Start by marking “George Washington and the General's Dog” as Want to Read:
George Washington and the General's Dog

George Washington and the General's Dog (Step into Reading, Step 3)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Boom! Bang! Guns fire! Cannons roar! George Washington is fighting in the American Revolution. He
sees a dog lost on the battlefield. Whose dog is it? How will it find its master? Early readers will be surprised to find out what happens in this little-known true story about America’s first president.
Published December 24th 2002 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published December 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington and the General's Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington and the General's Dog

Krista Mcdowell
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is about George Washington and how he loved animals. He even took his dogs into was with him. But after some of the smoke subsided after some fighting, he noticed a dog with an owner. He found out the dog belonged to the enemy. Through the kindness in his heart, He returned the dog to the right owner. Everyone respected him for this, and thus he became president. Later he received presents form may people, and these presents consisted of animals. George Washington was a great president ...more
Jekka
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cedric (8)
I liked how he loves the animals. I like how much puppies he had. I learned that Washington lived at Mount Vernon, he fought General Howe, he had a wife named Martha. My favorite story was how Washington got seven puppies from Lafayette.

Mom:
This was a fun read. There are a lot of little animal-related stories within the framework of the main plot, and, also plenty of little tidbits about Washington himself. For an animal-loving child, this was a great history lesson.
Matthew
A true story of George Washington's admirable quality as a gentleman as he returned General Howe's dog to him out of respect for the bond between a man and his dog. Well researched and effectively told, this is a great book for children learning about Washington, the person.
Shannon Cahill
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mommy, liam, evan, caden, quinn, rylan
Kids loved this book. It had a very cute interesting story that a lot of the history books wouldn't mention. It is a short book and easy to read. Used during week 5 CC, George Washington.
Marie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I'll start by saying that pretty much every book about G.W. will get five stars from me, for the subject matter. ;) In all honesty, though, this is an excellent book for it's intended audience. (Kindergartners) It's a (really short) nonfic text about George Washington's dogs. Did you know that he had a beloved dog named Sweetlips who even went to war with him? I didn't! And there's a really neat story about G.W. and a British general's dog too. You'll have to read it to find out more. ;)
Luisa Knight
Like the book I read earlier, "Lewis and Clark: A Prairie Dog for the President, " this is another good one because it presents history with fun facts that are sure to stick with kids. A fun read and you'll enjoy the illustrations too.

Reading Level: 1st - 3rd grades
Elizabeth
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A true story about a lost dog with a bit of history. I think most kids would like it.
Cara Dore
Title: George Washington and the General’s Dog
Author: Frank Murphy
Illustrator: Richard Walz
Genre: Early Reader

Theme(s): Animals, Trust, Kindness between enemies, Bravery

Opening line/sentence: George Washington is one of America’s greatest heroes.

Brief Book Summary (2-3 sentences in your own words):

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Naomi Butler (Children's Literature)
George Washington loved animals, something that people do not always know. He loved horses and riding as well as other fa
Art
George had 36 dogs in his life.
Names of four were Mopsey, Sweetlips, Truelove and Vulcan.
General Lafayette gave him his dogs.
General Howe lost his dog and Washington called a flag of truce and gave him his dog back.
Made me think of the "Patriot", Cornwallis's dogs.
Dolly
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
I went to our local library looking for a few President-themed books to read with our girls during Presidents' Day weekend. I found a few picture-book biographies and I'm sure they will serve their purpose. Perhaps they'll even be great. But then I looked for a book or two about an American President that might be a fun, interesting, even whimsical read. One that didn't necessarily tell the whole story of his life (I am a bit frustrated right now that I can only use the masculine pronoun; someda ...more
Maggie Burgess
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this one with a student, and she really enjoyed it! I'm so used to these early readers being fiction, cutesy books about Frog and Toad, Fly Guy, Pete the Cat, etc. I LOVE that I've found a few that are non-fiction. This isn't a history of George Washington, or the Revolutionary War- not too "non-fiction-y" for students who aren't interested or ready for deep history. Instead, it focused on a fun fact/event with George and incorporates some history along with it. My student was totally into ...more
Sara Kay
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This story begins speaking of George Washington's love of animals, he especially loved his dogs. One day, when George is at war, he sees a dog without its owner. Concerned for the dog, George checks its tag and realizes it is the dog of the general of the opposing army. George quickly gets someone to write a letter to the enemy and explain the situation. They then raise white flags, signalling a ceasefire, in order to walk the dog back to its owner.
I love this story, especially because its said
Elizabeth Heuston
Author: Frank Murphy

