Jump to ratings and reviews

A Better India: A Better World

What will it take for India to bridge this great divide? When will the fruits of development reach the poorest of the poor, and wipe the tears from the eyes of every man, woman and child, as Mahatma Gandhi had dreamt? And how should this, our greatest challenge ever, be negotiated? In this honest, bold and remarkably well-argued book, N.R. Narayana Murthy, who shows us that a society working for the greatest welfare of the greatest number samasta jananam sukhino bhavantu must focus on two simple values and good leadership. Drawing on the remarkable Infosys story and the lessons learnt from the two decades of post-reform India, Narayana Murthy lays down the ground rules that must be followed if future generations are to inherit a truly progressive nation.

320 pages, Hardcover

First published April 21, 2009

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

N.R. Narayana Murthy

6 books13 followers
Nagavara Ramarao Narayana Murthy is an Indian billionaire businessman. He is the co-founder of Infosys, and has been chairman, chief executive officer, president, and chief mentor, before retiring and taking the title chairman emeritus.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews
Profile Image for Diana.
4 reviews
May 30, 2012
If we had more men like Murthy, India would hold the position of honor on the World arena for reasons more than one. In the book, he lists ways and means by which we can overcome major obstacles in development and commerce and doesn't mince words when he explains the harsh realities that bog the country down. He is a man of principles and has built an empire on a virtue system that, in my opinion, needs to implemented immediately.

The book can get repetitive at places because these are speeches given at various institutes and colleges and the underlying themes are essentially the same. But it left me feeling sad because this book will not be read by those in authority (who I assume are mostly illiterate) and it will take strong will to fight opposing elements in the system.

Does make you think about your actions and the country's future, which was what Murthy probably had in mind when he compiled this book.
Profile Image for Yash Jain.
Author 6 books2 followers
January 13, 2018
The book is old in its thinking. It is a compilation of Mr. Murthuy`s lectures between 2001 and 2010. I found them to be less relevant in the world of today.
Profile Image for Rajat TWIT.
88 reviews15 followers
May 16, 2013
The author is definitely a legend and a person of impeccable reputation. His name on the book alone can make the reader feel excited about the discussion inside it. But strangely i found the book a bit disappointing. May be we expect much more from a legend or may be legends should stick to what they are good at. But the bottom line is, this book could have been written in a far better way.
The topic of essays(or rather lectures that he gave all over the globe) are excellent and they indeed should be given serious thinking for a better India. But unfortunately, except once or twice, MR Murthy has not been able to give a very concrete idea or plan. Asking everyone to be morally right and hardworking will not bring change in a miraculous way, and is too much to expect. Providing numerous statistics and numbers, and then showing grave concern on it will also change nothing! India is a large(and highly populated) nation with a complex mixture of different religion, languages and cultures. So we should discuss the problems in a mature way.
But sometimes Mr Murthy seems to be out of loop from some realities of our country. For example, in one of the essays under Education, he says if he becomes a principal of a secondary school, he will ".....reduce the class size so that better attention can be given to individual students." Now, I don't think I have to tell you that considering the population of our country and the dearth of basic infrastructure, this certainly is impossible. So how can we take it as a suggestion or plan to make India a better place? Similarly his suggestion regarding eradicating corruption in politics will leave you wondering, why exactly the Singaporean minister who shot himself, should make our politicians to change their hearts? Is it the Singaporean Prime Minister's view or the regret in deceased Minister, that should be noticed. I wonder how this thing relates with our politicians!
But still, Mr Murthy is a voice which should be given a respectable hearing(even if voice gets irritatingly redundant in facts and narration) and his vast experience could be of great resource for the nation.
Though I was able to read very few pages of Nandan Nilekani's 'Imagining India', but still i will recommend his book over Mr Murthy's as Imagining India is much more clear in vision and Mr Nilekani has done a wonderful job to provide better arguments.
So much so about the Legends!
Profile Image for Siddharth Sharma.
13 reviews10 followers
May 8, 2013
This book is a collection of speeches delivered by Mr. Narayan Murthy across the world at leading b-schools and colleges. A positive look at the way globalization is proceeding, he urges youth ie the future global leaders, to embrace this phenomenon and understand diversities in different cultures in order to do good businesses in various markets and ecosystems.

