Start by marking “Mrs. Malory and Any Man's Death” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Malory and Any Man's Death

Mrs. Malory and Any Man's Death

(Mrs. Malory Mysteries #19)

The village of Mere Barton would be a different place without local busybody Annie Roberts. Standing only five feet tall, the tireless retired nurse organizes and oversees all local activity with military precision. When Sheila Malory gets roped into Annie?s latest project, a compilation of the village?s history, she has a feeling it will lead to trouble. But the project i ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by NAL (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Malory and Any Man's Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Malory and Any Man's Death

Damaskcat
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annie Roberts is a bully though no one seems willing to stand up against her including Sheila Malory. As a result Sheila dins herself persuaded to compile a history of the village in which Annie has lived all her life. Then Annie dies unexpectedly and Sheila wonders if the death was quite as much of an accident as it appears. After all, Annie prided herself on her ability to identify edible fungi.

The problem nags at Sheila all the time she is collecting old photographs and reminiscences from th
GeraniumCat
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, mystery
The usual rather gentle mystery from Hazel Holt - their merits are in the character of their amateur detective, Sheila Malory, who can't help investigating suspicious deaths even while wondering whether she should pry into people's secrets. Sheila's domestic life with her dog and cat, and her observations about life are as important as her investigations, and this series makes M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin look gritty!
Falina
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice relaxing British mystery.
Jane
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I think I've read all of those that are available and each one was a fun read. I'll say it again as I've said before I love the endings. Most of the time there is a dilemma as to how she will handle the perpetrator's future. This series is civilized and "quiet". They're full of interesting characters - some very colorful. And most of them are not as they seem which makes it so much more fun.
Audrey
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the 19th installment of one my favorite cozy mystery series, Mrs Malory series by Hazel Holt. These are perfect books to read on cold winter evenings with a hot cup of cocoa by my reading chair and my purring cat on my lap.

I love Mrs Malory all the residents of the little English village she lives in and this one involves a busy body who sticks her nose into someone else's business once to often!
Shannon
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of "cozy" English murders
Hazel Holt is a cross between Miss Read and Agatha Christie. Her forte is small-town English life viewed from a somewhat nostalgic point of view, with a mild-mannered murder thrown in for interest! The one here, death by poisonous mushroom, is not ever even officially a murder, but the series heroine, Sheila Malory, thinks something fishy is going on and so she keeps snooping until she finds something! The hardest thing to swallow in the whole book is why people would readily expose their former ...more
Lyn Soulia smith
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
enjoyed the characters and this light mystery. Always a fun read.
John Vanek
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
The plot moved a bit slowly for my taste, and the female characters came across as gossips and rumormongers. Not my cup of tea.
Lorraine Shaw
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not bad
Clare O'Beara
2009 is the publication date of this amateur sleuth tale but it feels much earlier as I would have expected to see use of the internet. The tale is set in a West Country village with all older characters, few of whom are original village dwellers. Sadly the feel is somewhat homogenous although efforts are made to focus on the vicar or others to establish them as suspects in the mystery.

A woman is foreseeably killed by use of the mushrooms and fungi she likes to pick and use for cooking. Or was
Mandolin
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it

Sheila Malory respects but also resents the take-charge attitude of a local retired nurse, Annie Roberts. Small in size but big in personality (or bossiness), Annie essentially runs the village and controls the activities of its inhabitants. Even Sheila isn't immune to her domineering personality and finds herself involved in the writing of the village's history because she can't tell Annie "no." Before the project is even started, though, Annie dies of mushroom poisoning. Most people are willin
Dharia Scarab
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
A quick, light English mystery,

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find another book by the author for unde
Claudia
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
There's a very strange feel to this novel. It's almost like it can't decide what it wants to be, a sort of cosy, chummy murder mystery like Midsommer Murders, or something more along the lines of a psychological murder mystery. I think that in the hands of an author who wrote more clearly, this is a mixture that could work well, but this is not that author. It took me until about chapter four to figure out who was narrating, and who said what frequently confused me.

