Start by marking “Zigzag Street” as Want to Read:
Zigzag Street

Zigzag Street

Richard Derrington's doing it tough.

Since Anna trashed him his job seems pointles, Tuesday seems moderately fucked by ten, his tennis appalling.....long periods of complete crap, punctuated by flashes of very random glory and the future bleka.

This is a hiatus? There I was thinking I was sinking and it's just a hiatus.

Apart from his friens, the only thing keeping Richard go
Published February 6th 1998 by Pan Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Zigzag Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zigzag Street

Phrynne
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
My first book by this author but I will soon be putting that right. He writes a genuinely funny and engaging book. Okay I occasionally wanted to give the main character a smack and tell him to get his act together but mostly I just laughed at the silly situations he ended up in.

There was some really great dialogue between many of the characters and sometimes no dialogue was required. The scene where his boss comes out of the lift, sees Richard dancing naked in the foyer (you just have to read it
Blair
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Nick Ear's whimsical tale, Zig Zag Street. I found his protagonist, Richard Derrington, funny, sympathetic and utterly hilarious. His struggles to find happiness and reason in his ordinary life kept me entertained and laughing all the way. Toasted mouse leg ... indeed!
Amanda
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Almost slapstick in some places yet very poignant in others, this is a novel I have read and re-read many a time.

Rick is a twenty-something corporate lawyer - and a much more engaging and likable character than that description perhaps implies. Recently dumped by his long term girlfriend Anna, he lurches from one debacle to another as he struggles to come to terms with his singledom.

In between 'renovating' the home that belonged to his recently deceased grandmother, Rick falls for his boss, play
Michael Mcclelland
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the very few books that I find worthwhile re-reading. Also one of the very few books that caused me physical pain (in a good way, through laughing so hard). Even now, into what must be double-figure re-reads, there's still hearty chuckles. I've loaned my copy to a dozen or more people with different reading preferences, from different countries, with different first languages even, and all who've taken the time to read it (yes, I'm excluding YOU pair, who found the first 30 pages too depr ...more
Michaela Shea
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone living in Brisbane who's been to uni.
Recommended to Michaela by: My mum
It's great to read a book based in Bris vegas rather than Sydney, Melbourne, the US or the UK. Nick Earls captures the heat, the group dinners with too much alcohol and the ridiculously steep hills around Zig Zag street. I finally read this after resisting for so long. It gave me pangs for my uncomplicated past when being dumped seemed like the end of the world. It lurches from funny to sad to "why the hell are you doing that?" but I have to wonder, do men really talk to each other like that? Ab ...more
Ruth Bonetti
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surely this is the epitome of author fame, to appropriate a street. How can one drive through Zigzag Street without giggling at memories of often manic situations–which Nick Earls does with deft humour–even though one read the book years ago? He has captured the Brisbane vibe over many enjoyable books.
Emlikescake
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just re-read this for the first time in many years, and loved it even more than I used to. I laughed just as hard, but this came out when I was in Grade 11, so back then I didn't get the loneliness and the heartbreak and the utter shit of being dumped. I love this book. So much. But now I'm a bit homesick. Bummer.
Kerry
Jun 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Emo's
life from a whiny/whingers point of view - perfect for Emo's who feel everything in life is stacked up against them and people who are so utterly useless thay fail to seize the day - any day that is ;-)
Emma Oldroyd
Nov 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
This was the worst book I've ever read. Richard Derrignton was a dick (pun not intended).
4triplezed
Read this back in the day. I recall that at the time it was very important but I came out thinking it was just "nice"
Tara
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I can't endorse the review of "laugh out loud funny", but it was amusing and filled a lull between books.
Mary
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read.
Fiona
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny. This book has been passed to all my colleagues.
Meg
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Took me a bit to get into, but overall very funny and enjoyable
Caitilin Jones
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you live in Brisbane- you should read this. If you've even been split up with-you should read this. If you've never read Nick Earles- read this!!
Jane
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky and enjoyable!
Jill Smith
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a real laugh, the situations twenty-eight year old and very single Richard Derrington gets into, have you giggling throughout. He is clearly an over thinker.

Everything Richard Derrington does is a disaster. He just can’t get his had together since Anna left. His work is a computer game filled blur, and his attempts to renovate his Grandmother’s home are entirely unproductive. His mother only lets him live there so that he can do up the place the colours she’s chosen. Somehow Richard lik
Robyn Philip
This is very enjoyable book. It's funny, imaginative, full of self-deprecation, well structured, and there's a rhythm to the language that I like. Nick Earl's is a Brisbane institution but I've only just found him.

