Start by marking “Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)

Finding Father Christmas

(Father Christmas #1)

Bestselling author Robin Jones Gunn brings readers a poignant Christmas novella about a woman, desperate for a place to belong, who finds herself in London a few days before Christmas, looking for the father she never knew.

In FINDING FATHER CHRISTMAS, Miranda Carson's search for her father takes a turn she never expected when she finds herself in London with only a few fee
Published October 11th 2007 by FaithWords (first published July 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Father Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Father Christmas

Victoria Goodbrand
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I just loved this!
1/2 star marked off for a few things i disliked.
4.5 stars.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Miranda Carson's search for her father takes a turn she never expected when she finds herself in London with only a few feeble clues to who he might be. Unexpectedly welcomed into a family that doesn't recognize her, and whom she's quickly coming to love, she faces a terrible decision.
Should she reveal her true identity and destroy their idyllic image of her father? Or should she carry the truth home with her to San Francisco and remain alone in this world? Whatever choice she
Natalie

I had a hard time connecting to Miranda as a character, and the writing style was a bit off for me (overly descriptive one minute, and the glossing over details the next).

It also ended very abruptly, just as the story was getting going.
Julia
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finding Father Christmas by Robin Jones Gunn is an absolutely charming contemporary read. I loved the way dialogue from other novels - such as Narnia, The Tempest and A Christmas Carol - was incorporated into the story. The whole tale was warm and welcoming and I felt the arms of the story reach out and cocoon me.
The novel has the theme of searching. Not just physically searching but spiritually searching, and this was a dual search - as Miranda was searching for something or someone, so God was
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Miranda Carson goes to England to find out who her father is and only has a few clues to go on. When she happens into a Tea Cosy she is wisked into the lives of the Whitcombe's and finding everyone so lovely and nice to a complete stranger. When she finds out who her father is, she is not sure if she wants to tell anyone because it could be hurtful. Will Miranda face the facts and let her heart lead?

I will be honest and say that I thought this book was a bit boring at first. Not that Robin Jones
writer...
Exceptional.

Poetic writing of Ms Gunn enhances the unique story of a twenty nine year old single woman on a journey to find the father she's never known. Armed with a playbill and an old Christmas photo, Miranda treats herself to a Christmas holiday in England. In an effort to discover the persons in the photo, she heads to the photo studio named on the back.

The story that unfolds is pure delight. Poignant memories of Miranda's past meld into the welcome received at her Christmas Eve arrival in
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Brooke (i blog 4 books)

I'm not sure what I was expecting with this book. I found the main character (Miranda) very difficult to connect with. It wasn't until the very end of the story that I got caught up with wanting to know the rest of her story. Then the book ended pretty abruptly, which I assume sets things up for the next book. I'm not sure if I'll read Engaging Father Christmas or not.
Denise
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Dangerously close to being syrupy sweet, this book still worked for me. There was a little mystery to solve as the main character searched for her father, but mostly it was the setting. The small English village (complete with freshly fallen snow) getting ready to perform A Christmas Carol transported me to a much happier place than the drizzly fog lingering outside my window.
Pianogirl1126
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
so good!! I really really liked it. now watching the Hallmark movie to see how it compares.
Aimée Reisert
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
I really liked this little book... then again, the main character could have been me! I look forward to reading the sequel.
Caroline Dube
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
After watching the movie on Hallmark many times, I finally decided to give the book a try. As with many books adapted to film, there were some distinct differences. This begins with Miranda traveling to England in search of her father. Miranda finds so much more. This was a fast read and a cute story. This story was a neat “package” and very much a Hallmark style story. There is redemption in the story.
Nina
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
So this book is the premise of last year’s Hallmark Christmas movie. While watching it again this year, I discovered in the credits this book was what the movie was based on! Hallmark Christmas movies is my dirty little secret. I’m probably the only non-religious person out there that is a huge Hallmark Christmas movie fan. I enjoyed the movie immensely. And it took huge liberties. It was fun to find out the story takes place in England and not Vermont like the movie.
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very beautifully written book. It was a little slow in spots that's the reason for the 4 stars instead of 5, otherwise it was great.
My favorite thing about this book were the descriptions. The Author had an excellent way of really setting the scene or (painting a picture) as I like to say. For that reason alone I loved this book.

"I kept walking. Down the hill, around the corner, and past the ivy-covered chapel. I paused only a moment to have a look at the softly lit church with the a
Donna
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Miranda Carson arrives in England in search of the father she never knew. The only clue she had was an old photo she found in her mother's belongings that showed "Father Christmas" with a boy on his lap sobbing.

