Start by marking “Emotional Intelligence 2.0: With Access Code” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  57,678 Ratings  ·  741 Reviews
"Emotional Intelligence 2.0 succinctly explains how to deal with emotions creatively and employ our intelligence in a beneficial way."
--THE DALAI LAMA

For the first time ever in a book, TalentSmart's revolutionary program helps people identify their EQ skills, build these skills into strengths, and enjoy consistent performance in the pursuit of important life objectives. Th
Published June 16th 2009 by Talentsmart (first published January 28th 2003)

Win a Copy of This Book

Availability: 1 copy available, 1850 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 04 - Mar 03, 2018

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Secret by Rhonda ByrneHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillThe Reframe by Brian Maddox
    Best Self Help Books
    1,104 books — 1,356 voters
    How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David    Allen
    Best Business Books
    625 books — 1,199 voters

More lists with this book...

Tanya Hristova
    Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: non-fiction
    This is a textbook example of how not to write a scientific book. Admittedly, the book never claims to be scientific but it supposedly concerns emotional intelligence - a psychological concept - and its effects on our daily lives. Yet there's not a single experiment mentioned.

My favorite parts were:

"Here’s how it works: everything you see, smell, hear, taste and touch travels through your body in the form of electric signals. These signals pass from cell to cell until they reach their ultimate d
    June
    Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
    This is the first applied emotional intelligence book that I am reading. It has its pros (clarity and simplicity of content) and some cons (excessive self-promotion).

Cons
    1. Open the book and you are hit with several pages of endorsements from well-known people. Hard to miss the Dalai Lama's one as it is the first.

Further on, particularly towards the end of the book, it's evident that the authors could have practised some self-restraint in mentioning their company- the name-dropping is excessiv
    Laurie
    Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
    I really wish I had read this book in high school and better yet had a course in it. It would have saved me a lot of grief. As a society, we need to teach children how to deal with emotions. I wish I had not taken it out of the library because the code in the back only works for one person. So, I was not able to take the EQ (Emotional Intelligence)test. I may need to buy the book.

I loved it all, but I have picked out my favorite parts of each section:

Self Awareness Strategies:

1. Ask others for f
    Keith
    Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: self-help
    I put off reading this book because there were other books that I marked to read before it. Once I started reading it, it was a quick interesting read, and I was glad that I moved it ahead of other books in the queue.

Some of the strategies in the four sections of the book felt like they were closely related.

I look forward to working on increasing my EQ by using the assessment test to determine where I need to focus my efforts and applying the relevant strategies from the 66 strategies listed i
    Avolyn Fisher
    Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2010
    After I took the emotional intelligence test and recieved my score, I was a little upset that I was merely average in my score. I would like to think I'm above average, but don't we all? One of my professors last semester opened class with the statement "Most if not everyone in this room thinks they are above average, I'm sorry but you are not."

Low and behold there was hope, the coping strategies and techniques provided in this book to help you work on your area of weakness.

While reading the exa
    Suzanne
    Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
    Recommended to Suzanne by: CareerTrack Seminar
    Shelves: self-help
    I see that I'm a dissenting opinion with 2 stars but I expected a lot more from this book. I was very excited to learn about the concept of Emotional Intelligence as I'm a confessed 'smart person who has trouble holding back on emotions.' I see the logic of EI and firmly believe it is very important for career success. Maybe my expectations were too high?

I bought the book and took the test on-line. I was brutally honest and not surprisingly didn't score so high. I went to the sections of the bo
    Loy Machedo
    Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry & Jean Greaves

Just think about this.

You have a recommendation from The Dalai Lama, Newsweek, The Washington Post, Newsday, Ken Blanchard and Marshall Goldsmith. And then to top it all, you have a foreword by (Ouch!) Patrick Lencioni himself!

Now do you need any other reason to be convinced why you should buy this book?

Wait! Don’t.

Before you decide to purchase this book, read the rest and only then decide.

Review in a nu
    Petra
    Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
    For content: 4 stars
    For lack of the Quiz: -2 stars
    Overall Rating: 2 stars

An easy to read look at evaluating yourself and how you react & read others. This is a good skill finding book or refresher at the tenets of managing oneself and a team.
    Learning to control and understand our emotions and how they move us into ineffective actions is something that should probably be taught at some point in our schooling. The skills here would be helpful; at least, the concept of the need to skill build
    Molly Octopus
    Nov 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
    Disclosure: I received this book for free via Goodreads book giveaways.

