Start by marking “To Ride Pegasus (The Talents Saga)” as Want to Read:
To Ride Pegasus (The Talents Saga)

To Ride Pegasus

(The Talent #1)

They were four extroardinary women who read minds, healed bodies, diverted disasters, foretold the future--and became pariahs in their own land. A talented, elite cadre, they stepped out of the everyday human race...to enter their own!

From the Paperback edition.
Published April 9th 2002 by Del Rey Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about To Ride Pegasus, please sign up.
Luke Morse The Talents of Earth (or simply 'Talents') series takes place on Earth albeit futuristic one. The series is the precursor to the 'Tower and Hive'…moreThe Talents of Earth (or simply 'Talents') series takes place on Earth albeit futuristic one. The series is the precursor to the 'Tower and Hive' series (aka Rowan, Damia, et al) setting up the canon for the entire series as well as back stories including the formation of the FT&T.(less)

Start your review of To Ride Pegasus (The Talents Saga)
Karen’s Library
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, paranormal
Anne McCaffrey's books are like a comfort food for me. I've read most of her books and have reread so many of them about a zillion times. My copy of To Ride Pegasus is pretty beat up as it's one of my go-to reads. I was having a crummy night and needed something that I knew would make me feel better. Mission accomplished!
Rebecca McNutt
To Ride Pegasus was an amazing story, full of science fiction and fantasy elements and really incredible.
Melinda VanLone
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading To Ride Pegasus, by Anne McCaffrey, for about the 20th time. It never gets old to me, and I know this wont be the last time I read it. Yes, Im one of those people who can read a book or watch a movie over, and over, and over. Part of the reason is that if its a great book I tend to read it way too fast and I miss things, so I read it again later to pick up all the things I missed. This time through Pegasus I tried to focus on exactly why I love it so much.

It might be the
Julianne
Jun 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nettle
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, but it felt like a bit of a slog. The fact it was originally separate short stories showed through, and after each segment I found myself wanting to put it down and read something else for a bit.

There was an interesting current of mind-control throughout the book, seemingly without thought from any of the main characters. At one point a woman is hypnotised into what appears to be a totally different personality, which is then glossed over as "she's happier now", as well as the
Freya
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, science-fiction
I have read most if not all of Anne MaCaffrey's Pern series and a few of her short stories so I thought I'd start expanding into her other series. I gather that this series might somehow link into the Tower and Hive series (also on my to-read list) though this is a complete guess as my brain just decided to link a couple of things together.

I found this book a little strange to begin with, but then as the story warmed up I really started to enjoy it. McCaffrey basically uses the story to explore
keikii Eats Books
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out my blog keikii eats books!

Average Rating: 60 points, 3 stars.
Trigger Warning: Old School Ethical Issues

Quote:
"Okay for us, for the time being. But not for the rest of us. No, now don't worry, Molly luv. I know where we're going."
Molly regarded him steadily for a second. "But you don't know exactly how we'll get there, is that it?"

Review:
I'm kind of dreading reviewing To Ride Pegasus right now. On the one hand, I genuinely love the
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Henry Darrow is a surprisingly accurate astrologer. He predicted the car accident that would give him a serious head injury and would put him in the one hospital with an ultra-sensitive electroencephalograph, otherwise known as a Goosegg. After his surgery he woke to a nurse watching him. He had a precognitive episode predicting they would get married and since he was being monitored by the Goosegg the chart showed the unusual activity in his brain at the exact moment of his episode. Scientific ...more
Lianne Burwell
I haven't reread To Ride Pegasus in years, so revisiting it was interesting.

The writing style is very dated at this point. The book was originally a handfull of short stories, collected with an introductory 'story' (there wasn't much story to it, just a series of events) to set up the world.

The basic scenario is that in a future (which is mostly the past now, since in the initial story they state it is 1997), where the US has become basically a giant welfare state (Ms McCaffrey's crystal ball
Hannele Kormano
Feb 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first story is the only one I can actually recommend - the tale of creating the institute to protect and develop psychic powers, the difficulty of finding a suitably secluded space in crowded city.

But the rest - oof. What a painful instance of internalized gender politics, so many instances of rational male characters deciding what's best for the dangerous emotional women. It just goes to show how women can be complicit in perpetuating this kind of stuff.

A few choice quotes:

"If only she
Joan
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans
This is more of a 3.5 star rating but I rounded up. This is a series of connected short stories about the parapsychics and a future society. I noticed that McCaffrey had rioting be a problem because of unemployment problems, which is actually a future I have seen sociologists predict as robots and AI do take over more and more human jobs. That was very astute of her. To get back to the stories, I really enjoyed them. The characters are interesting and I love Sally Iselin, a minor character but ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Where the hell is Pegasus? Fled from the mid-century ideas, I assume. "The consensus is that while a man might lift furs and jewels, possibly the dress, only a woman would takes the shoes, too." Page 127

In one paragraph the second-wave protagonist is referred to, by the writer and by several other characters, invariantly as Op Owen, Dr Owen, Dai, Dave, Daffyd, Daffyd Op Owen. I assume the author is just super happy she used a Welsh name.
MaryD
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
First, I know some reviewers have made comments about the fact that this seems to be putting women "in their place", but I take it as a product of its time.