Illustrated by : Richard Walz

Genre: picture book. non-fiction

Audience: Kindergarden - 3rd grade

Topic: George Washington

Theme: Dogs importance during the Revolutionary war.

Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Guided Reading, History class

Reading Level: Transitional

Illustrations: Support the story. They do a great job of depicting the war and soldiers. Colorful.

Thoughts: The book makes this true story about George Washington fun and easy to read about. Many kids may not have heard this
midnightfaerie
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 3 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 20 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Rosa Cline
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, history
This was a very good History book telling about a fun story that we don't learn in school. Even in the back it has a page of talking about trueness of the story. That the event really did take place.

Talks about the war where George Washington served and after a battle they found a dog. He wanted to keep him but found out he actually belong to the enemy general. George stoped the war and returned the dog. Very nicely written history book.
Disha
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book has excellent colourful and catchy illustration and speaks of George washing tons love for pets. The story speaks of all pets George owned in his lifetime. The later part of the book speaks of war between England and United States and how George wins people's heart through an act of kindness towards the enemy nations generals dog. Fun read with information engrained in this one
Kimberly Hansen
This is a great book for a quick story on George Washington. The book is for elementary students and gives a good overview of how George Washington became president. Real people and stories were told in this book. At the end the author puts in real pictures and a real picture of a note George Washington wrote.
Camille
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
George Washington found a dog belonging to his enemy, General Howe. As a man of honor and integrity, George Washington made sure the the dog was returned safely to its master. A very inspiring story of chivalry, honesty, and kindness. A true gentleman.
Darleen Roche
Oct 08, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: Teachers and children k-4th grade
George Washington and the General's Dog is a fun historical fiction book for children from kindergarten to fourth grade. It adds real life to George Washington. The story is about when George Washington finds General Howe's dog on the battle field. See what happens next as you read this fun book.
Heather
This was a nice little story based on a true event. The illustrations were fun and colorful and the text was simple. The "moral" of the story was not overpowering.

Great book to read to the younger set or for a new reader looking for something after the "beginning" readers.
David Kilgore
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A fun book that follows the adventures the first president his dog and him get into. A great tool for the early childhood history classes.
Ewa

Wonderful story about George Washington.
Barkshire Woods
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We purchased a copy of this book at the Mount Vernon shops. The first grader read it with assistance at least twice and will most likely continue to practice reading it over time.
Mellanie C
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute story.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is a story of kindness between enemies. R.C.
ABC
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
This is an awesome book! It tells a nice (and supposedly true) story about George Washington returning his enemy's dog, plus it teaches American history.
Deborah Harris

Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Carrie
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, nonfiction
The stories in the "Step Into Reading" series aren't usually noteworthy, but this book has an interesting story, and subtley teaches kids about the American revolution in the process.
Gina
Great read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Abe Lincoln's Hat
  • Christopher Columbus
  • The True Story of Pocahontas (Step Into Reading, Step 3)
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Trail of Tears (Step into Reading)
  • The First Thanksgiving
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • Helen Keller: Courage in the Dark
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?
  • Sarah Emma Edmonds Was a Great Pretender: The True Story of a Civil War Spy (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
  • Louisa May's Battle: How the Civil War Led to Little Women
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • We the People: The Story of Our Constitution

Step into Reading, Step 3 (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • Monster Bugs (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • Tentacles!: Tales of the Giant Squid
  • S-S-snakes!
  • Dolphins! (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • Arthur's Hiccups (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Twisters! (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Bully Trouble (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Down on the Funny Farm (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • The Missing Tooth