabbits' Wedding and Home for a Bunny and the billion trite books about being oh-so-lonely and finally finding a friend.
Eva Kelly
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So in this one the little white rabbit has to decide whether she wants to live in the city OR whether she wants to be close to her friend the brown rabbit. But guess what? She didn't even have to pick because the brown rabbit came to see her IN the city on the bus. So she got the best of both worlds.
I think this story is kind of like Mama and Tanya, except the white rabbit doesn't have red hair. But except for that, it's the same story, kind of.
So maybe in the next book they should g
Jen
This is a charming story about Little Rabbit, (view spoiler) ...more
Liza Gilbert
Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a passable picture book. Little Rabbit lives in the city and longs for something more when she looks at the moon. She meets Brown Rabbit, who plays guitar in the park, and Little Rabbit realizes she likes the park, too. The idea of finding something more in life is just fine, but Russell doesn't take it far enough to have a memorable impact. The art is cute, but again, not cute enough to make a strong impression.
BooksWithMummy
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Yes this book has a delightful cover. Yes the illustrations throughout this book are stunning... So is it not worth bumping up the star rating?? - I'm afraid not.

Rabbit is a lonely gal in the Big Smoke looking for a friend. It will resonate with many adults who have struggled with singledom in the midst of bustling city life. I'm afraid I found this terribly melancholic while my 3 year old was nonplussed.

I would not recommend this book.
Kelsey
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Age: Kindergarten - 2nd grade

An adorable, adult bunny loves the city but longs for friendship. In the park after dark, she finds another musically inclined bunny guitarist. Eventually she longs for home but now has a friend to visit her.

Absolutely gorgeous artwork, but a somewhat mundane story. Also throws "stranger danger" to the wind so it will be better for older kids that understand this concept better.
Ro Menendez
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The illustrations that surround Little Rabbit were what first pulled me towards this book. Little Rabbit lives in a city reminiscent of France and loves her life although she wonders if there are others like her in the world. This story sets the stage for exploring how friendships can continue even when there is distance and how friends don't need to be a carbon copy of each other to bond.
Karla
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderfully illustrated with simple line drawings and soft pastels, this is the story of Little Rabbit, who loves her life in the city but who longs for a friend ~ another little rabbit just like her. Is there someone out there for her she wonders as she looks up at the moon. A lovely simple story of friendship.
Dawn
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really love the illustrations and colors used in this book. The style is reminiscent of block prints. The story is about a city rabbit who meets a country rabbit, but finds that she misses her life in the city. The color pallette is celadon, slate blue, melon, tangerine, olive, and seafoam. A bit too long for story time.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Julián Is a Mermaid
  • There Are No Bears in This Bakery
  • I'm Bored
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • Open This Little Book
  • The Lost Book
  • Dear Girl,
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • That Is Not a Good Idea!
  • Sweety
  • A Chick 'n' Pug Christmas
  • Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!
  • What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?
  • Waiting is Not Easy! (Elephant & Piggie, #22)
  • I Broke My Trunk! (Elephant & Piggie, #14)
  • Bear's New Friend
  • Olivia Saves the Circus
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
I was born in Dundee in 1972 into a fantastic family. Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be an artist — everyone in my family is artistic so it seemed just the right thing to do. When I was little my dad would draw pictures for me to colour in — they were always great. I loved drawing, painting and making things and still do. In 1993, after completely an HND course in illustration and graphic ...more