Start by marking “Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here! (87th Precinct, #25)” as Want to Read:
Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here! (87th Precinct, #25)

Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here! (87th Precinct #25)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  917 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
-- In Warner Books mass market editions, McBain's titles have over 277,000 copies in print in the last four years alone.
-- Two of the author's most recent 87th Precinct novels, The Last Dance (Simon & Schuster hardcover, 1/00) and The Big Bad City (Simon & Schuster hardcover, 1/99), were New York Times Notable Books of the Year.
-- The six titles in the Warner Books
Published January 1st 2001 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here!

James Thane
This, the twenty-fifth entry in Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series, is a bit unusual. It basically chronicles a day in the life of the detectives in the precinct, beginning at midnight and running through to the following midnight.

All the familiar characters that McBain has introduced into the squad put in an appearance, each of them investigating a case that is both introduced and wrapped up within the twenty-four-hour cycle. None of the cases is particularly suspenseful, and the sum of them cer
David Highton
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not one plot, but multiple crimes over a 24 hour period, involving the whole Precinct - great police procedural
Rose
Jul 19, 2008 added it
Shelves: 2008, 2010
*Review from 2008, reread 2010*
This suffered a bit from being listened to in chunks spread over time, because there were lots of different crimes and investigations going on, and it was easy to forget quite what was happening. Even under ideal conditions, I don't think it would be my favourite 87th Precinct book, but it's entertaining enough with some funny moments (like the old man trying to get two girls arrested for hooking, and their responses to everything he says).
Shuan Rose
One of the better 87th Precinct books.

All the best of the early 87th. All in one day. Action from the beginning to the end. If you like the 87th, you'll like this.
Skip
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-detective
A fairly weak effort. A series of unconnected cases, being worked on and solved by the 87th Street Precinct bulls. The main case is the shooting of Parker, whom nobody liked much anyway.
L
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another dependable entry in McBain's series. This time we get a glance at a few "ordinary" days in the lives of the detectives of the 87th.
Lauren Albert
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like that this one shows the chaos that can happen on a day in a city. Big crimes and little ones. I am getting very irritated though with McBain's repetition of the cops' back stories. The reader really doesn't need to hear 25 times about the reason for a white streak in a cop's hair. I realize he's trying to keep late comers to the series up-to-date but it gets really silly after a few novels.
Jim
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
McBain takes a different approach in this book by following a full day of activity (night and day shift) at the 87th. There are about 6 - 8 cases that (amazingly!!) all get resolved in the course of the 24 hours the story takes place. As a result there are a lot more detectives in this story - some new faces and some that have not been featured much in previous stories. I really enjoyed this approach and found this fun to read.
Daniel Sevitt
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 87th-precinct
A cracking procedural covering a night shift and a day shift at the 87th Precinct. All the regulars feature here each solving their own puzzle some more criminal than others. Outstanding work deep into the series.
Booknerd Fraser
Well, I can see why he was the King of the police procedural. This *almost* a short story collection, as it consists of a number of short crime stories involving the detectives of the 87th Precinct, broken up into night shift and day shifts. Well-characterized, pithy, zippy, with good action.
Lukasz Pruski
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
"This modest volume is dedicated to the Mystery Writers of America, who, if they do not award it the Edgar for the best ten mystery novels of the year, should have their collective mysterious heads examined."

The above is a playful epigraph to Ed McBain's Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here! (1971), the 25th novel in the 87th Precinct series, and the fourth one in my selective re-read of Evan Hunter's magnum opus. The author immediately makes fun of his plea when he provides the definition of coercio
Cathy
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, police
This book in the 87th precinct series, is divided into two sections: Nightshade and Daywatch. The author takes the reader through the night shift and then the day shift of an average 24 hours in the precinct. All the detectives we have met in previous stories are working one of the shifts and are involved in one or more of the various cases that get reported to the police on that day - a church bombing, a missing husband, "ghosts" stealing jewelry, multiple grocery store thefts, a runaway daught ...more
Chris
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A day in the life of the 87th Precinct's detectives; twenty-four hours with the two working detective shifts. The title is pretty indicative; every major character is here, as well as a number of minor ones, each working on various cases that crop up: a possible murder/possible suicide, a brutal beating, a mugged marine, racial tensions, a murdered girl, a runaway daughter, "ghosts" walking off with valuables, hippies and drug busts.

