Start by marking “Four Beasts in One: The Homo-Cameleopard” as Want to Read:
Four Beasts in One: The Homo-Cameleopard

Four Beasts in One: The Homo-Cameleopard

2.45  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
C&C Web Press brings you from our short story series, Four Beasts in One by classic Romantic/Gothic author Edgar Allan Poe. Poe is considered by many to be the father of the Romantic Gothic Literary movement and he wrote over 70 short stories, all of which are more popular today than when he originally wrote them.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published March 1836)

To ask other readers questions about Four Beasts in One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Beasts in One

A.N. Mignan
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
mmm, did I miss something? or is it one of those boring short stories any prolific author must have in his Complete Works.
Sam
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SIK Book Reviews
I really don't have much at all to say about this one. I mean, it was very, very short. If it wasn't for this Poe Challenge, I wouldn't be writing anything down at all.

This story was definitely unique. But, I have to say I was rather bored throughout the story. It may be because it was so short and sometimes I need a bit to get into a story, or maybe it was just boring.

It was kind of like jumping into the middle of a story. Like a scene out of a book or something.

I'm not sure there was a point
Avel Rudenko
excerpt verbatim:

Who is king but Epiphanes?
Say—do you know?
Who is king but Epiphanes?
Bravo!—bravo!
There is none but Epiphanes,
No—there is none:
So tear down the temples,
And put out the sun!
Michael Sorbello
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A fairly entertaining satire about a tyrannical ruler who has his people rightfully turn on him and corner him into a series of strange and humorous events.
David Wright
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Poe has written a story that obviously has greater meaning and hidden depths here that I just don't understand. Taken at face value, the ruler mistreats his subjects until they ultimately turn on him and he flees so quickly that he wins an Olympic foot race. Fairly humorous, but not a parody that I have any familiarity with.
Jenna
Boring, but perhaps because this story was only amusing to the people that understood the autocracies of the French and understood the jokes about 19th century rulers and Alexander the Great.
Ryan McKenzie
Ummm....?? I'm not sure what to make of this one.
Saurabh
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Weird but enjoyable. The description by Poe is, as usual, vivid. You feel as if you are walking in the city and can hear the babel of sounds.
The revelation that the King is a camelopard comes as a surprise and then you can't help but chuckle at what follows. The verses in between sung in praise of the King are nice. Overall, weird. But good.
Steph
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
'Let us suppose, gentle reader, that it is now the year of the world three thousand eight hundred and thirty, and let us, for a few minutes, imagine ourselves at that most grotesque habitation of man...'
Natalie
Feb 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I literally have no idea what I just read. Words were swimming by and nothing was going in. It was so BORING. And RIDICULOUS. Ridonkulus, really. Just thinking about it makes me feel bored. I would recommend NOT reading this short story. It's totally pointless and dumb. Bad form, Poe, bad form.
Michael
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
He does such an amazing job instilling a sense of wonder on these scenes, arrgh, I was so upset when it was over! I wanted to find out what happens at the Hippodrome!

Original Publication March, 1836
Ebster Davis
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The future is weird.

I don't even know what a cameleopard is supposed to look like. Does it talk or is it more of a figurehead?
Abby
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This is an amusing little tale. It is funny think of a king being turned into a Cameleopard. Then wackiness ensues. I am not sure what the point of the tale was but it was charming.
Joe
Jul 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
weird and kind of funny. A quick read...I read it while eating dinner at Kabuki yesterday.
S. Pame Patelli