Start by marking “Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #7)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #7)

Shades of Midnight

(Midnight Breed #7)

In a frozen wilderness steeped in darkness, the lines between good and evil, lover and enemy, are never black or white but drawn in Shades of Midnight.

Something inhuman is stalking the frigid Alaskan wilds, leaving unspeakable carnage in its wake. For bush pilot Alexandra Maguire, the killings stir memories of a horrific event she witnessed as a child and evoke in her the
Published December 29th 2009 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Midnight

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Call of the Wild Stars

Spoilers

Shades of Midnight was a good read. I will say the first time I read it I rated it a 5 star, but this time around I'm rating it a 4. The reason for the one star drop was I felt Alex and Kade's relationship felt rushed this time around. I just didn't feel their connection as strong as I remember feeling it last time. Still even with the rush feel to their love it was a really good book.

Alexandra was a great heroine. Smart, compassionate, and understanding. I lov
Shawna
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Continuation of series; fans of paranormal romance, Ward's BDB series, and Ione's Demonica series
5 stars – Vampire Romance

In this latest installment of the Midnight Breed series, a killer is leaving a violent, bloodthirsty trail of carnage through the Alaskan wilderness and it’s up to one of the Breed Order’s newest recruits, the volatile vampire warrior Kade, and a local bush pilot, Alexandra Maguire, to uncover the truth behind the brutal slayings and stop an ancient evil before it’s too late.

Kade, with his spiky raven, jet black hair, golden skin, penetrating, hypnotic, silver eyes, erot
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Nicely done, Ms. Adrian. This was a very good book. Kade turned out to be a real sweetie under that hardcore, ice-cold warrior facade. He was very tortured by the double whammy of his brother's killer predilection and the fear that he'd be the same. Even though he was living a life of fighting with the Order and partying hard off-duty with human women to get his blood fix, deep down, I think he wanted a woman for his own mate the whole time.

When he met Alexandra, it clicked. And it was the same
Fabi
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #7- slightly shy of 4 stars - 3.75

We get more continuing plot-line of the Order and their nemesis Drago and the Ancient. Happy views of several of the Order's loved characters.

This is the story of Kade who joined the Order a short year ago. His origin the wilds of Alaska. On Order business, he goes back home to try to solve the mystery of a brutal murder.

There's romance of course. It's the paranormal romance genre after all. Kade meets Alexandria. A brilliant pilot and courageous, caring w
Sophia Triad
Breed Warrior Kade
Special ability: Connection with predatory animals like wolves
Age: Around 100 years old

Breedmate Alex
Special ability: Lie detection by touching
Occupation: Pilot
Mark place: Left hip

Settings: Harmony, Alaska

I absolutely loved this book. It begins really intense with a whole native family being slaughtered and someone videotaping the aftermath. The video is put on the Internet and Kade is sent to investigate as the Order is suspecting Rogues have been involved.

Kade is fr
Buggy
SHADES OF MIDNIGHT is book 7 from the Midnight Breed series which I’ve followed from the beginning and for the most part really enjoyed. You can always count on yummy and tortured alpha male heroes, steamy romance and exciting action filled paranormal storylines. Adrian has built a great Vampire world here that always reminds me of a vanilla-fied version of Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood. Unlike Ward each instalment continues to be either hit or miss for me though and I’m never really sure goin ...more
Beanbag Love
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This latest installment in Lara Adrian's "Midnight Breed" series is leaps and bounds better than the last one, IMO. I could barely finish "Ashes of Midnight" but I could barely put this one down.

Kade is one of the newer members of the Order. He was introduced a couple of books ago as a new recruit along with Brock. At the time I felt it was a rather obvious and awkward effort to bring racial diversity to the crew. I still feel that way. Not that I object to the end result. But their introduction
Alkyoni

An ancient vampire is on the loose in the small Alaskan town of Harmony, turning it into anything but. Kade of the Order is sent to his familiar terrain to investigate the gruesome murders and once there, he stumbles upon a female bush pilot that is * SURPRISE * a breed mate, and they feel a mutual attraction like nevah before.

I enjoyed this book of the Midnight Breed Series much more than expected to. Maybe I was in a mood for love, maybe the artic background was cooling the August heat or mayb
Rossy
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Breed fans/rom-pnr fans
Recommended to Rossy by: Continuation of a series
I have to admit that after waiting for the release of this book i was a bit hesitant to finally read it. I read a few reviews previously that left me wondering if i would really enjoy the story.

