Start by marking “The Pigeon Wants a Puppy” as Want to Read:
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy

The Pigeon Wants a Puppy (Pigeon)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  17,922 Ratings  ·  745 Reviews
He really, really, REALLY wants one. He'll take good care of it! What's the matter--don't you want him to be happy?!
Published January 2009 by Scholastic, Inc (first published April 1st 2008)

Kathryn
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Pigeon is SO funny. Those expressions... even though he could seem a bit whiney and irksome, he is somehow remarkably endearing. Haha! I'm going to look for more of his adventures.
It's just me Shelly B
I read this book 10 times today:))))) I guess I do reread after all:))))))))

The things you do for your children:)))))))
Cheryl
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dunno. Nothing wrong with it, and of course if you're a fan of Mo Willems you must borrow it from your library... but just not one of his best, imo. I guess because the basic theme has been done *so* *often*....
Jermeria Daniel
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would use this book to introduce the idea of caring for a pet. The class will talk about the responsibilities and then I would introduce my classroom to their very own pet.
Ronyell
After reading Mo Willems’ classic picture book, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus,” I wanted to try out the other books in the “Pigeon” series and I finally stumbled upon “The Pigeon wants a Puppy!” “The Pigeon wants a Puppy” is a great follow up to “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus” and anyone who is a huge fan of Mo Willems’ “Pigeon” series will definitely enjoy this book!

Basically, this story is about how the Pigeon wants to have a puppy and constantly keeps telling the readers about how
Hilary
May 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Krissy
Recommended to Hilary by: Townes v. Z.
Pigeon wants a puppy.
Pigeon wants to drive a bus.
Pigeon wants to eat a whole hot dog.
Pigeon wants to stay up late.

Well, Pigeon wants a lot of stuff now, doesn't he? Pigeon has a large sense of entitlement now, doesn't he? Well, we want Pigeon to be happy now, don't we? We can't deny him anything now, can we? Would that break his little bird-heart to be told every now and then that he should have to work in order to get good things?

Wow. Pigeon is one self-entitled bird. I'm not certain if books l
midnightfaerie
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another awesome Willems book with our favorite lovable silly pigeon. This time he wants a puppy and has no idea the responsibility it takes to own a pet and it's our job to explain it to him. My 3 yr old twins love the books that seemingly talk to them and require a response. It really helps them stay engaged and keeps it interactive. My 5 yr old just enjoys the silly stories. A great addition to any children's collection!
Aanya Shine
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-by-myself
I think the pigeon is silly because it wants a puppy as a pet. I like the part when the puppy came to lick the pigeon.
Dolly
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, pets, 2010
We have loved the Pigeon stories ever since our girls were really little. Mo Willems is an amazing Children's author and we borrow all of his books as soon as we see a new one.

This is a funny story and quite appropriate for this age group. In fact, today our youngest pitched a fit because she saw a cute mouse in the pet store and wanted it right then and there (despite the prebrief before we ever got to the store that we were not purchasing any pets, no way, no how!)

We turned her tantrum into
stephanie
but i think this is my all-time favorite of the pigeon books. because this was me, multiple times, as a kid. i would have done ANYTHING for a puppy, but seriously, that would have been such a disaster.

an EXCELLENT book for parents who have kids who want everything!

(and adults that are okay with laughing at their childhood selves.)

seriously. the pigeon ROCKS.
Polly
Very appreciated by kids, although dangerous if you don't want to start a discussion about who has/wants a dog (and next time I read it, I think I'll bring a picture of a walrus--too many four-year-olds have only a hazy idea what a walrus is--but they still love the book).
Boni
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! More simple and direct than its predecessors, this Pigeon book is less of a game and (dare I say it?) more heartfelt, which in this case, for a change, is a VERY GOOD THING! I'm loving the puppy-wanting pigeon :)
Qt
Such a cute, charming book! The story and art is simple, but amusing and sweet. The Pigeon seems like an endearing character :-)
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Love the pictures and it is so CUTE
Huy
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuốn này hay nhất series và khùng nhất hạng =)). Coi cười như điên :)))
Penny Ramirez
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Mo Willems. The pigeon cracks me up! I thought this would be particularly appropriate for my 20-year-old who really, really, REALLY wants a puppy and thinks we are just being mean by not getting her one.