Though the book, at times, feels a bit simplistic, as this issue of India's standing at the globalized stage has been discussed by many a writer in a gung-ho style; but then it's Mr. Murthy himself- our very own pioneering stalwart of entrepreneurship and a successful global figure. If he makes a call for action, it's worth giving an attentive ear to. Its's the length and breadth of his experience of businesses across the world, that he is in a position to finally suggest the simple sounding solutions that actually work.

It's this subtle energy of this book that exudes an optimism and encourages readers to realize what all they can do and start doing it!
Profile Image for Raghavendra Kulkarni.
14 reviews4 followers
January 19, 2010
This is an unbiased and very bold book on India which clearly states what we are good at, what we are not good at, what are our problems, how can they be solved etc. Based on Mr Murthy's Infosys experience and his speeches delivered across various organizations in the world, the book is well argued and supported by lots of data, facts & examples. It is indeed a good read for anyone interested to know a larger & deeper picture of India. Although some topics are repeated in some of the speeches for completeness, I suggest reading 2 to 3 speeches every week and not read the book in one shot. Happy reading!

Raghavendra Kulkarni
Profile Image for Prashanth Akunuri.
6 reviews9 followers
May 30, 2013
Title says it all. It's a collection of speeches made by N.R. Narayana Murthy, co-founder of Infosys, India's largest software company. He is also one of the most respected Indians, especially in the corporate world. Coming to the book, Narayana Murthy speaks about how changes in governance and policies might effect India's pace in progress for betterment. He also writes about entrepreneurship and how their small software company has become enormous, thanks to India's early 90s economic reforms.

It is a must read if you are interested to read about India, especially in the words of a corporate leader.
Profile Image for Juha.
Author 14 books19 followers
March 27, 2013
This is a refreshing book by an important business leader. When an Indian colleague first lent it to me, I wasn’t thrilled to read it but felt obliged. I was very much positively surprised. N.R. Narayana Murthy, the founder and chairman of Infosys presents a rather coherent and positive vision to the world according to himself. If only many more business leaders thought like him, one might even feel tempted by this thing called ‘compassionate capitalism.’ Narayana Murthy has thought much about India, his homeland, and its contradictions. In the introduction to his book, he outlines these:

“The enigma of India is that our progress in higher education and in science and technology has not been sufficient to take 350 million Indians out of illiteracy. It is difficult to imagine that 318 million people in the country do not have access to safe drinking water and 250 million people do not have access to basic medical care. Why should 630 million people not have access to acceptable sanitation facilities even in 2009? When you see world-class supermarkets and food chains in our towns, and when our urban youngsters gloat over the choice of toppings on their pizzas, why should 51 per cent of the children in the country be undernourished? When India is among the largest producers of engineers and scientists in the world, why should 52 per cent of the primary schools have only one teacher for every two classes? When our politicians and bureaucrats live in huge houses in Lutyens’ Delhi and the state capitals, our corporate leaders splurge money on mansions, yachts and planes, and our urban youth revel in their latest sport shoes, why should 300 million Indians live on hardly Rs 545 per month (US$10 at current exchange rate), barely sufficient to manage two meals a day, with little or no money left for schooling, clothes, shelter and medicine?” (pp. xiii-xiv).

His starting point is Franklin D. Roosevelt’s ‘four freedoms’—freedom of speech and expression, freedom of religion, freedom from want, and freedom from fear (p. xiii). He later elaborates on what a ‘civilized society’ entails: “a society where everybody has equal opportunity to better his or her life; where every child has food, shelter, health care and education; a society where duties come before rights; where each generation makes sacrifices to make life better for the next generation” (p. 11). Obviously, many of these tenets are increasingly not present in today’s USA and, worse, many Americans on the right would dispute these principles as smacking of socialism.

