Start by marking “White Noise” as Want to Read:
White Noise

White Noise

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
First came One Red Dot , next Blue 2 , 600 Black Spots , Yellow Square , and finally White Noise, the fifth installment of David A. Carter's acclaimed color series! Modern and elegant paper engineering and text are certain to awe children of all ages.

Paper-over-board book has 9 spreads of pop-ups. Book is packaged in a resealable polybag with a sell sheet
Novelty Book, 20 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by Little Simon (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about White Noise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Noise

Mylinh
A gorgeous pop up book that I would love to have on my coffee table. The short text, movement of the artwork, and as the sound the various pages make make for a very interactive, and imaginative work. A great example of a "different" kind of book. Could spark a conversation about what is a book and what makes a book. Would also inspire readers to try to make their own pop-up creations.

From School Library Journal
Grade 3 Up—Carter's fifth installment in his innovative, color-themed paper-sculpture
Gail Cooke
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Following his amazing, highly successful paper structure series (One Red Dot, Blue 2, 600 Black Spots, Yellow Square) the ingenious David Carter presents his final volume, WHITE NOISE, a nonpareil pop-up book for everyone from two to 92.

Beginning with "Rainbow bubble blast and crackly white noise," the pages sing as they are opened. In fact, they both spring and sing as the incredible boldly colored structures leap from the page. As the author has noted, "On some pages the sound is subtle, and
Robert Beveridge
David A. Carter, White Noise (Simon and Schuster, 2009)

I love the idea of this. It's a pop-up book where the pop-ups are specifically designed to create noise as you turn the pages. It's a great idea, and you can see the inherent-interest factor among preschoolers. A few minutes of reflection, though, and you can see the drawback in this idea: repeated use is going to kill this book pretty quick. (Side note: this is one you pretty much never want to try and get from the library.) And since the c
paula
It's a masterpiece. Kinetic sculpture, with engineered sounds. I hope to see kids peering into all the crevices, trying to figure out how those sounds are created and how the pieces move. If you haven't finished your holiday shopping, this is a nice choice for a still moment on Christmas morning. Everyone will want to try it.
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book tries to visually represent the idea of "white noise" or background noises. Mostly sudden, dramatic noises, based on the pictures. Some of the pop-up images even create sounds (I'm assuming the ones that are represented by the visuals). No plot, just fun.
Lauren Brown
Sep 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: elementary
"White Noise" is an interactive book with pop-up pictures and textured pages. The text was not interesting and I found myself scanning over the words just to get through it. The pop-up pieces were very cool to look at, but very abstract. I don't think young children would be able to understand.
Susan
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Sheer, simple delight.
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-2014
Pretty cool, I liked 600 Black spots better. Not going to last long in the library. Plus... it's noisy.
Sophia W
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing example f what you can do with paper.
Huda
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: en-pic-books
PoP Up lovers would enjoy this book. I think it's smartly made; however, it's EASILY damaged.
Tomas Howells
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I turned my nose up at this a few years ago when I first got it and didn't read it but now I get it and love it.
Melody
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not really a book in my age group anymore! Although it has beautiful pop-ups. I would recommend it to any small child.
Miri
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
Same as 600 Black Spots .
Marcie
This is one of the pop-ups in David A. Carters number/color series. It is simply astonishing what he can create with just paper and string.
Beth
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, intricate art. Difficult to use without damaging the book.
Hilary
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Expensive (after all, this is a paper-engineered book) but fun. Masterful "pop ups" are noisy, kinetic, and fascinating. Handle gently!
Jamie