Start by marking “A Better India: A Better World” as Want to Read:
A Better India: A Better World

A Better India: A Better World

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  692 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
What will it take for India to bridge this great divide? When will the fruits of development reach the poorest of the poor, and wipe the tears from the eyes of every man, woman and child, as Mahatma Gandhi had dreamt? And how should this, our greatest challenge ever, be negotiated? In this honest, bold and remarkably well-argued book, N.R. Narayana Murthy, who shows us tha ...more
Published April 21st 2009 by Penguin Global

To ask other readers questions about A Better India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Better India

Diana
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
If we had more men like Murthy, India would hold the position of honor on the World arena for reasons more than one. In the book, he lists ways and means by which we can overcome major obstacles in development and commerce and doesn't mince words when he explains the harsh realities that bog the country down. He is a man of principles and has built an empire on a virtue system that, in my opinion, needs to implemented immediately.

The book can get repetitive at places because these are speeches
Yash Jain
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The book is old in its thinking. It is a compilation of Mr. Murthuy`s lectures between 2001 and 2010. I found them to be less relevant in the world of today. ...more
Rajat TWIT
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
The author is definitely a legend and a person of impeccable reputation. His name on the book alone can make the reader feel excited about the discussion inside it. But strangely i found the book a bit disappointing. May be we expect much more from a legend or may be legends should stick to what they are good at. But the bottom line is, this book could have been written in a far better way.
The topic of essays(or rather lectures that he gave all over the globe) are excellent and they indeed shou
Siddharth Sharma
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a collection of speeches delivered by Mr. Narayan Murthy across the world at leading b-schools and colleges. A positive look at the way globalization is proceeding, he urges youth ie the future global leaders, to embrace this phenomenon and understand diversities in different cultures in order to do good businesses in various markets and ecosystems.

Though the book, at times, feels a bit simplistic, as this issue of India's standing at the globalized stage has been discussed by many
Prashanth Akunuri
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Title says it all. It's a collection of speeches made by N.R. Narayana Murthy, co-founder of Infosys, India's largest software company. He is also one of the most respected Indians, especially in the corporate world. Coming to the book, Narayana Murthy speaks about how changes in governance and policies might effect India's pace in progress for betterment. He also writes about entrepreneurship and how their small software company has become enormous, thanks to India's early 90s economic reforms. ...more
Raghavendra Kulkarni
This is an unbiased and very bold book on India which clearly states what we are good at, what we are not good at, what are our problems, how can they be solved etc. Based on Mr Murthy's Infosys experience and his speeches delivered across various organizations in the world, the book is well argued and supported by lots of data, facts & examples. It is indeed a good read for anyone interested to know a larger & deeper picture of India. Although some topics are repeated in some of the spe ...more
Juha
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in corporate social responsibility and international development
Recommended to Juha by: Vijaya Vadivelu
This is a refreshing book by an important business leader. When an Indian colleague first lent it to me, I wasn’t thrilled to read it but felt obliged. I was very much positively surprised. N.R. Narayana Murthy, the founder and chairman of Infosys presents a rather coherent and positive vision to the world according to himself. If only many more business leaders thought like him, one might even feel tempted by this thing called ‘compassionate capitalism.’ Narayana Murthy has thought much about I ...more
Raman Kukreja
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice book.. Collection of inspiring speeches by Narayana Murthy. He talks about his own experience, what and why of capitalism, entrepreneurship, leadership, globalization and its relevance for developing countries, corporate governance and some of the reforms needed in our society..
Skand
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring and influential...
India is fortunate to have people like N.R. Murthy who despite such deplorable state of our country have faith in the youth that it would bring about change. With such optimistic citizens India is sure to succeed in its vision of being a developed country.
Santhosh Shanmugavel
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
many of the suggestions/recommendations are superficial and swallow. There is no doubt that MR.Murty is the hero of the Indian IT story and has proven talent in corporate management, however one should be considerate of all the factors in the society while talking about issues that are pestering Indian lives. Using examples from IT industries and talking about the problems in IT business in almost every chapter has ruined the main theme of the book - "A better India".
Akash Kinariwala
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book only coz of Narayan Murthy sir. But frankly it was not what can be expected. The essays/ speeches are good but somehow not that inspiring... I will say his reading his work/ his life will inspire more than the speeches..
Ramakrishnan M
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Narayana Murthy, the core founder of Infosys (Global IT behemoth)needs no introduction in India. He is one entrepreneur who is truly admired, respected and ardently emulated. His story of starting from scratch and building a global firm is well known.

