Start by marking “Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)

Fool Moon

(The Dresden Files #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  159,515 ratings  ·  7,154 reviews
Harry Dresden--Wizard
Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry
Published January 1st 2001 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Fool Moon, please sign up.
Dalyce Lazaris I can't stand the "drama" between him and Murphy, her "finding out secrets" and suddenly thinking he's a murderer. If this same plot line happens in b…moreI can't stand the "drama" between him and Murphy, her "finding out secrets" and suddenly thinking he's a murderer. If this same plot line happens in book 3, I might have to call it quits. (less)

·  159,515 ratings  ·  7,154 reviews

Start your review of Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
Kat Kennedy
I've been told this series gets good at book three. Someone else said book four. Another, book six.

I promised to read until book seven, and I will. But Harry is seriously, seriously shitting me.

Harry Dresden is a Wizard private eye who works largely with the Chicago police department's Special Investigations officer, Murphy.

He has the most over-developed Hero complex of any protagonist I've ever read, to the point of ridiculous. I'm almost wondering whether his subconscious is guiding him toward
Regan
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sold continuation
Petrik
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 stars

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden has a new case to solve: The werewolves are here.

Fool Moon is the second book in The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Although the story takes place six months after the end of Storm Front, I do think that it worked great as a standalone. If someone was to, accidentally, start their journey with the series from here, I doubt they’ll feel like they miss anything crucial. As far as the quality of the book goes, I’ll say that this is slightly weak
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I’m not reviewing all books any more. Because I don’t want to

🖤🐶🐺🐾
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

BR with my peeps at: Buddies Books and Baubles

Specifically: Robin (Bridge Four) , Jennavier , Jenny , Lila , oOSarahOo , Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost) , and Steven

I don't know if it was the lowered expectations from being told by every-friggin'-body that DRESDEN doesn't start "getting good" until book 3 or 4, or if it was how much cooler the book was than the TV episode based on this same installment, or something else entirely . . .

The
J.L.   Sutton
The Dresden Files

The good, the bad and the Harry! So on the good side of Fool Moon, Jim Butcher keeps you intrigued about what will happen next and thus turning pages. Then there's a cool werewolf variant. Butcher is also great at fight scenes and there are plenty of them in this book. That brings me to both the good and the bad because while I'm reading I sometimes forget that I don't really like drawn out fight scenes. Just not my thing.

As for the Harry, I liked Harry and the world created around him; however
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
►►► Today is your lucky day. Yes it is.

Want know why? Well this was going to be one of my never-ending, ever-rambling reviews. This was going to be an ode to the awesomeness that is Harry D. I was going to go all "blah blah blah this is fantastic, blah blah blah this is so cool, blah blah blah Harry D. I love you even though you're not an asshole, blah blah blah I love what you do with your staff, blah blah blah blah blah blah" on you.

But I won't. Because as much as I love Harry I don't have t
Adina
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

I can’t believe it took me more than 3 years to read the follow up to Storm Front ( the 1st in the series). I enjoyed the first one but somehow other books seemed more interesting than continuing with this series. Well, it will not take that long to start the 3rd volume.

Ok, maybe I know why I did not run towards this book. It is about werewolves and other shapeshifters which are not my favorite but I enjoyed it despite their presence ( the same way I tolerate them in Kate Daniels series).

I
Markus

I looked up through the clear night at the almost-full moon. Werewolves jumping through windows at gangster's lackeys in unfinished restaurants. A mangled corpse in the middle of a blood-drenched floor. Berserk FBI field agents drawing guns and shooting to kill. A little kung fu, a little John Wayne, and a few casual threats.
So far, I thought, my nerves jangling, just one more night on the job.

Ah, the Dresden Files. Modern-day pulp fiction, and yet so fun to read.

Harry Dresden’s career
Lyn
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fool Moon is Jim Butcher’s second Harry Dresden novel, first published in 2001 to wild acclaim and popularity.

