Start by marking “Neverwhere” as Want to Read:
Neverwhere

Neverwhere

(London Below, The World of Neverwhere #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  352,072 Ratings  ·  18,615 Reviews
Under the streets of London there's a place most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, knights in armour and pale girls in black velvet. This is the city of the people who have fallen between the cracks.

Richard Mayhew, a young businessman, is going to find out more than enough about this other London. A single act of kindnes
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow (first published September 16th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Neverwhere, please sign up.

Steve
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I should have. I kept distracting myself with the thought, "Why the hell haven't I read more of Neil Gaiman's books?" Then I would have to tell myself to shut up, because I'm reading one right now, and I can return to berating myself later.

Neil Gaiman really understands fantasy. He understands that it isn't elves dancing in a forest and drunk dwarves mining for gold with improbably well maintained beards. No, fantasy is a reflection of reality, but fantastic.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I won this in a Goodreads/Firstreads Giveaway! Yay!

Look at these pictures! Sorry for the darkness. We were in the sunlight but it canceled us out.

Anyhoo! I am in love with the looks of this little book! It doesn't have a dust jacket! It's one of my fav hardbacks! I love them without the dust jackets. I have added a picture of the front and back. I have also added a picture of just one of the many illustrations through-out the book and the inside book flap that isn't really a flap but they made
Rick Riordan
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so people have been telling me to read Neil Gaiman for ages. They assume I've read American Gods because the premise is similar to the Percy Jackson series. Well, I still haven't read American Gods, but I did pick up Neverwhere in the Heathrow airport and read it on the way back home. I enjoyed it a lot. Great fantasy, wonderful sense of humor. I can understand why Gaiman is so popular. I'll have to look up his other books.
Nataliya
Neverwhere was my first real introduction to the world of urban fantasy - a clever take on Alice in Wonderland, one can say, set in the semi-magical, unsubtly dangerous, and quite fantastically warped world of 'London Below'.
"Young man," he said, "understand this: there are two Londons. There's London Above - that's where you lived - and then there's London Below - the Underside - inhabited by the people who fell through the cracks in the world. Now you're one of them. Good night."

Neverwhere is
Kat Kennedy
I first started reading this book and honestly wanted to just chuck it in the bin. I said very mean things about the protagonist under my breath.

Surely, I said, a Protagonist means that they are pro and totally into furthering the story. Surely, Protagonist is the similar to Proactive and Productive.

I was wrong. The word Protagonist, in its basic form is not similar to proactive. It simply, from the Greek plays, means the principle character or the first speaking character.

However, I maintain th
R.K. Gold
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow that was fantastic!

I listened to the audiobook because my brother recommended it to me. Neil narrates it himself, which I thought was really cool.

When I think of Urban fantasies this is now the first book that will pop into my head. Neil built this incredible world below London, that weaved in and out of our reality seamlessly. I think he benefited from calling on existing infrastructures like the London Underground to give a sort of map, but he worked it into the story beautifully. There we
Petrik
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars

Whether you’ve read his book or not, there is a high chance that you have heard of the name Neil Gaiman if you’re a reader and most people probably loved his works. Let’s just say I finally knew why. I knew about him since 2009 from watching the movie Coraline which I loved and turns out it was based on a book written by him and that movie shocked the crap out of me cause it so imaginative and scary at times, I thought it would be a family movie. Fast forward 8 years later and here I
Miranda Reads
Richard Mayhew had a perfectly ordinary life, thank you very much.

He had a job that he didn't quite hate, a fairly decent apartment and a lovely fiancee (despite what his friends thought). One night, he and his fiance stumble upon a broken, bleeding girl. The strangest thing? His fiance couldn't quite see the girl - or more like once she noticed the bleeding girl, his fiance would just as quickly un-notice her.

Shrugging that off, Richard takes the girl back to his apartment (at her insistence) a
Lyn
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neverwhere!

Upon beginning a review of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman my first thoughts were to write that even a bad Gaiman novel was better than most other authors best work.

But this is unfair, Neverwhere is not a “bad” novel at all.

Compared to Stardust or Anansi Boys, or especially the masterpiece American Gods, it lacks the epic presence and may even be categorized as one of Gaiman’s lesser works.

