Start by marking “The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)

The Narrows

(Harry Bosch #10)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  42,630 ratings  ·  1,718 reviews
FBI agent Rachel Walling finally gets the call she's dreaded for years, the one that tells her the Poet has surfaced. She has never forgotten the serial killer who wove lines of poetry in his hideous crimes--and apparently he has not forgotten her.

Former LAPD detective Harry Bosch gets a call, too--from the widow of an old friend. Her husband's death seems natural, but his

Published 2004 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Narrows, please sign up.
Xxertz Yes, I would recommend you read The Poet first. The Narrows could be taken as a standalone, but it doesn't have the qualities of a standalone that wil…moreYes, I would recommend you read The Poet first. The Narrows could be taken as a standalone, but it doesn't have the qualities of a standalone that will keep most people interested. There aren't any new cases introduced and I'm not sure if you'll care about who The Poet is without the first book as background. (less)
Earlene Gamble Yes, it gives away the name of the Poet and whether he is alive or not. Start at the first book by Connelly and read them in order. Characters are dev…moreYes, it gives away the name of the Poet and whether he is alive or not. Start at the first book by Connelly and read them in order. Characters are developed better and they are all wonderful!(less)

·  42,630 ratings  ·  1,718 reviews

Start your review of The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)
Diane Wallace
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series! really good writing and so eclectic (paperback!)
James Thane
The Narrows brings together several of Michael Connelly's characters, including L.A. detective Harry bosch, Connelly's main protagonist; F.B.I. agent Rachel Walling from The Poet; and Terry McCaleb, a former F.B.I. profiler, who first appeared in Blood Work.

Actually, as this book opens, McCaleb has just died. He was the survivor of a heart transplant and apparently died when his new heart failed him while he was out at sea on the charter fishing boat that he operated. It all seems pretty straigh
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
The Poet is my favourite ever Michael Connelly book.

He is back in The Narrows but, although this is good, it is nowhere as good as The Poet.

Former LAPD detective Harry Bosch gets a call from the widow of an old friend. Her husband's death seems natural, but Graciella feels that there is something wrong and his ties to the hunt for the Poet make Bosch dig deep. Arriving at a derelict spot in the California desert where the feds are unearthing bodies, Bosch joins forces with FBI agent Rachel Wall
Jonetta
The Poet is back! It's been years but he's resurfaced by leaving a note for FBI Agent Rachel Walling. She's called into a new task force as an "observer" since she's still banished to undesirable outposts because of what happened during the original investigation. Meanwhile, Harry Bosch is asked to look into the death of a friend who appeared to die from natural causes. But, it doesn't take long for his investigation to intersect with the FBI's task force.

I don't normally like revisiting former
Tiffany PSquared
I knew this going in on the day I took the case that would lead me into the narrows. I knew that my life's mission would always take me to the places where evil waits, to the places where the truth that I might find would be an ugly and horrible thing.

In this sequel to The Poet, Rachel Walling is once again on the trail of the sinister serial killer that evaded her years before. Operating on the fringes of the FBI with former detective Harry Bosch, Rachel works to overcome being used as ba
Carol
Solid addition to a satisfying series
The Hook Personal goal to work my way through this series.

The Line “The woman had long journeys in her voice and I liked that.”

The Sinker – The character of Harry Bosch captivates me. I believe this is due to his blend of a hard-core, rough-edged cop who can throw a punch with the best of them, and in the next scene displays an underlying gentleness that brushes the hair off his sleeping daughter’s brow and appreciates, art, music, poetry or a good book.

The P
Brenda
Former LAPD detective Harry Bosch knew he would help Graciela McCaleb when she contacted him. He was shocked to discover his friend Terry hadn’t died of natural causes and promised to find out what he could. The link to an old foe, the Poet, was the first thing Harry uncovered. And with his search and deep digging into Terry’s notes on the case file, he had theories and suppositions. His following up of those put him directly into the path of the FBI and agent Rachel Walling.

Would the Poet be f
Phrynne
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working my way steadily through the Harry Bosch series and here I am at number 10. I can always rely on Michael Connelly for a good read and as usual he did not let me down. Harry is working really well at the moment, using his smarts and keeping ahead of the FBI in his investigations. He is still working as a PI but it appears that he is about to go back into the police force. The Narrows is the usual format - lots of police procedure interspersed with action and plenty of suspense. The way Con ...more
Scott
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
** Continuing my read and review of Michael Connelly’s Detective Bosch series **

Connelly’s 14th book and 10th outing with Bosch - “The Narrows” - was first published back in 2004. Detective Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch is a Vietnam war veteran and a twenty-year police officer serving in the Los Angeles, California police department. Harry was once a star in the Robbery/Homicide division, working out of the LA city headquarters until his bad habit of fighting the formal structure of the police depart
7jane
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars)

FBI agent Rachel Walling gets a call: the serial killer known as the Poet is back - a grave full of bodies has been found. Former LAPD detective Harry Bosch gets a call also from the widow of an old friend, to investigate her husband's death. These two cases cross at that grave. At odds with FBI, they are in a chase after the Poet, who seems to be one step ahead at every turn... a ride that takes them to Las Vegas, then back to LA.

This is a continuation to a previous book, The Poet, b
Jonathan
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Richard
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
8/10

This is basically an Avengers Assemble for the Harry Bosch world. Pretty much everyone who has been in a Bosch book up to this point (sorry, no Mickey Haller) is either here or mentioned here. Ok, no Edger either and probably loads more that I've forgot. But, my point is this novel is by no means standalone and requires a bit of reading from other books in Michael Connelly's bibliography to fully get what's happening.

The story is split over 3 viewpoints, the main two are Harry Bosch (first p
Tim
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this story to be all right, but not exceptional. It could have used more action and a clear, refined end in my opinion. 6 of 10 stars
Peter
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series as a nice diversion from some of the more challenging and literary oriented books I read.

Bosch is eminently relatable as the brooding loner, still stinging from the wounds of his youth, and unable to stay close to any woman--unless it's on a case. There's a romanticism about him from afar, even if being him would be a lonely and painful existence.

In Narrows, Connelly brings together several of his regular characters like Terry Mcaleb from Bloodwork and Rachel Walling, the F
Book Addict Shaun
Crime fiction honestly does not get any better than this. Michael Connelly is just phenomenal and Harry Bosch is by far and away this genre’s best character. After abandoning my most recent read I turned back to this series because I knew that it wouldn’t disappoint. In fact, ten books in and it’s still getting better and better. I adore Harry Bosch and could read about him forever, I dread the day there’s a final Bosch novel because I never want that day to come.

The Narrows is another gripping
Cathy DuPont
After a break from Harry Bosch, it was good to get back to see what he was up to.

And it didn't take long for Harry to get back into the life of the most sly character seen in awhile, The Poet.

I think it was GR friend Harry who said reading the The Poet was a must before reading The Narrows and it was good advice.

Harry Bosch, a loner, but the best and brightest of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD), took an early retirement and works now as a P.I.

The wife of a fellow LAPD detective asks
Alex Cantone
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, read-2019
Sometimes the risks you face dictate other risks you must take…

The Narrows opens with two main themes: Bosch, a state-registered PI, is approached by the widow of his one-time partner in the LAPD Terry McCaleb, a heart-transplant recipient who died on the charter boat he owns with his friend Buddy out of Catalina. His widow suspects foul-play and asks Bosch to look into it.

They took a Zodiac with a little one-horse-power engine on it out into the basin where the yachts were lined in rows, tied
Fred
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Bosh Former LAPD detective Harry Bosch, retired, is requested by Graciela McCeleb (wife), to review her husband’s, Terry McCaleb(FBI) death. Not believing when, “Terry was on a boat, he collapsed & they said it was his heart.”

Bosch suspects Robert Backus is the serial killer, “The Poet” whose body was not found in “The Poet” book’s ending murder/fight...

Bosch & Rachel Walling(FBI) chase Backus thru LA rivers & he drowns in the fight - but did Backus really kill McCaleb?

Great Ending

(view spoile
Scott Rhee
“The Narrows”, the tenth book by Michael Connelly to feature his protagonist Harry Bosch, is one of those fun rarities found most commonly on TV and mystery novels and, lately, Marvel superhero movies: a crossover.

Back in 1996, Connelly wrote a disturbing and intense thriller called “The Poet” about a serial killer who dropped references to Edgar Allen Poe’s poetry at his crime scenes. The Poet, although presumed dead, was never actually caught.

