Start by marking “Sandhill Dreams (Nebraska Brides #2)” as Want to Read:
Sandhill Dreams (Nebraska Brides #2)

Sandhill Dreams

(Cornhusker Dreams #2)

Lainie has no dreams left. Lainie Gardner dreamed of becoming a nurse. Of serving her country. Of doing something important in the war. But rheumatic fever changed all that, and instead of running home, Lainie is determined to find a job at Fort Robinson in Nebraska's sandhills. Tom Hamilton had dreams, too. Dreams of preparing the horses at Fort Robinson for duty on the w
Published April 28th 2008 by Heartsong Presents

To ask other readers questions about Sandhill Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sandhill Dreams

Start your review of Sandhill Dreams (Nebraska Brides #2)
Hannah
3.5 stars. Sweet little story.

I liked Lainie a lot and enjoyed her POV throughout the story...she was easily my favorite character. I would have enjoyed having the entire story told by her. I had a harder time "getting" Tom and didn't feel like his character got a real closure with some of his fear issues in regards to animals. I had a hard time with the idea of war dogs being made from family pets, too... I know it happened and I don't honestly like being reminded of it. I honestly like workin
Andrea Cox
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
by Andrea Renee Cox

What a sweet story! Every time I read a Cara Putman book, I'm reminded again just how amazing her storytelling skills are. In Sandhill Dreams, I especially enjoyed the fact that the war dog trainer was frightened of dogs. It added a sense of tension to the storyline that kept me flipping pages long into the night. The wit and snappy comebacks sprinkled throughout the book had me laughing, which is always a good thing in my opinion.

I was not compensated for this review. I highl
Raechel Lenore
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5

Another good WWII story, with not-your-typical setting. Strong faith theme which I appreciate, and good characters. :)
DeAnn
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a follow up to Canteen Dreams and focuses on Lanie, Audrey's best friend. After attempting to join the nursing core and getting sick, Lanie refuses to return home to the life that she feels is pre-planned for her. She takes a train to a remote outbase with the intention of working as a civilian. She faces a few roadblocks but refuses to accept them and ends up building a comfortable living and working situation for herself. Just in time to fall in love.

This book reminded me that we tend
Kate
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Lainie's spunk as Audrey's best friend in 'Canteen Dreams', and was pleased to see she got her own story.
I liked the way she was able to put one foot in front of the other and do what needed to be done to help the war effort, even if she couldn't be a nurse as she planned. She was a very tenacious character. I also enjoyed 'getting to know' Tom, though I wish we could have learned more about his backstory: he was often with his father who was a vet, but what about his mom? I'm a
Anne Rightler
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Sandhill Dreams is a sweet WWII romance by Cara C. Putman. It is second in the Nebraska Brides series, but can easily be read as a stand-alone story. Having lived in Nebraska for a number of years, I was looking forward to reading this and was not disappointed. Although not on the war-front, the story brought out interesting things about the war. I especially enjoyed hearing about the training of dogs for combat as I had not ever read about that before. Engaging, believable characters, broken dr ...more
Ellen White
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lainie a life she knew before she got sick, now not having the stamina for being a nurse. Going to Crawford to free a man to go fight. A small extension of the fort, and a few ranches. Unloading dog crates, she asked, and Thomas dropped the crate. She wonders why here in Nebraska. as is Thomas, the army thought he would best serve the army by handling the dogs. Lainie acted without a plan of a job, to sleep. He then mentions the hordes of women at the fort, and within a couple of weeks married. ...more
Linda Emery
There were things that were either wrong or not mentioned about WWII. For example, there was absolutely no mention in the entire book of rationing or ration books but almost every page it was written about all the pies that kept being made, over and over, along with other things needing sugar. This was a major element in the story. This was a real concern during WWII and should have been included in the book. No mention of gas rationing either but cars and trucks (non-military) were taking long ...more
Patricia carlisle
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A love story set in WWII. Lainey was a civilian employee in the corps. Also on this base was the training of soldier dogs. People would donate their family pets for the war. It was interesting to read about the training of the soldiers and their chosen dogs for war. Lainey has a connection with the trainer of the dogs, but he wants to get in the action of the war instead of training the dogs.
I enjoyed listening to this story narrated by Cecily White. 🎧audiobookobsessionreviewer🎧
Ann Davis
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Held my attention

I bought this book after reading the first book in the series. I seldom buy the second book. Sandhill Dreams is worth the cost. I love a faith filled love story. I hope Cara Putnam will someday write a novel of two showing the couples after 25 or 30 years of marriage.
Deann Kachelmeier
Fun to read and educational

This book must have a lot of research to know about the days W W2 I love reading and understanding how hard times but also the fun in those days were filled with hard work but the innocent times of dancing and drug stores with soda fountains. I of course enjoyed the romance and complications it holds your interest till the end.
Marilyn Burrows
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even with it being during the war, it wasn't about the war!

Growing pains, disappointments, doubts surrounded many young people during the war. He was doing what he feared the most, and she wasn't physically able to do what she had trained for. But the both trusted God, believed the scriptures and both became much stronger
Ruth Jessen
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And the romance continues...