The behaviour of the character
Maureen Vincent-Northam
Any Man’s Death is a gentle whodunit with nicely drawn characters including Hazel Holt’s regular sleuth, Sheila Malory, who you can’t help liking.

Sheila is persuaded to help produce a book about the history of Mere Barton – a nearby village – by one of the village’s busybodies, Annie Roberts. When Annie is found dead and murder is suspected, there are plenty of likely candidates. What was the hold Annie had on so many people and does Sheila get at the truth or does a murderer go free? The soluti
Susan
Dec 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Annie Roberts, retired district nurse, rules the little village where she's always lived. she persuades everyone to work on her projects, including a reluctant Sheila Malory, who finds herself working on the village history. When Annie dies after eating the fungi she is so proud of picking herself, everyone seems to relax--and Sheila gradually realizes that Annie has been holding their secrets over their heads. Perhaps someone was unhappy enough with her behavior to poison her mushrooms? Once Sh ...more
Sandy Weir
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Okay, now I am addicted to these very comfortable mysteries. Blood and gore are far from my sight and mind and things end up balancing out pretty well for everyone after a deductive inspection of concerns. OF special pleasure is the intuition our leading lady exhibits and her honesty (especially regarding her own foibles) and her great friendship with Rosemary! But... but I do worry a bit that Sheila is going to adopt every villain's dog, cat or horse and this makes her even more of a hero to me ...more
Gloria Mccracken
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A pleasant cozy mystery in a pleasant cozy mystery series. (This is about the 12th or so book). Mrs. Malory is a nice, comfortable woman (even if she does sometimes get pushed around by local village bullies) and someone it's nice and comfortable to spend time with. It's no wonder that so many village residents are happy to confide her secrets to her, which is how she so often puts two and two together and comes up with the right answer.

Just right for a snowy afternoon or two.
Carolyn
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy-s
Such fun. Perhaps the fact that Shelia (Mrs. Malory) is over the age of 50 and thus brings a different perspective to mysteries is what initially charmed me. But she also has an active mind and is all too human, something she doesn't deny or excuse. As you can see a quick read - a bit of a page turner.
Debbie Mcclelland
Another great book!

I felt as if I was right there in the village, in the parsonage, at the seaside! Ms Holt paints a very clear picture with her words and, as always, the story is well plotted. She keeps her characters true throughout all the books; its like running into an old friend at the pharmacy!
Virginia Walter
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Mrs. Malory is pressured by an unpleasant woman in a neighboring village to write a history of that town. The woman dies, and Mrs. Malory begins to think that she was murdered because she was blackmailing many of the villagers. But who among her victims committed the crime?
Tiina
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an Agatha Christiesque novel, but without a detective. All the cast are suspected in turn, and wait - is the death even a murder? The story is rather benign, which can be a nice change after a book full of evil doings.

The weak point of the book is also that it's not very intriguing.
Christina
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
Hazel Holt is one of my favorite mystery writers. Her books are suitably cozy, yet stylish and literate. She always does a great job of capturing the English village atmosphere. This book has an unusual (but appropriate) ending.
Andy Plonka
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: src
I used to lie this series and it is still a gentle quick read, but I can only tolerate so much cozy
Judy
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Lots of ethical decisions here; no real crimes, but all the more interesting for that.
Tessa
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A pleasant enjoyable read.
Mary
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actually a surprise ending. Not so much the who... but the why and therefore... A great author, I'm glad a have a couple more of hers in my pile of reading for the coming months
Nathalie S
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm so excited to have found another so called British cozy! The book drew me in right away and was so very pleasant to read. Welcome to my collection, Sheila Malory!
Terry
Sep 19, 2015
Lillie
Feb 12, 2010
Judy
Jul 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Hazel Holt is a British novelist. She studied at King Edward VI High School for Girls in Birmingham, England, and then Newnham College, Cambridge. She went on to work at the International African Institute in London, where she became acquainted with the novelist Barbara Pym, whose biography she later wrote. She also finished one of Pym's novels after Pym died.

Holt wrote her first novel in her six

Mrs. Malory Mysteries (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • The Cruellest Month (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #2)
  • Mrs. Malory's Shortest Journey (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #3)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders