Start by marking “Jacob's Way” as Want to Read:
Jacob's Way

Jacob's Way

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
'The army makes a man hard sometimes. I remember a young girl no more than ten who gave me a glass of buttermilk just outside of Chancellorsville. I still remember that. I guess that's all my life is. Some pictures fading out behind me, and there's not much before me.' Reisa listened as he spoke. She knew that he was a man who longed for goodness, and longed for friends, a ...more
Published May 11th 2008 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Jacob's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacob's Way

Ann
Mar 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued with this book that bore a sticker that said, "we guarantee you'll love this book......".The story basically is about a Jewish grandfather and grand daughter forced to leave Russia, arriving in America (New York), eventually travelling to the post-Civil War South. The grandfather, although not a rabbi, is well versed with the Bible and the old testament, written in Hebrew. The pair are well received wherever they go, even though they are non Christians and their new friends are e ...more
Anne
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this is not the typical fast action type book that is often popular, nor is it the passionate love story type, I found this to be an intriguing book and could not put it down. The story is not fast paced, but I found myself more and more interested in the developing lives of the main characters and their supporting cast. It felt very true to life and Gilbert Morris did a good job of opening up to his readers what it would be like to be the characters; how they felt, what they thought, the ...more
Mary
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might read the prologue and wonder if the book centers around animals and birds, but I assure you, it is not. A tale of a granddaughter and her Jewish Grandfather who barely escape from "Cossacks"...she whispered hoarsely, "It's a pogrom!"

Their journey across the ocean, sick and scared, takes them to a new country where they learn many new things and meet all kind of people, mostly gracious. But they never expected to change in the ways they do...but it is for the best.

Gilbert Morris is a wo
Leslie
Aug 26, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was a slow starter; but about half way through it started to get interesting to me. Even though Dov and Hilda were minor characters; I thought they fit each other perfectly. This book had me thinking about the characters days after I finished the book. I liked how Jacob and Sam would disect the Old Testament and show how prophesy came true in the New Testament. I also found interesting how they compared the Hebrew version to the English version.
Jennifer Love
This ended up being a very charming novel. Time and setting wise I am familiar with this period, but never from this perspective, from this ethnicity's point of view. And oh how I love to learn from a new view point! To walk through something you may never experience in your own lifetime, it is such a gift.
Deb
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started out interesting, a story of Jews forced to leave Russia. When it turned into lots of bible verses and being born again, I read more of the back cover: "Best-known Christian novelist, specializing in historical fiction." That's fine, but it's as though the author had a goal and didn't know how to work his messages in smoothly. Warm characters, with predictable story outcome.
Patti Victorson
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the friendships, the life struggles, the love stories, the spiritual journey of the characters. Some of the theology of people being resurrected after death wasn't quite right......but all in all it was had to put this book down until I finished it.
Hannah
Jan 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful.
Sondra Weidman
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read.
Melissa
There was more feelings-based romance than I expected in this (points off from me), but it had some interesting things about Jews and the Bible.
Rebecca Rash
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow, but a sweet novel.
Sylvanna
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my cherished friends , I would recommend it to anyone
Lyman
Apr 04, 2010
Danielle
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Custody of the State (Chambers of Justice, #2)
  • Just Another Girl
  • City of the Dead (Seven Wonders, #1)
  • In Every Heartbeat
  • Vermont Weddings: Dear Granny/The Long Trail to Love/Sweet Sugared Love (Heartsong Novella Collection)
  • Tulip Girl
  • The Pattern (American Quilt, #1)
  • Alaska: Four Inspirational Love Stories
  • In a Heartbeat (In a Heartbeat #1)
  • The Thyroid Diet Revolution: Manage Your Master Gland of Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss
  • I'll Bring You Buttercups (Suttons, #1)
  • Texas Charm: Love Is in the Air Around Houston (Texas Charm #1-4)
  • Arkansas: Four Brothers Risk Their Hearts for Love in the Ozarks
  • I Know Why the Angels Dance
  • Virginia
  • Ghosts: The Story of a Reunion
  • Sarah's New World: The Mayflower Adventure
  • Brain Games for Dogs: Fun Ways to Build a Strong Bond with Your Dog and Provide It with Vital Mental Stimulation