Miranda does come into the family that also has the same portrait on their wall in their home. She doesn't know whether to talk to the family about what she thinks. Maybe "Father Christmas" is her father. Should she reveal who she is and what she knows? Should she take the truth, as she k
Alyssa Tabor
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Forgot how utterly charming and moving this little story is. It is as a friend once referred to another book, "soul food." Can't wait to see the new Hallmark movie on November 13th!!! Read this again 10/18/16.
11/6/18 This book is simply a masterpiece.
Amy Burt bibliophile
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
sweet, quick read about finding family
MK ( Makayla)
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hello frens!
Finding father Christmas was one of those books that you pick up and immediately know you're going to love it.
I've read a lot of Gunns books before (mostly her Christy books which are AMAZING btw 😜) so I was expecting a lot from this book ! My expectations were blown out of the water ! It was even more AMAZING than I expected !! 🙌❤
The characters were wonderful especially Ellie she was dressed up for the play and she reminded me a lot of effie trinket in her manner and especially her
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miranda Carson arrives in England at the beginning of the Christmas season searching for the father she never knew. Her Mother had gone to her grave without ever tell Miranda his name or anything else about him. The only clue she had was an old photograph found among some of her mother's belongings. The picture showed "Father Christmas" with a boy on his lap sobbing. On the back was the name Carlton Photography Studio in Bexley Lane in England.
In her search she was invited to a Father Christmas
Emily Henderson
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started off different from the movie. They took the second chapter in the book and made it the beginning of the movie with an alternate ending. I wish they would have included more about the relationship she had with her mom. The stories she told of their adventures were really special and should have been highlighted more. The story was truly a Christmas story of healing, discovery and the power of a new start. I loved how Miranda was in her discovery phase on so many levels in this b ...more
Jeff
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After falling in love with Hallmark's broadcast of "Finding Father Christmas" last year, I just had to seek out the book series, three books in all.

This version differs from the movie in location and other subtleties, but equally brilliant, plus filling in more of the details of Miranda's background and her loving relationship with her mother.

For those of you not familiar with book or movie, it's a story about a young woman in search of her past, a family and most of all, a father, whom her mo
Becky
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
I only gave this three stars because the story was cute. The writing, however, deserves only two stars.

That said, it is undeniably a happy Christmas story that really puts one in the mood for the holiday. I’m not a fan of Christian novel because I feel they try too hard to bring God into the mix, and this one was no exception. The mentions of Christ in Gunn’s book felt forced and made me cringe—though to be fair that’s what happens in just about every Christian novel I’ve ever read.

Gunn’s writ
Kayla Key
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Visit my blog for the full content review: https://kaylakeybooks.wordpress.com/2...

This was the perfect novella to kick off the Christmas season! It was cute and heartwarming, and it also contained a good amount of Faith content. This is the first novella of the Father Christmas trilogy, and I can’t wait to read the next one! It has also been made into a movie on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel, which I am looking forward to watching soon. I would recommend this book to anyone who is
Rose
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a really sweet novella. With the text a dark green, this book immediately showed how unique it was even before I started reading. At the beginning of each chapter, a lamp post was behind the type, giving the book a cozy feeling. It had many references to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis and other musicals. I was hooked from chapter one with its slightly eerie beginning. Each character had their own, distinct personality. Julia was such a fun little gir ...more
Liz Fackelman
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I had trouble getting into the book in the first few chapters. But I made myself pick it up again, and I found myself up until midnight having to finish it. So it gets better as it goes along. The main character seemed real, but the writing style in general isn't a 5 star for me. I'm still looking for a favorite writer in the Christian Fiction genre, and Robin Jones Gunn is so far not what I'm looking for. But since I couldn't put it down, and it is a sweet Christmas story, I do recommend it.
Sarahlynn
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Do not recommend. Implausible events throughout, impossible to suspend my disbelief. Story very surface—characters are talking stereotypes, events are cliches. Worst: much of the novel suffers from a miscommunication problem. If one character opened her mouth at any time during the first 90% of the story, we’d skip right to the last two pages. (Just day it! Just say it!) But instead, she keeps lying down to take a nap. Also—she doesn’t change clothes or shower for the entire book, which includes ...more
Tina
Since I saw the made for television movie prior to reading the story (thank you, Hallmark), I had an inkling of what to expect. The book, as per usual, held more connections in a different setting. Lyrical, this "Christian" novel subtly keeps the true meaning of Christmas at the heart. A somewhat rushed conclusion, I believe, will be truly wrapped up in the sequel (which I have yet to see in movie form, even though it does exist).
Bethany
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the story - it was perfect for getting me into the spirit of Christmas I loved that the setting was in England. I listened to this book by audiobook The only downside for me was the narrator when reading the main character would switch to an American accent and it was really distracting.
Kathy Butkiewicz
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A sweet romance story and a quick read. I checked out this book because Hallmark Channel was showing their sequels from 2017 and 2018 that are loosely based upon the story lines. The book is richer and more entertaining.
A.E. Fuhrman
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
I loved that this Christmas book was not primarily a romance (although there were hints to that) or a mystery (although it was a small element of the story). Instead, this book was about family and belonging. It was cozy and short and perfect for the busy holiday season. I recommend it.
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Christmas Candle
  • The Snowflake
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • A Wreath of Snow
  • A Wish for Christmas (Cape Light #10)
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
  • The Great Christmas Bowl
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 90 books with more than 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide. Her Father Christmas books are a Hallmark Original movie. Her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Robin's novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and h ...more

Father Christmas (3 books)
  • Engaging Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #2)
  • Kissing Father Christmas (Father Christmas #3)