Start by marking “A Project Guide to UX Design: For user experience designers in the field or in the making (Voices That Matter)” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,250 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
“If you are a young designer entering or contemplating entering the UX field this is a canonical book. If you are an organization that really needs to start grokking UX this book is also for you. "  -- Chris Bernard, User Experience Evangelist, Microsoft

User experience design is the discipline of creating a useful and usable Web site or application—one that’s easily naviga
Published (first published January 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Project Guide to UX Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Project Guide to UX Design

Anne
An introductory guide to the typical UX design process in a business setting. Not the most thrilling read, but certainly covers a decent breadth of topics (as opposed to depth) for someone with a minimal background in UX design. I would have appreciated much more detail in certain chapters regarding sitemaps, wireframes, prototyping, and user tests, and overall, more examples/use cases in-book as opposed to references and links to other sources, which, let's face it - not most readers would eage ...more
Tom Panning
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good introduction to the usability process and methods, but if you're a "user experience designer in the field", you probably won't get much out of it. So for the "UX designers in the making", this gives enough of an overview of the methods to know when and why you would use a particular method. It also includes enough of the "how" that you could get by on a smaller project (or a larger project with a mentor). But if you need to be a self-taught UX designer, you'll need to find ...more
Sean Yo
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: user-experiece
I was not impressed by this book. At it's best, it provides useful advice on how to manage the non-UX work of being a UX Professional. At it's worst, it gets lost in vague suggestions that seem to be more about surviving office politics as a freelancer, rather than how to be awesome at UX Design or being an awesome design professional.

At a minimum, the fact that the cover design calls out the words "UX" and "Design" is a poor User Experience, in that it presents the book as being about UX Desig
Wendy White
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book along with Steve Krug's publications on web usability to conduct my first usability testing sessions early this year. I would definitely recommend it to people starting out on UX looking for a bit of structure, or those with a moderate amount of experience who are interested in fleshing out their processes a little more.

The writing is straightforward, clear, and examples are well-laid out, with many opportunities for deeper reading online. I found myself diving in and out of thi
Jess
The greatest value of this book, at least upon a cursory skim-through, seems to lie in how it gives the completely lost UX newbie a practical framework for actually starting work on a project. That alone may be reason enough to buy this book. I will update this review when I have completed a UX={IA,IxD,webdesign} - project with reference to the process and ideas in this book.
Adam Wiggins
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
The emphasis is on project management of content websites, rather than information about user experience or interaction design as I had been hoping. Gave up halfway through.
Denys Sergushkin
‘A Project Guide to UX Design’ is a must have for those starting out in the field of experience design as a brief but comprehensive guide to realising a web design project. For experienced practictioners, it’s a useful compendium of techniques and other resources.
Graham Herrli
This book is abysmally written. At points, it takes full pages to say what could easily have been expressed in a single sentence. The visuals make me want to gouge my eyes out. However, the content makes up for the terrible writing. This book contains numerous essential details of how a UX Designer fits into a work environment--what the workflow is, the roles of coworkers, what tasks need to be performed, and when, and how. This book scopes itself ambitiously, attempting to serve as a guidebook ...more
Rafael Bandeira
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: designers, web developers, programmers, product managers, marketers
Recommended to Rafael by: Rafael Lüder
Here is part of my review, there's more in http://wp.me/piW5A-4A.

The book brings the entire environment and life cycle of a web application project to discussion, showing how each piece connects with others and where the UX Designer role fits into it. It also details how particular activities and tasks look like and what are the best practices for them.

But it doesn’t stop there, it goes way beyond, really deep into what a UX Designer really needs to know and do to become a proficient and useful
Jennifer Hogan
A Project Guide to UX Design provides a basic overview for designers new to the UX field. Unger reviews several process of UX design including how to gather business requirements, user research, wireframes, protoypes as well as SEO considerations and how they are integrated into projects. Unger also includes many references to other books and online resources throughout for further reading.

The book's description states that it is "for user experience designers in the field or in the making," how
Lane Sawyer
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Project Guide to UX Design is a great introduction on how to run a UX project. I just received the opportunity at work to be a UX Designer, something I have yet to experience in my short career, and this book really helped me grasp the basics of what I should be doing. It provides plenty of ideas and details supporting their methods, and I've used much of what's in the book in my new role.

Whether you want to break into the world of UX or are thrust in almost unexpectedly, this is a great start
Arshi Bhasin
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a beginner this is great, I skimmed through most of it. For an experienced designer, it doesn't educate much since it tells us what processes are involved, but doesn't go deep into discussions explaining the technical processes. For example it'll tell you what a Task Flow is, but won't tell you the advantages/disadvantages, or how to create a good one. It'll tell you about the use and definition of Storyboards, but not about how to draw good ones.

