Start by marking “Native American Ethnobotany” as Want to Read:
Native American Ethnobotany

Native American Ethnobotany

An extraordinary compilation of the plants used by North American native peoples for medicine, food, fiber, dye, and a host of other things. Anthropologist Daniel E. Moerman has devoted 25 years to the task of gathering together the accumulated ethnobotanical knowledge on more than 4000 plants. More than 44,000 uses for these plants by various tribes are documented here. T ...more
Published August 15th 1998 by Timber Press (first published August 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Native American Ethnobotany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Native American Ethnobotany

Dolores Pompa
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best and largest of its kind. The only other reference is an online database. I recognize many of these home remedies in own own tribal culture. Highly recommend researching this in place of synethetic medications.
Audrey
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference-books
I have yet to go through the entire thing, but I have been using it to look up things like uses of different pine trees, what parts were used etc. This book is so thorough. I just love it. It doesn't have any images, but it doesn't need any. You have the latin names right there so you can look up your plant somewhere else before coming to this book. There are online databases a plenty for this purpose. I know I will use this book all the time. I don't know how I have lived without it until now. ...more
Matthew Thyer
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
So far a favorite ethnobotany. Comparatively extensive-comprehensive information about many of the plants I'm most interested in, but lacking drawing or images which makes identification from this tome somewhat more difficult.

Also, its so large that it would be ridiculous to take on the trail with you. But if you need information about the how or why of a plant in Colorado or the Rocky Mountain region this is the book for you.
Christin Smith
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible compilation of information on how various American Indian tribes used the native plants for food, medicine and other purposes. It has indices that allow you to search by plant name, tribe, and use of the plant.
Chris P
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plants
Easily the best book on the subject. It's based off a database of other sources so it lacks detail, however, what it lacks in detail it makes up for in thoroughness.
Aaron
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone studying medicinal herbs.
As a Medicine Man in training, this book has been absolutely invaluable to my growth in learning about plants and there uses. It's a positively great reference book.
Jason Courtney
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A hardcover database of ethnobotanical uses of North American plants. Incredible.
Annaleigh  Morrison
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I haven't finished this book yet but it is very detailed and gives thousands of uses for hundreds of plants organized in different ways throughout the book.
Deborah Martin
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully researched and nicely indexed. It's on my 'permanent reference' shelf.
Asit
Dec 11, 2007 marked it as to-read
Will read before trip to india this summer.
Beth
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Nice reference book.
Susie Westerman-dunn
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This , I would venture to say is one of the most important reference books anyone can have for studying wild edible and medicinal plants. The most informative book I know of.
Red
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really it's just a list of medicinal plants and what tribes/groups used them. Still, it's an amazing compilation of work
Cindy Hoyt

• The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • Tending the Wild: Native American Knowledge and the Management of California's Natural Resources
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs