Start by marking “The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)

The Forge of God (Forge of God #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  11,406 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews
On September 28th, a geologist working in Death valley finds a mysterious new cinder cone in very well-mapped area.

On October 1st, the government of Australia announces the discovery of an enormous granite mountain. Like the cinder cone, it wasn't there six months ago....

Something is happening to Planet Earth, and the truth is too terrifying to consider....
Published August 11th 2001 by Tor Books (first published 1987)

Apatt
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Greg Bear is one of the more popular science fiction authors that I have been neglecting. I have only read his best-known book Eon prior to this one. Perhaps that is just as well as I have quite a few more to look forward to. I like sci-fi books set in “the present day” (in this case 1996), they tend to be immediately relatable. They also tend to be about First Contact, the meeting of mankind and extraterrestrials.

"“Do you have a name?” the President asked.
“Not in your language. My name is che
Rose
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
All I kept thinking while reading this was that it felt like an Arthur C Clarke story. You know, complicated science, great concept, crappy two-dimensional characters. I didn't like or dislike one character. They were there only to showcase the idea and the science.

Geologists happen across a large "rock" structure in Death Valley that wasn't there before. While investigating, they discover an alien. It can speak English (having learned it from our radio waves in space) and it says it is a hitch
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Excellent, gripping story.

Nominee: Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Nominee: Nebula Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Sara
With its pacing and readability, The Forge of God reminded me of a Michael Crichton novel - the kind of science fiction story where scientific plausibility reigns and the narrative structure keeps you reading. This is a good novel. I enjoyed the heck out of it. Reading this book, however, incited musings on the various incarnations of science fiction, its characteristics and purposes. Musings follow.

The Forge of God was recommended to me by the kind of reader who dismisses Ray Bradbury and Phill
Chris Westin
Dec 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I was really disappointed by this. I had picked it up because I had really liked other Greg Bear novels: "Eon," "Eternity," and "Legacy." So I was expecting something fantastical on the same scale as those are.

Instead, it was a dull romp through 1980s paranoid Earth. Pages and pages of the government trying to keep extraterrestrial contacts secret from the populace.

There was one very annoying literary device used throughout. The novel is told from a 3rd person omniscient viewpoint. And every tim
Dave Peterschmidt
Jul 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Having read and enjoyed several other Bear books, I had high hopes for this one. Sadly, Forge of God is perhaps the only book I've ever read that has literally nothing to redeem it. I cannot figure out why Bear bothered to write this story. It seemed to have nothing to say, no commentary to impart, and no excitement to bring, while at the same time depicting a human race that, faced with ultimate destruction, fails to attempt even the smallest action in their own defense. Humanity is depicted as ...more
Chelsea
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wow. Not one of Greg Bear's finest, I would say. Although the last third does try to make up for the plodding two thirds.

Like most sci-fi written in the past talking about "the future" that is now our past, it has a few stumbling blocks where he didn't get it quite right. Forge of God was written in 1986, the cold war was still on with no end in sight, computers were just starting to reveal their usefulness as personal computing platforms and modern data storage techniques were coming to light.
Mia
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f, read-2010
A really great concept marred by heavy-handed yet poorly detailed plotting. For a world-wide crisis, one gets only momentary high-level glimpses of how most of the world is taking it; the conceptualization of politics and diplomacy (and government) is pretty simplistic, and for all the talk of characters' intelligence, none of them seem that bright (which may actually be the point.) The most distracting thing for me was noticing how, no matter how often they were referred to as intelligent and c ...more
Bryan
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ron
Sara Reeves
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Its not clear to me why this book won so many awards. Its a pretty generic science fiction story with the added bonus of all sorts of premise holes. (view spoiler) ...more
Kane
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fermites
I've mentioned in my review of Stephen Baxter's Manifold: Time that I really enjoy the Fermi paradox and its potential solutions. The Forge of God explores one potential solution and also dovetails nicely with Stephen Hawking's recent warning not to talk to aliens , although it doesn’t really add anything new to the concept.

The Amazon description here suffices: "The disappearance of one of Jupiter's moons, the appearance of "little green men" in Australia and the American Southwest, and the sud
Benjamin Kahn
Mar 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shane Moore
Jan 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
In short, this book is a boring apocalypse.

I wish that I had read this book 15 years ago. Back then I had lower standards. It does a good job of presenting some compelling scientific ideas, like self-replicating space probes and the concept that the earth can be thought of as an organism which will might eventually be spread by humans acting as a sort of seed or spore. Another point in its favor is that this book is at least as scientifically plausible as any other Science-Fiction I've read in t
Larry
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hard sf fans
Ive read many post-apocalyptic stories, but this is the first pre-apocalyptic book Ive encountered! And Bear does a very good job.
Written in 1987 and set in the mid 90s, a strange object appears in the American desert resembling a volcano cone, and next to it is found a strange dying alien, The alien speaks English and has a message for Earth: "I'm afraid I have bad news".
Later a second cone is found in Australia but this time mechanical beings, robots, appear around it and they appear benevolen
Jeremy
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Greg Bear, Greg Bear Greg Bear.... Each time I begin reading a Greg Bear story I find myself asking why. Bear's writing style is more than a touch ponderous. It is not bad just predictable. Setting. Character. Plot. Next chapter and away we go again.