Basically, a really high level view of the p
Tiffany
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
I read this book knowing nothing about UX. It was wonderful and showed lots of real world examples. My favorite part of it was how it divided each step of the process of UX Design into separate chapters. Although I didn't explore it in depth since it was just for casual reading, I learned a lot from this book. It gave me a good foundation for what to expect going into the field of UX Design. A must read for those who want to know the process of UX Design.
Dustin
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Great overview of the field, very easy to read. It'll also make a great reference book for all those UX tasks I don't do every day. There were times where I wish it was a bit more detailed or prescriptive, but I understand that it isn't the true aim of the book. Plus, there are plenty of sidebars suggesting further reading in the form of books, articles, and blog posts. Definitely recommended to anyone who does UX work or who works with people that do.
Marcel
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. From the perspective of a startup founder and engineer, this book provided the perfect level of detail without getting bogged down in the nitty gritty of design, statistics, or any of the other topics that deserve full books of their own.
Seriously, I couldn't have asked for a better guide through the UX landscape and how it integrates with real projects.

Highly recommended!
Memekenn
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best organization of UX project information available in one publication. I returned to the first edition several times over a period of five years and recommend the second edition to anyone starting out in UX who wants to understand the true pace and needs of UX from an organizational understanding and practice.
Josh Clement
Too simplistic, tries to cover everything and has already start to date. Ux is a difficult field to condense into one book, it's too new. As a designer I think you're better off getting feedback about your own process, and supplementing with articles, discussions, meet ups or shorter more specialised books. Maybe this book would be better if you're completely new to the field.
Becca
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, design
UX design 101; user studies, personas, business strategy, project management, client management, etc. Good reference for those who would like to know the basics of what UX designers are doing - also gives in-line recommended further reading. Not as much info on integrating UX ideas into the visual design side; an interesting read nonetheless.
Gary Schroeder
Somewhat basic. If you already have some experience managing a web team, building websites according to customer specifications, or managing the process of helping the customer define the problem in the first place, you may not need this book. If, on the other hand, you're a newbie, you could do worse than to spend a weekend with this book. Its list of online resources alone are worth it
Autumn
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, business
An essential book for digital marketers working with users, clients, and customers. Taught me in 2 weekends an entire course's worth of information, all without being overloaded. Plus it has bonus resources easily categorized for your convenience. Seriously recommend!
Jaret Manuel
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-design
This is a go-to primer & all encompassing resource for new UX designers. I would highly recommend this book for those setting out in the agency & corporate design. I would not recommend this for startup hackers.
Rajesh Satyarthi
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been popular and recommended books among UX Leaders but i find book to be saying most of stuff already said by other books. However if you've read any other UX book yet, i suggest start with this because it is truly comprehensive book about UX at Practice.
David Golden
Comprehensive overview of the UX process

This book gives a process-centric view of UX projects. It's good intro material and chock full of links and references, but is inherently a mile wide and an inch deep. Fabulous if you're new to UX, but might not have lasting value.
Gaby Prado
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
It was a really good book back then, it has falled behind quite a bit. Wouldn't recommend it now, but still has some basic concepts (possibly found elsewhere too).
Above all, it is focused on a waterfall-type of approach
Paul Baldowski
I suspect this is one of those books that warrants a second read or finds greatest value as a springboard for projects in progress. In first read, I found value and left a lot of bookmarks, but didn't come away feeling overwhelmed with ideas and enthusiastic urgency.
Jan
Extremely practical book covering all aspects of a UX project delivery, including e.g. freelancing tips, meeting and project managing guides, SEO strategy. Contains pointers to further great resources. Excellent value for money. Go get it.
Rutabaga
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-ui-design
Kostiantyn Hladkov
If you can stomach such vague language, you will be disappointed with the content. The actual content regarding UX design is barely fifty-something pages
Enrique
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Its a welcome addition to my UX toolkit. It's a useful reference. It's not a perfect reference, but as far as I know that doesn't exist yet.
Mostaque Ahammed
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A step by step UX tasks/methodology shown by example.
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Designing Social Interfaces

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Russ Unger is the director of experience planning for Draftfcb, the largest advertising/marketing agency in the Midwest. He has been involved in the information architecture of large-scale public-facing sites for such companies as Oprah.com and United Airlines. He has taught courses in Web and interactive design and contributes to Boxes and Arrows. He also serves on the board of the Information Ar ...more
More about Russ Unger...

“We seek out a balance, most notably between logic and emotion, like Spock and Kirk, or Data and Data in that episode where his emotion chip overloaded his positronic relays. You” 0 likes