Start by marking “Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion” as Want to Read:
Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion

Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  24,138 ratings  ·  1,093 reviews
Do you have a hobby you wish you could indulge in all day? An obsession that keeps you up at night? Now is the perfect time to take that passion and make a living doing what you love. In Crush It! Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion, Gary Vaynerchuk shows you how to use the power of the Internet to turn your real interests into real businesses. Gary spent years ...more
Published October 14th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2009)

Alice
May 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
I will now save you $10.99:

1) Figure out what your passion is. Examples from the book: wine, baseball cards, worms, gardening, accounting, candy, soccer, marketing, business development, tech. (My current passions are Diet Coke, Fringe, and napping, none of which I think I can monetize.)

2) Come up with a catchy name and register it on every social media site.

3) Write a bunch of tweets/blog posts or make video blogs. Work your ass off (he suggests not spending any time with your family-- although
WhatIReallyRead
Don't let the title mislead you. I know how it sounds, but it's not that kind of book.

I'm no stranger to Gary Vee. My partner is Gary Vee's die-hard fan, so he made me watch some of the countless youtube videos. I decided to pick up the book to understand the appeal.

THE POINT.

The author does have one. It can be pretty much summed up as follows:

1) Work hard. Work a lot. Work 16 hours a day every day, until your veins pop and your heart stops.
2) Enjoy it.
3) Be patient & adaptable - and the re
Jeff
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I heard many good things about Gary Vaynerchuk and when I did finally get my hands on Crush It I was looking forward to learning more about how Gary built his empire.

Gary has put together a book with advice that sounds great from a stage but is hardly something you would want to put into action.

Including, “What kind of business did you plan on starting, a mediocre one or one that’s kick-ass? You know the answer.”

Or, “It’s never a bad time to start a business unless you are starting a mediocre
Kelly Newton
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I avoided this book for a long time because I expected it to be about money money money. To my surprise though, it wasn't about that as much as I expected.
I'm working toward making a brand for myself, but my motivation is not money. And, Gary makes a HUGE deal on following your passion and living your passion and sharing your passion (and of course, cashing in on your passion) but never wasting your life on something that isn't your passion in order to make money.
This book gave clear and pract
Chad Warner
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Leo Laporte
Gary Vaynerchuck is widely considered a web celebrity and social media expert. He used social media and online video (WineLibrary TV) to gain incredible exposure and propel his wine business to unprecedented success. Gary's secret isn't social media, however; it's his passion. Social media is just the tool he uses to share his passion and connect with others. As he states in chapter 9, the best marketing strategy ever is simple: care.

The main premise is that life is too short to do work that you
Amir Tesla
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Do you want to make money out of you passion? Even passions like playing games, loving chocolate or cultivating veggies? Well, here's the recipe.
Irisroig
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
(2.5)
Klinta
Apr 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is out of date. I don't need convincing that internet and social media is the future, because I live in the future. And that is pretty much all the book is about. It just rattles on about the internet being awesome, you needing to register everywhere, working hard and seeing the results. And then someone notices you and before you know it, you are rich. (See, you don't need to read the book anymore!)

Some ideas might have been good (and to be honest, I don’t really know how fresh they w
Anita Campbell
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I know this book has been wildly popular, and Gary V has many fans. I happen not to be a huge fan of his style, either in his videos or this book. I think his excited, sometimes over-the-top style that focuses on HIM, has to appeal to you. It's not my style.

This book is very much about Gary and HIS successes -- not necessarily the kind of information that others can easily apply to their situations. The reality is, most of Gary's successes won't be replicable by the typical entrepreneur or small
Davy
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the business books I would say falls under the umbrella of the books I've read a few years too late, in this case, I think I could have skipped this book. The most interesting parts were about how Gary Vee got started and what made him who he is, which is why I wanted to read this in the first place. The more tactical parts of this book, by nature of being published 8 years ago, has changed and were no longer really useful.

Still, I would recommend this for anyone looking to star
Wayne Marinovich
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book. Some won’t like Gary’s direct approach to things but they will still get value for money. It’s a changed world out there and if you are not changing and moving forward, you will be left behind.

The world won’t come to you, you are not that big a deal. You have to chase the world you want. Crush it will help you.
Natalia
Jan 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Natalia by: I'm planning to read a couple of career-motivation books this ye
Shelves: ebook
I was on page 26 of 100 non-appendix before the author started actually started giving the advice the book was about. The prior 25 pages (a full quarter of the book!) was a sales pitch for how the book would change your life. What the heck do I need a sales pitch for when I am already holding the book in my hands?

Vaynerchuck is going for some weird work-as-leisure premise, where if you are "living your passion" you don't need to look forward to vacations, or hobbies or anything, because you will
Dane Cobain
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book would have earned a 5/5 if I’d read it a year ago, before I’d followed the advice that it preaches off my own back. That’s because it’s all about giving you both the inspiration and the advice that you need to make a career out of something you love, and I’m now doing exactly that. I’m making more money while I’m at it, too.

I think this is Vaynerchuk’s first book, but it’s still up there with his new releases. That’s because he doesn’t talk about specific platforms, focusing instead on
Q.T. Pi
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm trying to turn my hobby/passion into a full time job so this work really hit home for me. At times it felt like it was more motivational/self help focusing more on putting yourself in the right mindset but there was some actionable advice like staying on top of/ahead of changes in your industry, focusing on building your brand after you decide to pursue your passion and finding the right community.
Manpreet Kaur
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this in one sitting. Practical, to the point advice... written in a mesmerising manner... you won't be able to put it down. You will feel the urge to work on your passion once you're done with it. A must-read.
Alex
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This 3 stars are for the audiobook. If you are going to get this, get the audio book. It has updated info (even though now some of it is again outdated) and he often goes off-script, which I wish more audio books would do. It is read by the author. Some may not like his hyper-ness, but I think it helps convey his enthusiasm.

So the idea of the book is to show how the use of social marketing can greatly benefit your business, and how it and the Internet can act as "great equalizers" of sorts. It k
Carrie
Jul 30, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm generally not interested in the slightest in the business, make money now! genre of books. But my love for journalism, news, and information has definitely generated a strong interest in entrepreneurship. Given that this little book will only take you about an hour to read, I found it pretty worthwhile as a very simple, straightforward guide on how to leverage the Web and social media to build a sustainable business that allows you to do what you love. There's nothing "new" here, but yet it' ...more
Dvir Oren
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good stuff, lots of practical advice.

I specifically liked being authentic, and mingling with your community online answering questions and building a reputation. And not neglecting social media of course!
Kajal Dhamija
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One needs some kind of motivation to keep going. It is true that passionate people do have passion. But it is also true that this passion doesn't always makes you keep working towards your goal. At least that's the case with me. I need to keep myself constantly updated through a some external stimuli. And what better stimuli can be than a book?

This book does the job of making you work towards your passion tirelessly. Why do we get tired when we work for long? Because we don't love doing that. An
Melissa Jill
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Occasionally I talk to photographers who have been in business since before the digital revolution and the growth of the internet. They all sound the same. They grieve the changes that have caused business to slow - or in some cases - come to a grinding halt. They grieve the fact that clients are hiring newer, less-experienced photographers than them. And they're largely oblivious to how powerful the internet is and how drastically it has changed the game. They want to keep doing the same things ...more
Marian
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book made me VERY happy. Gary has a no-nonsense attitude that I love. His "stop whining and just do it" approach is a breath of fresh air. That attitudes is not for everyone though. However, he gives some great tips regarding social media and personal branding. I consider myself pretty well informed, but he gave suggestions I'd never thought of and some excellent short cuts.