Narayana Murthy is a well-read and well-travelled, learned man who clearly thinks a lot about societal issues. In the introduction his acknowledged three books that have influenced him deeply: The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism by Max Weber; My Experiments with Truth by Mahatma Gandhi; and Peau Noire, Masques Blancs by Franz Fanon (p. xiv). This rather eclectic selection shows the breadth of his reading and attests to an open mind. He builds his own philosophy on these disparate strains of thought, emphasizing the importance of values and leadership. He sets out early in the book that, “I do not know of any community—a company, an institution or a nation—that has achieved success without a long journey of aspiration, hard work, commitment, focus, hope, confidence, humility and sacrifice” (p. xxiii).

His student years in France in the 1970s were very important in forming his thinking. In the first chapter, a lecture to students, he compares France to India for its civil-mindedness: “In France, everybody acted as if it was their job to discuss, debate and quickly act on improving public facilities. In India, we discuss, debate and behave as if the improvement of any public facility is not our task, and consequently, do not act at all” (p. 11). His conclusion: being a developing country is a mindset. Here he breaks clear of the Left, placing the onus on the individual, as well as the society as a whole, to take responsibility for its own destiny. He tells a story of how he lost any sympathy for the Left after having been incarcerated by Bulgarian authorities when traveling back from Paris to India in 1974 (pp. 4-5).

This is a collection of 37 essays and speeches given at a variety of fora during the 2000s and selected for the book by the author himself. They are divided into sections: Address to students; Values; Important national issues; Education; Leadership challenges; Corporate and public governance; Corporate social responsibility and philanthropy; Entrepreneurship; Globalization; and, finally, three short chapters on Infosys. In such a collection it is inevitable that there are overlaps between the chapters and many recurrent themes. I’ll pick a few themes that I found interesting here below.

He addresses students in a variety of schools, ranging from prestigious institutions like INSEAD, Indian Institute of Technology, IESE Business School in Barcelona and NYU, to various other universities in India. He exhorts his values: “You must believe in and act according to the principle that putting public interest ahead of private interest in the short term will be better for your private concerns in the long run.” … “Ego, vanity and contempt for other people have clouded our minds for thousands of years and impeded our progress. Humility is scarce in this country.” … “No county that has shunned merit has succeeded in solving its problems.” … “The reason for the lack of progress in many developing nations is not the paucity of resources but the lack of management talent and professionalism” (pp. 14-15).

Narayana Murthy is a fan of globalization and refers to the ‘global bazaar’ and Thomas Friedman’s ‘flat world’ in several places. In this context, he calls for “an environment of tolerance and respect for multi-culturalism” (p. 19). He sees global warming and environmental degradation as major threats and sees that the answers must lie in global cooperation: “The solution is not to force developing nations to forgo what the developed world has enjoyed for over a century. It is to come together as one planet and use innovation in technology to produce alternate energy solutions and reduction of carbon emissions.” His thinking reflects the intergenerational equity perspective embedded in the original definition of sustainable development: “After all, this is the only planet we have. Conduct yourself as if you have borrowed it from the next generation. Remember that you will have to give it back to them in good shape” (pp. 20-21).

He is also very critical of laissez-faire capitalism, a theme that resonates throughout the book: “Unfortunately, the greed of several corporate leaders, the meltdown of Wall Street, the increasing differences between the salaries of CEOs and ordinary workers, and the unbelievable severance compensation paid to failed CEOs have called into question whether capitalism is indeed a solution for the benefit of all, or if it is an instrument for a few cunning people to hoodwink a large mass of gullible middle-class and poor people. Never before in the history of capitalism have so few people brought so much misery to so many.” His views of how to manage a company are in line with his broader beliefs: “The only way you can save capitalism and bring it back to its shining glory is by conducting yourselves as decent, honest, fair, diligent and socially conscious business leaders. In every action of yours, you have to ask how it will make the lowest level worker in your corporation and the poorest person in your society better. You have to learn to put the interest of the community—your corporation, your society, your nation and this planet—before your own interest.” Again emphasizing the need for sacrifice, he states that, “(T)o succeed in these days of globalization, global warming and laissez-faire capitalism, every worker in your corporation will have to accept tremendous sacrifices in the short term and hope that goodness will, indeed, succeed in the long term and make life better for every one of them” (pp. 21-22). Certainly not the thinking en vogue on this continent!

Naryana Murthy is also rather harsh on India. In a chapter entitled ‘What Can We Learn from the West?’ he chastises his own nation for faulty values: “Indian society has, for over a thousand years, put loyalty to family ahead of loyalty to society.” … “Unfortunately, our attitude towards family life is not reflected in our attitude towards the community. From littering the streets to corruption to violating contractual obligations, we are apathetic to the community good.” … “Apathy in addressing community matters has held us back from making progress which is otherwise within our reach. We see serious problems around us but do not try to solve them. We behave as if the problems do not exist or as if they belong to someone else” (pp. 47-49). He continues, “our intellectual arrogance has also not helped our society. I have travelled extensively and, in my experience, have not come across another society where people are as contemptuous of better societies as we are, with as little progress as we have achieved.” He identifies things that India should learn from the West, including accountability, dignity of labour (“everybody in India wants to be a thinker and not a doer”), and professionalism (punctuality, respect for other people’s time, respecting contractual obligations), concluding that “the most important attribute of a progressive society is respect for others who have accomplished more than they themselves have, and the willingness to learn from them” (pp. 50-51)

Elaborating on individual responsibilities, he adds one more: discipline. “There are several ingredients for national development—natural resources, human resources, leadership, and finally, discipline.” … “The utter lack of discipline exhibited by our people is rendering these other three powerful factors ineffective for fast-paced economic growth. We see umpteen examples of undisciplined behaviour around us every day. What is even sadder is that this behaviour has become the norm even among the powerful and the elite.” … “Discipline is about complying with the agreed protocols, norms, desirable practices, regulations and the laws of the land designed to improve the performance of individuals and societies. Discipline is the bedrock of individual development, community development, and national development” (p. 57). In this category, Narayana Murthy includes aspects, such as lack of discipline in thought, or intellectual dishonesty (objectivity to focus on outcomes and results, rather than politics or focus on caste and religion; corruption). To achieve discipline, India needs role models (honest, accountable, disciplined leaders committed to change), swift and harsh punishment of offenders, transparency, political reform, and an improved bureaucracy (p. 65).

The part focusing on important national issues considers a wide range, including the role of population in economic development in India. Talking about population growth as a strain to development risks getting attacked from both the Left and the Right these days, but Narayana Murthy barges right into the issues. He highlights the need for ‘good human capital’ (p. 94) but also warns that “a failure to stabilize India’s population will have significant implications for the future of India’s economy” and that “high population densities have also led to overloaded systems and infrastructure in urban areas” (p. 95). He links the population debate to environment and resources, in particular energy demand, noting how the combined demands from India and China will put pressure on world resources: “The rapid growth in emerging economies cannot be sustained in the face of mounting environmental deterioration and resource depletion” (pp. 96-97). He sees a clear role for the government, which must “focus on conservation-friendly policies. For example, subsidies on conventional fuel make it difficult for renewable energy sources to compete and should be removed at least for rich and middle-class people.” … “The government can play a key role as a regulator in making Indian industry environmentally responsible” (pp. 99-100). Would someone please tell that to the politicians in Washington, DC?

So, how to deal with the issue of excessive population growth? Well, there’s the need to meet unmet need of contraception and the issue of how Indian states have failed to implement family planning programs. Narayana Murthy recognizes that there’s been a significant decrease in population growth in certain southern states, such as Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, where “state governments here focussed on human development, opened up local economies, and improved social services … Rising female literacy in these states contributed to the success of family planning … A focus on women’s and children’s health also contribute to population control.” He concludes, in line with what is also known from empirical literature: “human development goes hand in hand with lower population growth” (pp. 98-99). What he doesn’t mention is that states like Kerala have for decades been run by parties from the Left.

