Start by marking “Nemesis: The True Story of Aristotle Onassis, Jackie O, and the Love Triangle That Brought Down the Kennedys” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  635 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
A longtime investigative journalist uncovers one of the great untold stories of twentieth-century international intrigue, and the secrets it has held until now.

Shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis and Bobby Kennedy, two of the world′s richest and most powerful men, disliked one another from the moment they first met. Over several decades, their intense mutual hatred only grew
Published April 26th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nemesis

Elaine
Not really sure what to think of this book. It reads like a trashy, sordid Hollywood movie. I know that with great wealth comes great power but some of the things that these people did were beyond comprehension. The allegations made here were shocking and although I am not sure what to believe anymore, it certainly shows JFK but especially Jackie and Bobby Kennedy, along with some others, in a totally different light. I found myself reading on in a kind of fascinated horror not sure of what was ...more
Kate Casey
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Vanity Fair is my favorite magazines. This book is like the best Vanity Fair you could imagine. It has insanely interesting insight into the relationships between Jackie and Ari Onassis, Lee Radziwell, and Robert F. Kennedy.
Aimeslee
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this down til I finished it. This is a MUST READ for anyone who was alive in Nov. of 1963 and can remember what became the Camelot myth. As a longtime student of it all, this book sure does fill in holes and explains a few things better than anything we were spun at the time. I wouldn't doubt it one bit or be surprised if it were true. But you don't even have to decide in order to enjoy this thriller. Well worth the cost and time.

Random observation: I read Christopher Kennedy Lawfo
Michael
I managed to keep breathing through the stale cigar smoke that pervades the book. But halfway through I reached for my asthma pump and went outside. There was no incentive to return.

I'm ordinarily no fan of gossip. In my quest to discover whether 'good guys' finish last, I've wanted to know more about the commercial life of Aristotle Onassis. There is not much in print; even less in electronic format. So I reluctantly settled for "Nemesis'.

I'm not sure what to make of it: schlock, true life melo
kathi
Aug 05, 2010 rated it liked it
In my early 20's Bobby Kennedy was a symbol of all that was good in my world. When he was assassinated I became disillusioned with politics, government, etc...I lost interest. His death had a profound effect on me. Reading this book about Onassis and the Kennedys went very slowly for me and I was going to put it down unfinished several times but I am glad I didn't.

I feel naive when I say it is hard for me to believe there are people that are so basically evil, so controlling, so power hungry tha
Ilze
May 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This ±300 page document is an amazing solution to a 40 year old conundrum. Evans manages to unravel a chunk of history no-one would have thought existed, unless s/he was Greek! Money, sex, greed, it’s all there and what makes it even more intriguing is that it’s not part of a fictive author’s imagination – it’s real. It could’ve formed part of any CNN report on the Kennedy assassination, should CNN have existed in the 60s. Was the assassination of Bobby Kennedy really political? Did the Palestin ...more
Deborah
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
I'd actually give it a 2.5, I don't want to go overboard and say "I liked it", but it was definitely interesting and better than just "OK."
Quite an eye-opener, especially for us who were children during these days. Of course we had no sense of the scandal and intrigue, but suffice it to say I was at least surprised by the claims that Aristotle Onassis was the money behind the assassination of RFK.
I actually quite pitied all those poor rich people who hopped from continent to continent, bed to b
Paula
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this sensational book after seeing an art exhibit about Jackie's dark days living on the Island of Scorpio with Aristotle Onassis. Written by a respected British journalist, this book chronicles the long relationship Onassis had with the Kennedy family, especially Bobby Kennedy, whom he disliked intensely, and tells the story of Onassis' affair and subsequent marriage to Jackie. The book, well researched with an abundance of references, presents sordid details about Onassis' political and ...more
Lisa
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is quite trashy, but OH SO DELICIOUS! Perhaps much is speculation, but golly, the author certainly makes it believable. I couldn't put this book down.
Richel
Jun 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-f-kennedy
This is a tablod material. I don't believe what were written about Jackie. This book is aimed at nothing but to blemish the First Lady.

