Start by marking “The Quotable Lewis” as Want to Read:
The Quotable Lewis

The Quotable Lewis

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  459 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
This book presents more than 1,500 quotes from Lewis's writings, providing ready access to his thoughts on a variety of topics. An exhaustive index references key words and concepts, allowing readers to easily find quotes on any subject of interest. Also included are many photographs of Lewis and his close circle of friends.Quick summary: More than 1,500 quotes from Lewis' ...more
Published February 23rd 1990 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (first published February 9th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Quotable Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quotable Lewis

Keiki Hendrix
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love quotes like women love chocolate. How could I not love this book? C. S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors (though I must admit, when I read him, I must have a dictionary handy) because there is a magic about his way of thinking. Lewis takes a topic and explores it to its uttermost ending. When we read him, we journey with him from beginning to end.I believe he must be a distant relative of St. Paul because Lewis does tend to be a wordy. But in those words is wit and clarity.

Another rea
Eric
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! These are C.S. Lewis quotes on all subjects arranged topically. Not just religious topics but things like "Writing," "J.R.R. Tolkien," and "Humor."

Sometimes my wife and I have a "Theologians Duel." One of us will grab this book and the other will grab the Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book, and we'll "do battle" by picking topics and reading what each theologian had to say on the matter.
Lora
Big fat book with loads of quotes arranged by topic. Not much more to say, except it was fun paging through and reading random quotes out loud to the family.
Krissy
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book got me through the 8th grade.
John Martindale
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I have really enjoyed reading through these excellent quotes from Lewis on a plethora of topics. This has been my go-to book every I sit on the throne; how wonderful to unload, while at the same time downloading Lewis' grand ideas into my mind.
The one thing I've noticed though is that Martindale has done some cherry picking in order whitewash Lewis and make him palatable for evangelical fundamentalist. Two examples would be on the bible and evolution, Lewis has some rich nuanced views on these
Riley
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
On the whole, a really great compilation of quotes. There are just a couple of inclusions that didn't seem as valuable; I don't think a lot of people are really going to be that inspired by his thoughts on 16th century literature. I know it was an area he studied a lot, but that doesn't make it more valuable to the masses who don't. Nevertheless, there were very few pages where I didn't find a quotation worthy of marking. A great reference book, though reading it front to back is slow going.
Abigail Cantrell
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone familiar with Lewis, pastors
Shelves: get-rid-of
Excellent reference. It can also be used as a devotional-- go topically and add whatever scripture he refers to. It's very interesting to read his fiction and non-fiction on the same topic back to back.
Nikki
Jun 22, 2008 marked it as to-read
Sheri L. Dew references quotes from this book several times throughout, "God Wants a Powerful People". I'd like to own a copy of this book; it would be a great resource. I know it includes an in-depth index that makes it easy for the reader to find quotes based on subject, key-words, etc.
Chad
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cs-lewis
Highly useful resource. With alphabetized entries and accompanying citations for each quotation, this book expedites the process of locating where Lewis addresses particular subjects. Perfect for finding Lewisian epigraphs or supporting quotations.
Deyanne
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Accessible compilation of some of Lewis's most quoted thoughts and writings. Great resource. The front of the book reads, "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C.S. Lewis
  • C.S. Lewis Essay Collection & Other Short Pieces
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • The Man Born to Be King: A Play-Cycle on the Life of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
  • An Anthology: 365 Readings
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • America's God and Country Encyclopedia of Quotations