Start by marking “The First and Last Freedom” as Want to Read:
The First and Last Freedom

The First and Last Freedom

Krishnamurti is a leading spiritual teacher of our century. In The First and Last Freedom he cuts away symbols and false associations in the search for pure truth and perfect freedom. Through discussions on suffering, fear, gossip, sex and other topics, Krishnamurti’s quest becomes the readers, an undertaking of tremendous significance.
Published March 26th 1975 by HarperOne (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The First and Last Freedom, please sign up.
Sandeep Richard, you raised a very important question, and it shows that you are on right path!! It is a pathless path - as Zen describes it. There is a book …moreRichard, you raised a very important question, and it shows that you are on right path!! It is a pathless path - as Zen describes it. There is a book "Pathless path" by Osho too. In short as per my experience and information - Path because you have found home i.e. destiny of every human being. Pathless because you have neither traveled nor reached because existence was, is and will remain available to everyone, every moment only our eyes are not able to see it. So we just need to bring back our capacity to see our self, in present and we may find it in this very moment itself. It may happen in this very moment, through witnessing consciousness and level eagerness. (less)

Start your review of The First and Last Freedom
Zane Chleboun
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Out of every "spiritual" book I have read, this one takes the cake. Krishnamurti takes a more philosophical and psychological approach to why we're miserable. Unlike most other books, Krishnamurti doesn't shove pseudo-wisdom in your face and tell you what you need to do to attain enlightenment. He makes rational observations. The result is similar to reading a Dostoevsky novel. You will notice things about yourself that you absolutely hate. You will become more in touch with yourself - which in ...more
Alok Mishra
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Really, last freedom?
Well, reading books like these certainly help you understand different perspectives on 'your' life but they do lead you into more and more conundrum and you become uncertain about yourself and your actions.
Why does one seek freedom? To be free from something that either enslaves you or compels you to do something wrong - morally or prima-facie. However, to seek last freedom is to liberate yourself from the cycle of birth and death (Gita). Sri Krishna told that you can do it
Monica Perez
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Several years ago, I came to the conclusion that no form of government could limit itself sufficiently and therefore there is no hope that a geographic monopoly on the use of force with the right to demand taxes under threat of violence (ie., government) could result in a free and just society. For example, I could see the futility of restoring the US Constitution since that is the document that led to this state in actuality, whether the document is ideal or flawed. I then came across a book ca ...more
david
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this Indian philosopher. A nugget from him;

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
Triseugeny
Jun 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Someone once gave me this book for no reason known to me. Then began the madness and transformation of my life.
James
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In the Spring of every year, Krishnamurti would come speak under a large oak in a quiet grove near Ojai, California. We would take a blanket, spread it out on the grass, and listen. This book will give readers an idea of his thinking, but it was his silence that really penetrated and made us intrigued to know what he was saying.
MM
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When my mentor recommended that I read Jiddu Krishnamurti's works, I thought they would be Deepak Chopra-esque pseudo-profound books, and so it was with a sense of dread that I picked up "The First and Last Freedom" (or in my case, downloaded the PDF). Instead, I was taken aback by the rational introspection the author presents. This is a book that has the potential to be life-changing. Everything within it is sensible and even obvious, and many times I found Krishnamurti completing thoughts tha ...more
Michael
“The self is a problem that thought cannot solve.”

Reading Krishnamurti is often a disorienting experience. How to account for this?

One way is his writing/speaking style. The diction is as simple as can be, but the syntax is distinctively circular–in quoting him I often found myself glueing with ellipses fractions of multiple sentences. It’s almost as if the simplicity of his message undermines our linear way of understanding. Part of this is perhaps the fact that Krishnamurti is asking as much
Alex Kartelias
Jun 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy
I was reading this book with so much interest for the first 160 pages or so but, when i came to realize the totality of his belief- that the truth is a pathless land- it hit me: why would something entirely incommunicable be written in a book? That's where Krisnamurti's BELIEFS really fell apart for me.

I'd hand it to him, he speaks extremely clear and has a very sharp intellect. But, his assumptions, generalized conclusions and contradictions are enormous when one looks carefully. For example, h
Sean Goh
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Challenging? Yes, in more ways than one. He repeats himself ad nauseam, to the point that the second half of the book uncannily resembles the first half. But the points he raises do challenge one's world view.

_____________
Every system is a standing temptation to take symbols too seriously, to pay more attention to words than to the realities for which the words are supposed to stand.

To understand the misery and confusion that exists within ourselves and the world, we must first find clarity wit
Chris
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Krishnamurti is incredible. I read this shortly after reading 'Freedom from the Known.' Both books are more compilations of his speeches and writings than books written in book format, and thus overlap a lot and cover very similar themes. 'Freedom from the Known' is more of a direct dive into Krishnamurti's philosophy, whereas 'First and Last Freedom' half deep dive on his philosophy and half in the format of Krishnamurti answering very practical daily life questions.

On Krishnamurti's philosophy
Chetan Narang
Uncle JK was, and in a way still is, a great teacher.
Sanish
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
If you are familiar with "zen" then this book is a pure classic in that genus. To be more precise, this is not even a book in the strictest of senses; perhaps a series of discourse on wide range of topics including self-knowledge, awareness, desire, relationship, time, present-crisis, loneliness, suffering, sex, simplicity, meaning of life, transformation, and so on. Nonetheless, I got bored continuing from this subject matter to that not because the intrinsic contents were less appealing, but b ...more
Sudeep
"What you understand leaves no mark"

To meet every challenge fresh and without preconceived notions - this is the theme central to Krishnamurti's philosophy. It is a very powerful idea, one which we know works, and is central to spiritual gurus (like Osho, Thich Nhat Hanh, Eckhart Tolle) whose ideas are based around and constitute Eastern philosophy.
The method of tireless scrutiny he dictates is painfully honest. It requires great focus to develop such persistence in inspecting one's actions and
Ivan Vuković
I never read anything by Krishnamurti prior to picking up this book, I only watched some of his video recordings. I found him illuminating and precise, so I wanted to read an actual book.

I enjoyed the first couple of chapters, but then I started to realize that Krishnamurti is full of contradictions, even in the chapter on contradictions. They started piling up and I just had to drop the book halfway through, I couldn't stand reading it any further.

Obvious contradictions aside, he tends to prese
jeremy bradner
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
i read this for a class and it was pretty revolutionary for me when i first read it and for a few years after. however, it turned me into a lazy and negative person. i mean, i know what he's saying about the bad side discipline...but sometimes a little self discipline is necessary. i remember a quote from here though on the chapter where he posed the question "what is the meaning of life" the response was: "to live."
Sandeep Saroha
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked the way he was giving the answers in the form of questions, like itn't it, thus encouraging the read to THINK himself...which is the most important thing. atleast in spiritual books. But i still have doubts. if mind, memory is really such an evil, why evolution, why the whole structure gave to humans?...just to cause him suffering? although very much spiritual, I still feels science give a better answer of that.
Wil
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knishnamurti concisely expounds on living truthfully with oneself in relationship through self-study. It is what it is: “It cannot be taught in books. It has to be found from moment to moment, in the smile, in the tear, under the dead leaf, in the vagrant thoughts, in the fullness of love.”
Avinash
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book influenced my thinking more than anything. But it might not be everyone's cup of chai. So before you start reading this book, a free bit of advice: get an introductory idea about Jiddu Krishnamurti and his school of thought.
Gouri Shankar
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
a lovely book with lot of interesting chapters such as "What are we seeking ?" .."Awareness"... ""The Function of the Mind ".......which is all original in nature .
Sunil Peesapati
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I felt that the book can be much more precise, without repeating the same thoughts in different ways. Had to skim through the pages very fast to understand what the author is basically trying to say.
Will Moritz
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reconnected to Buddhism/Eastern philosophy reading this book. Also bookmarked pretty much every page, so hopefully I can provide synthesis here, rather than just copy stuff.
An important aspect of Krishnamurti's point is that we cannot arrive to truth/enlightenment/understanding/happiness through thought. With that being the case, you could argue that there's little point in trying to synthesize his points. Because in writing this summary up, I'm trying to become something, trying to understand s
Fouad maghamez
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"...You see a lovely sunset , a beautiful tree in a field and when you first look at it, you enjoy it completely, wholly; but you go back to it with the desire to enjoy it again. What happens when you go back with the desire to enjoy it? There is no enjoyment, because it is the memory of yesterday's sunset that is now making you return that is pushing, urging you to enjoy. Yesterday there was no memory, only a spontaneous appreciation, a direct response; today you are desirous of recapturing the ...more
Maroun
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, but I read this too early. I'll come back to it in due time.
Bhakta Kishor
I am pleasantly surprised to not to have read his books before. He is an intellectual in his own way. You have to go through the book multiple times to understand it in complete sense. Once you start implementing his philosophy in real life, you will see the benefits. I can assure you on that. Overall, it is a great book.