I don't recommend the book to others.
Marcella Leite
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simplesmente maravilhoso.
História, romance, guerras, dinheiro, poder e disputas.

Mal posso esperar para ler de novo.

Erin West
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Very interesting, gossipy read. I had NO IDEA how convaluted the whole Kennedy lifestyle and how black the deeds by powerful men and women.
Mary Karpel-Jergic
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A real journalist's journey into the murky waters of power, privilege and money. Leave your morals behind whilst you visit the glimpses of the lives of both the Kennedy and Onassis families. It's difficult to find anyone to like and is quite shocking in places but it is well researched and the author keeps you turning the pages.

If it was fiction I would say it was too far fetched but this hangs together disturbingly likely. It was like revisiting the history that I'd been fed around events at th
Tusk
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This twisted little piece of non-fiction is impossible to put down long enough to make a sandwich. Peter Evans has a certain penchant for the sexual appetites of the Kennedys and anyone else that crossed their bedrooms, and according to him there were several, and he, um, lays it down in fine style.

The real expose, of course, is of Onassis, once the wealthiest and most powerful man in the world. I suppose to find yourself in that position would incur a number of odd wants and pleasures, but woul
Hillary
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Star as whole/ 4 stars for historical info

If it weren't for local book club read, I wouldn't have read it. The person who nominated Nemesis, kept talking about the sex in the book. True enough there were lots of "Enquirer" matereials... who slept with whom. That said, I enjoyed the historical aspect of the book. The author documented and footnoted everything. Loved the tidbit info added in the footnotes to compliment the history in the book.

In fact I talked to my 85 yo father about this bo
Michael
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was an eye-opener--mostly because it revealed that my boyfriend has the same taste in books as my mother. Trashy or not, true or not, if you own a copy of Nemesis or Jackie O! or any of these sort of books, you are apparently my kind of people.

I'm sure there's a name for this sort of literature; it's not quite the investigative, journalistic work it purports itself to be, and it's more than an obviously fictionalized narrative. Facts and names and dates and names of participants are re
Yana Shevkirova
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't say it's a mind-blowing book, since all the dirt is somehow expected, given the nature of politics. It is a very well written account of what was going on and if all of it is true, I personally feel sorry for all people involved. It's definitely a tragedy, one which I reckon was reinforced by the intricacy of our human nature, rather than money or hatred alone. Definitely dramatic, but not depressing, full of facts, yet not overwhelming to read, this book catches the attention from th ...more
Kylie Towers
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lots of soapy dish on the Kennedys and Ari Onassis. As a Royal watcher in England, to me the next best thing in the US is the Kennedys.

Recommended by a friend who is a political historian at the Smithsonian and a total research hound. I figure if she thinks it checks out, I might as well believe every little scandalous tidbit too!

Have Google handy, there's lots referenced in there about U.S. History that I didn't remember.

Spoiler - The Kennedy women didn't just sit around while the Kennedy men
Constance
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Disappointed at best. Once again I have stated that I owe it to the book to finish it.
Peter Evans introduced so many characters that I'm sure were all relevant, but it was far too confusing to keep up with with out a score card. Some chapters seemed repetitive only to be being repeated by different characters.

I'm sure there was a tremendous amount of research with the book, I still find it some what boring with way too many parts repeating the same story from someone else point of view.

