Start by marking “Flower Garden” as Want to Read:
Flower Garden
Eve Bunting

Flower Garden

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  1,068 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
A little girl and father purchase "a garden" and board the bus to carry it home. The pansies, tulips, daffodils, geraniums, and daisies are hurriedly and lovingly planted in a window box, and the candles on the cake are lighted -- just as Mom walks in the door to find her daughter, her husband, and her birthday surprise.
Unknown Binding, 30 pages
Published January 1st 1994 by Scholastic Inc

To ask other readers questions about Flower Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flower Garden

Shanna Gonzalez
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
A very simple, beautifully illustrated story, told in gentle rhyme, of a young girl and her father embarking on a journey by bus to the grocery store to buy a window flower box. The purpose of the expedition is revealed when Mother walks in the door, carrying schoolbooks, to find the flowers, birthday cake and chocolate ice cream. The book ends with an image of the family cozily looking out the window over the flowers, which present a small oasis of beauty in a gray urban world.

This is a lovely
Hlee Moua
It has been such a long time since I've read this book and once I re-read the book,I automatically enjoyed it. I love the artworks in this book, the characters and settings looks very realistic and the flowers were so colorful and beautiful. The artist, Kathryn Hewitt did a phenomenal job on the artworks. This book will be a great way to introduce the children different vocabularies and different names of the flowers as well as its colors. The book was a simple read and easy to follow. It also t ...more
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for flower-lovers or mother's day. Beautifully drawn and simple language to describe buying and planting a window garden box for the child's mother.
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a lovely book. Even though it's a simple story, something about it kept the attention of even the most inattentive kids in my storytimes. Beautiful illustrations and simple text.
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educ378-spring
Text-to-Teaching connection
This books has beautiful colorful pictures and a simple rhyming text. In the classroom it could be used to introduce a topic of spring and growing flowers. The class could discuss the different types of flowers, such as the tulips which grow from a tulip bulb. Then they could plant a flower garden for their school.

In the story the main character plants the flowers for her mother's birthday, but you could also read the story to your class if you are planting a flower fo
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents to read with young children
I use this every year in my story time. A wonderful story of a girl and her father making a flower box for their apartment window. I use it for garden or Mothers story times. 2000

I used this for a PJ story time tonight & a mother asked to check it out. 5/22/12

Used this for a gardening story time since I didn't use it for Mother's Day (the fire fighters came for a story time) and I have it in big book format and 2 day cares showed for the preschool story time. 5/13/14

Used in Story Time. 5/12/
Feb 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educ378
Text to Teaching

A response activity for this book could be a science activity where children learn about the parts of a flower. Children can use real flowers to create 3D Art and then label the corresponding parts with leaf, stem, root or flower. The flowers can also be made with play dough or other art material. Also, teachers can include a measuring activity, where children can measure the growth of a flower versus another type. Measurements can be recorded on a weekly basis and observed for
Gorgeous storytime book. I'd probably give it 4 1/2 stars if I could, so I'm rounding up.
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Cute, sweet, rhyming book - perfect for emerging readers with some challenging vocabulary!
Very sweet, another "awwww" book for the adults at your story time.
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Title: Flowering Garden
Author/Illustrator:Eve Bunting/ Kathryn Hewitt
Reading Level: 2.2
Book Level: k-3

Book Summary: The picture-book paints the story of a young girl buying flowers with her father. She relives the details from picking out the flowers, the journey home, and planting them on the window sill. The best part is who the flowers are for...

Characteristics that support the genre of picture-book is the pictures tell the same story as the text. An emergent reader can follow the story
Rachel Herrington
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book has beautiful illustrations. I enjoyed looking at the pretty pictures of a busy city and quaint flowers at the same time. This book is about a little girl who buys some flowers with her father. You follow her journey through the city, on the train, down the street, until finally she gets home with her garden. They plant the garden in a window sill box, and only at the end will you find out who the flowers were planted for. This is a sweet and simple book that I would love to have in my ...more
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 365shelf_2018
I love this book. It has a lovely rhyming scheme and flows well when read aloud. The sentence structure is easy to read, which makes it good both for story time as well as young readers getting their literary feet under them.

