Start by marking “D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)” as Want to Read:
D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)

D is for Deadbeat

(Kinsey Millhone #4)

When Alvin Limardo walks into P.I. Kinsey Millhone's office, she smells bad news. He wants Kinsey to deliver $25,000. The recipient: A fifteen-year-old boy. It's a simple matter. So simple that Kinsey wonders why he doesn't deliver the money himself. She's almost certain something is off. But with rent due, Kinsey accepts Limardo's retainer against her better judgment…

When
Published November 29th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 15th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about D is for Deadbeat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D is for Deadbeat

James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book Review
3.5 of 5 stars (rounded up!) to D is for Deadbeat. In this installment, Kinsey's rattled when a mysterious man asks her to deliver $25K to someone who turns out to be a teenager. Shortly after the check he gave Kinsey for her own fee bounces and the guy turns up dead. Cut her losses? No... Investigate to see if you can recover your money. Sometimes Kinsey... you just don't know when to talk away, but at least you're not beat up in this book like previous ones. All in all, a solid
Jilly
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Well, damn. I have this whole series from the library and only made it to the letter "D" before getting all ragey and shit. But, my rage is justified this time. I swear!!
Kinsey has sex with a married man!!
Yes, she knows he's married. Yes, he has children. Yes, she thinks about it and decides to do it anyway. Yes, she makes fun of the wife the next day. No, she has no regrets.

"Oh, but Jilly, he is unhappy in his marriage and heading for divorce! And, his wife was talking about them maybe having a
Phrynne
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
I notice that if you are reading this book Goodreads suggests that you might also enjoy Sara Paretsky's V.I.Warshawski series. And I am not surprised because honestly Kinsey and Vic could be twin sisters. The same brusque personality, the same disregard for personal safety and for other people's feelings - I sometimes have to remind myself which series I am reading:)

Which is fine with me because I enjoy both. D is for Deadbeat is not one of Grafton's best but it is an easy read. The murderer was
Alison
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Sue Grafton's novels are small and yummy, like a mental Hershey's kiss. I love the way she sets up multiple potential "solutions" to her mysteries, so that you can rarely ever figure them out ahead of time. Because what a bummer that is.

The best thing about this series is Kinsey Milhone. She's tough without being manly, feisty without being mean. This woman loves her independence and thinks that being single is almost as wonderful as being rich. I keep coming back just to see what she'll eat nex
William
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rejected
T is for Tedious
R is for Repetitive
K is for KMN

DNF - After reading two of her books, and seeing reviews of her Kinsey books 10-15 years later, I'm done. It's clear that Grafton is never going to do more than skim the surface of noir. Mostly a waste of time.

The thousand individual scenes of Kinsey's investigations are mostly carbon copies of each other, with a few words changed to pretend a variety.

Kinsey is the author, Sue Grafton, as is common in writers of fiction. And Sue's immaturity is re
Quenya
I have to admit this one was hard to listen to. Most of the characters were reprehensible and the background on the case was a very sad story. Throughout the book you are not sure about the John Daggett character and wonder all the times at his motives for doing things.

Kinsey has to deal with a very diverse group of characters in this book. There are ex-cons, teenagers, siblings, multiple wives and a very anger daughter. Kinsey also finds herself just waiting for a break in the case to move to t
Julie
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The fourth in the Kinsey Millone series. Kinsey is sucked into a complicated situation when her client not only writes her a hot check, he winds up dead. The cops think it was an accident, but Kinsey thinks not.
The victim was not a popular man and several families all had a good motive for wanting to see the man dead.
All of the families investigated were sad in their own way, but one story in particular was very emotional. This was a much darker story than usual for Kinsey. Kinsey will have to
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
4.5*

Anyone who doesn't think this series is in decline should reread one of Grafton's older titles after the verbose W is for Wasted (Kinsey Millhone, #23) by Sue Grafton

"D" is one of Grafton's best & features far tighter writing & a more interesting storyline. Even though this was a reread for me, I couldn't put it down!

Have knocked half a * off the rating for both the unlikely original premise & resolution. I believe the book's epilogue shows that Grafton knew the solution was weak but couldn't make it more persuasive.
Ray
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are like candy to me. Short, sweet, immensely satisfying. I won't claim that Grafton reaches new literary heights but they are largely well written and Kinsey is just a great character.

For what it is worth, I thought the hook here was weak. Not really sure why Kinsey would feel so beholden to a dead ex-offender to deliver a check, but whatevs.
Obsidian
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tbr-2017
I thought this one was bit more complicated than it needed to be. Even re-reading this year's later, a lot doesn't gel together very well. We do get more information on Kinsey and others. I just think it was too rushed as a whole to be really enjoyable.

The fourth novel finds Kinsey in a quandry. She is hired to deliver a cashier's check, but the check to her bounces. She tracks down the man who hired her and realizes that he also lied to her about his name and past. When he turns up dead, she ac
Emma
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I thoroughly enjoy these books. Kinsey is a great character. Recommended series.
Eddie Owens
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
15/1 - Finally, a mystery that doesn't end with Kinsey being seriously injured by the bad guy. I don't know how she could physically survive the injuries she sustained in B is for Burglar (injuries which required some time in hospital and weeks/months of physical therapy), and still be recovering when she is seriously injured again at the end of C is for Corpse. It kind of reminds me of the indestructibility of Bruce Willis in Die Hard and how impossible it would really be for either of them to ...more
Denise
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fast, entertaining read. Kept me engaged until the last page.
Darinda
Kinsey Millhone is hired to deliver a cashier's check of $25,000, but gets stiffed on her fee. The client tells Kinsey the money is for a teenager who had helped him out. It sounds suspicious, but Kinsey takes the job. After Kinsey realizes the check for her fee has bounced, she looks up the client to get her money. She discovers he has died, in what the police call an accident. Kinsey thinks his death is suspect, and looks into it.