What is present, though, is Gaiman’s phenomenal writing, his brilliant and original imagination and
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review: After a multilevel process of reading, commenting and then rereading (see my various updates below), here is the final summation of all my thoughts and feelings about Neverwhere: 4 stars! And read the illustrated version!
description
Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Neverwhere is a novel that improved dramatically for me on reread, which actually was a surprise to me. I originally read it about six years ago when, in an odd twist worthy of London Below, it mysteriously appeared one day
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: Wherein the hero (twice) and villain share the same desire: (view spoiler)
Kevin Ansbro
“There are two Londons. There’s London above – and then there’s London below.”

This book was recommended to me by genial Goodreads friend, Matthew Quann, whose effusive review sealed the deal.
I was initially reticent…
Having read Gaiman’s The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I felt that his writing was a bit ‘young’ for my own personal taste and decided that, though delightful, his books weren’t for this beyond-middle-aged sourpuss.
Despite my misgivings, I dived in and was immediately beguiled – th
Fabian
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mean guy inside of me is completely against my giving this book a four-out-of-five instead of a three star rating, but the good guy/casual reader wins out! Hey. C'mon, give me a break. This is Neil Gaiman: He's not one of Stephen King's favorites for nothing!

Incredibly short, seemingly dippy sentences make up this whimsical phantasmagoria-- more Hollywood script/ graphic novel than novel outright. Gaiman mixes and mashes myths & monsters all for this tight, devious yarn. It must be said
❄️Nani❄️
My first Gaiman and I’m enchanted by the quirkiness of this book😍
James
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
Shelves: fantasy
Picture Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Really good books right? Now imagine if someone took the first book and mad libbed characters, settings, monsters, etc, so that you were left with the exact same story except instead of travelling the galaxy with your crazy friend and the most powerful man in the universe, you were travelling in haunted British sewers with a nerd's wet dream of a Xena warrior princess rival and a Gothic princess who can unlock doors (sigh). I don't think there is much o ...more
Scarlet
Dear Book,

Why did you get over so soon?? Why did you get over at all?? :(

I could have spent many more hours exploring those underground tunnels in the company of those wonderful people, and reveling in the amazing things that some of them - especially marquis de Carabas - had to say.

I could have spent many more days reading and re-reading those delightfully formed sentences, laughing at the intelligent absurdity of it even when not-so-scary villains were doing not-so-pretty things.

I could have s
Carmen
Richard had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly, but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once.

This is a very well-written and predictable book by Neil Gaiman.

Richard is an office drone.

Of course he is.

And he's dating a go-getting, beautiful woman who doesn't love him for what he is, but sees "potential" and dreams about the man she can turn him into. You know the type. Scarlett Johansson from DON JON.

And he's miserable, but pretends he's happy becaus
P
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Beware of Doors.”

Neverwhere reminded me of Alice in Wonderland with a darker setting. The lead character is an adult confronting a world that he's never known before. The concept of Neverwhere is easily understandable even though the narrative is multi-layered and complicated. Why not ? This is exactly an urban fantasy novel without young adult materials, but Gaiman managed to throw some little things that we're so accustomed to, such as London, the lousy villains, the wise hero and MAGIC.

Th
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“The Marquis sighed. "I thought it was just a legend," he said. "Like the alligators in the sewers of New York City."
Old Bailey nodded, sagely: "What, the big white buggers? They're down there. I had a friend lost a head to one of them." A moment of silence. "It was OK," gurned Old Bailey with a grin that was most terrible to behold. "He had another.”

This book feels like pure magic. And wow, looks like I'm getting the Gaiman hype.

Neverwhere follows the story of Richard Mayberry, a pile of anx
Madeline
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
God damn it, Goodreads, when are you going to let me use half-star ratings? You had enough time to make those hideous green "want to read" tabs next to every damn book in my newsfeed; could you please throw me a bone and stop confining me to full stars? I demand half stars, Goodreads. Particularly for this review, because three stars seems unfairly low, and four stars is a bit much.

Neverwhere is early Gaiman (published in 1996), and it shows. You can see him working on the formula that would ma
James
3 of 5 stars to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, a fantasy full of quirky characters and commentary on society, published in 1996. This was another book group selection (not mine), but by someone who has very good taste in books.

I'd never read Gaiman before, but he seems to be immensely popular. We read it in 2009, many years after it first hit print, but still at the cusp of my interest in fantasy books. I think it was too much of a fantasy for me, as I tend to need some rules or boundaries, and I cou
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“There are four simple ways for the observant to tell Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar apart: first, Mr. Vandemar is two and a half heads taller than Mr. Croup; second, Mr. Croup has eyes of a faded china blue, while Mr. Vandemar’s eyes are brown; third, while Mr. Vandemar fashioned the rings he wears on his right hand out of the skulls of four ravens, Mr. Croup has no obvious jewelery; fourth, Mr. Croup likes words, while Mr. Vandemar is always hungry. Also, they look nothing at all alike.”