And why not? Butcher knew back then that he had a winning formula and he does. Cool and charismatic protagonist, excellent world building, and a fun set of magic rules to make even the most cynical of urban fantasy readers to tune in like a Cubs-Sox game on WGN. Even Coach Ditka would no doubt no reveal a hint of a smile behind the sunglasses and mustache and say in a mid-western twang,
Conor
This was an alright read but not one that has left me eager to tear into the next 13 books already published in this series. There was quite a bit of world-building, especially about werewolves, but I didn't find it particularly immersive. Like in the first book Butcher's attempts to integrate fantasy into the modern world feel kind of forced and these 2 worlds still don't relate to each other in a believable or compelling way.

I also struggled with the characters in this one. Harry was frustrat
Jody
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another fun romp through the streets of Chicago with my favorite wizarding detective, Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. In Fool Moon Harry manages to get himself in even more trouble than he did in book 1. But he always manages to come out the other side. Not unscathed though, as he did manage to take quite a beating in his quest to solve the crime.

Fool Moon starts out with Lieutenant Murphy again asking for Harry’s help on a murder case that seems beyond the bounds of mere human a
Penny
Update 03-11-11(2): So my last update was hastily written, and in anger. Now that I've had time to cool off and think clearly I'm feeling bad. So here's another, less in-your-face way of saying it:

Warning: this review contains cheekiness. Please do not be offended or take this review too seriously as it is meant in jest. If you are a serious Dresden fan this review is probably not for you. So you should just read another review, k. Have a nice day. :)

Update 03-11-11: I've pretty much had it wit
Justin
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I've copied my review from two years ago below, and I feel like it is pretty much on point with how I feel after reading the book a second time. Not really sure if I need to say much more. The only parts I really enjoyed were the scenes that alluded to Harry's past. I'm sticking around for more of that down the road, I hope.

The first half wasn't bad, and the book actually felt like it ended halfway through. It should have ended there. There's a big scene in the middle followed by a whole
Liam Degnan
“‎It isn't enough to stand up and fight darkness. You've got to stand apart from it, too. You've got to be different from it.”

2.5 Stars .

Unless things drastically improve by book three, I think it's safe to say that The Dresden Files is one of the most overrated series of all time. At least the first two books, anyway ;]. For the life of me, I can't figure out why these are so outrageously popular. A good friend of mine read them around the same time that I did, and these were t
Will M.
A gruesome murder comes along, and Harry Dresden's expertise is needed. A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon.

I really liked the first book of the series, and I was expecting a lot more from this. The premise screams werewolves, and that's actually my favorite supernatural creature. Werewolves are badass and ruthless, but once again, Butcher had his own take on the supernatural. He sort of mellowed it down, and made it more realistic. I don't hate his imaginative t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2), Jim Butcher
Fool Moon is a 2001 contemporary fantasy novel by author Jim Butcher. It is the second novel in The Dresden Files, which follows the character of Harry Dresden, present-day Chicago's only professional wizard. After the events in Storm Front, Kim Delaney, whom Dresden helped to control her magical talents, asks Dresden how to create a set of three magical circles, which could be used to contain powerful entities. Dresden withholds the information, beca
Heidi The Reader
Back into the world of Harry Dresden through another excellent audio book presentation. Between Fool Moon and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, I've been reading about werewolves a lot. Not that I'm complaining.

The interesting premise of this book is that there are multiple ways to become a werewolf and it explores the problems associated with each. I enjoyed the juxtaposition and creativity the author showed in developing the different types. I always assumed a werewolf was just an unfortunate who rece
Tommye Turner
SPOILER FREE

Despite the monster-of-the-week vibe I’m getting from the first two books in this series, I really enjoyed reading this one. Urban fantasy was never my sort of thing, but Butcher’s writing is funny, engaging, and makes me want to flip onto the next page every time.

After thinking about this one for a bit, I think I can now see some hints at a larger plot developing that I am looking forward to exploring. I love fantasy books that feel like there is more going on than we see – in the
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy read with a few friends at Buddies Books and Baubles.

description

Harry Dresden is going to grow on me. We have been on two outings now and already I see some real potential in this budding relationship between us.

