Start by marking “Taal is zeg maar echt mijn ding” as Want to Read:
Taal is zeg maar echt mijn ding

Taal is zeg maar echt mijn ding

Paulien Cornelisse schrijft over taal. Niet over hoe het zou moeten, of hoe verschrikkelijk het is dat er mensen zijn die 'groter als mij' zeggen. Nee. Het gaat over taal zoals die op dit moment gesproken wordt. Dat is soms walgelijk, en soms aandoenlijk. Wat volgens Paulien Cornelisse in ieder geval vaststaat, is dat mensen bíjna nóóit zeggen wat ze bedoelen. ('Als ik eve ...more
Published September 2009 by Contact (first published April 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Taal is zeg maar echt mijn ding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taal is zeg maar echt mijn ding

Susy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
212 pages of complaining about language in a book titled “Language is really my thing” (or is it?). I actually felt sorry for the writer. Living in a predominantly verbal society, she must have a very hard, frustrating life....
She tries very hard to be funny but often does not succeed, at least in my experience (undoubtedly there will be plenty of people who do find her funny, I’m just not one of them). I liked the preface, laughed 2 or 3 times during the book and learned one new fact,
Ditta Reads
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought this book was hilarious! It is a book with little columns/essays about the Dutch language. Didn't expect to love it so much. The writing style and the humor was right up my alley.

Hilarisch boek! Hier kon ik dus echt wel van genieten.
Jesse
Jul 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
she should be banned from anything that has to do with writing, holding a pen, using a keyboard or speech to textmachine..
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
4 stars.

I've decided to not write full reviews of the Dutch books I've read since my blog is mainly focused on English books. Below a short impression of this book:

It's been years since I last read a book in Dutch and it's easy to say my Dutch is more than a bit rusty. Still, I was able to fly through 'Taal Is Zeg Maar Echt Mijn Ding' in no time whatsoever. Or in this case, during my intercontinental flight back home. It also helped that the subject really woke the inner language nerd in me... I
Rutger
May 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Really terrible book, the pictures don't make any sense and the authoress is very full of herself. The good parts in the book don't make up for the endless self praising parts.
Bianca Klein Haneveld
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Funny, insightful observations. I enjoyed reading it.
Rita
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely my kind of fun book to read!

Short short pieces on words and phrases in Dutch, sometimes new ones, sometimes ones that are old-fashioned or no longer used. Cornelisse is a comedian, and by injecting her own feelings about each word or phrase, she makes it very personal and often quite funny.
Nessie
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read, amusing, sometimes made me chuckle. The book feels somewhat forgetable, however.
Lucas Verbunt
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF 30%. Not for me. I invested time in it so I’m counting it as read.
Jip W
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
( 4/5 stars! Dit was, zeg maar, echt mijn ding! )

Yeah, though I obviously read this book in Dutch, I'm still going to review it in English. Sue me.
Truth is that I've seen this book in practically every book store in the Netherlands (even with the "sequel" to this one) very high praised. And, to be entirely honest, I had no intention whatsoever to read it. Somehow, I don't necessarily like a lot of the Dutch literature that's "praised" (I'm sorry if that offends you) -- sometimes Dutch praised
Grada (BoekenTrol)
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ilze
Recommended to Grada (BoekenTrol) by: Klaas

I think it is a shame that only people who master Dutch are able to read this book.

It is a book about Dutch and the way it is used in every day life. With all its weirdness and strange rules that you're not aware of untill someone makes you aware of them. The way people say things and mean completely the opposite, the way that sayings are of all times, but all times have different sayings.

The writer is my age and maybe that is one of the reasons that for
Gizem
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Definitely not what I had in mind, and I mean this in a bad way. This work is written supposedly to humour readers.
"Dat we dus met onze puristische instelling niet voortdurend moeten sissen ' groter DAN', tegen arme mensen die er niets aan kunnen doen dat ze minder taalgevoel hebben als ons" [p. 169].
Omg, she (intentionally?) said als ons and made a mistake. Cracked me up. Not. It lacked the indepth on why Dutchmen talk the way they do. Just her plain opinions which I could see from a mile awa
Ms Zou
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book makes you aware of language and the things you have heard people say in the past which you only now notice because you are reading about them.