This is not a "do what you love and everything will fall into place" kind of book. He doesn't b.s. and doesn't hide th
Abbe
Sep 20, 2012 added it
Shelves: in-library
SUMMARY: Do you have a hobby you wish you could do all day? An obsession that keeps you up at night? Now is the perfect time to take those passions and make a living doing what you love. In CRUSH IT! Why NOW Is The Time To Cash In On Your Passion, Gary Vaynerchuk shows you how to use the power of the Internet to turn your real interests into real businesses. Gary spent years building his family business from a local wine shop into a national industry leader. Then one day he turned on a video cam ...more
Jed Langdon
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Passion, hard work and hustle

These are some of the lessons that are packed into this book.

In “Crush It!” Gary Vaynerchuk reveals that we can all cash in and make a living by building a business around our greatest passion or hobby. He enthusiastically explains that the rising power of the Internet has enabled anyone to build a highly profitable business if they are truly passionate about it. For those with enough hustle and determination, there is also the opportunity to go beyond making a livi
Lee G
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seems like this was the perfect book to read right now. I'm a late bloomer in learning about internet promotion and branding and this book was a GREAT start. Short, to the point, giving you a step by step plan to build a social media presence. Planning to read more of his stuff and putting it into action. It's a long haul kind of hustle that this book prescribes. One of the things Gary said that makes a lot of sense is that posting content is just the beginning-the majority of time should be spe ...more
Toni Conn
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gary's no-nonsense approach about how to use your passion to start your own business is gold! Although it's from 2009, he says in the last chapter to go with your gut and not take him word for word. I appreciate that. I highly recommend it if you're looking for tools on how to hustle with your passion or your business!
Leora Wenger
Nov 05, 2010 added it
Shelves: business
When you are working on/in/at a small business, there are no shortcuts. You can take some of Gary's ideas and apply them to your business, but to succeed, you have to do it your way, because we are all unique. Network, blog(use social media), have a good business idea, listen to others and refine your skills are all important to small business success.
Satish
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Firstly, I like Gary, he is very passionate and I watch his show regularly. Having said that, I think this book is outdated, maybe it's because I'm reading it in 2017. Most of the things he said seemed obvious, atleast for me.
Dan Graham
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
If you enjoy watching infomercials and you also feel like social media is for you then maybe you should read this whirlwind - otherwise I'd probably pass.
Cullen Haynes
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Give Value. Give Value. Give Value. And only then, ask for business” - Gary Vaynerchuk

In his book, serial entrepreneur and author Gary V. immerses you in his evangelical journey of using the power of the internet to turn your real passion into real businesses.

From his humble beginnings building his family’s wine business into an industry leader, Gary decided by chance, to turn on a video camera and change the course of his life forever by building his personal brand.

The book is written not just
Sebastian Hetman
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid book about building a social media platform overall. Many great, actionable tips. I am not sure if it answers my question about how to build a resonable platform without whoring on social media 24/7, but that wasn't a part of the premise after all.

Where the author strays is making bold prophecies like the one that regular resumes are or will shortly be dead. Plenty of professionals dont need to depend on self propelled social media branding to be hired. Author claims that Companies would
Does it hold up? 2 19 Nov 18, 2014 08:52PM
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Unleashing the Ideavirus: Stop Marketing AT People! Turn Your Ideas into Epidemics by Helping Your Customers Do the Marketing thing for You.
  • Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Anything You Want
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • The Intelligent Entrepreneur: How Three Harvard Business School Graduates Learned the 10 Rules of Successful Entrepreneurship
Gary Vaynerchuk is the ultimate businessman. Born with an entrepreneurial spirit, Gary is a proven investor and advisor in the world of startups, and now an expert on the Fortune 500 world, through is work as CEO of Vaynermedia, a social media marketing agency. Having two bestsellers under his belt doesn't hurt either.

Thirty-three years ago, Gary got his start in business by ripping flowers out of
“Love your family, work super hard, live your passion.” 26 likes
“It (Twitter) closes the six degrees of separation to one degree of separation” 10 likes