Start by marking “M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13)” as Want to Read:
M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13)

M is for Malice

(Kinsey Millhone #13)

M is for money…

Malek Construction is a mega-million-dollar company that grew out of modest soil to become one of the big three in California construction—and one of the few still in family hands. Today, the three Malek sons stand to inherit a fortune, but in order for any one of them to claim his share, the missing fourth brother must be found.

m is for MISSING…

Now it’s up
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 26th 1997 by Fawcett (first published November 12th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about M is for Malice, please sign up.
Cindy Grafton sets the groundwork for Kinsey in every novel. In this series it is not necessary to read them in order. The only advantage in doing so that I…moreGrafton sets the groundwork for Kinsey in every novel. In this series it is not necessary to read them in order. The only advantage in doing so that I can think of would be to see how Grafton's skill grows with each book. She never rests on her laurels but delves deeper into human nature and nuance with each book.(less)

Jilly
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I kind of felt sorry for Kinsey in this one. The story starts with her being depressed because she is a pathetic loser with no one who loves her and will die alone, childless, with nobody to mourn her. She's so unloved that she will be one of those people who dies and nobody even notices until the stink makes its way out to the streets. If she had a pet, her dead body would be eaten by it, but she doesn't even have an animal that cares about her.

You know it's bad if I feel sorry for her. I hate
James
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to M is for Malice, the 13th book in the "Kinsey Millhone" mystery series, written in 1996 by Sue Grafton. When I first picked up this book, as I was far behind in the series and not able to read them as they were published, I got very excited. My favorite type of books to read are about family dramas and whodunits. Well this book combined those two themes and sub-genres together when something was amiss with Malek Construction. Four (4) Malek brothers. And what a
Susan
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This latest in Grafton's alphabet series is one of the best. This series itself gets better and better. When I am a gazillion years old and in the nursing home with nothing to do, I intend to start again with A and go to Z and I know I will delighted all over again. Kinsey, this time, is called on to find a brother who was banished from the family 18 years ago. The father has now died and left his estate equally among the four brothers including the missing one. It's a murder mystery, so people ...more
Karin Slaughter
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The. Best.
Mark Baker
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2019
PI Kinsey Millhone is reluctant to take a case from one of her recently discovered cousins, Tasha Howard, but the case is too intriguing to turn down. The head of Malek Construction has recently died, and the only will anyone can find divides his estate among his four sons. The problem is no one has heard from Guy, the black sheep of the family, since he was supposedly disinherited almost twenty years ago. Can Kinsey pick up a very cold trail and find him?

Those familiar with the series will know
Claudia
Oh, I remember this one. It broke my heart...Grafton created a twisted family with an unlikely angel. And Deitz came back. From here on, I am reading for the first time.
Martha
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2016
Great one! One of my favorites so far.
Linda
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good entry in the series. This one starts as a missing persons case and goes from there. I liked that Dietz made a return appearance. This one kept me guessing too and I was surprised at the outcome.
Randee Baty
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, mystery-pi
Kinsey is asked by her cousin Tasha to find a missing heir for a family that really doesn’t want him back. He left years ago, running from him “bad boy” and “black sheep” reputation. Of course, she finds him and seeing how his life has changed, she advises him that going back would probably only cause bad things to happen. Sure enough, he goes back and sure enough, bad things happen.

Sue Grafton is excellent at drawing characters that we really don’t like and she definitely has those in this boo
Mistydawn Thrash
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This was my first Sue Grafton novel, and it's just like me to start in the middle! This author has been suggested to me several times as an easy read, a little suspense/little romance/little thriller, and something enjoyeable that doesn't take a lot of attention.

It was just that. I was able to put this book down for a week at a time, pick it up and be right back where I was without having to scan the last few pages. The story itself was a little frivolous to me as a private investigator novel bu
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2002, sue-grafton, mystery
The 13th installment of the Kinsey Millhone mysterys and the books are still going strong.
In this installment, Kinsey is hired to find a missing man who was named equally in his fathers will along with his three brothers. Sadly he has been missing nearly 20 years and the other brothers are not real keen on her finding him.
I feel like as the series progresses Sue Grafton is allowing Kinsey to become more and more real in the sense that she is allowing her to develope friendships and family ties
Quenya
Really wanted to take a shower after this book – it just left me feeling dirty. None of the characters are that likable except for the dead person and the murderer. I don’t know how Kinsey survived this book emotionally because it was a rough ride.

As I listened to this book, all I could think was it should have been the “G” book for Greed because the Malik family was a whole bunch of greedy bast****. Kinsey gets rolled into this family drama through a lost heir search and results in her solving
Darinda
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime, series
Kinsey works a case to locate a man who is set to inherit a large sum of money. He is estranged from his family, due to his being black sheep of the family. His life has improved, and Kinsey believes only trouble can arise if he returns home to his family. She's right. Also, Robert Dietz is back.

The 13th book in the Kinsey Millhone series. A solid mystery. What starts as a simple case of finding someone, ends with murder, and Kinsey works to figure out who the killer was.