She wasn't nearly as entertained as I was. Hah.
Erica
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This children's book was a cute little quirky story to read to a young child. The pictures are basic -- but they do not need to be sophisticated. The wording is funny, sure to make your child laugh and giggle with the pigeons silliness as it throws a little tantrum of how badly it wants a pet puppy. Overall a good story. I highly recommend it!
Susan
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Pigeon. You little rascal.
Amanda Hoffman
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute book, this is definitely relatable with children. It can teach about want and need. It also gives you an idea of thinking through your choices and what would happen if you make quick decisions. I am going through "this book" with my daughter and how she is very sure she NEEDS a puppy. Maybe we need to read this book together?!
Elora Sommerauer
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this children's picture book to read because almost all kids like a story about animals and find that animal stories are always entertaining and fun to read. I found this book to be very interesting with the idea of a pigeon wanting a puppy, it goes to show how children may want something, even if they know nothing about the item that they want. I liked how the pigeon was very persistent on getting or wanting a puppy by the end of the book, it reminded me of my nephews and how if they wa ...more
Linda
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: controlled-vocab
Pigeon wants a puppy. Really, pigeon wants a puppy and promises to take good care of it. Pigeon is a sassy bird who knows what he wants and will do his best to convince you of the same. The vocabulary is simple and would be easy for any beginning reader to attempt. The illustrations are also simple, but in an almost retro eye-catching way. Pre K and K.

From NYT:
"Willems proves once more that crayoned ornithology and impassioned monologues to the reader…can roost indefinitely in literature's rafte
Sarah Sammis
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
In fall 2007, Mo Willems ran a contest for children to name the newest Pigeon book. The resulting book is The Pigeon Wants a Puppy. So from hot dogs to dogs.

In this book the Pigeon teaches the important lesson of "be careful what you wish for." Usually the pigeon books focus on him not getting what he wants. Not this time. The pigeon wants a puppy and the pigeon gets a puppy.

Now just stop for a moment and think about this because the Pigeon certainly didn't. The Pigeon is well, pigeon sized. The
Amy
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Poor pigeon. In this latest Mo Willems tale, another age old childhood desire consumes pigeon. He wants a puppy. He wants one now and he is prepared to do anything for it! Until, that is, he meets one!

Willems' simple illustrations are easy for children to identify with. The story is fun-loving and goofy, perfect for young children 2-6 years old. Teachers could do a shared writing experience with this story and create a chart where each child shares a sentence that begins like "I wanted a ___". I
Kiah Ballard
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty hilarious. This was the first book from Mo Willems pigeon series that ive read and pigeon's persistence with the bold letters were pretty funny to me. I think children would love this book especially if you as the the reader gave Pigeon a funny sounding voice. I would also use this book to talk to the children in my class about what things are needed to take care of a puppy. This could even spark a pet store themed dramatic play area where children could come and buy pets an ...more
April
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture_books
Sometimes an author can overdo things... same character over and over and it just seems tired and uncreative and a series loses it appeal... BUT this is not what happened with the beloved Pigeon! He wants a puppy ... he really does... and he'll say and do anything to convince you of it. Well, we'll see what happens when he comes face-to-face with a dog...will the pigeon change his tune? Don't skip over the end papers or the title page & verso, you'll really miss out. I discovered that the pi ...more
The Pigeon never ceases to amuse me. He cracks me up. I love how Mo Willems can draw such a delightful character with only a few strokes of the pen and you have this crazy little bird who's emotions are etched across his face in such a hilarious manner. This book is definitely a keeper, buy it for all your friends!

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
RitaSkeeter
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, children
The pigeon wants a puppy. He doesn't just want the puppy he wants it RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW . And in typical pigeon he loses the plot as he wheedles, demands, and begs for a puppy. But has he bitten off more than he can chew? We really enjoyed this instalment - it's one of the pigeon's better books.

My rating: 5/5
Master 6's rating: 7/5 - silly pigeon!
Master 3's rating: 5/5 - cats are much better than puppies (I agree young padawan, I agree).
Lisa Vegan
This is a very, very, very simple book; the text and illustrations are both very spare. It’s also funny and great for beginning readers and younger children. As a puppy loving person I enjoyed it even though it’s much more about the pigeon than the puppy. The story was almost too simple for me but it had an amusing enough “surprise” ending.
Shakeema Gabriel
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
I just love this series. You could introduce this book during an animal unit or if we wanted to talk about pets. I would asked who had a pet maybe we could draw pictures of our pet and if we didn't have a pet what kind of pet do we want. I would ask the children questions like why would a pigeon want a pet. These books are cute and silly.
Becky Keir Grace
This must be one of my favorite children’s picture books. Pigeon wants a puppy and does everything he can to prove he deserves this puppy. The expressions pigeons make are hilarious, and as always these are a riot to read aloud. The kids get such a kick out of these books!
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Little Pea
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • Bear's New Friend (The Bear Books)
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
  • But Excuse Me That is My Book (Charlie and Lola)
  • Good Boy, Fergus!
  • Not a Stick
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Grumpy Bird
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Olivia and the Missing Toy
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Pigeon (8 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

“I Want A Puppy! Right Here! Right Now!” 2 likes