Start by marking “The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning” as Want to Read:
The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

The Bogleheads are back-with retirement planning advice for those who need it! Whatever your current financial situation, you must continue to strive for a viable retirement plan by finding the most effective ways to save, the best accounts to save in, and the right amount to save, as well as understanding how to insure against setbacks and handle the uncertainties of a sh ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published September 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

Start your review of The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning
Noah Sanchez
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a GREAT book for those about to retire (or in retirement), not for those planning 10 or more years earlier. It's designed in everyday language and doesn't resort to generalities, for the most part. Centered around a sound investment philosophy put forth by John Bogle, the Bogleheads apply strategy to this philosophy in the investment realm.

Another great aspect is the book is set up in easy-to-reference sections to be referred to from time to time, making a great reference book.

The reaso
Barry
Sep 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love the Bogleheads. There is a wealth of trustworthy retirement advice in this book, but it may function more as a reference for those already persuaded by the Bogle philosophy of investing. If these ideas are new to you, then first check out The Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing. ...more
Michael
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Though I don't intend to retire in the foreseeable future, it's never too early to think about it and to plan ahead. This book is a soup-to-nuts guide to just about every issue dealing with retirement, including side issues such as planning for long-term care, how divorce affects retirement planning, and estate management.

The book is a group collaboration of the Bogleheads (www.bogleheads.org), a group of investors who follow the investment philosophy of John Bogle. Bogle is the inventor of the
Erin
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been searching for a book that provides something more than, "Create an emergency fund, put money away for retirement, profit." The Bogleheads offer up exactly what I've been missing. This is the intermediate step between the plethora of basic personal finance books and the day-trader, professional investor books that seem to dominate the personal finance landscape. I will be buying my own copy of this one. ...more
Mike
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for everyone that wants to retire :-)

The Bogleheads touch on every aspect of retirement and how to handle it from starting early to taxes after death. Social Security, retirement vehicles, and taxes can get really complicated based upon when you start receiving them, how much money you make and when you made it. There are few people that I would trust more than Bogleheads as this is a nonprofit book and some of the top minds in finance.
heidi
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm amazed at the sheer amount of information contained in this book. Unfortunately, more than half of it is irrelevant to me, and it's really not the fault of the authors.

Retirement / financial planning involves different investment vehicles and pension plans and funds, most of which are country specific. This book, having been written by American Bogleheads, would have been highly useful for a US citizen.
Jeff
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
More of a focus on later stage retirement with lots of good info for those in that age range.
Lady Brainsample
Excellent, excellent, excellent. This book had all sorts of nuts and bolts information about a variety of topics related to retirement planning. The information was sometimes dated (especially be wary of tax changes since then), but it has value for everyone. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on how to create and actually write up your financial plan, and the husband and I will be doing so. Highly, highly recommend.
Sue
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a basic guide to retirement planning, look no further. Even though this is more than a decade old, the principles are the same. The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning will give you pointers on every aspect of planning, regardless of your age. For items that constantly change, such as tax law, this book will give you a starting point and help you formulate questions to ask.

Every person should have a guide such as this.
David Ahlers
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of John Bogle, this is an excellent book for retirement planning. Although it is written by a number of different people, it’s a fairly thorough review of key retirement planning processes. I really needed no other resource other than occasionally googling specific tax laws to complete my transition from employed to retired.
Kaye
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, thorough guide to financial planning in retirement

It may not be sexy our get you rich quick but the advice is at once practical and detailed. I only wish I'd read it about ten years ago!
Donna Robbins
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good primer, although changes in the law since publication in 2010 mean parts are outdated, most notably the section on social security. Still, lots of good information, presented in an accessible way.
Laura Davis
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Had to return to the library, only finished about 3/4 of it. Some of it was useful, a little repetitive since a different person wrote each section. Some of it’s out of date. Will need to re-check it out to finish the last bits, and update the rating.
Karen
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I dinged this book one star just because it was written in 2009 and a lot has changed in the past decade. That said, I learned a number of things about how to address various retirement situations.
Recommended if you need more info on retirement financial planning.
Jessica
Jul 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
Starts off with the planning process. Then it goes over the different savings and investment vehicles, investment strategies, how to make the most of social security, withdrawal strategies once you are retired, insurance, estate planning, how to find help if you need it, etc.
Peter
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, financial
Retirement research continues. This is a no nonsense look at investing for retirement. It is a little outdated regarding laws, etc., but the philosophy is still very sound.
Everest Bryce
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
good read for anyone wanting to empower themselves for good retirement planning
Christine Lussier
Good reference guide, keeping in mind that the laws/taxes have changed (& keep changing). Plenty of updated info on the website.
Aaron Earl
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really good book to read for those who are not only approaching retirement, but are interested in early retirement planning as well.
Sydney
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The go-to guide to retirement. This simplifies the complexities of retirement and provides tons of references for further reading.
Becky
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading lots of books about investing and financial planning and money in general. I found this to be one of the best, not just for retirement planning but also for estate planning. ...more
Elizabeth Drake
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: money
It was ok - but it's dated. I found Master the Money Game had more information on the same topics, and more useful. ...more
Keegs
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
IF YOU'RE NOT USING BOGLEHEADS ADVICE TO PLAN FOR YOUR FUTURE TF YOU DOING. THIS IS 100% THE REAL DEAL ...more
Karen
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for a more advanced perspective but that said, this is a great book for someone just starting to invest. The advice is sound, the concepts are clearly outlined, and it's not too verbose. ...more
Haidong
good overview for beginners, that's about it. ...more
Carolyn
Generally solid information, but the edition my library had was 2010, so it was dated.
Patti
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a great comprehensive reference - easy to understand, thorough and accessible. Some reviewers have complained that the recommendations are one-sided in favor of John Bogle's invenstment philosophy and Vanguard Group Mutual Funds. I believe that this should have been a clear expectation, given the title of the book - obviously the writers clearly affiliate themsleves with his thinking on the matter.

The only thing I thought was lacking (and maybe shows the major reason that I was rea
David Gray
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book because as a financial planner I am a big fan of the philosophy behind the "Bogleheads." Named after John Bogle, founder of The Vanguard Group, these people beleive in the power of controlling their own investments and seeking low-cost ways to do so.

The problems I had with the book were two-fold. The first is that since it is written by a team (with each section written by a different person) it felt uneven to me, with some sections more focused and better prese
Cathy
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This books covers a large variety of topics related to retirement planning. I'd say the first half of the book about the different types of savings accounts and retirement plans and how to manage/invest is most relevant to younger readers, with the latter half of the book geared towards older readers near retirement who are faced with a deadline to finalize the details of their retirement withdrawals and estate planning. I didn't pay as much attention to those sections since things could change ...more
Elliot
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
While this book is mostly written for people much closer to retirement than I am, I knew that before starting it and therefore can't count it against the book. I would recommend the Bogleheads Guide to Investing over this book for those that are still 10+ years from retirement, but anyone will learn useful things from this book, as it goes through a ton of topics, from the basic ways to invest well to much more complicated topics like living wills, what accounts to maximize in what order, how to ...more

• The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • The Four Pillars of Investing
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Invested: How Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Taught Me to Master My Mind, My Emotions, and My Money (with a Little Help from My Dad)
  • Die with Zero: Getting All You Can from Your Money and Your Life
  • Figures in a Landscape: People and Places
  • Brave New World Revisited
  • Nemesis
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Investor's Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between
  • Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University
  • Succeeding with AI: How to make AI work for your business
  • Taxes in America: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)
See top shelves…