Start by marking “The Secret of Shelter Island: Money and What Matters” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Shelter Island: Money and What Matters

The Secret of Shelter Island: Money and What Matters

How to lead a "rich" life during trying economic times

In The Secret of Shelter Island, nationally renowned financial analyst and bestselling author Alexander Green explores the complicated relationship we all have with money and reveals the road map to a rich life.

Drawing on some of today's best minds and many of history's greatest thinkers, The Secret of Shelter Island is
Published June 1st 2009 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Shelter Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Shelter Island

Emily
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite books!! I will undoubtedly read this again and again. I absolutely loved the compilation of essays in this book...I initially started reading it after hearing about the chapter to make a goal to stop complaining for over 20 days (isn't that a great idea?!)...and as I read, was deeply inspired to become better in my life in a variety of ways.

This book is fun to read and each little chapter is full of practical instruction for how to be happy, whether you're rich or not. It
Lauren
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is an easy, inspirational nonfiction read that is full of wisdom on how to live a meaningful life. I highly recommend...my only critique is that it became a bit repetitive at times.
Zjay
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to review because it contains so many good ideas and pithy quotations. It is a collection of sixty-eight short essays, most of which stand on their own. Most can be read in 10-15 minutes. But this is NOT a book you should try to speed read. Each essay should be read slowly, meditated upon, digested. Each is an opportunity to reflect on the direction and nature of the life you are currently living. The secret of Shelter Island, in one sense, is about “paying attention to ...more
Munro
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great personal development book; one that is thought provoking and serves to help one pause to think about life and what truly matters most.

The 6-page bibliography is evidence to the many references and quotes from other books, which added so much of the philosophical flavor and value in the book.

I like this excerpt from the afterword:
"Beyond material comfort, our happiness is highly dependent on principle-centered living. To the extent that we abide by timeless, universal principles,
Cindy
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Alexander Green has taken the "wisdom of the ancients" as he calls it and rendered a book that reads like a memoir, a bible and a self help guide all at once. Each small essay/chapter captivates in spite of it's brevity. Such an easy read that you'll want to slow it down and fully digest every lesson. Truly a gift to be shared among the generations, but not too soon, it will enlighten those that are ready. Buy it, read it, gift it."
Chazzle
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
A collection of about 80 essays dealing with "what really matters". For this kind of book, it's actually quite well written. If the author's own thoughts fail to impress, he quotes the right people, and I found myself really, really enjoying some of the essays. But, for about a third of the book, I was bored. So, I can't give him a fourth star.

Worth a peak, if this is your kind of thing.
Cindy
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Linda
Sep 10, 2009 added it
Just picked up this book ... I was, of course, drawn to the title because I spent every summer of my childhood at my grandmother's house on Shelter Island. It is a book of essays about attitudes toward money. I'll keep you posted ... skimming it looks promising.
Nick Woodall
A very interesting financial planning book. It has nothing to do with numbers, but everything to do with people. Well-written, pithy, and very wise. Talks about subjects like goals, character, friends, spiritual matters, and even where to live. A good, fast read. You will enjoy it.
Melissa
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011, nonfiction
I read the author's newer collection and loved it so much that I also wanted to read this one. I was a little disappointed because he covers a lot of the same things in both books--even some of the same stories to make a point. Still worth reading, although you might be fine with just one of them.
Michelle Wright
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great source of inspiration about the role of money in pursuit of "the good life".Each little chapter is like a nugget of practical instruction for how to be happy, whether you're rich or not.

Alby
Jan 17, 2010 added it
Really enjoyed this title...a great book that I keep going back to read again a chapter.. Deep truths and insights in role of money and values in life.. A must read for those in pursuit of a good life..
Paquita Lamacraft
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Wisdom - yes. Living up to
the hype that interested me enough to order it - no.
Dzung Vuong
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent to read and to apply. I particular like the references and stories the author used in this book.
Mingyi
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I seldom give books such high rating. Really a good read, short articles with seemingly simple but profound life lessons that we can all learn from it every now and then.
Rose
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting and engaging book that emphasizes that money isn't everything, and how to live with your standard of living.
Lisa
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An thought-provoking collection of essays.
Pat
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Having enjoyed Alexander Green's Spiritual Wealth e-newsletter for a while, I decided to read this collection of earlier essays. I found much to savor and re-read in the future.
Sarah Stirton
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this, loved Beyond Wealth even more!
Jane Dugger
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was really enjoyable. Short essays but very thought provoking.
Doug
Fred
Jul 30, 2010
Lucy
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great book full of pearls of wisdom and will make you evaluate what is really important in life.
G