I shouldn't have worried because the book was great, in fact one of the best i have enjoyed from the series. These two very broken main characters were just fantastic and i have to say that i didn't feel at all any lack of depth in their relationship. Nor did i think that after what they had each endured
Stacie
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 "And the Plot Thickens!" Stars!!

I loved it!! I really liked both Alex and Kade. Alex especially because she was a take charge kind of girl. The series plot just keeps getting better and better. I cannot wait to get to the next book! Happy reading!
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review
Summary
In the wilderness of Alaska, there is a dangerous being moving about killing in his wake. Alexandra Maguire, has seen these type of killings before. She knows what type of being it is and how dangerous it can be. Her own mother and younger brother were murdered by a vampire. But Alexandra is afraid to say anything. Kade, a vampire warrior has come to Alaska to discover who is killing at random, but he also has come to heal some b
Kathrynn
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Shades of Midnight had a lot of potential, but I found it too slow. There was a lot of clutter in the writing that bothered me, too. Character's speculating about events that did, may or may not occur. An enormous amount of recapping or summing up of events that already happened....

As for the two main characters, Kade and Alexandra, they were good, well developed. I grew frustrated at all the doom and gloom Kade carried around based on his family situation. Got SO tired of reading about all his
DarienMoya
^^ALASKA AND VAMPIRES,WHEN HOT MEETS COLD!^^

Book 7 in the Breed series takes us to Alaska, and seriously, I wasn’t expecting that. It seemed like quite the leap, from city vampires to frozen terrain of unknown Alaska. As the book progressed, it started to sort of make sense, when you have an animalistic predator on the prowl his pursuit of any and everything living would take them anywhere.

Well the people of a small town in Alaska are about to be ripped apart and their cold haven becoming a liv
Jilly
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
From 2 stars for the last book, up to 4 stars for this one. Woo hoo!
Why, cuz Kade is yummy and Alex is awesome!
Plus, there is a dog! Luna, the Husky. I totally fell in love with Luna. And, Luna fell in love with Kade too!

Luna had parked her traitorous butt at his feet and gazed up adoringly at him while he reached down and scratched her behind the ears. Normally the wolf dog was cautious around stranger, wary of new people, but not with him.

He can scratch behind my ears anytime. Rarh!

This book
AJ
Another Midnight Breed book finished - and another one that I absolutely loved!

I fear I am becoming a wee bit obsessed with this series! They have the perfect mix of action, swoony, steamy romance, and absolutely fantastic characters that you cannot help but love.

Kade is a newer member of the Order, and I was worried that I wouldn’t connect with him as much seeing as though I hadn’t known him from the beginning of the series. WRONG! I absolutely loved him, and was entrenched in his story from p
D.G.
I know I said in the reviews of the past 6 books (this is #7) that I wouldn't continue the series. And here I am, continuing the series.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this book a lot more than the previous ones. I thought the relationship happened a bit too fast, specially since the heroine had been traumatized by vampires in her childhood, so how she got over that he was one too, was crazy. The whole overall plot with Dragos and the Ancient is still going strong though. I wonder if he's really dead.

I'll sto
Zeek
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pnr, favorites-pnr
Part of a group of vampire warriors who protect humanity from the evils within their own race, Kade is summoned home when a family is torn to bits by an apparent rogue attack on a quiet settlement in his hometown.

Upon arrival he meets bush pilot Alexandra Maguire, the person who first happened upon the massacre and decides very quickly she is one who knows more about what's going on by the haunted look in her eye.

Alex doesnt know what's going on now, but she's seen this kind of attack before. So
Jessica
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
I started this series a while ago. For the life of me I can't remember why I quit reading it.

Reminds me a lot of Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. Will continue on with the next book. I love that this was set in Alaska. It is my very favorite place for books I read to be set in.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Mareli
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another 5 stars, wow I loved those books! They're amazing!

THis time we have to fly up to Alaska because the action is there. So Kade, who's originally from there is back home because of some murders, probably by vampires.

I liked this story a lot, not only because of Alex, another wonderful stron heroine for our Breeds, but mostly because of Kade's family history.

Really good. I loved his relationship with his twin brother and the struggle is fighting about it.