The "official" description above is pure rubbish! That said, I love most of AM's books and this was no exception. I loved the idea of an organization that helps those with Talents to utilize their powers to the best of their ability.
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I don't know about more recent editions of To Ride Pegasus, but the cover of the 1973 mass market paperback is incredibly misleading. The cover makes it look like some cheesy fantasy novel while the back makes it sound like a mail-order-bride romance or something. In actuality, To Ride Pegasus is a surprisingly good collection of speculative short stories about the difficulties that would arise in legitimizing psychic powers after they have been proven scientifically, and the social/political ...more
Denise Spicer
Although the characters and concepts are mildly interesting, this overly long and disjointed book about a group of telepaths is neither compelling nor even convincing.
Sam (Hissing Potatoes)
I think I figured out what doesn't work for me from McCaffrey: her characters are flat as pancakes. They don't grow, the plot (if there is any) drives their actions/words rather than the other way around, they don't make sense. It is baffling that this book's blurb describes 5 important-sounding women in detail, promising their perspectives on how they shape the world of the Talents, but the whole story is told from the POV of 2 men. *throws hands up*
Dawn Sister
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book and have read it, as I have read all of Anne's books, at least a dozen times, if not more. Like her Dragonrider series, the Talent series spans generations and then goes on to span centuries, as it continues in the Tower and the Hive series way into the future.
I love Anne's stories and the worlds that she created. There really is nothing quite like her worlds. They go on forever.
Debrac2014
This is a collection of short stories! I only read the first story, To Ride Pegasus, which I enjoyed!
Sophie
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I like Anne McCaffreys works because of her straightforward, no-nonsense writing style, and To Ride Pegasus definitely met my expectations. The four short stories included in To Ride Pegasus are very fast-paced and driven by the storyline, and McCaffrey created clear-cut protagonists and antagonists that are very likable and hateable, respectively. This collection was a light, simple read that (presumably) sets the scene for the next few books of the series, and I was happy to not have ...more
Douglas Milewski
To Ride Pegasus (1973) by Anne McCaffrey screams SF for a different age. Even for the early 70's, the stories have a dated feel, most likely being written significantly earlier. The book explores the emergence of psychic powers in a future and slightly dystopian earth.

The book itself is short, barely out of novella length. They reading easy, if somewhat uninspiring. The text gets the job done. The plot often happens in dialog, meaning that most of these stories could easily convert into radio
Jack
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann McCaffrey is probably one of the 20th Century's most talented female SF authors. I have read most of her "Pern" books and thoroughly enjoyed them. This book is something of a departure from that fantasy mode, though still "soft SF" in that it utilizes psionic talents.
The main character, Henry Darrow, is a "Talent", meaning that he has psionic powers. He gathers and organizes others like him into a group and sells their abilities to predict disasters and accidents, which lowers insurance
J C Steel
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oddly enough, when I first started reading sci-fi around age ten, Anne McCaffrey was my favourite author, no question.
In later years, and possibly as a result of changing social expectations, I find her characters decreasingly engaging, which is a hell of a shame as the concepts underlying many of her stories are worth attention.
To some extent I find this most true of her very earliest and very latest works; the ones towards the middle of her writing less so.
Becky
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the third book first, oops.

This story sets the stage - it lets you know about Talents, their hardships in being astablished for the world to acknowledge, so on.

The only complaint I have is the ending felt abrupt. If I did not have the second book to read immediately I might have been in the car trying to find it.
Justy
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book is like watching Classic Star Trek, you can see what the world was like when it was written but still love the vision of the future that is shown. Some of the attitudes in the book may be dated but the world is easy to slip into and I enjoyed visiting it again.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Q:
But he had a date with destiny. And kept it on time. (c)
Q:
Kessily Lewel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all I'd like to say the description of this book is wrong. It implies it's about four women and it's not. There are a lot of women in these 4 novellas and women aren't even the main characters in all of them. This is the first book of the Saga of the Talents which later spins of into the Tower and the Hive series. The stories are loosely connected but were originally separate and it shows since each kind of stands alone in this universe. Basically together they show the origins of ...more
Zachary Coffin
What can I say about this book? The premised is fun, and the stories are imaginative in how they look at public and legal interactions with the advent of telepathic abilities called Talents. I say stories because while McCaffrey has a way of weaving the tales into one seemingly cohesive narrative, they are still very much individual tales.

Each story builds on the premise of establishing a role for Talents in the world, but also work to introduce new characters and challenges without having to
Erin Penn
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of all time got reread yesterday. A collection of Anne McCaffrey's short stories from what would become her Talent Universe, To Ride Pegasus was published in 1973. I picked up the ninth printing from 1983. As a decade of printings indicate, I wasn't the only person who loved this book.

The collection contains four short stories/novellas, one of which was specifically written for the book. All the stories were amazing to my 80's teenage self - showing strong women for the
Kevin O'Brien
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, file
Anne McCaffrey has a series I have read and reviewed called The Tower and the Hive, and in this universe people with psychic talents are responsible for providing telepathic communication and shipping services through teleportation. It is an interesting series which I enjoyed, but it leaves open the question of how we get from here-and-now to the universe she created. It is clear that it is supposed to be the same universe in some way, and in her Pegasus books she creates that link.

To Ride
Julia
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragon's Code (Pern, #25)
  • The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters, #1)
  • Joust (Dragon Jousters, #1)
  • Blue Adept  (Apprentice Adept #2)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
  • Born of Rage
  • Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern
  • Seasons (Tales of Valdemar, #13)
  • Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • Out of Phaze (Apprentice Adept #4)
  • Peace Force (Harriet Walsh, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High

The Talent (3 books)
  • Pegasus in Flight (The Talent, #2)
  • Pegasus in Space (The Talent, #3)