His ‘Framework for Urban Planning in Modern India’ also recognizes the importance of planning but calls for “radical, immediate reform in the planning and management of our cities” that “must adequately address the shortage of low-cost housing” (pp. 104-105).

Moving to corporate governance, he extols the virtues of good corporate governance to enhance corporate performance while ensuring that corporations conform with the interests of investors and society by “creating fairness, transparency and accountability in business activities among employees, management and the board” (p. 174). “The abuse of corporate power results from incentives within firms that encourage a culture of corruption. … Clearly, good governance requires a mindset within the corporation which integrates the corporate code of ethics into the day-to-day activities of its managers and workers” (p. 181). “Corporate leaders have to create a climate of opinion that values respectability in addition to wealth” (p. 184).

So what is this ‘compassionate capitalism’ that Narayana Murthy longs for? According to him it is about “bringing the power of capitalism to the benefit of large masses. It is about combining the power of mind and heart, the good of capitalism and socialism … The benefits of growth have to be distributed widely” (p. 215). While this does not exist anywhere, Narayana Murthy does pay some respect to what he calls the ‘Swedish model.’

He returns to the theme of the lack of credibility of capitalism today: “Greedy behaviour from corporate leaders has strengthened public conviction that free markets are tools for the rich to get richer at the expense of the welfare of the general public” (p. 216). Lest capitalism is rejected as the most accepted model for growth in developing countries and by the alienated poor, the business leaders have to regain the trust of society and abide the value system of the community where they operate. Touching on a debate that rages both in America and Europe, Narayana Murthy weighs in on executive compensation: “Business leaders should shun excessive managerial compensation. Managerial remuneration should be based on three principles—fairness with respect to the compensation of other employees; transparency with respect to shareholders and employees; and accountability with respect to linking compensation with corporate performance … We have to create a climate of opinion which says respect is more important than wealth” (pp. 216-217). Indeed.

At the end, this rather visionary and socially aware business leader sees globalization in an almost exclusively favourable light, concluding that “we need a flat world because is spreads the American beliefs in free trade to the rest of the world; it benefits consumers from all over the globe; it helps create a world with better opportunities for everyone; and, finally, it brings global trade into focus, shunning terrorism and creating a more peaceful world” (p. 256). The self-confessed admirer of the United States would be bitterly disappointed with the level of political discourse here today.
469 reviews7 followers
September 16, 2019
A collection of speeches given by N. R. Narayana Murthy on various occasions grouped by the theme of the speech.

Mr. Narayana Murthy swears by capitalism. It looks like he was highly influenced by the treatment he got in communist Hungary. (Can one say it is a bounce back like Ayn Rand who suffered in Russia?).

Nevertheless giving the speaker the benefit of doubt, some of the statements are very apt and the it will help if our leaders listened to him.

In one of the speeches he says "I believe in democracy. As Winston Churchill said, democracy may not be the best form of government, but the alternatives are worse. Democracy is about achieving the collective aspirations of a nation and not that of a few vested interests. Democracy mandates openness for discussion and debate and generally brings out the best ideas. Democracies provide the most effective platform for addressing the basic needs of every citizen - education, health care, shelter and nutrition. A democratic setup creates equal opportunities for everyone to better his life or her life. It also averts disasters, as eloquently argued by the Nobel Laureate economist Amartya Sen".

Now read the same replacing Democracy with Socialism. I don't think anyone would argue that socialism is against of the suggested encouragements provided by democracy. What went wrong was that the few who were in power twisted the essence of socialism.

He goes on to state that all the above holds true in spirit of democracy. The spirit of socialism was the same. It was again the people who interpreted it to their convenience. In a similar way the spirit of capitalism did not preclude sharing of wealth but the fact is that it is not happening today.

