Start by marking “I Can Make You Sleep: Overcome Insomnia Forever and Get the Best Rest of Your Life!” as Want to Read:

Following the huge success of his blockbuster weight-loss program, Paul McKenna has created a groundbreaking new book-and-CD set that will be welcomed by millions. It reveals the secrets of getting regular, deep, refreshing sleep—and banishing insomnia for good.

McKenna understands the frustration of not getting a good night’s rest, and his trademarked system—which
Published September 15th 2009 by Sterling (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Can Make You Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Make You Sleep

Start your review of I Can Make You Sleep: Overcome Insomnia Forever and Get the Best Rest of Your Life!
Jak
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jak by: Any Insomniac
This might seem a strange valentines present but it’s one of the best I’ve had. It’s very easy to read and has plenty of ideas/exercises to help insomniacs like myself and the hypnosis CD is a nice addition. As yet I’ve to start doing all the exercises and listen to the CD regularly so I’ll try to remember to report back as to whether the book is a success or not, as after all that is what it will be judged on. So no stars for now…..
****************

Less than a month later I'm please to report
Scunnered
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone needing a good nights sleep
I bought this book out of desperation 8 weeks ago and it has helped me tremendously. I'd had trouble sleeping for 3-4 years and woke up feeling horrible more often than not. Now, I'm not only sleeping well because of Mr. McKenna, but I wake up feeling fabulous each morning. This book/CD has helped me fall asleep quickly, wake up less, and if I do wake up in the night I'm back to sleep much faster than before (usually within minutes).

I give most of the credit to the hypnosis CD, but I've taken
Ita
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I haven't implemented all the things he says to help you sleep, but I do listen to the CD that accompanies the book when I have trouble falling asleep and it WORKS! Probably because the voice is low and monotonic and soothing.

When I get around to implementing all his suggestions, I'm sure I won't need to listen to the CD to get to sleep.
Annette Maclean
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some really sound advice in the book and a great audio download to go along with it, but I can't give it any more than 2 stars because it wasn't effective for me - I'm afraid, No you can't Paul...

However, I think if my sleep problems weren't quite as severe, then this would possibly work and worth a try.
Kassel
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I started sleeping better while reading this book. I don't know if it's the vitamins that started working or this book but it happened at the same time so I figured I'd give this guy four stars. I started sleeping better without listening to the CD.
Helen
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, he makes some interesting points. 1. Get up half an hour earlier, 2. go to bed later, 3. Don't take naps in the day. In theory it all makes sense, but harder to do when you've only had 2-3 hours sleep, still I will persevere with it.
Suzanne
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
No You Can't.
I can't rate this any higher than 2.. because it didn't work.
If this book is your first port of call for trying to cure your insomnia, then it's probably great.
But, i already knew all the information in this book.. from Dr's and the internet. Nothing new in here.
Kathy Ursenbach
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book and cd worked for me. If I listen I fall asleep and stay asleep. Give it try it may work for you.
Jemma
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I expected. A few helpful ideas to try and a few suggestions which I've already stumbled upon and know help.

However, I'm not sure I buy the programme as a total solution - especially not with the hypnotic element. There are two many rules to follow, which make the programme so complicated that it will be easy to fail. This means that, he has a ready defence against anyone who follows his programme without success. There will almost always be something he could point to that you are
Marcia
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a health educator who frequently lectures about natural ways to prevent and deal with insomnia. This is my favorite book on the subject. It's short, easy to read, and loaded with practical tips. The best part is that the author, who is a famed hypnotist in England, includes a hypnosis CD inside the back cover. You are getting sleepy, very very sleepy....
Denise Sinco
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concise, practical, clear directions for changing sleep patterns. I am gratified to find techniques and information that dovetails with my CBT work. These exercises most certainly add to my anti-anxiety arsenal. I have not tried the CD and probably won’t until I practice the exercises a while.
Charlotte Basnett
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Alright
Juliette
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Useful information. Listened to the CD which helped.
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book last year and I am now re-reading it. The first time I read it, my goal was to learn more about sleeping problems. I didn't think it added a huge amount to my existing knowledge of the subject so would have given it three stars. But on my second read, my goal is to go through the techniques suggested to help promote good sleep and compile a handout for my hypnotherapy clients. This second time around, I have got what I wanted from the book so I have now given it four stars. A ...more
Judy
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
I don't like books that start out "Just keep following the system...This system is unique..." His "system" is probably not the last word on sleep and I'm free to pick and choose what is helpful to me, of course. When something is called a "system" or a "product" all I can think of is a slick, annoying advertisement. That was the case with this book, although there were many helpful tips in it.

I also listened to the CD. It creeped me out. The "hypnosis" portions were sections where it sounded
Rachel Groves
Was very optimistic about this but oh my the cd just annoyed me not made me sleepy in the slightest. He talks so fast it's not soothing. And he told me to count backwards from 300 which with M.E takes lots of concentration. Was less sleepy than when I started!