Lainie and Tom have one of the sweetest stories!he is constantly there for her as the safe guy friend as he totally falls for her before she realizes what a great guy he is. An up close look at small town/WWII base town, you'll see what it was like. and the military working dogs! So fascinating!
Charlotte Dance
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book of broken dreams that are mended in an unexpected way. The setting was unusual - homefront in WW2 in western Nebraska. Our family's roots are in that area and I am sure that it added to my enjoyment. So often we let disappointments crush us. The characters were headed that direction, but they persisted in finding new dreams.
Peggy Pierson
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book!

I love to read. This was the right book to sit down with a cup of coffee and just read. It is a simple story, a summer romance of you would, that is a pleasure to read. It told of opportunities designed but better opportunities to come when God is in the picture. Enjoy.
Joy Kidney
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet love story woven through some of Nebraska's history during WWII--where war dogs were trained at Fort Robinson, and glider pilots were trained, and the famous North Platte Canteen along the railroad for traveling soldiers.
Barbara
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love me forever?

War times are hard. Could Tom and Lainey find true love? Would her hard headed Dad come around to accept Tom as his son in law? Sweet story of young people meeting during war times and falling in love Sweet story!
Kathleen Bruner
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, just as I did the first in the series. The characters were ones I could relate to and the story brought them together in a lovely way.
Dianne Sidebottom
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Updated version with new cover. Tom and Lainie's story. WW11 story based in US. Historical story of War Dog training and the romance of Tom and Lainie. Quick enjoyable read and a favourite scripture verse of Isa 43:1-5.
Cindy Nipper
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Only slightly connected to book one, this is an easy stand alone story!
The ending was slightly corny, but I enjoyed the book a lot!
This is a different narrator from book one, but she did an exceptional job!
Ckainer
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series. This one especially. Adore the spunk in Lainie's character. I love the setting and that time period. Good job
Nancy Griggs
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great WWII book

I enjoyed seeing how war dogs were trained. Confronting fears in the face of duty is always hard. Being in the right place to save a life was awesome.
Ann Marie Curry
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice!!

This was a very nice WW II romance. Simple but sweet. If you like Christian romance novels this is definitely a winner.
Very enjoyable!!
Lydia
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful WWII novel from the standpoint of a Nebraska fort rather than the war front. I loved seeing a new setting and the characters were well developed and the romance sweet.
Susan P
Light romance--so little thought that people were actually fighting a war overseas.
Brenda Poulos
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daddy's Blessing

A western setting, but not too cowboyish. Perfect combination. Spunky main character. Charming suitor. All the makings for a romance.
Linda Palmer
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. And I’ve liked all the books by Cara Putman. Liked the setting and location of the book, and have always books set in the WWII era.
Want to read more in this series.
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story... it was my favorite of the Cornhusker Dreams series. I think I loved it most because I identified with the character of Lanie very strongly. I could see a lot of parallels in her life and my own. I enjoyed learning about some little known history about mid-America during WWII. I never even considered the possibility of prisoners of war from Germany being here in the United States, let alone working in our fields. I love how the author, Cara Putman puts in all kinds of little ...more
Staciy Wilson Wilson
Love!!!

Another historical romance to read and re-read! Historical romances are some of my favorites, and this one doesn't disappoint!
Cindy
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable quick read, at least for me as I tend to read fast though I try not to. For that reason I prefer books that have at least 300 pages, and preferably, more. But I think most would enjoy this book. it certainly grabs your attention. I haven't read any of the other books in this series and it didn't cause any problems jumping straight to book 2. They each must stand alone, as the book began like any would by introducing the characters. Then at the end, the first chapter of the next book ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 22, 2015 08:03AM

• The Homesteader's Sweetheart (Wyoming Legacy, #1)
  • This Daring Journey (Heart of the Mountains, #6)
  • For Love of Liberty (Silver Lining Ranch, #0.5)
  • Wagon Train Baby (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #1)
  • Sisters (Sun Valley #1)
  • Loving a Rebel: The Preacher's Daughter (Glory, Montana #1)
  • Temporary Bride (Dakota Brides #1)
  • If These Walls Could Talk (Joe Boyd Suspense Series Book 1)
  • Learning Faith at Steeple Ridge (Steeple Ridge Romance, #2)
  • Beauty in Flight (Beauty in Flight #1)
  • The Seat Beside Me (The Steadfast #1)
  • Before the Leap (Gold Valley Romance, #1)
  • My Father's World (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #1)
  • Charmed by the Cowboy (Cowboys of Ransom Creek #3)
  • A Doctor's Promise (Lifeline Air Rescue #1)
  • The Invitation (Mustard Seed #1)
  • Whispers From Yesterday
  • Love's Healing Power (New Beginnings Book 1)
Cara C. Putman lives in Indiana with her husband and four children. She lectures full time in law and ethics at Purdue University's Krannert School of Managment as well as practices law. She has loved reading and writing from a young age and now realizes it was all training for writing books. She loves bringing history and legal romantic suspense to life.

An honors graduate of the University of Ne

Cornhusker Dreams (3 books)
  • Canteen Dreams (Cornhusker Dreams #1)
  • Captive Dreams (Nebraska Brides #3)