Happy I r
Janice
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! For anyone who remembers when Jackie and Ari got married, this is a must read. This book was banned in the United States for many years and once you read, you will know why. Revelations galore about what was really going on with Jackie, JFK, RFK, Marilyn, Ari, Lee. Mindblowing! Once you read this book, there is absolutely no doubt who was behind RFK's assassination. I am damn sure that is why this book was banned in the US.
Raye Ann
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-like
Onassis was a self indulged man. The relationship between Jackie Kennedy and Onassis was a bitter backlash to John Kennedy according to the information given by the author. If indeed Onassis was behind the assassination plot of Robert Kennedy then our government did a disservice to the Kennedy's as well as the American public. A lot of the information was very confusing involving illegal businesses with other governments and individuals all resulting in acquisitioning monies for Onassis.
S.
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to S. by: my mother
My mom had this along when she visited me; otherwise it never would have occured to me to read it. It's very tabloid, but also illuminating in its way. I really don't put any trust in anyone's theories on the motives behind the murders of the Kennedys, but what this book tells you about the filthy greed of the rich is sure to sicken you. You'll find it hard to admire Jackie O. anymore, if you did.
Sue
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I didn't know that Ari Onassis was involved in much more than shipping & dating famous gals. He heavily invested in Haiti & Monaco trying to own these countries; wanted to be the sole shipper of Mid-East oil to the world; had an intense hatred of Bobby Kennedy & apparently married Jackie to land an American princess so the Americans would back off him. His treatment of Maria Callas was cruel & he was cruel & manipulative as a lover, father, businessman. The kind of book you c ...more
Tea Garner
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-books, 2017
Juicy account of the rivalry between Onassis and RFK and how Jackie O fits in all of this. This book is a train wreck and I do not mean that in a bad way. It is gossipy and reads like a Jackie Collins novel but it was also fun and jaw dropping. If you are a serious history buff or a Kennedy-phile then this book is not for you. If you like your history that reads like a tabloid and you don't take the information too seriously, then this fun book is perfect for you.
Lucas Lanza
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-notch
"O negócio do adultério", diria ele mais tarde a um amigo, "é que nunca se deve envolver com uma mulher com menos a perder do que você".

Um dos melhores livros que já li em toda minha vida! Sem exageros! Um prato cheio para quem curte histórias reais. Tem intriga, romance, política, celebridades, dinheiro e assassinatos! É surreal saber que essas pessoas tiveram tanto poder num tempo nem tão distante. Leitura essencial para qualquer estilo de leitor!
Riley
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a dark and tangled web among the powerful. Sex and business scandal galore. Here's just one example: "Later, (her old friend Baron George) de Mohrenschildt's friendship with Jackie Kennedy caused a furor when it was discovered that he had been Lee Harvey Oswald's closest friend in Dallas in the months preceeding John Kennedy's assassination." p.138. see p .133-141
Marge Holt
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a "can't put it down" book!!

I thought I knew just about all written about the disastrous coupling of these two but, BOY was I horribly wrong!! What a fast-paced read which was highly interesting and intelligently written. Kept me enthralled, made me angry and yet, sad. I soon began to despise the plastic harriden and yet tried to be compassionate
Alicia Devero
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Well written, fascinating and definitely engaging story behind Onassis and Kennedy’s animosities. And Jackie Kennedy’s materialism that makes her just another white for money is simply revolting. I will never stop wondering why America cherishes the cult of Kennedy’s when they always were as big of scumbags as any other criminal - including Onassis ...
Karol
Jan 29, 2009 rated it liked it
I learned that there was alot more than greed and decadence going on in the Onassis / Kennedy story. Alot of obvious research done by the author to expose the most shocking event of the relationship. Understandably those interviewed felt free to talk about it since the guilty parties have since died. I recommend it if you enjoy reading variety.
Rosa
Feb 27, 2007 rated it liked it
I was thinking about mom while I read this book. She admires the Kennedy family so much, and if only she knew what truly went on behind the doors, I think she'd flip or die of broken heart. But I've known for quite awhile, a human being is a human being. And the richer the more likely to do crazier things because money is a big enabler.
  • The Kennedy Men: 1901-1963
  • JFK: Reckless Youth
  • All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy
  • The Kennedys: An American Drama
  • What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Mona Lisa in Camelot: Jacqueline Kennedy and the True Story of the Painting's High-Stakes Journey to America
  • Best Evidence
  • Sweet Caroline: Last Child of Camelot
  • Jackie Oh!
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
  • Plausible Denial: Was the CIA Involved in the Assassination of JFK?
  • Mary's Mosaic: The CIA Conspiracy to Murder John F. Kennedy, Mary Pinchot Meyer, and Their Vision for World Peace
  • The Kennedy Wit: The Humor and Wisdom of John F. Kennedy