Start by marking “Wistril Compleat” as Want to Read:
Wistril Compleat

Wistril Compleat

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
All three of Wistril's magical misadventures are included in this complete compilation of cantrips and catastrophes!

Wistril Besieged --

Wizard Wistril's wants are simple -- four meals a day, a steady supply of honey-gold Upland beer, and above all else, peace and quiet.

All but the latter are in plentiful supply at Castle Kauph. Despite secreting himself on the edge of the W
Published May 3rd 2009 by Sizzling Lizard Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wistril Compleat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wistril Compleat

Olga Godim
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This little book, composed of three short humorous stories about a wizard Wistril, was pure entertainment. Wistril is a rotund, peaceful wizard, if a bit grouchy. He likes his food, his books, and his comforts. He lives in a castle with his sarcastic apprentice Kern and a couple hundred of staff, all gargoyles utterly devoted to their master.
In all three stories, Wistril’s studies of arcane science are rudely interrupted by an unfortunate occurrence: a siege by a mercenary army (Wistril Besiege
Mike
Similarly to A Bad Spell in Yurt, this is mildly amusing fantasy involving a wizard. Yurt's wizard is young and hapless, a role filled here not by the title character Wistril but by his apprentice, but in both cases, the wizards have to contend with ethical limitations on their magic to resolve a series of threats.

Wistril Compleat consists of three short stories. In each of these stories, Wistril is unable to use magic directly against a hostile military force because of his oath as a White Cha
Bigal-sa
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Could have done with another couple of stories. The stories in the Kindle version is from 22 to 1414 locations (out of 1519). The final 12% of the book is advertising for the author's other books (advertising which includes a synopsis of Wistril Compleat!).
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
This was a three that trailed toward a two--oh, how I wish we could do half stars--ending with two-ness, because I had higher hopes. It was perfectly pleasant throughout much of it, but the apparently humorous bits were never funny enough to arouse a chuckle, the apparently clever bits were never clever enough to make me think "wow, that's clever," the suspenseful bits not remotely suspenseful, etc., etc. It was pleasant enough, but almost imminently forgettable, and the last, longest story was ...more
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this for my Kindle not knowing what to expect. It just sounded like an interesting book. I really ended up enjoying this book a lot. It is a very classic fantasy tale with a lot of humor woven throughout.

Wistril and his apprentice, Kern, live in Castle Kauph and in general just want to be left alone to their studies. In these three stories about Wistril, that is just not meant to be. The three stories included are Wistril Besieged,
Wistril Afloat, and Wistril Betrothed. In each story
Marva
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: funny fantasy fans
What's not to love? With the ebook, it'll be the best .99 you ever spent.

Wistril is a wizard. Okay, we've heard that story before, right? Not really. Wistril is a white chair wizard who can't throw thunderbolts at the bad guys to defeat them. Instead, he has to be wily and sneaky to save the...well, not the entire world, but at least Castle Kauph.

With his intrepid apprentice, Kern, and a horde of faithful gargoyles led by the intrepid Sir Knobby, Wistril figures out how to defeat the bad guys in
Sylvia
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy, fantasy, digital

This is really a book of 3 short stories about the wizard Wistril. He lives in a castle with gargoyles and a snarky apprentice. He just wants to be left alone to drink beer, eat good food and work on his research. Don't we all? But he seldom gets what he wants. These stories were wonderful, creative and very funny. Frank Tuttle is a relatively new author on the scene, but definitely one to watch out for. I greatly hope to see more of Wistril in the future!
Trina Lore
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories about a wizard named Wistril. His roundabout way of solving problems reminds me very much of Piers Anthony stories in the Xanth vein. Very enjoyable! I hope Mr. Tuttle writes some more, one of these days!

This collection is another solid 4.5 - 4.75. I wish there were 10 stars so there was more give in the ratings.
Maria Schneider
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this anthology because it dealt with the same characters and setting throughout--almost like a novel, only complete stories in each segment. A very good read, especially if it is still 99 cents. Highly recommended for fantasy readers and those who like wizards and adventure.
Barbara
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
2 stars for the first two stories (they are a bit slight) but 3 for the last - Wistril Betrothed - which was a lot of fun.
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Arkfall
  • Burning Up
  • Castaway Dreams
  • Liaden Unibus II (Adventures in the Liaden Universe #7-12)
  • Blood Magic (The Ballad Of Kirin Widowmaker #1)
  • Back to the Dream  (Dreamlands, #2)
  • Head Cases
  • Merlin's Booke
  • Giving Birth to Thunder, Sleeping with His Daughter
  • Let There Be Light
  • The High Priest and the Idol (Lyremouth Chronicles, #4)
  • The Complete Keeper Chronicles
  • Demon Dog (Mojo Mysteries, #1)
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Let Me Call You Sweetheart
  • Monsoon Wedding Fever
  • Wayward One (Waywroth Academy #1)