This book is a collection of his essays/speeches delivered across various venues. The topics vary a lot - from capitalism to leadership to corporate governance to Infosys story. He draws lessons from his life and inspires people to leave an impact -
Rameshwaranand
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
oh, I haven't yet finishednreading this great piece of literature however I reserve my opinion for the ideas that are shared in the book. I personally belief that what Mr Murphy is trying to profess is that we should blindly copy western style of living. it is in the pretext that he had to faced one awry incidence of socialism in his youthful years. secondly, I think factories and companies are not the only solution to employment generation. it is only because we never sincerely advocated the ca ...more
Abhishek Nilugal
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the great reads! A great compilation of talks delivered by Mr. N R Narayana Murthy. I must definitely admit that he is one of the great learned scholars of this country. He points out to the achievements that we have made during post colonization era and their implications on the potential of this great country. He also points out to a number of critical issues that need to be prioritized and solved with great urgency. Some of the solutions he specifies can bring real great change to this ...more
Vibhor
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
N.R.Narayan Murthy is an epitome of a man who lived by his principles all his life. This also reflected in Infosys, the organization that went on to be respected by the world. This book is a collection of his lectures/speeches on various occasions in the 2000s. He presents his views and suggestions on how to tackle some of the problems faced by India and the world at large in public governance. He also speaks on corporate governance, globalization, philanthropy and what entrepreneurship means to ...more
Ram
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
Just finished reading an excellent book called "A Better India, a Better World" by Narayana Murthy, mentor at Infosys. This is a collection of his speeches, but the narrative is fine and Mr. Murthy is a fine thinker with a lot of innovative thoughts and ideas for improving India. A wonderful book to read, highly recommended. Why not Narayana Murthy as PM of India for 10 years. It would be a great idea.
Alok Chandna
Lectures delivered by NRN to different institutes the world over.It has startling facts about economy,education and India's core issues.Everyone knows about these issues, but the numbers,facts and what we as a nation can do by giving parallels from the world.I like the way he talks with a global perspective on everything.
Karthik
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Could not agree less with him less.Such ideas can be generated only in a gifted mind which dwells in a utopian world where everything is gorgeous. Even though i could not agree with him more these ideas will echo with o very small section of people but i think that would do enough good to the nation and the world.
Sahil Mittal
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gives you first hand view of the realities of setting up a company. Role of values of a firm are very well established as well. And the most important that is talked about is about the relevance of your work and the impact that your company has on the demographics of a nation and this world. Forces you to respect Infosys more than you did before.!!
Rumit Kumar
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book gives a deep insight about the activities our country should practice so that we can improve ourselves in fields of technology, research, business , lifestyle, resourcefulness. The way he has related the events to his own life experiences is fantastic.
Saurabh Verma
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A set of excellent essays which are a must read for every Indian. The only negative about about this book is the repetition of several quotes/ideas across several essays which I guess cannot be avoided given this is a collection of speeches at various points of time.
Krishna Sundhar
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
NRN is always a legacy. ABIABW is compilation of speeches given by NRN around the world. The book can get repetitive at times but worth reading. ABIABW is about the challenges that our country faces and ways to overcome them. A must read.

Kevin Miller
Apr 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
CEO of Infosys -- learned about him in Dr. Patterson's class. He's a visionary leading the charge for equal everything in India. Sick company. Also used his resources to do social work in Chicago (teaching classes to everyone) for free
Prateek Singal
May 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
The book is a collection of speeches of one of the greatest entrepreneurs of India : Mr Narayana Murthy .

While the speeches in itself are inspiring the content is pretty repetitive and more feelings than facts !

Not a bad read but not an extraordinary read as well.
Manmohan Patil
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is really good. As the words are coming from Narayana Murty whom we all know and and as he goes on narrating the experiences he had, the learning he took from that it becomes all the more inspiring and educating young and grown up minds alike.
Aditi Agarwal
Aug 09, 2009 marked it as to-read
The book is good .. a collection of his speeches .. but you just cant read it cover to cover .. Having said that, the book is a must have on every public speaker's shelf .....
Shobhit Taneja
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
We(Indian's) can bring the change.. V.inspiring book.. must read for youngsters..
Sandeep N R
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
N R Narayana Murthy is an awesome person
Kunal
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of lectures given by Mr Narayana Murthy about Infosys, national issues, governance and leadership. A must read
Amelia
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Insightful, from an inspiring leader and visionary.
  • High-Performance Entrepreneur
  • Imagining India: The Idea of a Renewed Nation
  • The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry--and What We Must Do to Stop It
  • Forbes® Greatest Business Stories of All Time
  • Superpower?: The Amazing Race Between China's Hare and India's Tortoise
  • Simply Fly
  • The Game Changers: 20 extraordinary success stories of entrepreneurs from IIT Kharagpur
  • Conquering the Chaos: Win in India, Win Everywhere