Unlike most other 87th novels, with one main plot and one or tw
Roy
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think I have read more of McBain than any other writer. Just read this for a second time. Not quite as fond of it this time around. McBain tried something different here by having many many plotlines and all of his detectives make an appearance. Even though I usually prefer his earlier shorter 87th precinct books, this actually would've worked better as one of the later, longer works. There is waaay too much stuffed into such a short book. Too bad he didn't try this again later on. Still, it's ...more
Stephen Snead
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated, but good beach read or if you like police procedural stories.

First published way back but, Ed Mcbain (Evan Hunter) was a master and student of the everyday doings of the police. This is a very fast and light read. Just a day in the life. Cases are solved quickly. Men are men and the women are glad of it. ;-) In the days of phone booths instead of cell phones. Newspapers instead of google. Holds up well. One scene has a detective checking the coin slot to see if his dime came back. I had f
Christian
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another tightly-plotted, fast-paced and genuinely original 87th Precinct novel by McBain. By splitting the book up between the night-shift and the day-shift, we get to see the full breadth of the 87th Precinct and all the characters, both good and bad, that we have come to know over the course of the series. I know DC comics did something similar to this with their comic "Gotham PD" but mark that to another one of the things people can credit to McBain when it comes to procedurals.
Dave Hogg
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The point of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels was that the city and the police force were the heroes, not any particular cop. (This changed from time to time due to his publisher's whims, as recounted in his hilarious forewards to several of the books.)

This book, though, had so much going on that everything blended together. That was the point, in a lot of ways, but it got confusing in parts. Still, the worst 87th Precinct book is going to be a fun read.
Angie crosby
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alex, mystery
Police procedural book that really has no plot other than to glimpse what the 87th presinct is like for a short period of time. I felt the crimes were solved to easy. The lack of plot made it easy to put down, though i was interested enough to continue reading to find out how the different crimes were solved.
Ginny
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-2005, borrowed
With this book McBain starts the tradition of the 87th Precinct novels of having different cases being worked on by different detectives in a single story. Not all cases are resolved in the single novel. This is one of the best 87th precinct books.
RAVIKUMAR.C.P
This is a series of vignettes from a single day at the 87th precinct, so by design there is no plot or mystery here, but the writing up is razor sharp and if you are a fan, you know that plot is not why you love Mcbain. Very satisfying although not among the best
Thalia
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
It's been a while since I've read a book like this one..it reminded me how much I love them. I gave it 3 stars cause the the stories were just narrated without any mystery or suspense!otherwise a very enjoyable reading ...
Helen Azar
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 87th precinct installation is a bit different because it consists of something like a bunch of short stories instead of a self contained book. This makes it somewhat "choppy", yet more realistic. Not the best McBain had to offer, but features all the usual suspects and still very enjoyable
Betsy
Aug 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's Ed McBain multi tasking. I enjoyed
William Van Stone
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McCain excellence.

Typical McBain cops and robbers story. Very quick read and your usual bad guy does it and bad guy gets caught.
charmaine White
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice

This was a trip down memory lane.I read Ed McCarthy Bain when I was a lot younger and enjoyed it.This was going home.
Judith
Sep 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Have no problem reading any of his books. Good mysteries.
LInda L
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
An 87th precinct story, with every detective featured.
Peter Pinkney
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These books are sooooo good, and they're all in this one
Steven Keith
1970 police procedural, more alien than most SF
Mike O'connell
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is my first Ed McBain 87th Precinct mystery but it won't be my last. Very fast and entertaining.
  • Candyland
  • What Bloody Man Is That?
  • The Wild
  • The Detective Wore Silk Drawers (Sergeant Cribb, #2)
  • Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror
  • Code 61
  • The Looney
  • Redgauntlet
  • The Captain
  • A Very Shitake Christmas (Shitake Mystery #1.5)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye (Hard Case Crime #8)
  • Bunny Lake is Missing
  • Oh Canada! Oh Quebec!: Requiem for a Divided Country
  • Beware of the Trains (Gervase Fen, #9)
  • Meet Me at the Morgue
  • The Only Game
  • Doctor Who: Death to the Daleks (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Chasers
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926 – 2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean Hu
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct, #2)
  • The Pusher (87th Precinct, #3)
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct, #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct, #7)
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct, #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct, #10)