Start by marking “Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs” as Want to Read:
Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,120 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
America's favorite outdoor humorist is back with an outrageously fresh collection of stories. He introduces a variety of friends old and new, and takes readers to many exotic locales outdoors and indoors.
Published October 15th 1988 by Holt Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

Robert
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
McManus's genius (yes, genius) lies in the fact that this is funny whether you're an outdoorsy type or not. You can relate. You've all got a crazy friend like Crazy Eddie, a moron who outsmarts you like Retch Sweeney, a local coot named Rancid Crabtree. You've all had a favorite animal, a wicked relative, a boring school day. You've all felt out of place among a fishing guide, animal handler, a guy who tells hunting stories and felt like an amateur. There's always a junk car that's better than w ...more
Ariel The Dreamer ~ DONT.CALL.ME.HUMAN! ~
This was over all pretty good! I loved all the funny stories, but! I have a few complaints... it was kind of boring at times and sometimes I was happy I was finally done with a chapter.

:) That is all, for now or forever!
Tim
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey! Found another collection of Mr. McMannus’s short stories! Derived from his childhood in rural Idaho, these are largely columns from “Outdoor Life” and other such magazines thinly disguised as reminiscences. Of course, the usual cast of characters (Retch Sweeny, Crazy Eddie Muldoon, Rancid “Crabtree, and of course Bun the patient-for-only-so long wife) are here. As for the themes, well, I recall my own long-suffering wife Barbara, after watching the movie “Green Street Hooligans” along with ...more
Jay
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoy the work of Patrick McManus, especially the short stories about the people of his youth. In my time I have known some like Rancid Crabtree, Retch Sweeny, and Crazy Eddie Muldoon, and I’ve been involved in some crazy episodes, but the ones McManus writes about are so over-the-top they are hilarious. His more modern stories --- bah. Give me the farcical memories of the schemes that bored guys come up with to have some fun. My favorite is “The Mountain Car”, which sounds similar to a ...more
Cheryl
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Read aloud with my 14 yo son over a period of many weeks. Both of us laughed out loud, even though we are not hunters or even avid campers.
Laird
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
For the first time in my life I had an asthma attack while reading one of the chapters in this book I was laughing so hard. I was up in bed reading. My wife was downstairs and thought something was amiss. This book tells of growing up in rural Idaho and all the crazy stupid things boys do. He is the finest humorist I have ever read and that includes Dave Barry. If you think your life needs a few more laughs, and lets face it we all do, then read this book. A very gifted writer.
Denise Spicer
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In these 27 amusing short stories, the author reminisces about his childhood in Idaho and relates tall tales from his hunting and fishing experiences. The humor ranges from wry chuckles to roll on the floor laughter. This book is definitely worth the quick read. The characters are not only funny but eccentric – true examples of classic Americana.
Audrey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
This is a collection of essays about boyhood, camping, fishing, pranks, and hunting. If you like those things, you are golden. You will have a grand time with this book. If you aren't fond of those things, you will still chuckle at the dirty, grimy, gooey insanity of boys.
Donna Dieckmann
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Talk about laughing out loud!
Funny!
This is the story to read around a campfire.
Scquest
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. If you enjoy the outdoors and humor, McManus will not disappoint.
Josh
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, as always.
Gregory
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the first McManus book I read.
This book was loaned to me by my father in-law who has long enjoyed McManus' short stories.
If you don't know anything about McManus or have never rwad his works, he writes humorous short stories about Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Gun Trading, and just about anything else that can be done out-doors.
Many of the stories were inspired by experiences from his child hood growing up in the Idaho pad-handle.
Currently McManus resides in Spokane Washington and is a sta
Dan
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Patrick McManus has a great sense of humor and wonderful voice in his stories. I found myself regularly laughing out loud while reading and was able to relate with many of the experiences from my own childhood or various scouting activities. The only drawback is the abrupt ending to many of the stories. Some feel like they are moving along well only to have a sudden and often awkward ending. Overall an entertaining read.
Denise
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
You may have to be of a certain age to laugh at these essays on fishing, hunting and generally growing up in the country. Ken and I listened to the audio book on a road trip and the reader was excellent - just the right amount of sarcasm and humor. There were some laugh out loud moments. I liked the subtle humor in the author's writing.
Judy
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Twenty-seven short, humorous essays on life in and around the outdoors. These essays poke fun at fishermen, hunters, campers, and the rest of who often wander into the great outdoors and think "I can climb that mountain" or "hike that trail" without giving a thought about the fact that we are out of shape and without the proper equipment. McManus is a very funny writer.
Eva
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
They say laughter is good for the soul. If you need a good laugh (one where you get started and end up rolling on the floor clutching your sides), then you have to read Patrick McManus. In Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs is one of my favorite stories, "The Mountain Car."
Art Braendel
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A funny collection of short stories dealing with the many adventures of boys growing up in a rural setting. This book is sure to bring a smile, sometimes a snicker, and even a guffaw as you peruse the pages.
Brenda Cranson
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
McManus is so funny! The first time I read one of his stories out loud, I laughed until I cried and then until I couldn't breathe enough to even cry. I am in no way outdoors-y, but his writing transcends all that. He is just funny.
Eric Outen
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
McManus' writing style has always been a bit sophomoric, but his stories are always hilarious. In this collection I really love the story, "Summer Reading," which dictates the rules in choosing a proper summer novel to read.
Jim Corn
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of his best books in my opinion but maybe that is because I have read it a dozen times. This man is funny with great stories of his childhood hunting fishing and the great outdoors. I have a second copy in hardback if anyone is interested in a trade or borrow.
Renee
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Perfectly hilarious.
Kate
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-unowned, memoir
As hilarious as the rest. Could he be funnier?
Kaci
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Borrowed it from a co-worker. I giggled through just about all of it. I'm heading to half price to buy my own copy and to get some more of his collections.
Jo Anne
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Warning: do not read anything written by Patrick McManus around other people unless you want odd looks because you will be howling with laughter.
Don
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Classic
Annika
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
sooo funny!!!!
Jana
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Growing up with Dad hunting and fishing---this book made me laugh pretty hard.
Mechel
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Patrick embellishes on the truth, OK, he totally makes some things up, but anyone who has a son will see some truth to what he writes about.
Traci
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
very funny short stories
Tina
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
My husband and 10 year old son love these books.
  • If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat?: Misadventures in Hunting, Fishing, and the Wilds of Suburbia
  • Dave Barry Turns Forty
  • Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit
  • The Portable Curmudgeon
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • The Snake Has All the Lines
  • Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
  • Another Lousy Day in Paradise
  • Once More* *with footnotes
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragonés
  • Photoshop Masking & Compositing
  • E. Godz
  • The Adobe Photoshop Cs3 Book for Digital Photographers
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series: