Start by marking “The First and Last Freedom” as Want to Read:
The First and Last Freedom

The First and Last Freedom

Krishnamurti is a leading spiritual teacher of our century. In The First and Last Freedom he cuts away symbols and false associations in the search for pure truth and perfect freedom. Through discussions on suffering, fear, gossip, sex and other topics, Krishnamurti’s quest becomes the readers, an undertaking of tremendous significance.
Published March 26th 1975 by HarperOne (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The First and Last Freedom, please sign up.
Sandeep Richard, you raised a very important question, and it shows that you are on right path!! It is a pathless path - as Zen describes it. There is a book…moreRichard, you raised a very important question, and it shows that you are on right path!! It is a pathless path - as Zen describes it. There is a book "Pathless path" by Osho too. In short as per my experience and information - Path because you have found home i.e. destiny of every human being. Pathless because you have neither traveled nor reached because existence was, is and will remain available to everyone, every moment only our eyes are not able to see it. So we just need to bring back our capacity to see our self, in present and we may find it in this very moment itself. It may happen in this very moment, through witnessing consciousness and level eagerness. (less)

Zane Chleboun
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Out of every "spiritual" book I have read, this one takes the cake. Krishnamurti takes a more philosophical and psychological approach to why we're miserable. Unlike most other books, Krishnamurti doesn't shove pseudo-wisdom in your face and tell you what you need to do to attain enlightenment. He makes rational observations. The result is similar to reading a Dostoevsky novel. You will notice things about yourself that you absolutely hate. You will become more in touch with yourself - which in ...more
Monica Perez
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Several years ago, I came to the conclusion that no form of government could limit itself sufficiently and therefore there is no hope that a geographic monopoly on the use of force with the right to demand taxes under threat of violence (ie., government) could result in a free and just society. For example, I could see the futility of restoring the US Constitution since that is the document that led to this state in actuality, whether the document is ideal or flawed. I then came across a book ca ...more
Theresa
Jun 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Someone once gave me this book for no reason known to me. Then began the madness and transformation of my life.
david
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this Indian philosopher. A nugget from him;

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
 Aesha
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كون أنّ عنوان الكتاب ومحتواه، متطابقان تمامًا؛ سبب وجيهٌ لأمنح الكتاب خمس نجمات بل ألفٍ من خمس.
يا له من كتاب! فيه تلتقي بك. من غير شائبة، تتعرفك، تعرفك، وتستكشفك. ومن غير أن تقتحمك.

يناقش في هذا الكتاب كريشنا مورتي موضوعات متنوعة تشمل المعاناة، الخوف، الثرثرة، الوحدة والجنس وغيرها من الموضوعات الكثير، على نحو مختلف تمامًا عما ندعوه بنقاش. إذ أن قراءة هذا الكتاب بمثابة جلسة نقية تلتقي فيها بروحك على نحو لم يسبق لك وأن التقيت بها.
إنه كتابٌ محمل بالطمأنينة، كيف لا وهو من أولى الكتب التي أقرأها ذات
Ameera
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
خلاصة فكر الفيلسوف الهندي جودو كريشنامورتي، يقع في جزئين، الجزء الأول، يفكك فيه معظم المفاهيم والأنماط التفكيرية، ويطرح موضوعات الفرد والمجتمع، البحث الوجودي، الفعل، منابع الفكر.. وغيره.
أما الجزء الثاني فهو أهم الأسئلة التي أجاب عنها كريشنامورتي في لقاءاته مع مريديه.
هذا الكتاب للدراسة، والتأمل، ويقرأ على مهل.
Mun
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When my mentor recommended that I read Jiddu Krishnamurti's works, I thought they would be Deepak Chopra-esque pseudo-profound books, and so it was with a sense of dread that I picked up "The First and Last Freedom" (or in my case, downloaded the PDF). Instead, I was taken aback by the rational introspection the author presents. This is a book that has the potential to be life-changing. Everything within it is sensible and even obvious, and many times I found Krishnamurti completing thoughts tha ...more
James
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In the Spring of every year, Krishnamurti would come speak under a large oak in a quiet grove near Ojai, California. We would take a blanket, spread it out on the grass, and listen. This book will give readers an idea of his thinking, but it was his silence that really penetrated and made us intrigued to know what he was saying.
Aurelio del Portillo
Lo pongo como ejemplo, en representación de todo lo que he leído de este maestro. Es mucho más que un libro y representa para mí la esencia del aprendizaje definitivo. Cualquiera de las palabras de Krishnamurti abre directamente en la mente y en el pecho el espacio de la verdad.
Michael
“The self is a problem that thought cannot solve.”

Reading Krishnamurti is often a disorienting experience. How to account for this?

One way is his writing/speaking style. The diction is as simple as can be, but the syntax is distinctively circular–in quoting him I often found myself glueing with ellipses fractions of multiple sentences. It’s almost as if the simplicity of his message undermines our linear way of understanding. Part of this is perhaps the fact that Krishnamurti is asking as much
Alex Kartelias
Jun 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy
I was reading this book with so much interest for the first 160 pages or so but, when i came to realize the totality of his belief- that the truth is a pathless land- it hit me: why would something entirely incommunicable be written in a book? That's where Krisnamurti's BELIEFS really fell apart for me.

I'd hand it to him, he speaks extremely clear and has a very sharp intellect. But, his assumptions, generalized conclusions and contradictions are enormous when one looks carefully. For example, h
Sách Chuyền Tay
Vẫn đang đọc rất chậm ...
-Sky-
Sean Goh
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Challenging? Yes, in more ways than one. He repeats himself ad nauseam, to the point that the second half of the book uncannily resembles the first half. But the points he raises do challenge one's world view.

_____________
Every system is a standing temptation to take symbols too seriously, to pay more attention to words than to the realities for which the words are supposed to stand.

To understand the misery and confusion that exists within ourselves and the world, we must first find clarity wit
Sanish
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
If you are familiar with "zen" then this book is a pure classic in that genus. To be more precise, this is not even a book in the strictest of senses; perhaps a series of discourse on wide range of topics including self-knowledge, awareness, desire, relationship, time, present-crisis, loneliness, suffering, sex, simplicity, meaning of life, transformation, and so on. Nonetheless, I got bored continuing from this subject matter to that not because the intrinsic contents were less appealing, but b ...more
Justo Montibeller
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
La libertad primera y última es una recopilación de charlas que dio Jiddu Krishnamurti a lo largo de su vida sobre distintos temas existenciales; el amor, el sexo, la religion, el poder, el miedo, el deseo, el sufrimiento, la verdad, la libertad, el pensamiento, el conocimiento, la sencillez, el ego, el odio, la comprensión, entre muchos otros.

Si hay algún líder espiritual al que admire, ese es Jiddu Krishnamurti, su filosofía me parece de lo más lógica y realista. Jiddu no nos viene a dar proce
Chris
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Krishnamurti is incredible. I read this shortly after reading 'Freedom from the Known.' Both books are more compilations of his speeches and writings than books written in book format, and thus overlap a lot and cover very similar themes. 'Freedom from the Known' is more of a direct dive into Krishnamurti's philosophy, whereas 'First and Last Freedom' half deep dive on his philosophy and half in the format of Krishnamurti answering very practical daily life questions.

On Krishnamurti's philosophy
Sudeep
"What you understand leaves no mark"

To meet every challenge fresh and without preconceived notions - this is the theme central to Krishnamurti's philosophy. It is a very powerful idea, one which we know works, and is central to spiritual gurus (like Osho, Thich Nhat Hanh, Eckhart Tolle) whose ideas are based around and constitute Eastern philosophy.
The method of tireless scrutiny he dictates is painfully honest. It requires great focus to develop such persistence in inspecting one's actions and
Squatting Erudite
I never read anything by Krishnamurti prior to picking up this book, I only watched some of his video recordings. I found him illuminating and precise, so I wanted to read an actual book.

I enjoyed the first couple of chapters, but then I started to realize that Krishnamurti is full of contradictions, even in the chapter on contradictions. They started piling up and I just had to drop the book halfway through, I couldn't stand reading it any further.

Obvious contradictions aside, he tends to prese
Reem Meshkawi
Feb 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
أفكار معقدة و عصية التنفيذ ... عرض الكاتب مجموعة كبيرة من أفكار غريبة توصل إلى السلام الداخلي و الخارجي برأيه و لكنه لم يوضح الكيفية لتطبيق هذه الأفكار على أرض الواقع و لم يذكر أية أمثلة واقعية تدعم أفكاره و تجعلها قريبة من المتلقي .... لم يعجبني الكتاب كمضمون فقد وجدته خال من أي قيمة أو محتوى قيم كما أن الأفكار التي طرحت برأيي غير منطقية و غير عقلية ... يحضرني في هذه اللحظة كتاب للدالاي لاما ( The art of happiness ) كتاب رائع و يستحق القراءة لغناه بأفكار عالمية و متحضرة .
Latifa Kudsi
Feb 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
اتعبني هذا الكتاب...
خدعني ، جذبني ، ثم مالبث ان بدأ يلقي بأفكاري هنا وهناك... يسلط الضوء على المشكلة ، يضع حلاً ، ثم ينقضه... يدخل لأعماق الذات ، وفجأة يرمق منها كما يرمق السهم من القوس ...
لا أُخفي متعتي أثناء قراءته ، لكنه برأيي لا يستحق العناء في قراءته..

كان عنوان سرده " التكرار في الأفكار "
Wil
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knishnamurti concisely expounds on living truthfully with oneself in relationship through self-study. It is what it is: “It cannot be taught in books. It has to be found from moment to moment, in the smile, in the tear, under the dead leaf, in the vagrant thoughts, in the fullness of love.”
Reem
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رغم اختلاف افكاري كلياً مع ماذكر لكن الكاتب له فلسفته واستمتعت جداً بالكتاب اعادت نظره بالاشياء ومفهومها لي عودة ان شاء الله لقرائته مرة اخرى ..
Will Moritz
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reconnected to Buddhism/Eastern philosophy reading this book. Also bookmarked pretty much every page, so hopefully I can provide synthesis here, rather than just copy stuff.
An important aspect of Krishnamurti's point is that we cannot arrive to truth/enlightenment/understanding/happiness through thought. With that being the case, you could argue that there's little point in trying to synthesize his points. Because in writing this summary up, I'm trying to become something, trying to understand s
Fouad maghamez
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"...You see a lovely sunset , a beautiful tree in a field and when you first look at it, you enjoy it completely, wholly; but you go back to it with the desire to enjoy it again. What happens when you go back with the desire to enjoy it? There is no enjoyment, because it is the memory of yesterday's sunset that is now making you return that is pushing, urging you to enjoy. Yesterday there was no memory, only a spontaneous appreciation, a direct response; today you are desirous of recapturing the ...more
Maroun
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, but I read this too early. I'll come back to it in due time.
Harry McInley
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Summary:

All in all, an abstract book and way of thinking, certainly not for most people. Not interested in science or nitty gritty facts, Krishnamurti is more interested in expressing his experiences, which can at times be pretty difficult to comprehend. In saying that, there were moments in the book where certain things rang true so here are my main 3 lessons of his philosophy outlined in the book.

Lesson 1) it is the responsibility of every individual to bring about a better society by improvi
Tim
Hoewel het een spiritueel werk betreft, deze Q&A, is het voor iedereen, van iedere overtuiging, opgesteld, want Krishnamurti beantwoordt de 38 vragen op een filosofische/psychologische manier. Hij antwoordt niet altijd rechtstreeks op elke vraag, maar gaat de vraag eens omdraaien om het gekozen onderwerp vanuit een andere invalshoek te benaderen om zo tot een antwoord te komen. Het zou anders te gemakkelijk zijn en dat is helemaal niet de bedoeling.

De bedoeling is om de lezer (of de vraagst
Safae
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy

عندما سمعت اسم الكاتب وموطنه، ظننت أن الكتاب سيكون روحاني ومليء بثقافة الهندوس ورهبان التبت، بدلا من ذلك فوجئت بالتفكير العقلاني الذي يقدمه المؤلف. يأخذنا كريشنامورتي بمقاربته الفلسفية والنفسية لشرح لماذا أصبحنا بؤساء. فعكس معظم الكتب الأخرى، لا يدفع كريشنامورتي الحكمة الزائفة في وجهك بل يخبرنا بما تحتاج إلى القيام به لتحقيق التغيير. فهو يقدم لك ملاحظات عقلانية، والنتيجة مشابهة لقراءة رواية من روايات دوستويفسكي، فهو يُشرح النفس البشرية ويجعلك ترى المساوئ
Víctor Galán
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primera experiencia con Krishnamurti y espero que no sea la última. Su visión de que cada persona tiene su propia y única verdad, supone un concepto tan llamativo como radical en su planteamiento y teoría. Para los tiempos modernos "La libertad primera y última" supone una obra completamente rupturista con las grandes teorías filosóficas aceptadas por grandes empresas y gobiernos. Según Jiddu, el mundo actual necesita una revolución, pero dicha revolución solo puede surgir con una revolución int ...more
  • A New Model of the Universe
  • Magic and Mystery in Tibet
  • Journey of Awakening: A Meditator's Guidebook
  • Mulla Nasruddin
  • The Life Divine
Jiddu Krishnamurti was born on 11 May 1895 in Madanapalle, a small town in south India. He and his brother were adopted in their youth by Dr Annie Besant, then president of the Theosophical Society. Dr Besant and others proclaimed that Krishnamurti was to be a world teacher whose coming the Theosophists had predicted. To prepare the world for this coming, a world-wide organization called the Order ...more
“It is truth that liberates, not your effort to be free.” 478 likes
“Because we want to be inwardly secure, we are constantly seeking methods and means for this security, and thereby we create authority, the worship of another, which destroys comprehension, that spontaneous tranquility of mind in which alone there can be a state of creativeness.” 10 likes