Emotional intelligence. The concept has been floating around for so long that it would be easy for one to assume that it's a scientifically validated theory-- like IQ and personality measurements (which this book presents EQ alongside).

Unfortunately, as anyone who has done enough careful study knows, none of these three concepts are nearly as solid as many believe. EQ is the worst offender of all. Scientists have had incredib
    Longfellow
    Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it

If you want it to be, this book can be a quick 250 pages of helpful tips. It will probably be more useful, though, read over a few days or even a few weeks, allowing time to practice some of these recommendations or reflect on them with thought or in writing.

A few years ago, a counselor recommended the book Ten Days to Self-Esteem. I worked through its content enough to conclude its operating theory was that how one thinks controls how one feels. While I discovered this approach could yield some
    Kevin Bowser
    Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
    I do not give 5 star reviews often or easily. But this book was really enlightening for me. It gave me insight into some of my own long-held behaviors and tendencies (both positively and negatively.)

This book was recommended to me by a fellow leadership coach and I have already incorporated much of into my own practice. In fact, I have created a 6-week one-on-one coaching engagement built around the principles that are contained within it.

There is nothing earthshakingly new in the book. But it i
    Cinderella Mabaso
    Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    This is a remarkable book, emotions are a part of our genetic makeup, but mastering control over them is what we are never taught but have to experience them, learn how to adjust or accept to continue with the momentum of life & If you believe in personal growth then this book is a must read to improve your EQ & having Emotional intelligence is one of the fundamentals roots that builds a solid character.
    Joe
    Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
    Overall, not a bad book. For each of the four parts of emotional intelligence, the authors list several techniques for improving that particular trait. Thankfully, and unlike most books of this type, the techniques are short and sweet. There is nothing worse than reading a 400 page book with only 50 pages of interesting information and 350 pages of anecdotal fluff about Floyd from Wisconsin and how he changed his life with the book's techniques. There's none of that here. There is the occasional ...more
    Allison
    Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Overall I found this book full of useful skills to be used in the work place. Examples are given throughout the book to further understand each tactic and the explanations of each aspect of EQ are clear and concise. I would recommend this book to everyone, even though some ideas seem to be "common sense" they may be overlooked or not focused on enough of the time.
    Gary Jacques
    Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    2 months ago I got promoted to a regional manager position at my company i didn't have any clue or training how to be a Manager this book and "How to make friends and Influence people" by Dale Carnegie have become my mentors in daily basis, every time I'm under stress I look at the self Managment strategies ( I wrote down all strategies in a post it notes in front of my monitor ). I wish I could have read those books earlier
    Otis Chandler
    Feb 27, 2013 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: nonfiction
    Good article by this author: http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbra...
    Nathan
    Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    DISCLAIMER: I received this book as part of a free GoodReads giveaway.

This little gem is a short read. I finished it in approximately seven hours, and that included taking exhaustive notes. This book doesn’t take 10,000 pages to say 250 pages worth, and I appreciate that. It packs short, concise definitions and concrete, actionable takeaways. Truly a breath of fresh air.

I’ve read too many books at the end of which I have no clue how to apply the things I’ve learned. This book is not one of them.
    Juli
    Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: first-reads
    Fantastic book! I think this should be required reading for everyone at some point in their lives. Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is something we should all be aware of and it consists of Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, and Relationship Management. This book gives specific strategies to increase our awareness in these areas. If we are conscious of how our emotions affect us and the people around us, we can use that to make better choices. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway a ...more
    Raman Ramamurthy
    Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    I was very impressed with this book. It's the first I've seen that actually shows you how to increase your emotional intelligence, rather than just explaining what emotional intelligence is. It's filled with strategies to increase each of the four emotional intelligence skills: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.