The story is that of a little girl and her father bringing flowers home on the bus. They then make a planter box with the beautiful flowers before her mother comes home to the garden on their window sill.

It's a sweet story, perfect for the budding of spring time or the fun
Amy Buthelezi
This book has colorful, vivid illustrations and vocabulary words that teach children a variety of words including colors and descriptive adjectives. This story teaches time sequence to children using familiar events such as grocery shopping, walking, taking the bus, and arriving at home. This story also shows the process of planting flowers and various types of flowers which intertwine with science concepts. The story also contains elements of transportation and city dwelling and uses a catchy r ...more
Janice Ha
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-pt1
This book is interesting and simple to teach children about colors, flowers, some bugs, and how to make a surprise. The book also explains the adventure of buying flowers from grocery store to the apartment home. This book is best for children around the age of 4 to 6, because this story can be in big books or regular size books and simple wordings that is not too hard for children to try reading.
Sterlande Altidor
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-k
This is a beautifully, lovely, illustrated book. This is a beautiful and sweet story. This book will teach children about rhyme, through the singing of song rhyming pattern, little kids will enjoy this book. I think that the ending of the story was perfect, the whole family looking at the flower garden from their window. This is a great book to show children about working together. This is a great book for young children.
Erin Taylor
Flower Garden is an excellent story to read to children when they are learning about rhyming. I say that because it has a great rhyming tone which might help children to read along better. The illustration has so much color on each page, which brings out the joy and happiness in every character. I don't remember reading this book as a child, but I cant wait to be able to read this story to my own class one day!
Amita Singh
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: concept-book
This book is ideal for introducing the flowers that the children can see in the spring garden. There are many spring flowers' name and beautiful picture. It can use teaching to children how to make a small garden for gift to other person or decoration in their inside home. This book has African-American girl as main character and is also good a t teaching diversity to children.
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful tale of a little girl who makes a beautiful spring flower box. But why was it so important to her to create this spring flower garden?

This pleasant verse will appeal to young readers. The illustrations, originally done as oil paintings on paper and reproduced here for this book, are captivating. A book certain to charm readers, young and old alike.

Highly recommended.
Natalie Greaves
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: community
This book has a good rhyming scheme. I like how colorful the pictures are and the style of illustrations. This book would be good to read when discussing community or rhyming. I like how the book describes different places in a community. It also has good directional elements, for example how the garden goes up stairs and on a bus.
Anita Marlin
It is a poem, and a rhyming book. The pictures are beautiful, the flowers just look real. The children will learn many flower's names. It is simple book but it gives us a surprise at the end that those flowers the girl brought them home is for her mother.
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgia-pre-k
Lauren  Riviere
Short, simple and almost rhymed I liked it for a cute less than five minute read. I could see that it could be read to children before mothers day to remind them to do something nice for their moms but other than that it's just a book with pretty pictures.
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful illustrations by Kathryn Hewitt guide the reader through a rhyming story about a little girl setting up a garden for a special person on a special day! This would be great for kids interested in gardening or setting up a garden in an urban area.
Marissa Estrada
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-k-book-list
I read the big book version of this book. The children love the colors and how big and bright the details are on each page. This book is family-related and engaging for the child as father takes daughter to make something for mother. I enjoyed the pictures as well.
Tameka Johnson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jitters
Sweet simple story with beautiful illustrations! A friends of mine who is a prek teacher ordered this as a memorial book for a student whose mother had recently died. The deceased mother had loved flowers which is something the student told her so I though the story was very appropriate.
Victoria Irons
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors
This is a nice story about a girl from the city who creates flower boxes with her dad for her mom's birthday. This could be an excellent mentor text if you're wanting to do a lesson on gardening or nature in a city.
Evita LaQua
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of rhyming is in this book. Illustrations are pretty. Teaches steps to gardening. Teaches the names of flowers.
Raquel Turner
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prek
This book has great pictures , the rhymes and short text is great for early readers. I liked this story because it was very thoughtful.
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • How Groundhog's Garden Grew
  • Growing Vegetable Soup
  • My Garden
  • Jack's Garden
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • In the Tall, Tall Grass
  • Mud
  • Feast for 10
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • Lola Plants a Garden
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99