Start by marking “Bones of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bones of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras, #1)

Bones of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,231 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
In Bones of the Dragon, Skylan Ivorson is a sea-raider of the Vindras, an undefeated champion of the Torgun clan, and eventually the Chief of Chiefs of all Vindras clans, an honor he truly feels he deserves as one who has been blessed by Skoval, the god of war. But sometimes a blessing is a curse in disguise.

Skoval and the other ancient gods are under siege from a new
gene
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 6th 2009 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2009)

Robert
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Show Vikings Who Feel It Could Use More Magic Dragons!
Woo hoo, I finally finished this beast!

Not that I outright disliked it, per se, it's just that I could never seem to get in more than 15 pages or so in a sitting...and this was with my baby daughter out of town!

I liked the world-building, though I thought the conflict with the ogres took too long to finally kick off and then it seemed to go on overlong. Things really picked up after the Vutmana thingy, and I was gratified to see super-bro Skylan humbled and made accountable for his terrible choi
Maria Elmvang
Despite my enjoyment of fantasy, I've never read a single DragonLance book, and probably wouldn't have picked this up either, if I hadn't been asked to review it.

It's a fairly interesting start to a new series, but either not terribly well-written, or I'm just way above the target age, because I did find it rather simplistic at times, and during the first half of the book, the main character came across as a gigantic arrogant git. Had it ended there, I would only have given it two stars.

It impro
QS
I'll be honest: I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I actually liked the main character. But I didn't. My dislike of Skylan coupled with my discomfort of the culture of his people made me feel pretty ambivalent for the majority of the novel.

On the other hand, I adored the plot, and loved the blatant rip-off of Norse mythology. Needless to say, I will be purchasing the next book in the series once it comes out in paperback. I'm hoping that, as the series goes on, Skylan will mature great
Reblua
Mar 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I did not enjoy this book until the last 25 pages or so. The characters were shallow and I couldn't find myself liking any of them.
Adam Bolander
Book Review: Bones of the Dragon, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

Bones of the Dragon is a book I picked up at a used bookstore for a couple dollars. The cover looked neat and the blurb sounded interesting, and hey¬— it was only a couple dollars! I could spare that much, even if it turned out not to be that great... which is exactly what happened.

Bones of the Dragon stars Skylan Ivorson is one of the Vindrassi, a race of sea raiders very similar to the Vikings. His father, the chief of the Tor
Cindy
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
This is a typical first book of a series. There is a lot of time spent on building the world and cultures of the Vindras. Weis and Hickman do that we great style as they always do.

I was a little disappointed in the characters, it felt as though all the characters were very flat, hopefully as the series grows so will the characters. I do have to say I hated Skylan, he was annoying and really not likeable as a main character.

The book really does pick up after a while, the last one forth of it ha
Mikko Karvonen
Far too familiar concept, highly unpleasant main character (not that there was much to the other characters either), serious overdose of (mostly unnecessary) exposition, awkward language, and glaring lack of background research. You would thinking writing dozens of rather popular fantasy books would teach authors something about the art of writing, but it seems that Weis & Hickman have taken several steps backwards instead.
Luke
I kept waiting to discover that some god had once again stolen the world. Gave up about 1/3 of the way into it. It felt like a bad mashup of Zelda and Dragonlance.
Emilee Powell
I spent half of the book hoping that the main character would die a horrific and horrible death. I cannot remember the last time I have so thoroughly despised a lead character. Despite of my abiding hatred, the book eventually won me over enough to give it a tentative three stars. However, I am highly motivated to turn it into two stars if the second book is not an improvement.
Rhonda Johnson
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would have gotten a five, but at a certain point the author decided to tell rather than show what was happening. But I enjoyed it enough that I'm dying to read the sequel.
Mathieu
Roman efficace, mais pas de quoi se relever la nuit.

L'histoire se déroule au sein d'une nation de barbares dont l'organisation est très proche de celle des Vikings. On y suit l'histoire de Skylan Ivorson, jeune fils de chef qui se croit promis à un grand avenir.

Présomptueux, arrogant et impulsif, Skylan trop persuadé de son destin et de la faveur des dieux à son égard, accumule les mauvais choix et plus le roman avance, plus sa marge de manœuvre s'étrécit. D'autant plus que les dieux de son pant
Alexandra Chauran
I broke a sweat trying to like this book, but by the end it grew on me. The whole first half was painful, however, because all of the characters were utterly unlikeable. Good world building, but wow, what a pack of jerks who deserve whatever comes to them. Now, I understand where an author is going when she's setting up a character for redemption, but with absolutely no likeable qualities in any of the characters until a fun new character was introduced half-way through the book... Well, if I wa ...more
Marian Willeke
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This was a book that I decided to read only because it was already on my Kindle from when my husband read it. I'm so glad. I really fell in love with these authors and I'm frustrated to no end that I have to wait for the sequel! I don't trust writers to finish their works, but I'm hooked to this one.

There were epic god-wars and excellent representation of the impact characters made to the world, whether they intended to or not. I also loved the Norse culture it portrayed. Weis does a great job b
John Hubenthal
Aug 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, the language was really disappointing, from what I've come to expect from these two. The story was interesting enough, but sunk a peg for each reference of earthy base material and bad language. It would be in the PG-13 range at least, which is always off-putting to me in a book.
Perhaps I ought to mention that a major theme in the book involves the complications which arrise due to the compounding of lies. Imaginatively, there is also an element of summoning dragons, which become constructe
Jonas Salonen
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Now this was a surprise! I have read over a dozen books from Weis & Hickman. The Drangonlance Chronicles were one of the first fantasy books I read as a child. I read the Chronicles again some time ago and oh man are they simple. They read like somebody had written down how their D&D-night went. I do apreciate them as they are good books for a new reader but in no way are they good literature.