I didn't read the book just used the CD which in the start of the book he says you don't need to do anything other than listen to it. You don't even need to listen properly. I've tried his I Can Make You Slim in the past which I found
Deb
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is very easy to read and filled with good tips.

My two favorite sections of the book are:
The Power of Your Internal Voice &
What to Do if You are Still Awake
From these sections of the book, I have made personal voice memos that I can listen to when I have a hard time going back to sleep.

I absolutely love the 22 minute Guided Hypnosis CD included with the book. Everywhere I go, I carry a downloaded version of the CD on my iPhone. Listening to this CD works almost every time to
Greg
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I am interested in sleep. Even though I have little trouble falling asleep, I wanted to learn how to get better sleep and how to feel more refreshed when I awake.

The book is geared towards insomniacs and people with problems relaxing before bed. I like all his advice and found some of the techniques helpful in making myself relax in general. Still haven't listened to the "relaxation audio CD" which comes with the book. If I find myself wanting to buy more Paul McKenna
Veso Mitev
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
The book has good technical advices how to improve the environment in which we sleep.

It also contains psychological "advices" how to improve the sleep. No sh*t, it's McKennaq yet to see something he's not mixing with psychology.

I will be honest. I almost never had problems falling a sleep, thus the review might be biased.

The book is repetitive and, honestly, boring. I believe it's written for people that don't give a fu*k about sleep details - they just want to get quality sleep.

Anyway - I can't
Trish Lata Gooljarsingh
I decided to read this book to help my mother-in-law with her insomnia. It has alot of information, much of which I already knew. But there are these unique exercises to reduce stress and of course, the much lauded hypnosis CD. I haven't tried out the exercises or CD but I did so some of the mental exercises. I slept like a baby last night.
I would definitely recommend this for folks who have sleeping issues or simply for those who want to sleep even better than they already do.
Missy
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it
It comes w/ a CD, which I didn't listen to. The suggestions were all the old common sleep remedies, but he threw in a couple that I hadn't tried before. As a "nonsleeper" all the extra tips one can get are greatly appreciated. Very quick read and probably helpful to most people. I did sleep well last night.....w/ the help of Benadryl which wasn't one of his ideas.
Ebony
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book so helpful I had really bad sleep patterns and insomnia as soon as i read it it was beneficial. The book and CD together are really useful. Its a good book to have, if i ever slip back into bad habits i can just find a chapter to help me again or listen to the CD a few times as i fall asleep. Paul McKenna is great and i have a few of his other books, i hope to read even more.
Diane
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, health
This is a great book. I can see why it is an international bestseller.
There's only 167 pages and I read them all in one hour. Paul McKenna's system, to improve the quality of sleep, is so easy to follow. I appreciate his one page techniques and exercises, too. This book also comes with a CD.
I am so glad that I found this book and would definitely recommend it.
Amanda
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Requires dedication to the techniques and time for the CD. I believe it would work for anyone that would put forth the effort. I got this one for my husband, but am not sure that he is going to read it himself.
Carol Catinari
The librarian commented, "So this book is going to make you sleep... a comment on the author's abilities?"......lol, actually, there are some helpful hints. I found the cd a little creepy, but the suggestions are worth trying.
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, self-help
Thank goodness I don't really need a book about sleep anymore, but I thought I'd read it anyway. It mentions many of the same things as the medical professionals who helped me when I suffered from insomnia.
Lisa Welch
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lots and lots of suggestions for sleeping better regardless of what your sleep issues are. They actually have been helping me too!!!!
J Crossley
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
McKenna fills this book with suggestions to help you build good sleep hygiene.
Eric Reidsma
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Concise information. The CD was helpful
ضحى الحداد
Paul Mckenna is an incredible maann .. he is so great and this book was very good i really could sleep better as he said ..

• Lake District Walks
  • Wir Kassettenkinder
  • Say Good Night to Insomnia: The Six-Week, Drug-Free Program Developed At Harvard Medical School
  • My Sh*t Therapist: & Other Mental Health Stories
  • Sepulchre (Languedoc, #2)
  • The Effortless Sleep Method: The Incredible New Cure for Insomnia and Chronic Sleep Problems
  • Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-To Book
  • The FODMAP Friendly Kitchen Cookbook: 100 easy, delicious, recipes for a healthy gut and a happy life
  • Anxiety: Practical about Panic: A Practical Guide to Understanding and Overcoming Anxiety Disorder
  • The Chimes
  • The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own
  • The Cheese Trap: How Breaking a Surprising Addiction Will Help You Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Get Healthy
  • Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen: 200 Easy Recipes for Healthy Weight Loss
  • Meet the Frugalwoods: Achieving Financial Independence Through Simple Living
  • Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods
  • Eat for Health: The Mind and Body Makeover
  • The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
Paul McKenna is an English hypnotist and self-improvement author.
McKenna has written and produced books and multimedia products, hosted self-improvement television shows and presents seminars in hypnosis, neuro-linguistic programming, weight loss and motivation.