A decent read. Be prepared for a lot of repetition as has been warned in the foreword.
50 reviews1 follower
October 14, 2021
It's very difficult to be critical of the book written by someone like Narayana Murthy, who has been an icon of India's software industry's success and has built an organization we all are proud of.

However, the book was a bit underwhelming, even keeping in mind the age of the book. Perhaps also because of the expectation from the author of his stature. While he provides some good suggestions and solutions to India's problems and driving India towards prosperity - many of them ignore the ground realities of the country and hence, are very impractical. Just goes on to suggest how disconnected India's western/English-educated elites are from the country.

His insistence on English; looking towards the West for every single problem the country is facing; failure to acknowledge the Congress origins of the pre-liberalization era problems; excessively quoting/crediting Gandhi-Nehru (as if no one else existed); pretending the nation didn't exist before 1947 by calling Gandhi-Nehru as "founding fathers" - almost became nauseating.

I certainly agree with his idea that India definitely needs "compassionate capitalism" to eradicate poverty as socialism and communism have failed miserably all over the world, including India.

It's still a decent read. Repetitions actually reduce the size of the book in terms of reading time - so it's not as big as it appears.
Profile Image for Raunak Amin.
3 reviews
April 25, 2019
Really good book to learn about the struggles and constraints that India is facing in the 21st century and how to overcome the challenges using capitalism. Capitalists are classified as greedy individuals who only care for making profit, but this book portrays how capitalism can break barriers and prove to be a force of good in this world. Loved this book and the example given the author.

There is a lot of repetition, and that is the only reason why I gave it 4 stars. But then the author has a disclaimer in the beginning regarding this, so should not be a surprise.
Profile Image for Adil Khan.
17 reviews1 follower
November 20, 2022
A series of lectures given by NR N murthy, the founder of infosys are compiled in this book.The topics include Education, entrepreneurship, important national issues and so on. Murthy believes that the poverty can only be eliminated by creating jobs. He also believes that globalisation can reduce the gap among countries and hence creat opportunities for all.
March 23, 2017
many of the suggestions/recommendations are superficial and swallow. There is no doubt that MR.Murty is the hero of the Indian IT story and has proven talent in corporate management, however one should be considerate of all the factors in the society while talking about issues that are pestering Indian lives. Using examples from IT industries and talking about the problems in IT business in almost every chapter has ruined the main theme of the book - "A better India".
Profile Image for Raman Kukreja.
6 reviews
December 20, 2017
Nice book.. Collection of inspiring speeches by Narayana Murthy. He talks about his own experience, what and why of capitalism, entrepreneurship, leadership, globalization and its relevance for developing countries, corporate governance and some of the reforms needed in our society..
Profile Image for Akash Kinariwala.
7 reviews1 follower
February 21, 2017
I read this book only coz of Narayan Murthy sir. But frankly it was not what can be expected. The essays/ speeches are good but somehow not that inspiring... I will say his reading his work/ his life will inspire more than the speeches..
Profile Image for Ramakrishnan M.
172 reviews4 followers
June 8, 2010
Narayana Murthy, the core founder of Infosys (Global IT behemoth)needs no introduction in India. He is one entrepreneur who is truly admired, respected and ardently emulated. His story of starting from scratch and building a global firm is well known.

This book is a collection of his essays/speeches delivered across various venues. The topics vary a lot - from capitalism to leadership to corporate governance to Infosys story. He draws lessons from his life and inspires people to leave an impact - on society, on the country, etc.

Simple prose and crisp writing makes it truly enjoyable read. Murthy brings in enough data, disseminates in a remarkable manner and brings good insights. Above all, he encourages people to be progressive in nature.