Finally understood what true freedom of thought meant. Not the meme that's portrayed in media by conspiracy college students "THE MAN IS CONTROLLING YOU!!!" mantras. His philos
Li Yunzhe
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I finished reading this book 5 months ago.

He has rather mind-blowing ideas on human society and life. This book may interest you very much if you have little prior experiences in Buddhist philosophy or similar ideas. Although, his ideas were not entirely Buddhist.. (In fact, I guess J. Krishnamurti would not want me to label him as Buddhist or anything else) He was just like a seeker of truth, sharing his understanding of life, nature and human society. He did not tell you what you should do. He
Mallikarjun Yelameli
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jiddu Krishnamurty, one of the greatest philosopher. I have seen his many videos on youtube, which were quite impressive. Then I decided to read his book. Since in this, he had put his thoughts on various subjects of life, and many Q&A.

According J.K. truth cannot be found in any organized institution such as any religion nor in any guru. Truth can only be realized through self understanding.

Awareness, being watchful is the way of enlightenment . He says, 'Watch yourself, without any identifica
Nirmal Kumar
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
When I went through few pages of this book , some 1 1/2 years ago , I couldn't understand what the author was trying to convey , despite the simple vocabulary ; So out of patience I just closed it and placed it in my closet . I again started reading it some few weeks back , as a just-before-bed-time study , trying to decipher the meaning behind his sayings .

Still after reading it completely , may be I understood only around 50% of what he tried to convey . Basically , he just makes some few poi
Phil Calandra
Apr 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book simply did not resonate with me despite the numerous positive reviews written about it on amazon. Although it would appear that Krishnamurti's philosophy comes from the mold of the Advaita Vedenta Tradition, it appears that this book is less a spiritual analysis and more of a sociological, psychological and political study (as an example, I would refer the reader to chapter 10 in the author's discussion of War where he suggests to a bereaved mother who just lost a son in war that she s ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality
  • Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • Friendship with God: An Uncommon Dialogue
  • Krishna: The Man and his Philosophy
Jiddu Krishnamurti was born on 11 May 1895 in Madanapalle, a small town in south India. He and his brother were adopted in their youth by Dr Annie Besant, then president of the Theosophical Society. Dr Besant and others proclaimed that Krishnamurti was to be a world teacher whose coming the Theosophists had predicted. To prepare the world for this coming, a world-wide organization called the Order ...more

News & Interviews

“It is truth that liberates, not your effort to be free.” 518 likes
“Because we want to be inwardly secure, we are constantly seeking methods and means for this security, and thereby we create authority, the worship of another, which destroys comprehension, that spontaneous tranquility of mind in which alone there can be a state of creativeness.” 12 likes