Mr. Croup
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I've not read as much of Neil Gaiman's work as I would have liked to by this point in my life, and so I thought I would fix that with one of his stand alone novels.

Neverwhere follows the story of Richard Mayhew, who after a show of good Samaritanism finds himself accidentally in the world of London Below. It's just like London Above (a.k.a. our world), except for everyone and everything in London Below is probably trying to kill you. It's also very dark.

There is honestly
Matthew Quann
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthew by: Lisa Bacque
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
What a wonderfully whimsical and well-written novel.

One of my projects for 2017 was to get through a stack of Neil Gaiman books, of which Neverwhere is my fourth and favourite. My first ever exposure to Gaiman was during my high school years as I established a bedroom basecamp to read the beautiful, hefty, and leather-bound Sandman absolute collections. I can remember the feeling of being captured by Morpheus and his family and never quite knowing what type of story Gaiman had in store. To this
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Neverwhere is one of those books that answers the 'what if' question about the city in which you live your days, going through your admittedly 'mundane' routines. In this case, London. What if there was a London Below, a strange world which consists of Underground railways, tunnels, sewers, and sometimes uncannily parallels the London that the average inhabitant thought they knew but didn't, and in a way that seems a lot more interesting? It's a scary place, not terribly clean and sanitary. But ...more
Maria Bikaki
"Τίποτα δε θέλω. Αλήθεια. Απολύτως τιποτα". Και ξαφνικά συνειδητοποίησε πόσο αλήθεια ήταν αυτό. Και πόσο φρικτό. "Έτυχε ποτέ να αποκτήσεις όλα όσα ήθελες; Και να καταλαβεις μετά ότι δεν ήταν αυτά που ήθελες;"
Νομίζω δε θα μπορούσα να διαβάσω σε καλύτερο timing το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο. Ο κεντρικός ήρωας με τα λόγια που σας παρέθεσα λίγο πιο πάνω, συνοψίζει σε γενικές γραμμές ένα από τα πολλά ερωτήματα και προβληματισμούς που βασανίζουν το τελευταίο διάστημα το μυαλό μου και προσπαθώ να βρω την απ
Nick
Oct 25, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Neil Gaiman's books are so beautiful inside and out.
Traveller

*7/10 spangly shooting stars

A contemporary urban fantasy novel in typical slightly off-beat Gaiman style. It's mainly a portal fantasy (the kind where you go from the "everyday" world to a "special" world through some kind of portal, as with Alice in Wonderland, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe / The Magician's Nephew, Harry Potter Boxset, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The Fionavar Tapestry, etc.). The 'alternate world' (the world where Londoners who "fall through the cracks" go), has the sett
Markus
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
”There are two Londons. There's London Above―that's where you lived―and then there's London Below―the Underside―inhabited by the people who fell through the cracks in the world. Now you're one of them.”

What if there is a secret underworld hidden in the dark below the busy, noisy streets of London? What if Earl’s Court is truly the court of an earl and the name of Angel station derives from a real angel? On a fortuitous night Richard Mayhew finds a mysterious young girl wounded in an alley, and i
J.L.   Sutton
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere is an immersive experience in a dark and fantastical place called London Below. Our protagonist, Richard Mayhew, steps out of his daily life by helping a girl who is bleeding on the sidewalk. With this action, his old life in London Above (the world we know) ends. This old life exists side by side (or above) his new one; however, former colleagues and friends in this world no longer see/recognize him. The descriptions of London Below and some of the characters are amazin ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Alternate Cover 3 12 Aug 14, 2018 10:00PM
Around the Year i...: Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman 6 63 Jul 27, 2018 08:16AM
2018 Beyond the C...: Neverwhere Review 1 2 Jun 07, 2018 10:11AM
  • Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #5)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Looking for Jake
  • Men at Arms (Discworld, #15; City Watch #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1)
  • In the Cities of Coin and Spice (The Orphan's Tales, #2)
  • Der Schrecksenmeister (Zamonien, #5)
  • The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
  • War for the Oaks
  • The Land of Laughs
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves

London Below, The World of Neverwhere (2 books)
  • The Seven Sisters (London Below, #2)
“You've a good heart. Sometimes that's enough to see you safe wherever you go. But mostly, it's not.” 1242 likes
“He had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly, but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once.” 1124 likes