Overall, a pretty good read.
3 reviews2 followers
December 14, 2012
oh, I haven't yet finishednreading this great piece of literature however I reserve my opinion for the ideas that are shared in the book. I personally belief that what Mr Murphy is trying to profess is that we should blindly copy western style of living. it is in the pretext that he had to faced one awry incidence of socialism in his youthful years. secondly, I think factories and companies are not the only solution to employment generation. it is only because we never sincerely advocated the cause of agriculture that we are in such a huge mess of unemployment. I still believe that the amount of impetus that goes behind propagating factories if given to agriculture would solve many a misery like migration, overcrowding of cities, growth of regionalism etc...
Profile Image for Vibhor.
45 reviews20 followers
August 26, 2014
N.R.Narayan Murthy is an epitome of a man who lived by his principles all his life. This also reflected in Infosys, the organization that went on to be respected by the world. This book is a collection of his lectures/speeches on various occasions in the 2000s. He presents his views and suggestions on how to tackle some of the problems faced by India and the world at large in public governance. He also speaks on corporate governance, globalization, philanthropy and what entrepreneurship means to him etc.
Profile Image for Ram.
320 reviews11 followers
January 9, 2011
Just finished reading an excellent book called "A Better India, a Better World" by Narayana Murthy, mentor at Infosys. This is a collection of his speeches, but the narrative is fine and Mr. Murthy is a fine thinker with a lot of innovative thoughts and ideas for improving India. A wonderful book to read, highly recommended. Why not Narayana Murthy as PM of India for 10 years. It would be a great idea.
20 reviews7 followers
May 3, 2011
Could not agree less with him less.Such ideas can be generated only in a gifted mind which dwells in a utopian world where everything is gorgeous. Even though i could not agree with him more these ideas will echo with o very small section of people but i think that would do enough good to the nation and the world.
1 review
Read
May 8, 2011
Lectures delivered by NRN to different institutes the world over.It has startling facts about economy,education and India's core issues.Everyone knows about these issues, but the numbers,facts and what we as a nation can do by giving parallels from the world.I like the way he talks with a global perspective on everything.
Profile Image for Sahil Mittal.
16 reviews10 followers
October 24, 2015
Gives you first hand view of the realities of setting up a company. Role of values of a firm are very well established as well. And the most important that is talked about is about the relevance of your work and the impact that your company has on the demographics of a nation and this world. Forces you to respect Infosys more than you did before.!!
5 reviews2 followers
December 24, 2009
A set of excellent essays which are a must read for every Indian. The only negative about about this book is the repetition of several quotes/ideas across several essays which I guess cannot be avoided given this is a collection of speeches at various points of time.
4 reviews3 followers
May 16, 2011
The book is a collection of speeches of one of the greatest entrepreneurs of India : Mr Narayana Murthy .

While the speeches in itself are inspiring the content is pretty repetitive and more feelings than facts !

Not a bad read but not an extraordinary read as well.
68 reviews6 followers
Want to read
April 29, 2012
CEO of Infosys -- learned about him in Dr. Patterson's class. He's a visionary leading the charge for equal everything in India. Sick company. Also used his resources to do social work in Chicago (teaching classes to everyone) for free
Profile Image for Krishna Sundhar.
2 reviews1 follower
April 22, 2013
NRN is always a legacy. ABIABW is compilation of speeches given by NRN around the world. The book can get repetitive at times but worth reading. ABIABW is about the challenges that our country faces and ways to overcome them. A must read.

Profile Image for Rumit Kumar.
3 reviews
July 23, 2013
This book gives a deep insight about the activities our country should practice so that we can improve ourselves in fields of technology, research, business , lifestyle, resourcefulness. The way he has related the events to his own life experiences is fantastic.
Profile Image for Manmohan Patil.
4 reviews2 followers
September 12, 2013
The book is really good. As the words are coming from Narayana Murty whom we all know and and as he goes on narrating the experiences he had, the learning he took from that it becomes all the more inspiring and educating young and grown up minds alike.
6 reviews3 followers
December 14, 2021
This book contains many problems faced in India and solutions to them. This book contains the importance of values and leadership in our society. Good values and Leadership is the only key to a better India.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.