I know why this story is written this way. Bear is an idea guy. He is a hard science fiction writer, they are all about the idea. Bear has tons of ideas that he wanted to put into this book. To keep one character from being the mouth piece of these
Patrick Gibson
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
In 1996, Jupiter’s sixth moon Europa suddenly vanishes. The media plays the disappearing act for a few weeks, but as usual fades from their blip screen as they believe the public is apathetic towards some obscure moon. Scientists come up with numerous theories, but no one knows what really happened. Most astronomers remain astounded that a relatively large object can go missing.

In Death Valley, three Texas geologists find what seems as the first error of US Geological Survey charts they have ev
Tony
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Another "golden oldie" of the SF genre, and part of my quest to read all past Hugo winners. This was a disappointment. Touted as "literary SF", my expectations were high. Unfortunately, those who made such statements must spend more time with science fiction than with literature. The author's prose is flat and dull, with only a few sentences here and there that shne. The characters are well developed (to a painful degree), but in a spoon-feeding manner, which I can't stand. Furthermore, thought ...more
Shari
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It's been a while since I last read a book by Bear. I still remember enjoying Darwin's Radio and Eon when I read them years ago. (Bears is one of the writers who made me hooked on science fiction.) Thus, I'm glad when I start reading his works again I picked a novel that I found equally exciting. In this book, Bear kept his narrative focused in spite of the global setting. Alien invasion is often - in my reading experience at least - expounded at the expense of the characters. I'm glad Bear gave ...more
Gendou
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This book revels in doom and gloom. The characters putz around while the Earth is destroyed by an unstoppable enemy from space. It's not only ultimately depressing, but terribly frustrating because the aliens which do make contact with the humans are, until the very end, just a bunch of fakes. Bear looses this reader's confidence as the unnecessary plot twists mount. The characters aren't bad, and the settings (including Yosemite) are neat. But the book is missing the capstone holding the plot t ...more
Allan Fisher
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-sci-fi
One of the best Hard Sci-Fi books I have had the pleasure of reading. Strong on ideas, possibly at the expense of characterisation, although this never deterred me. This was read in the Eighties...

After a second read twenty five years later the story was a lot different to what my memory thought it was. However that said it is still great and apart from a touch of editing here and there still one of my favourite sci-fi books.

For some strange reason I always remember a dying alien in a spacecraf
Jacob
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Well worth your time! It's not often that a SciFi written in the 80's and set in the 90's is still approachable and believable now but this book pulled it off. One of the best end of the world/first contact stories you'll read and full of characters you'll care about.
Aydin Turgay
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW.
Imagine if someone rewrote the first twenty pages of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (without the humour), but expanded it to an epic, hard sci-fi story with multiple characters, similar in tone and scale to Stephen King's The Stand, while written in the techno-thriller style and pace of Michael Chrichton.

I'm not a big sci-fi reader, but I'm really interested to read more of Greg Bear.
Dean Henderson
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this intriguing but ultimately unsatisfing. The description of the destruction was to clinical for me.
Guru
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This my first Greg Bear book. Incidentally, I was encouraged to pick up a Greg Bear after finding an oddly placed reference to him in Dan Simmon's "Flashback". Bear, by reputation, is one of the well respected "hard" sci-fi authors that dominated the genre in the 80s and 90s, with likes of Ben Bova, Larry Niven & Stephen Baxter. "The Forge of God" is considered to be Bear's one of Bear's best.
In "The Forge of God", Bear gives a slight twist to the "invasion of Earth" theme. In 1996 (the nov
Banner
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As I was reading this book there were times I wanted to give it a five star and other times only a one star, so I settled on three. As far as writing style and characterization I give it a 5. This is especially note worthy when you consider the number of characters that are developed. When you get to the last 100 pages, clear your schedule because you will not want to quit reading. I'm writing this after staying up till after midnight reading (I have to be at work in a few minutes...agggg).

It's
Chris
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great, hard sci-fi depiction of first contact and the end of the world. Bear manages to juggle a few dozen characters with a reasonable amount of individuality and personality. (hard sci-fi never is actually character driven) Watching the world end in a detailed and (what seemed to me, at least) realistic fashion was disturbingly thrilling. I plan on reading the sequel.
Devin
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Greg Bear can tell a page-turner of a story - and is one of the best at this - this novel hasn't aged terribly well. I enjoyed the thrill ride and cringed at some of the clunkier, cold-war inspired moments that felt way out of scale with the planetary dimensions of this story.
Erik Graff
Oct 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bear fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I first read Bear in Fantasy & Science Fiction, a subscription to which Rick Strong had given me. This was the first of his novels which I read intentionally. There may have been others, but normally I'd put away science fiction novels without much, if any, attention to author identities.
  • Encounter with Tiber
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Mother of Storms
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • Footfall
  • Justice and Her Brothers
  • Shadrach in the Furnace
  • Moonfall
  • Assemblers of Infinity
  • The Blackcollar (Blackcollar, #1)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...

Forge of God (2 books)
  • Anvil of Stars (Forge of God, #2)
“We've been sitting in our tree chirping like foolish birds for over a century now, wondering why no other birds answered. The galactic skies are full of hawks, that's why. Planetisms that don't know enough to keep quiet, get eaten.” 3 likes
“From horizon to horizon the sky was filled with stars to within a few degrees of a fresh sliver of moon, a tiny thing lost in the yawn of night.” 2 likes