Start by marking “Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks and Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium” as Want to Read:

* Manufacturers see acrylic paint as the most versatile paint with the most growth potential and are putting marketing and product development dollars behind their products to help educate readers on the benefits of this paint—there are currently over 225 different types of acrylic paints

* The first book to address the most popular applications of acrylics and the

Published March 30th 2007 by North Light Books (first published March 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Acrylic Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acrylic Revolution

Start your review of Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks and Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium
Ed Smiley
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK you are an acrylic painter. You want some ideas. You want to try something new. This is the book.
Good reference material. This is not a paint by number book. It gives about 100 techniques.

It may be of more interest to an abstract or more experimental painter, although many of the techniques can be adopted to traditional work.

In the interest of fairness, since I gave it five stars, I did find some minor flaws. I found two spelling errors, although admittedly one of those is "sgraffito". I
Yaaresse
Found this in the library. I wish there was a e-book version, but I found it interesting/useful enough that I will probably go for the hard copy.
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
This book is so inspiring I have bought two more by this author and artist.
Vicky
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for anyone who wants to take their acrylic painting skills to the next level. This is the book for you if you want ideas and instruction on how to use the various acrylic gels, mediums and additives to enhance your acrylic painting skills.
Mark Merris
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really cool ideas and techniques for painting with not only acrylic but collage, stencils and various layering. She introduces fun and interesting ways of using different mattes and gels that can create unique looks or patterns. It opens up many other possibilities beyond straight forward application of paint to canvas, including using and prep of several types of paint surfaces. Not just instructional but a look at creative options.
Janet
Shelves: nonfiction-read
Useful.
Darby
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it
This book I liked but I didn't love. It did teach me some things I never knew how to do or even thought about doing. On some of the techniques it would show what a piece of artwork looked like -- that used the technique, but on many it just showed the end result of just the technique not really incorporating it into a piece of work. It was just a little 2 inch square of crackle, masking or whatever. But not a full piece of artwork using it. So that bothered me. But I did learn things and so I am ...more
Stephanie
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-and-hobby
I picked this book up when my local rubber stamp store was closing and because I was getting it for a steal, didn't really look through it thoroughly. In recent months though, I have looked through it and as I want to start dabbling more with paint in my art projects this book really will help me not only dabble, play but be very inspired to try new techniques, new textures, new looks and really get messy and have lots of fun.
Matthew Gatheringwater
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just what I needed...a simple, practical, no-nonsense guide to a variety of techniques to add texture and effects to acrylic painting. It is like a recipe book, with page-long directions of individual techniques and, like a good recipe book, it is spiral-bound within a hard cover, so it can lie flat. The book also contains a "gallery" of paintings that use techniques featured in the book.
Erginartesia
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nancy is masterful with acrylic and she is a great communicator. I like the scope of this book and the binder style .. as it is a workbook at its core.
She challenges you to try things and puts them into context. Many techniqu books just spew content like a laundry list.
Shanna
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to use some of the techniques demonstrated in this book. Everything is explained well enough to appeal to a beginner. There are plenty of inspiring paintings shown representing each technique.
LemontreeLime
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fantastic recipe book for ideas of tweaking acrylic paint in ways you never thought of trying, mostly because you had no idea it could be done, but now that you do - you know you are going to have fun...
Jo
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for the acrylic artisan. Practical and extensive, hitting multiple mediums and their uses. I particularly liked the format and layout, which was clear, beautifully photographed and accessible.
Palma
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
A very good book with lots of samples and instructions. It's a good introduction to acylics.
One thing that I find irritating is when only certain brands are recommended or used in a book as this limits the audience IMO There are other countries and brands outside of america!
Robin
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
So many techniques, and so many products to try...I started an index and am noting in it techniques from every acrylic book I read.
Alison
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great ideas of different mediums to mix with paint to get interesting effects!
Lauren
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good reference book. Helpful for an art newbie like myself what with the glossary of art terminology and step-by-step instructions and photographs.

Mary
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me CRAZY! So many good good ideas. Usable. Doable. In fact, I'm buying my own copy so I can use and reuse.
Courtney
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
lots of neat ideas, good photos for reference
Judy
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This is a really good book on how to use acrylics today. They are much more versatile, and there many methods of application. I liked that you lay this book flat too.
Marianne Mullen
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great basics for trying new ideas out with acrylic. Didn't find too many new ideas but good foundations for a beginner artist.
Emily F.
Love this book! It's choc full of new painting techniques. It makes a fabulous reference tool.
Mary
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!!! Would give it ten stars if I could. So much great info and demos of all the facinating Acrylic mediums out there, which I loved. Such a great reference book to have.
Alyssa D'anna
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When my painting technique feels tired, this is my go to source for a creative jump start. A wonderful source book for inspiration.
Denise
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I'm new to acrylic and already I've used a few suggestions from this book. I like the layout and extremely appreciative of the pictures.
Sj
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot. I'm not a professional artist so i did learn a lot of techniques from this book.
Ann