I found the strategies very helpful, particularly because the books gives access to an online test that (based upon your results) tells you w
    Amany Mohammed
    May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    Amazing book .. amazing advises on how to improve your EQ skills which fall into 4 categories .. self awareness, self management, social awareness & relationship management ! I took the test and it was really accurate . The techniques are clear and can be followed ! I was bothered by how my emotions control me sometimes but i think practicing these techniques help a lot! I think EQ is really important key to success in work and life and the book support this idea by examples !
    Garrett Cash
    I'm extremely impressed by this book, it has practical advice that can lead to big changes for the better if you work to apply them like Dale Carnegie's classic How To Win Friends and Influence People. My only complaint is that the test costs $40 dollars to take and I just don't have that kind of money. I'm definitely planning on revisiting this and working on it as soon as I have the funds for the test and for actually buying the book.
    Bruce
    Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: management
    I really like what this book teaches. Intelligence is a poor indicator of success in life. Emotional Intelligence is a better indicator. As a parent, I really want to teach these principles to my children. As a manager, I really want to teach these principles to my team members who I coach. Everyone can benefit from these principles.
    Tari Kanemoto
    Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
    Emotional Intelligence 2.0 has taught me a lot in regard to myself and the way I interact with people. The book has shown me how to develop these skills in pragmatic and easily applicable ways. It started as a book I had to read for a business class. It soon became one of the few books I have read for a class that I fully intend to use in my daily life regardless of my profession.
    Emely Wilhide
    Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading Emotional Intelligence 2.0. The combination of new ideas and relatable stories allowed me to improve myself in areas that I previously was unaware needed work. In the end, I have to recommend this book purely because you can read it in one sitting yet get things out of it that you will remember a year later.
    Sarah Sack
    Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
    I found this book laying around my mom's room and I thought it looked interesting, so I picked it up. I agree with it, that emotional intelligence plays a huge role in our lives. I've picked up a lot of tips that are going to help me when I'm older and working. I'm glad I read it!
    Thomas
    Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
    Emotional Intelligence 2.0 is a thoroughly researched and extensively explained discovery, unveiling and application of the vital skills of human self-awareness and discernment. The supporting theories, findings, suggestions and techniques are sound and invaluable for the human experience. This book is a critical step in the right direction for people everywhere in the world.

One significant criticism I have is the book's focus on negative aspects of relationships, personal emotions and generally
    Craig Dube
    Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    I really enjoyed this book and felt that it had a lot of good ideas (and common sense) to offer just about anyone. I actually listened to the audiobook and I thought the reader did a good job. My only complaint was in the middle of the book, when he took on different voices to express different people's comments. I always find it silly to hear a man's voice take on a fake-falsetto to try to sound like a woman.

But beside that I left this book wanting to learn more. So much so, that I ordered the
    Fei
    Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    This was such a quick but also very informative read on emotional intelligence. It used examples to clearly illustrate why EQ is important to each one of us. The first section outlines what it is, and how it's different than IQ and personality, then it explains each aspect (there are 4) that make up the EQ. Then the book gives practical ideas to help the reader intentionally address each of the 4 parts of the EQ, to be more aware and to improve. I didn't read too closely these sections since I h ...more
    Carey Delle
    Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: psychology
    I received Emotional Intelligence 2.0 as a gift for my consulting company. Initially, I was very skeptical as to whether or not the book would be useful. However, after taking the time to read Emotional Intelligence 2.0, I couldn't help but apply the book to various aspects of my life. On an individual level, I was able to plan things out and be more weary of my emotions. Interpersonally,the book taught me to really consider how I am feeling and to allow the feeling to resonate before acting on ...more
    Albihany Aden
    Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    One of the best books i ever read , if you wanna understand yourself more and understand the people around you , You better think about this book .
    Truvisage audit, then you are exceptionally 1 10 Nov 25, 2015 02:18AM
    Which Strategies are you working on? 1 95 Dec 26, 2009 08:55AM
    • The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
    • Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
    • Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?
    • Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time
    • The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business
    • Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard
    • Strengths Finder 2.0
    • Getting to Yes: Negotiating an Agreement Without Giving In
    • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
    • Now, Discover Your Strengths
    • How We Decide
    • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
    • Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
    • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
    • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
    • I Love Yous Are for White People
    • You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself
    • The EQ Edge: Emotional Intelligence and Your Success
    Dr. Travis Bradberry is the award-winning author of the #1 best selling book, Emotional Intelligence 2.0, and the cofounder of TalentSmart®⎯a consultancy that serves more than 75% of Fortune 500 companies and is the world’s leading provider of emotional intelligence tests and training.

His bestselling books have been translated into 25 languages and are available in more than 150 countries. Dr. Bra
    More about Travis Bradberry...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.99 $1.99
    • At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe
      $9.99 $1.99
      $11.99 $1.99
    “Emotional intelligence is your ability to recognize and understand emotions in yourself and others, and your ability to use this awareness to manage your behavior and relationships.” 14 likes
    “Anyone can become angry—that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way, this is not easy.” 11 likes