Some of the books that followed the Chronicles were downright awful. Even the plots were uninter
Ben Lund
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book caught my eye as I was wandering through my library. I really liked the Dragonlance books as a young pre-teen. Fantasy wasn't cool yet, and these books were something I hadn't encountered before. Throughout the years I have caught onto other series by them, the Starshield books, the Deathgate cycle and so on. When I found this book I thought 'why not, I've gone along with them this long.'

The problem with writing for so long and so many books is that you find a certain way of doing thin
Yesenia
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Kia
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was good!
Skylan the main character was 'team too much' a lot of the time! He's extremely hot-headed and arrogant. I even screamed at him a few times! But, oddly enough, I still liked him! I love fantasy books that explore religions/gods in detail. I enjoyed reading how the gods were apart of the Vindrashi's everyday life. It was also interesting to see even the gods have their own flaws. They can also fight wars, lose, and die! This brought the gods down to earth. Making them more huma
Victor
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I have been reading these authors for a long time. Second, I advise you to read this without reading anything about it. There are plenty of twists and turns.

One of the reasons why I liked this book, besides being a fan of Skyrim, is because the main character of the book reminds me of the heroes of mythology, which basically means he is a stupid jerk. I mean, I can’t even call this guy a protagonist. Nevertheless, you want to keep reading just to see what eventually happens to him. It doe
Aphy Lindaren
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weis&Hickman yine bayıldığım bir seriye imza atmışlar, ki bunu henüz ilk kitabı bitirmiş olmama rağmen söylüyorum. Okurken gözde canlanan mekanları, ilmek ilmek işlendiği çok belli karakterleri, ırkları, tanrıları ve olay örgüsüyle elimden bırakamadığım bir kitap oldu, zaten bu yüzden üçüncü elime alışımda bitirdim. Kitabın içerisinde bulunan kuzey mitolojisi göndermeleri çok keyifliydi. Arka arkaya gelen olaylar tahmin edilemeyecek noktalara varıp her bölümde şaşırmama sebep oldu. Fantastik ...more
Suzy
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed for the most part. Yes the main Character is immature and selfish BUT I feel this is a set up for development and growth which you can see by the end of the book. I am interested to see how it works out in future books. Liked the world building and Norse-like Mythology
Angel
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I recommend this for anyone who has enjoyed the authors other works. Dragons of Autumn Twilight is still my favorite though.
Peter E.  Frangel
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Here is a book you really have to be a nerd to want to read, there's no way around it. Dragons, sorcery, ogres, ghosts...I'm a nerd, I admit it! I love that stuff, and I loved The Death Gate Cycle by these two authors, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. But I'll be completely honest when I say that this was one of the most disappointing books I've ever read. No beating around the bush, this book was pretty terrible. But book two, Secret of the Dragon, is coming out this week and I'm going to buy i ...more
Kate
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is not one likable character in this book. Are they trying to be Game of Thrones?
Amanda Steinhoff
First off, let me say, this is some hard core undiluted fantasy. We've got dragons, ogres, fairy folk, and some clans of warriors that might as well call themselves Vikings. So if all of that is not your thing, then these are not the books for you.

The story starts with these not Vikings fighting off an ogre invasion. The ogres explain that their gods have killed the not Viking's gods, so they should now be slaves of the ogres. Well, the not Vikings are not going to take that, so they decide to
J
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEWARE. I DON'T FLAG SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT MY REVIEWS OUT ON ANY FEED, EITHER.

My husband -- who plays D&D and loves fantasy -- made me read this. He thought that because the author team was one woman, one man, he (my husband) could detect the woman's touch in explaining motivations of some of the female characters.

My point of view - I didn't think the authors excelled at interpreting a woman's perspective compared to some other books I've read by male authors.

That aside, I was really ann
Charles
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
I enjoyed this start to a new series by Profound authors Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis - This is a nice use of Norwegian themes in Fantasy writing.

The duo of Weis/Hickman are known for their Fantasy novels, and their love of dragons. the Bones of the Dragon, book 1 of the Dragonships series, they continue with Fantasy and Dragons, though the setting and characters are very well drawn from the Norwegian culture and Mythology.

You will not find Odin, Thor, or any of those gods, instead finding a
M.A. Kropp
I'm fan of the works of Weis and Hickman. I first found them in The Rose of the Prophet trilogy, and later read the Deathgate Cycle. They are also the autors of many of the Dragonlance books, although I have not read those.

"Bones of the Dragon" is, in many ways, typical of a Weis and Hickman story. A young man, Skylan Ivorson, full of himself and over-confident because he feels he has been specially blessed by his tribes god of war, feels he should be Chief of Chiefs of all his people. His fathe
Landon
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, people tired of unsympathetic characters going unpunished
I'm torn between giving this three and five stars and the reason is that I'm not sure I enjoyed this book for the right reasons.

As a standard heroic fantasy, it's fair to middling. The worldbuilding is good, especially the culture, and the underlying plot, the one that will form the arc of the series is what's going to get me to pick up book 2.

However, where this book really shines is as a send-up of standard fantasy of the 2000's. We've got Vikings, and gods who have their own personalities and
  • Song Of The Dragon (The Annals of Drakis, #1)
  • The Measure and the Truth (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #3)
  • Tides of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #2)
  • The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #1)
  • City of the Lost (Dragonlance: Linsha, #1)
  • Renegade Wizards (Dragonlance: The Anvil of Time, #3)
  • The Lioness (Dragonlance: The Age of Mortals, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonships of Vindras (4 books)
  • Secret of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras, #2)
  • Rage of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #3)
  • Doom of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #4)