Start by marking “Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop, #1)

Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop #1)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  312 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A dilapidated school with the most unpromising of pupils and eccentric of teachers, led by an educational maverick, must unravel the mystery of what is going on in its secret cellars if it is to avoid complete ruin.
Published April 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Ribblestrop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ribblestrop

Wandering Librarians
Ribblestrop is a school like no other. There is no roof. The teachers are a bit odd, and strange things are going on in the secret underground labyrinth of the building. The students are an unusual mix as well, from Millie, an arsonist who's been kicked out of her other schools, Sanches, the son of a Colombian gangster, to Sam, who's had the bad luck to fall into the middle of it all.

I did not enjoy. My expectations were high because Ribblestrop was actually published in the UK in 2009 and won T
Maharet
Questo libro è completamente folle: è un trip di acido (non che ne abbia mai sperimentato uno, ma immagino quali possano essere gli effetti di tale pratica) lungo 439 pagine e Andy Mulligan secondo me è un genio.
Sui social network mi è capitato di definire questo libro “un Harry Potter sotto LSD” e devo dire che la definizione calza, anche se tra HP e questo libro ci passa un oceano: è un libro fuori di testa, in cui succede di tutto e di più e in cui i colpi di scena si susseguono a ritmo serra
Candy Wood
Andy Mulligan's Ribblestrop is a very strange take on the boarding-school story, partly updated to the 21st century with "cellphones" and partly a throwback to James Bond spy stories with evil mad scientists and improbable gadgets. Add to all that a huge volume of violence, not just the bruises and scrapes of an accident-prone schoolboy but life-threatening injuries realistically described (with some hints of cartoon exaggeration). As often in the school-story genre, the characters are more ster ...more
Monica Edinger
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Since I read this after the second one I do have to admit my preference for it over the first, but liked this one too. Now can't wait for the final in the trilogy.
Sam Reader
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it

In preparation for my first ever break with the format of this blog to review a Young Adult book about a school, I went back and looked up some of the young adult titles of my youth: Wayside School, for one. some of Ellen Raskin's books for another, and Neal Shusterman, and Bruce Coville, and some other titles here and there that I remember digging. And, upon looking back, I realized something:

YA authors scare the living daylights out of me.

Annie Demosthenous
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it's hilarious in all the best possible ways.
Becky B
Dec 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Let me preface this by saying I usually heartily enjoy British humor, so I went into this book with high hopes. However, it took me forever to get into Ribblestrop. In fact, I usually devour a book this size in 2-3 days and I was so not grabbed by the characters or plotline that I dropped it to read not once, not twice, but about 6-7 times to read other books and thus stretched this thing out for almost a month. Finally, about 2 chapters from the end (about 300 pages of forced reading) I got int ...more
Lisa Tobleman
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
I picked this book up at the bookstore purely because I loved the name. It has turned out to be a fantastic read and one I believe kids (boys and girls) can find something to love.

Age Range: 8 - 12 years
Grade Level: 3 - 7
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Beach Lane Books (August 19, 2014)

This book is a UK series that has just made it to the US. There is a lot to love, hilarious, fun action with unlikely friendships forming under adverse conditions with great writing and in general age appropriate s
Eccentrika
Questo libro è uno dei più strani che mi sia capitato di leggere, a partire dal titolo e dall'immagine di copertina che appena iniziata la lettura ti rendi conto essere del tutto fuorvianti perché non centrano davvero nulla! A questo proposito mi sono chiesta più volte se la casa editrice avesse idea di cosa stesse pubblicando e probabilmente la risposta è no!
Appurato quindi che il titolo di questo libro avrebbe dovuto essere "La scuola di Ribblestrop" e che non ci sarà nessuna famiglia Addams,
Niklaus
la parte iniziale del libro (il treno, l'incontro con i compagni, la scuola strana, ...) ricordano volutamente Harry Potter. E già questa captatio benevolentiae verso il lettore target non mi piace. La storia tuttavia non riesce a catturare il lettore: la storia procede in modo alquanto incongruo e poco coinvolgente. Gli studenti sono curiosamente borderline: un gruppo di orfani provenienti da una non meglio definita regione Himalayana (!?!?!?) dai nomi improbabili; la ragazzina problematica; du ...more
Jackie
Dr. Norcross-Webb, a clueless, inept, yet lovable headmaster at a newly formed, progressive school, Ribblestrop, encounters his fair-share of troubles with his ragtag orphan students, some returning second-year pupils, a staff which is flighty, yet trying their hardest. During the second year, he hires disciplinarian, Miss Hazlatt who is fond of rules and ruthless with the enforcement of them.