The 4th book in the Kinsey Millhone series. In this one, Kinsey
Aymee
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really do enjoy these books. Kinsey is hard-as-nails when she needs to be and yet funny and warm, too. They mysteries are interesting and the characters odd.

Better review now that I've had time:

I accidentally stumbled across R is for Ricochet several years ago while perusing the local library. Little did I know that that one book would open up a world of mystery for me. I have since gone back to the beginning and started the series in the order it was meant to be read. However, if you’re im
Tricia
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Despite enthusiastic recommendations from some highly discerning reader friends, I'd never picked up a Sue Grafton novel before this one. I started with "D" rather than "A" because that was the copy I found available at my local second-hand bookshop just before I left on a long plane trip. It's a yellowed, pulpy paperback I planned to pitch after I finished it.
Who knew? In detective Kinsey Millhone, Grafton creates a character who sounds like a stereotype--hard-boiled outside, vulnerable inside-
Andrea
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-noir
I was curious. It's a pretty decent page turner I guess, for what it is. I could write lots about it: it's curious how much detail it goes into, like a PI manual of sorts; no real character development but sexual tension; first person narrative so you can live these exciting scenes through her. Thing is, for me that jars terribly and her protagonist is definitely meant to appeal to a certain section of the population. Suburban. White. Comfortable. Ready for a little feminine emancipation but not ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
I enjoyed catching up with Kinsey. Easy reading and great plot.
Book Concierge
Digital audio read by Mary Peiffer.
3.5***

Book four in the series. PI Kinsey Millhone gets a new client whose story seems a bit fishy. He wants her to deliver a certified check to a teen-aged boy. Her suspicions are aroused, especially when he refuses to explain why he can’t (or won’t) deliver it himself. But it’s the end of the month, rent is due, and she accepts his retainer. Then his check bounces and she quickly discovers that he isn’t who he claimed to be. When he turns up dead the police c
Claudia
I had remembered that the events of each book closely follows the book before. Four books, and Kinsey has spent about a year...a little less, in a wild world of petty crooks and murder.

I like the pattern of muddied details and false trails...all cleared up in the final chapter.

We are now in a very rainy fall, and E is set at Christmas...on we go.

I had forgotten how much I love this girl.
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another reread for me. An interesting mystery. More detailed review will be on my blog
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

This month my plan is to read as much Mysteries as I can leading up to Halloween so of course I had to go back to one of my most favorite Mysteries series, the Kinsey Millhone series (aka the Alphabet Mysteries series).

I always say this but if you aren’t reading these books, then you’re missing out on an amazing heroine and some great crime novels. When I read about Kinsey Millhone, I feel like I’m reading about a part of myself. She has that drive similar to me where when she’s got her mind d
Dana
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
D IS FOR DEADBEAT is an odd story - Kinsey is hired to give $ 25,000 to a fifteen-year-old. Should be simple, right? Not with Sue Grafton writing the book!! When Kinsey's retainer check bounces things really start to get interesting!! Next Kinsey finds the deadbeat who wrote the check, he was dead. Now she has to find out who killed him in order to get paid!

This is the fourth Sue Grafton book in this series but the first in the series that left me wanting more from the book. Although it kept a f
Sheryl Tribble
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I was starting to get irritated about how the books were ending in such similar fashion, and she does things differently. Very nice.
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Re-read as audiobook.
Fiona
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars except that Grafton does write well. I really enjoyed A-C and I was enjoying this one - a good old-fashioned whodunnit- until I realised who the killer was. Ridiculous!
Kit
Dec 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
D is for Dud. Yes, that was too easy. But so are a lot of elements of this novel, including the cartoonishness of the characters and the smug judgments of the narrator Millhone.
Linda
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good installment in the Kinsey Millhone series. I really didn't remember anything about this one, so it was like reading it for the first time. It was a good story but I missed some of the secondary characters who weren't in this one. As always good writing and a good plot that kept me guessing.
Nadhiah Aida
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
🤔😮😮 .... totally totally .... can't believe it ...
Play Book Tag: D is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton 3 stars cross posted to fall flurries 1 10 Nov 01, 2018 09:37AM
Around the Year i...: D is for Deadbeat, by Sue Grafton 1 11 Jun 24, 2017 09:37PM
Alphabet Murders: D 1 1 May 07, 2017 09:44AM
The Women's Myste...: D is for Deadbeat 1 10 Aug 09, 2013 09:21PM
Goodreads Librari...: Quote edit 2 30 Feb 08, 2013 11:52AM

• Pennies On a Dead Woman's Eyes
  • Deadlock (V.I. Warshawski, #2)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • The Singing Of The Dead (Kate Shugak, #11)
Sue Grafton was a #1 New York Times bestselling author. She is best known for her “alphabet series” featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone in the fictional city of Santa Teresa, California. Prior to success with this series, she wrote screenplays for television movies. Her earlier novels include Keziah Dane (1967) and The Lolly-Madonna War (1969), both out of print. In the book Kinsey and ...more

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
“You never know which people will affect your life.” 24 likes
“A woman should never, never, never be financially dependent to anyone, especially a man, because the minute you were dependent, you could be abused.” 23 likes