Harry has a few things in his positive column right now:

✔ - Cool friends and acquaintances:
Bob – The skull animated by a sexually adventurous wind spirit who has the memory skills of a computer and a potions master status equivalent to Severus Snape.

Chauncy - Harry’s demon buddy who seems
TS Chan
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Fool Moon started to show promising signs of improvement over the first book, even though most fans indicate that the series really only get better from Book 3 or 4 onwards.

I definitely enjoyed Harry more as a character in this book as he just felt so real. His tendencies for hilarious soliloquy or internal monologues while facing dangerous and grim circumstances might be a tad cheesy sometimes but it was fun and I think it worked for stories like these. Harry's backstory was also bei
Choko
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 3.85 ***

There are werewolves on the loose and making trouble in the city of Chicago. A friend of Harry's has been killed and the Police and the FBI can't decide on if they should use Dresden as a source and consultant, or if they should look him up and throw away the keys... It is a good thing that he has some interesting acquaintances who might find it in their best interest to help him out and get him out of tight spots.

This is the second book in the Dresden Files series and we are still t
Kate Lansky
May 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A friend of mine adores this series, and sent my husband and me the entire thing. It showed up at our door in a big amazon box, and well, we got to reading. My husband is two books ahead of me, and promises me that things improve.

I dearly hope he's right.

First off, Butcher tries to pile WAY too much into this book. I hope this isn't a massive surprise, but guess what - this book is about werewolves. Now, you know how authors and movie makers, etc. will tell you "If you show the gun, you have to
Scott  Hitchcock
90% of this book was a snorefest. It felt like one Adam 12 (look it up) in book form with a wizard thrown in. Then we get to the end and it turns awesome making me wonder if I should continue this or not. I know everybody says this gets better as the books go on but if he wastes the first quarter of every book letting us know who Harry is I won't make it. The last part when Harry transforms, to be vague and not spoil anything, is awesome. Great thought process and action.
Gary
This book is a fast paced urban fantasy novel that succeeds because of the likable characters and the well-designed world. Harry, the main character, is an archetypal everyman with spells.
The novel builds on the basic werewolf premise, but quickly evolves into a creative and original spin on what would seem a well told (or otherwise worn out) type of tale. The author’s skill, ingenuity and craftiness keep the plot fresh and entertaining.
The book borders on victim literature as Harry struggles t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I can't review this properly. Harry Dresden took me right out of my book funk. I mean, who can be in a funk while listening to James Marsters??? No one! It is a proven fact.

I don't even care that James Marsters makes all of his characters sound almost the same. I don't care that he swallows and clears his throat all the time. His voice is perfect for Harry Dresden and I love him for it.

I love Bob the skull, I love how Harry cries when he is injured like a real person, I love the world that Jim
Brad
Jim Butcher achieves something that no other authors of urban fantasy have done (at least not the ones I've read); he expresses how wonderful it is to be producing magic in a world like ours.

I don't expect characters to be jazzed about their magic skills in a classic fantasy world, where magic is like bowling and everyone knows about it, most people have dabbled, but only a few can bowl anywhere near a perfect score.

Nor do I expect wizards to remain wide-eyed about their skills if they find them
Richard Derus
Rating: 3* of five

Someone help me here. These are compulsively readable books, and I grant Butcher full props for the ability to pace a story and parse a sentence with equal facility (not all that faint of a praise, believe you me), but these books have some je ne sais quoi that makes them into bestsellers.

WHAT IS IT?!?

I was interested enough in the story to read it in one long sitting, but upon sober reflection, I cannot begin to tell you why. It's not that good of a book. It's not a completely
Lindsey Rey
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fantasy, 2015
Really enjoying this series! Can't wait for book 3!
Philip
2.5ish stars.

I didn't love it.

Not that it's any worse than the first book, which sounds like a condemnation but it's not. The first book, Storm Front, was pretty good; it got my attention. I was expecting things to build on it in this book and beyond but, if anything, it feels to me like a "two steps back" situation. The decrease in rating is a reflection of frustrated expectations more than a reflection of decrease in quality.

Again, I didn't think the writing or the characterizations or anyt

• Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)