I listened to an audio
Tanisha Peck
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
After reading the disappointing "L" book, I took a short break. I'm so glad this one didn't disappoint me, otherwise I would have found it even more difficult to continue on with the series.
I was glad that Dietz returned, even if he wasn't as saucy as last time. I hope he stays on for at least a couple more books.
I have the same complaints as usual. The continued parking updates, scenery verbal diarrhea, and explanations regarding Milhone's technique. I understand this is probably meant for thos
Elyse
Dietz! But Dietz... this book was very personal for Kinsey, between Dietz and Tasha and her instant friendship with Guy. This was a good book. I had no idea who did the killing or why. I didn't like the Malecs and suspected all of them, including Christy. But the ending left a little be desired. Still a good book though! Everytime my husband heard 'Bader' he thought she was saying 'Vader.' lol
Maria Dozeman
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Picked up this copy while on vacation. It was a perfect beach read but it doesn't make me want to consume the series.
David Highton
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I much preferred this book to the previous book in the series, a complex mystery of a complex family spread over two different time periods, with Kinsey gradually untangling the web.
Moira Russell
Could have sworn I read all the Graftons, but apparently not this one! or if I did, I COMPLETELY forgot it. Uh. Not a good brain day for me today. Maybe I should try some ginkgo whatsit.

-- Blew through this -- not great, but a pretty good comfort read while lying in bed sick. Definitely better than N or P, not as good as O (last one I reread before this), nowhere near my earlier favourites K, G, F, E, &c &c (I should go through and at least rank all of them, if not write mini-reviews, bu
Benjamin Thomas
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The completion of “M” marks the half-way point of this series (assuming the whole thing will end with “Z”). Happily, it seems to be getting better and better.

This time, Kinsey Millhone, private investigator in Santa Teresa, California in the 1980’s, is hired by her new-found cousin for a missing persons case. The missing Guy Malek’s father has recently passed away and Guy, along with his three estranged brothers stands to inherit a substantial windfall. Unfortunately, as the black sheep of the f
Susan
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I get frustrated with Kinsey in this book because Robert Dietz, Kinsey's former body guard and love interest who has been in Germany, returns and Kinsey isn't up front enough with him about her feelings. Or maybe she is too up front?

When he shows up on her doorstep after "two years, four months, and ten days," Kinsey says, "I'm not mad because you left. I'm mad because you came back. I finally got used to being by myself and here you are again. So where does that put me?"

Just. Sigh.

"M" takes p
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jennifer by: jennsicurella@verizon.net
Shelves: mystery
M is for Malice is the best Kinsey Millhone novel yet. I found this book surprising good after the less than stellar L is for Lawless.

Kinsey is beginning to reluctantly open up emotionally with her cousin Tasha, ex-lover Dietz and especially with the victim (before he is murdered, of course.) I love seeing personal character growth in long running series and I'm glad that Kinsey is beginning to progress as a character.

M is for Malice has a great mystery with twists and red herrings galore. I sus
Melenia
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
So I've been reading these books in order & I'm not really sure if this book fits. It was only a mystery for about 50% of the book which can be okay, but I picked it up because I wanted a mystery. I wasn't able to figure out the 'who-done-it' until she did so I was satisfied with that and as always the lady who reads this (audio) book was amazing. I will continue on with the series but this was not one of my favorites.
Wynn
The absolute best in the series. A superb mystery and a great cast of characters surrounds PI Kinsey Millhone. This is also the most emotional for Kinsey as her heart gets deeply involved. Loved it.
Jill Edmondson
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kinsey is like a comfy old pair of slippers.
Kathy
Nov 18, 2018 added it
Someday, some how, I will finally get to book Y, since the author died before completing the series. I have them sitting on my shelf, but honestly only read maybe 3 0r 4 a year. This is the 13th. I had the feeling that once upon a time I read this book, probably out of order. Oh well.
In this book Kinsey is hired to find a missing relative. He stands to inherit a great deal of money if she does, although his brothers would rather he remain missing. She does find Guy, and within days of returning
Kathleen Fern
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I admit that I started reading these books after the passing of Sue Grafton. I was curious. How did one publish 25 books? I was more interested in the process than the story.

I have read them in no particular order,but I see that the writing got better as she matured. I found the early ones to have glimpses, perhaps common to a young writer, of ageism and judgement - unwarranted and undeserved, in my opinion.

Having said that, I continue to pick up these books when i find them - is it curiosity?
Aviad Eilam
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I gave this book two stars, rather than one, only because (a) I'm not very familiar with the genre, and so might be judging it by somewhat inappropriate standards and (b) the plot twist towards the end and the end itself were surprising. Otherwise, the writing is bland, the characters are hackneyed and flat, the dialogue is often not believable.
Elizabeth Hesseltine
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a probate paralegal, so this one was right up my alley. Wasn't expecting a murder 1/2 way through the story, but I knew it wasn't going to be wrapped up neatly in the first few chapters. Certainly didn't see the ending coming. Great twist!
Des
This doesn't seem like it was a good place to try this series. The mystery didn't start until over halfway into the book. I feel I may have enjoyed it more had I read the first 12 books prior.
Ruth Chatlien
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful is not a word I associate with this series, but this installment ends beautifully.
Alphabet Murders: M 1 2 May 07, 2017 02:26PM
The Women's Myste...: M is for Malice 1 9 Aug 09, 2013 09:28PM

• Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5)
  • The Broken Promise Land
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
Sue Grafton was a #1 New York Times bestselling author. She is best known for her “alphabet series” featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone in the fictional city of Santa Teresa, California. Prior to success with this series, she wrote screenplays for television movies. Her earlier novels include Keziah Dane (1967) and The Lolly-Madonna War (1969), both out of print. In the book Kinsey and ...more

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
“Ghosts don't haunt us. That's not how it works. They're present among us because we won't let go of them.” 2271 likes
“Ghosts don't haunt us. That's not how it works. They're present among us because we won't let go of them."

"I don't believe in ghosts," I said, faintly.

"Some people can't see the color red. That doesn't mean it isn't there," she replied.”
71 likes