Very interesting book, different from other books I've read. The examples mentioned in this book (and there are loads of them) are recognisable - many of them I can still hear in my memories.
I gained a lot of new knowledge about the Dutch language (and maybe even part of its culture, with its calvinistic moral).

The chapters are written so you c
Maud
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This book probably will get a prize from me. The prize for ''The book that made me laugh out loud the most'' for 2012. I have been smiling all the way through this book and reading parts out loud for friends and family to hear, they eventually got irritated with me saying that instead of listening to me they would prefer to read it themselves. And they should because it is funny to see and realize how weird Dutch language can be.
Pvw
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Cornelisse makes funny observations about trends in language use and then carries them through to the extreme. The author is also a cabaretier; I think that most of her pieces would be more striking on stage, in a comedy routine, than written down. Nontheless, the book contains nice short ideas and is still ideal for a quick read while hanging around on the toilet seat.
Gasl
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Humorous and witty thoughts about the usage of the Dutch language by the Dutch themselves. As usual, the preference of an individual for specific phrases and vocabulary goes along with his desire to present himself. This observation also holds for foreigners who love to adapt new languages for personal usage.
Laurien
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, dutch-books
I love Paulien as a character, as a woman and as a writer. She is completely right when it comes to everything that is wrong with the modern Dutch language and this book made me laugh numereous times.
Monique
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very funny book about how Dutch use or better misuse the Dutch language. I was a little ashamed that there where phrases in it, which I use myself a lot to. I promise to never do that again... I hope.
Johan Haneveld
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
A bit slight, but a quick read, that made me laugh a couple of times, with its witty look at some of the ways people nowadays use language to obfuscate and confuse. The short interludes i did not enjoy that much, but the column size bits were funny.
Librariel
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent read for lovers of the Dutch language. Particularly interesting for a Belgian Dutch speaker to see how the same phenomena occur in the Northern part of the Dutch speaking region, but with different expressions.
Marjolein
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, dutch
I really liked the way it was written, very quick and funny to read. However, not all the cases that Cornelisse adresses are as funny and some are very much alike, only dealing with a slightly different word or phrase.
Alison
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Actually lolled a number of times.
Esther
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
as speech and language therapist it is a joy to read this book!
Jacob Gibbons
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book for someone with intermediate Dutch trying to learn some of the nuances of the language! Both entertaining and informative.
Moem
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Frances
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
3,5 stars!
Donne
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I have always been fascinated by the use of our Dutch language so this book was really funny and really relatable for me!
Elise O.
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I loved this book. It has a ton of subjects. I loved the stile she wrote it in. It's alo really funny.
Magali
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, SO funny. One of my favorite books and I also loved the sequel. Paulien is amazing

• I always get my sin
  • Het zijn net mensen: beelden uit het Midden-Oosten
  • Modermismen (Modermismen, #1)
  • Jip en Janneke
  • Het Helse Paradijs (De Toekomsttrilogie, #2)
  • Paaz (Paaz, #1)
  • Amerikanen lopen niet
  • Hoe God verdween uit Jorwerd: een Nederlands dorp in de twintigste eeuw
  • Magnus
  • We zullen niet te pletter slaan
  • Kees de jongen
  • Het pauperparadijs
  • Oorlogswinter
  • De pianoman
  • Joe Speedboot
  • De co-assistent
  • De kleine keizer: verslag van een passie
“Zelf denk ik dat de meest onderscheidende eigenschap van de mens is: schaamte. Dieren hebben buitengewoon weinig schaamte. Ooit wel eens een hagedis van een tak zien vallen met een blik van 'Oeps! Hihi'?” 23 likes
“Het woord waardoor Nederlanders altijd verraden dat ze Nederlands zijn is 'hè'. 'We went to Disney World, hè, and the kids really liked it, hè.” 20 likes