Flash forward to 2004. Bosch, who never worked the
Jane Stewart
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Another engaging and well done mystery in the series.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I am impressed with this author consistently writing such good stories. I’m happily doing one right after the other in this 17 book series. Most of my ratings are 4 and 5 stars. The main difference is the emotional feeling I have at the end. A couple of books had me feeling excited and elated at the end. Another book had me feeling hurt for victims and wanting more justice and revenge which I didn’t like and gave it fewer st
David
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who have read all the Michael Connelly books in order (not just the Bosch series), this is a great book. "The Narrows" has follow-up on Harry's struggles as a P.I. and his dealing with the new personal revelation from the end of "Lost Light". It also unites Bosch with crucial cast members and storylines from two other stand-alone novels ( The Poet and Blood Work), and provides an excellent continued storyline. Connelly also takes the narrative standpoint that has made recent Crais work ...more
Debra
Stephen King recommended book and author. In EW, 5/21/04, It's Alive! Alive!, Pop of King, he says: "There's little romantic in ''The Narrows,'' by Michael Connelly (Little, Brown, $25.95), but one does not enter the dark world of ex -- LAPD detective Harry Bosch expecting hearts and flowers. Connelly doesn't always write about Bosch; I've always thought his best book was the gruesome (and excruciatingly suspenseful) ''The Poet,'' published in the mid-'90s. Although the climax of ''The Poet'' wa ...more
Patrick
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FBI agent Rachel Walling finally gets the call she’s dreaded for years, the one that tells her the Poet has surfaced. She has never forgotten the serial killer who wove lines of poetry in his hideous crimes–and apparently he has not forgotten her.

Former LAPD detective Harry Bosch gets a call, too–from the widow of an old friend. Her husband’s death seems natural, but his ties to the hunt for the Poet make Bosch dig deep.

Arriving at a derelict spot in the California desert where the feds are unea
Ms.pegasus
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Michael Connelly fans
Shelves: fiction, thriller
THE NARROWS relies heavily on characters and developments from previous books in the Harry Bosch series. Rachel Walling, the FBI profiler who with journalist Jack McEvoy broke “The Poet” case is back. McEvoy got a best seller out of the case; Rachel got exiled by the FBI to a posting in the Dakotas. Six years after retired FBI profiler Terry McCaleb and Harry Bosch crossed paths in A DARKNESS MORE THAN LIGHT, Bosch is attending McCaleb's funeral. In Book #9 of the series, Bosch first learned of ...more
Rob
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
The Narrows is the sequel to The Poet where a FBI agent turns ruthless killer. Now the poet is back and worse than ever.
Whilst investigating the suspicious death of a friend Harry finds information that puts him on a path that could lead to the Poet.
At the same time FBI agent, Rachel Walling's, who was instrumental in discovering who the Poet was in the first book, is also on the trail of the Poet.
Their paths intersect and Harry and Rachel team up in a desperate attempt to stop the Poets killing
kartik narayanan
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry Bosch in the first person. What? Yes!

I admit I have a soft corner for anything written in the first person especially detective fiction. And so, The Narrows got some brownie points from me right from the get go. And some more for killing Terry off-screen. As for the rest of the story, it is fine.
Gary
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply satisfying
Mike (the Paladin)
This is only the second Harry Bosch novel I've read...though it's the 10th in the series. I found it better than the first. I do think that I've finally hit a stopping or at least a pausing place in my "Michael Connelly marathon".

Mr. Connelly has several characters in several series and they occasionally cross over and interact with each other. We get Rachael involved here with Harry as we (view spoiler) the career of the psychopath known as the Poet. I read this as I w
Stephen
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Poet" which this is the sequel to is one of my least favourite Connelly books but adding Bosch into the equation made this possibly my favourite so far in the series. His character is getting really interesting now that he has a daughter to expose his soft side. This was very hard to put down and the combination of Bosch plus Rachel Walling worked really well. Almost 5 stars except that I felt a bit let down by the abrupt ending which wasn't very satisfactory. However, there was one very cl ...more
Obsidian
I read this for "Murder Most Foul": The Narrows by Michael Connelly which is part of a murder mystery series (Harry Bosch).

A FBI agent named Rachel Walling is trying to track down a serial killer called The Poet. She ends up joining forces with LAPD detective Harry Bosch.

I'm going to suggest that you just plug your nose and suffer through the first 35 percent of the book. Until Bosch and Rachel Walling meet the book reads as two different stories. It doesn't help matters that Connelly chose to
Hard to follow, if you didn't read the Poet? 8 57 Jul 29, 2017 04:34PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 8 12 Dec 30, 2016 06:26AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 10 11 Dec 29, 2016 04:38PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question B 5 7 Dec 29, 2016 06:30AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 4 5 Dec 29, 2016 05:29AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 4 Dec 29, 2016 05:28AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 4 4 Dec 29, 2016 05:25AM

• Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6, Will Robie, #5.5)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #30)
  • The Crossing: by Michael Connelly | Summary & Analysis
  • One Good Deed (Archer, #1)
  • The Drop
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Nothing to Lose (Jack Reacher, #12)
  • Camino Winds (Camino Island #2)
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett, #20)
  • The Guardians
  • Carrier War: Authentic military action in a tense thriller (US Navy Historical Thrillers Book 2)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Lincoln Lawyer): by Michael Connelly -- Sidekick
  • Holy Ghost (Virgil Flowers, #11)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #14)