Start by marking “Consorts of Heaven” as Want to Read:
Consorts of Heaven

Consorts of Heaven

(Hidden Empire #2)

When a naked, amnesiac stranger is found outside a remote highland village, he is taken in by Kerin, a widow whose unconventional ways are tolerated because her son Damaru is "skytouched." All skytouched are able to affect matter, and are tested by the Beloved Daughter, the living goddess who rules the world from the City of Light. If he is found worthy, Damaru will become ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Gollancz (first published May 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Consorts of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consorts of Heaven

Paul
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2015
Damaru is one of the 'skytouched', one of the few who can affect reality and change matter by their thoughts. One day he finds a man in the swamp outside their village; the man has no idea who he is and is totally naked. Damaru's mother Kerin takes him in to care for him. She calls him Sais, or stranger.

As a 'skytouched', Damaru must travel to the City of Light to be tested by the Beloved Daughter, where if he is worthy, he will become a Consort. Sais is well enough to travel, but still has no i
Liviu
One of the big awaited sf novels of 09, Consorts of Heaven came with very high expectations and it delivered and more.

A parallel book with last year excellent debut Principles of Angels and taking place on a low tech theocratic planet, but with a twist which is made quite clear later on.

But first and foremost it is a novel of two people: Kerin the strong widowed mother of 15 year old Damaru who is a "skyfool" which essentially means that he can do magic; Damaru is autistic and until his magic
C
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thought I'd reread a favourite Space Opera on my holidays this year.
Things I'd remembered. The amnesiac trudging through a medieval mud-scape. The revelations about how this universe is actually set-up. The grit of the protagonists.
Things I'd forgotten. The way a world is managed to kept in a relatively unchanging state for centuries is particularly evil.
Soho_Black
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
Fantasy and science fiction are genres that mesh well together. Some authors have written successfully across both genres, but not usually in the same story. Jaine Fenn has managed to combine both in one book and it's an interesting read.

One night, a stranger is found lying unconscious in a bog just outside the village of Dangwern. He appears to have come from nowhere and, apart from a strange piece of cloth lying near his naked body, there is nothing to suggest who he is or where he came from.
John
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this novel. We follow the tale of a man named Sais and a woman named Kerin, from the moment where Sais is discovered by Kerin's son, to the awesome twist at the end of the novel. This novel is the second in the series, behind Fenn's debut novel Principles of Angels. That book is set in a city-state, and although it's been a while since I read it, I remember massively enjoying it. It had advanced technologies in it, but wasn't really focusing on them, and ended up feeling like a ne ...more
Jacey
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The first half of this book reads like a fantasy, but it's actually science fiction, though taking place on an isolated, backwards and repressed world. Kerin's sky-touched son, Damaru, (autistic with special talents) finds a naked, unconscious, amnesiac man on the edge of the swamp. Kerin, a widow, nurses him back to physical health and begins to dream of a better future with him. He names himself Sais - stanger, outsider - and proceeds to try and recover lost memories. He remembers nothing of h ...more
Pippa Jay
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
*Warning - there is a spoiler in this review!*

Wonderful world building in this - a mixture of fantasy and scifi that I thoroughly enjoyed. It follows the journey of a man who wakes with no memory going from the backward humble village to the city, recovering himself along the way and realising that the goddess-like powers of the primitive religion on this world are actually alien technology that he himself is familiar with. The supposed deification of 'sky-fools' - those with a special talent to
Guy Robinson
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
On a superstitious and low-technology world Kerin, a resourceful widow just able to maintain her status, discovers a man who seems to have both fallen from the sky and lost his memory.

In such a distant place the only answer seems to be that this stranger, who is named Sais, must join Kerin and her sky-touched son, Damaru, on a lengthy pilgrimage to the home of living goddess who rules this world. For there her son is due to potentially become a Consort for this deity.

On this journey, from which
Adrian Leaf
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
The second book in Jaine Fenn's Hidden Empire series. Not really a direct sequel but does continue some of the threads left open from the first book. Very well drawn characters are explored to the full and It deepens and expands Fenn's Future History in interesting ways. She takes a cliche'd trope of narrative fiction (The amnesiac who wakes up not knowing where he is or who he is) and explores a downtrodden religious fantasy type setting. In fact it is mainly a Fantasy Novel told from a Science ...more
Michael O'Donnell
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it

Yet again I had not read the first one.

A well constructed book. Again bits to pick at.

Can hardly imagine that the drove was financially viable.

Was horrified when the answer was the Sidhe. I have read other Sidhe books (when much younger) and there are better ones. When the Sidhe were mentioned it immediately made me think of junior fiction and that ruined the rest of the experience. It comes with baggage.

Readable but not more than once and I have no interest in reading the first one
Peter Greenwell
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad, not bad at all, though I had this uncanny sense that I'd read books practically identical to this one before. On its own merits, there isn't much wrong with it. Some of the characterisations aren't quite what they need to be. I baulk at a few of the story concepts too, that verge on "oh please" type situations. In all, solid but nothing that'd give you pause or bring on spates of deep thoughtfulness.
Vermillion
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the first book I've read by Jaine and I really enjoyed it. I cared about the central characters of Kerin, Sais and Damaru immediately, and got emotionally involved in the plot. There are plot twists a plenty, and although there was a part about three quartres through that I found less easy going, I pushed through and enjoyed the conclusion. I definitely want to go back and read her first book and her subsequent books.
Paige
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fsf, britannia
This is one of those rare books that does manage to merge SF and fantasy well without making it awkward. The characters are good, the story is good...I just wish there was some more explication and detail, but you can't always get what you want.

I'll be keeping my eye out for Fenn's work in the future, though, as I definitely want to know how the larger plot of her series unfolds.
M
BOOOOORING
do not read - waste of time
not bad - just booooring
nothing happens
while reading it I couldnt care less about characters or plot
McCaffrey and Zimmer Bradley wrote such stuff in the early 80s. just better
Vince
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010
Just finished Consorts of Heaven based on a suggestion from Liviu at the Fantasy Book Critic (whom I follow fairly religiously). I was so pleasantly suprised that Guardians of Paridise will most definately be purchased!! Good job Jaine Fenn!!
Matti Tornio
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Early on this book held a lot of promise. There's some quality worldbuilding, even if it feels a touch derivative. Too bad the second half of the book is a big mess. The author really struggles with the action sequences and the ending itself is quite uninspired.
Fred Langridge
Dec 06, 2013
Verwonderaar
Aug 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Truth may be stranger than fiction, but it's also far harder to track down. Jaine Fenn has had numerous short stories professionally published, some of which appear in the collection 'Downside Girls' and has won the British Science Fiction Association Short Fiction award. Her Hidden Empire space opera sequence, published by Gollancz, starts with the novel 'Principles of Angels'. Her Shadowlands sc ...more

Hidden Empire (5 books)
  • Principles of Angels
  • Guardians of Paradise
  • Bringer Of Light
  • Queen of Nowhere (Hidden Empire, #5)