During the year, friends Sanchez, Sam, Millie, and Ruskin encounter a few oddities. Tunnels, strange co
Arya
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book took me a really long time, and a good bit of endurance and sticktoitiveness, because there was this bit of time when I didn't get to read it at all, and then there were these other books I had to read, but it was all worth it. It was hilarious, and it was one mad book. Seriously, learning Trig while fixing a burnt roof is a cool but bizarre idea. In this book, nothing is what it really seems like. And the interesting thing is that in most books, the only voice it that of the main char ...more
Rachael
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the wacky world of Ribblestrop!

Ribblestrop is a boarding school set in the lovely English countryside in Devon, but all is not what it seems. With an air of the movie Hot Fuzz things slowly unravel as you meet the characters and arrive at the school.

With day to day school life, a sweet but zany headmaster, a deputy head mistress who enforces the rules, a building which was burnt down in the last school year and a laboratory and catacombs underneath the school, things are about to get
Johara Almogbel
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-the-library
I am... I... Er... This book. I am confused. I am so confused. The writing is very decent, and the characters are written well at a certain level, but. I don't know. So much violence happens to children, I just want to scream and shake all the horrible people in the story. It's like Lemony Snicket if Snicket's characters were even MORE self-serving and murderous, which is a miracle. Also, I never got why people in the UK would call football 'soccer' and go against a 'high school' team. That bit ...more
Giulia
Jul 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
L'unica cosa mostruosa è l'italiano..

E' stato tradotto con Google Translate, secondo me. Sapete quelle sane e genuine traduzioni letterali che ci offre spesso questo traduttore? Ecco, alcune volte la sensazione è proprio quella. Per non parlare della punteggiatura, questa sconosciuta. Per quanto mi riguarda, ho faticato pure a immaginarmi parecchie delle scene e delle ambientazioni (soprattutto le sotterranee), non so se per difetto di traduzione o per insipidità di racconto. E poi.. MA QUALI SA
Zee
The plot is very promising here, so it's a shame that it's so badly executed. The lack of a single main character is this book's main stumbling point; no character is actually fleshed out enough for the reader to sufficiently invest in the story emotionally, and when there are as many as ten POVs in one chapter it becomes very difficult to place yourself at the scene or care what happens at the end. Books with multiple points of view are fine if written well, however this does not carry it off a ...more
Michelle
Oct 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but found none of the characters to be very likeable, the plot--for me--was too convoluted, and there was simply too much going on. I think the author may have been better served by sticking with one or two interesting plot points and developing the characters and relationships between them more fully.
Mary
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The publisher says this book is for 8 to 12 year olds. I'm thinking 12. There were parts that were so violent I started to think I was reading an adult book.
But it is oh-so-British. I got this book at a Book Buzz I attended recently and the publisher said it was a book you can't stop reading. She's right - it's a real page-turner.
Alexa
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
First installment in this British series for YR. Apparently in England, kids are allowed to be pretty imperiled! The actions of the bad guys might be a bit scary for younger readers, but older kids in this age range will likely find the characters and their wacky adventures entertaining. I went on to read the next book in the series, so I must have liked it.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
I'd love to give this 4 stars because I enjoyed it so much, but it does bear some marks of a first novel - uneven charaterisation, a sometimes directioness plot and a very few instances of clumsy phrasing. Other than that it's a gloriously nerve-wracking romp in the most haphazard and hazardous school ever.
Kriselle
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Could've been an interesting story, but everything had been rolled out in such an unpleasant pace that made it difficult to read. Especially the 'climax'. Took me longer to finish this compared to other books with the same difficulty.
Rahul
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Slow start. Picked the book for its cover (Whoops!! Really loved the colors and illustration). Didn't like it so much at first. But gets really interesting in the middle and not bad in the end. Will be reading the next book also.
Lily
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
totally wacky, with really weird characters and a very well thought out plot. Really enjoyed it
moonlight
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
those orphans! xD FTW!!!
Matthew
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Full of surprises
Hebe Young
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
It was pretty good but I think it is more aimed at younger boys than my age group and gender.
Mark Banaszak
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Comparable to the Hogwarts world, but a little more anarchic.
Emma Tate
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Crazy book, but I'd like to go to this school! Good reading for kids.
Niki
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked it but not as much as the other books in the series.
Natasha
this book was a bit too realistic for me I prefer fanticy
  • Shiverton Hall: The Creeper
  • The Vacation
  • The Big One-Oh
  • Leaving the Bellweathers
  • Кладбищенские истории
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • Everything Breaks
  • The Water Seeker
  • The Wikkeling
  • Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)
  • The Paradise Trap
  • Demonkeeper (Demonkeeper, #1)
  • Der Schmetterlingssammler
Andy Mulligan was brought up in the south of London. He worked as a theatre director for ten years before travels in Asia prompted him to retrain as a teacher. He has taught English and drama in India, Brazil, the Philippines and the UK. He now divides his time between London and Manila.
More about Andy Mulligan...

Ribblestrop (3 books)
  • Return to Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop, #2)
  • Ribblestrop Forever (Ribblestrop, #3)