I thought the first half of the book was the best, where Richard Derrington, a 20 something, bumbles about his life in a sad-sack way. He's lost his girlfriend and is now failing to thrive in most aspects of his Brisbane existence. He lives on popcorn, Tim Tams and the occasio
TheMadHatter
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 2.5

If you are in your late 20s/30s and have lived in Brisbane then this book will seem very familiar to you - we have all lived it. There are some serious laugh-out-loud moments and it is interesting to get a male take on the whole dating/relationship scene.

However, the writing of conversations in this book (using italics to represent different speakers) really annoyed the hell out of me. I found it hard to follow who was saying what and whether it was a thought or something he a
Lucien Romano
A mate in Brissie recommended this, so I gave it a go and tried hard to like it. The style is readable and there are some funny moments, but as a normally positive person myself, the protagonist's relentless parade of dysfunctional self-pity eventually wore me down. I kept reading in the hope that things would eventually get better, but it didn't happen and I ran out of patience because there are so many other things I want to read.

If Schadenfreude is your thing, you might love this, but I could
Damien Ayers
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It has been on my radar for a while, I lived around the corner from Zigzag St and heard it was an entertaining read.

Not knowing quite what to expect, I slipped into familiar surroundings, albeit several years before I lived here. The dialogue characterises this as 'world of snark' trope, and there were echoes of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, one of my favourite movies, in scenes of chaos and wit the protagonist finds himself in.

Recommended for anyone familiar with Brisban
Clio
Dec 03, 2013 added it
Shelves: 2013
Nostalgic blast from the past Earls. I love his awkward fumbling heros, and his long rambling thought processes that typify his writing. Zigzag st is fun, full of classic lines and cring-worthy moments. It's true, I love a crap character, and Rick is no exception.
I listened to the audio of this book, and often my partner and I both stopped whatever we were doing just to listen in mounting laughter to the story. A great fun book, really captures the early '90s Brisbane, even though I wasn't ther
Meredith Walker
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I love how Nick Earls writes. He lets you into the Richard/Rick/Ricky’s post-relationship head, especially due to its first person, present tense narrative style. He also describes Brisbane exactly the way it is/was. Being set in Brisbane means that references to cricket, Timtams and The Triffids will be lost on some readers but if not, they are a huge asset to the likeability of this tale. It is an engaging, genuinely funny book.
Matt
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a 16 year old high school student I (was made to) read Nick Earls classic tale of a slightly crap 28 year old living in inner-western Brisbane. At the time I remember not being entirely impressed. However being now 28 and living in the inner western suburbs of Brisbane I figured I owed the book a re-read and found myself laughing out loud at parts and identifying a little too much at others.
Definitely worth a read if you are in your twenties and live in Brisbane.
Bronwyn Rykiert
This story took a bit to get into and I don't know even at the end if I was actually into it or not. Richard has recently broken up with his girlfriend, he has been trashed as he tells it. He tells us how he is feeling which is not very good and even when he meets Rachael he's not sure how he should feel.

I have to admit that I am glad that I have finished it.

Rochelle
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh I loved this book. It reverberated to my core with me in my early 20's.....I felt like I was living in a Nick Earls book. I understood his characters cos they were me and my friends....I lent this to my brother and thought it was stupid!!! Ah, the relevance of a time!
Evelyn
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a warm, fuzzy, feel good kind of book. At times I laughed out loud, but I also enjoyed the more poignant moments, like the hair brushing scene.

I had the audiobook version and was amused that while the reader got the pronouciation of "Toowong" right this time he stuffed up "St Lucia".
Stephen Carlyon
I used to live a block away from Zig Zag street in red hill. Earls gets the character of the suburb down perfectly. Still a pretty dopey story, but easy going and good fun.
Pamela Briant
This is the second time I have read this book and I laughed just as much the second time around.
Sars
Jun 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian
My absolute favourite Nick Earls novel. It's one of those rare books that has you laughing out loud. So funny and so very Aussie.

• Dark Palace
  • The Fine Colour of Rust
  • Too Many Men
  • Careless
  • Highways to a War
  • Stiff (Murray Whelan, #1)
  • The Lucky Country
  • The Submerged Cathedral
Nick Earls is the author of twelve books, including bestselling novels such as Zigzag Street, Bachelor Kisses, Perfect Skin and World of Chickens. His work has been published internationally in English and also in translation, and this led to him being a finalist in the Premier of Queensland’s Awards for Export Achievement in 1999.

Zigzag Street won a Betty Trask Award in the UK in 1998, and is cur
“It’s your crap that’s endearing. It’s the basis of any relationship, way beyond even the choice of who wins on to whom. It’s crap that sustains things. The mutual vulnerability that comes from knowing each other’s crap. How shallow would we be if you only felt things for people on account of their successes? How likely would that be to survive?” 0 likes