NOt to mention the Ancient. He was r
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Apr 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shades of Midnight, was awesome!!
This is the 7th book in the Midnight Breed series and it is a fantastically Fresh new way to look at the world of Vampires!!
This Story i s about Kade and Alexandra...It is wonderful a i love how we get to no Kade so much more then we ever have!! He is so sweet sexy and Loving i really enjoyed him and Alex..
I cried and i Laughed, what else could you wont!! If you haven't started to read the Midnight Breed series you should give it ago!!!
This is book 7 in the Midnight Breed series & although each book can be read as a stand alone story I really recommend that you read the books in order in order to get the most out of the series and follow the ongoing story.

Alex is a pilot in Alaska who earns a living delivering supplies to remove villages. When doing one of her usual deliveries she discovers the bodies of an entire family who have been brutally murdered. The terrifying thing for Alex is that she has seen this kind of damag
Laura the Highland Hussy
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The beginning deals with the events that draw Alex and Kade together for a while before they even meet, but it's good to know, and it makes their meeting that much more interesting. this book has the most action out of any except maybe Veil of Midnight.
Alex is a pilot in Alaska who discovers a grisly scene at her first delivery. And entire family has been brutally slaughtered, but she recognizes the look since her mother and brother were killed by Rogues when she was a girl. Then Kade shows up.
Laurie Garrison
These are things I loved/liked: I loved the story line, Kade he was awesome, loved his ability wouldn’t mind having that one myself, liked the sad prelude although it was hideous it make you want to read more, absolutely loved the Alaskan setting and all the snow and I liked how Jenna was left with no closure, it gives a little peak of something bigger coming.

Things I didn’t like: The biggest one is Alex she just didn’t seem believable one bit, I mean just rollover and cave in, get real and her
Rhonda
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
What can I say really, that hasn't already been said about this series? I will say that I absolutely loved this addition to the series. I like the addition of new characters again, and the story telling was wonderful, I just kept turning the pages uncontrollably, I just couldn't stop once I was able to sit down with it.
I loved Kade so much, I think he is easily one of my favorites now, maybe it's because I think his "talent" was really cool. He and Andreas have the best tricks in the trick bag
Alex is The Romance Fox
I loved this book...probably one of my favourite in the series so far.

Stunning settings in Alaska - so vividly described...the remoteness, silence, whiteness, desolate....totally amazing.

Adored Alexandra and Kade. What a fabulous couple. Great sexual and emotional tension betweem the two. Also enjoyed the secondary characters in this vastness of land....dark, menacing...

I like the way that we get to meet up with all the characters we have grown to love.

The Breeds World is certainly becoming more
Dahlia (yadkny)
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers
Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick
Well, I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the others in the series. I liked the advancement of the overall series plot. I liked Alexandra, and absolutely loved Kade. I didn't buy their romance though. It was very rushed, and it didn't seem natural to me at all. Also, when Alex finds out certain things about Kade, her reactions are really implausible to me.
I did enjoy it. It just wasn't as well written as the rest of the series.
Krista
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked Kades story, I loved getting know him and Brock and Hunter a little more seeing how they were all the newest to the order I didnt know a whole lot about them.
Only reason I gave it 4 stars was because it felt like the first half was really slow and it took me awhile to get into it! Still enjoying the series!
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

• Let the Night Begin (Brotherhood of Blood, #4)
  • Darkness Unleashed (Guardians of Eternity, #5)
  • Desire Unchained (Demonica #2)
  • Damien (Nightwalkers, #4)
  • Taming the Fire (ACRO, #4)
  • Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5)
  • Eternal Captive (Mark of the Vampire, #3)
  • Amaury's Hellion (Scanguards Vampires, #2)
  • Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3)
LARA ADRIAN is a New York Times and #1 internationally best-selling author with nearly 4 million books in print and digital worldwide and translations licensed to more than 20 countries. Her books have been named among Amazon’s Top Ten Romances of the Year, and have also been nominated by readers multiple times as finalists for the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Romance of the Year. Reviewers hav ...more

Midnight Breed (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed,  #1)
  • Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2)
  • Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed, #3)
  • Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, #4)
  • Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5)
  • Ashes of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #6)
  • Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed, #8)
  • Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9)
  • Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed, #10)
  • Edge of Dawn (Midnight Breed, #11)
“cope or go crazy!” 52 likes
“You just wouldn’t be happy until I had to drag my ass up here to this godforsaken icebox that is. Gotta tell you I’m feelin’ some hate here my man. Or I would be if I could actually feel anything other than Arctic cold gnawing at my vitals.” 29 likes