Start by marking “Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One (Dar!, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One (Dar!, #1)

Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One (Dar! #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  473 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
As seen online at DarComic.com, DAR! chronicles the six year long autobiographical story of Erika Moen, a lost 20-year-old lesbian artist-wannabe in college who falls in love with a boy in England and the evolution that her sexual identity undergoes before winding up marrying him as a queer 26-year-old full-time cartoonist. Along the way there are many vignettes about sex, ...more
Published April 2009 by Erika Moen

To ask other readers questions about Dar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dar

Gayle Francis Moffet
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Honest, funny, sexy, embarrassing, and cute as hell. Erika Moen has a natural talent for knowing which parts of her life are the best to share, even if those parts aren't the ones you think she'd tell you.

As it's a series of strips, there's not much to say about the ongoing narrative except that there is one, and it's very sweet and fun and sometimes it hurts a little, but the honesty Erika Moen gives in her work makes it all lovely.

2017 update: Re-read this on a whim, and I was as delighted as
Audacia Ray
Dec 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Moen's approach to gender and sexuality is light and cute, and I definitely enjoyed the read.

I'm not a regular reader of her comics though, and this piece on the Bitch Magazine blog was pointed out to me, about a strip in which Erica fetishizes trans men http://www.bitchmagazine.org/post/rad...

Complex stuff, but basically - just because it's light and cute doesn't mean it isn't also transphobic and damaging.
Jenna
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting and I did like the drawing style. Some of the strips seemed to be inside jokes so I wasn't quite sure how to take them. But overall I did enjoy this series and it was fun to follow Erika through her evolution.
Kathryn Hemmann
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three things I love about Dar:

(1) the way Erika Moen draws,
(2) the way Erika Moen writes, and
(3) the way Erika Moen tells jokes.

I wish I had discovered this comic earlier in my life, because it is fantastic.
Antonomasia
Have I read this or am I still Currently Reading? Not clear where vol. 1 ends, and I'm reading it on the website.

I loved Bucko, on which Moen collaborated with Jeff Parker - that was hilarious - but I don't really click with this. I wanted it to be funnier, or to like the art more. I wanted prettier words and/ or pictures. Hmm, I think the only time I really enjoyed a simply drawn, serious autobiographical comic was because I was acquainted with the writer. Probably these aren't my sort of thin
Jennifer Hendzlik
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I sat down with this as a much needed break from committee reading as it was a recent gift that had a lot of meaning behind it.

DAR is a honest and intimate look at a woman who is super funny, crass and finds herself in complete confusion when she gets a lady boner(omg, I could not write this without putting that in here) for a guy when she identifies as a lesbian. You know how people say how important it is to see self-representation in this life? I've felt that as a woman, I've felt that as a
SA
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
Oh, Erika Moen, you wonderful creature.

This and Volume Two are a mixed collection of Moen's autobio comics over a number of years. I never read Dar when it was active online, so it was fun to go back and read this for the first time. There were a couple in there that just made my heart squeeze; but knowing how happy she is now makes the darkness here all the more remarkable because you know what's happening next. (Moen and her husband reside in Portland and are regular figures on the comics sce
Raina
Love this. Moen wrote a regular webcomic for years and they are compiled in this book. I met her at a PLA gathering and we chatted for quite a while. So she signed my copy. It's a meandering story, which doesn't necessarily follow a set plot as it's just a regular autobio comic. However, she deals with being a lesbian who falls in love with a man, minutae of life, and other dramas of a young twentysomething coming to age. Great stuff, I can't wait for her next stuff.
Jody
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-comics
I picked this up at TCAF without having read Erika Moen's stuff. I'm sort of glad I hadn't, because I would have made such an idiot fangirl out of myself had I read this first. Not to mention, within the first few pages I discovered we both had the same birthday and also studied in Aix-en-Provence. We should totally be friends!

I laughed out loud and was compelled to share these with friends. Can't wait to read volume 2.
Jamie R
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
I adore her work. It's funny, honest, and doesn't flinch away from talking about sex and gender.

Her explorations of her identity as a lesbian who fell in love with a man aren't exactly topics you come across often, even in the feminist community, and I appreciate Erika sharing her voice and story with us.
Melody
Mar 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked it up at my library and started reading it before my class. It was a little uncomfortable to be reading in public, though, what with the graphic nature of several of the pictures. So I took it home and finished it. It put me in mind of Ariel Schrag with its unflinching honesty and nakedness. Interesting stuff.
Julia Wehr
Dec 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Stylistically, Erika Moen's first volume of her collection of web comics are enjoyable, but content wise there's too much to be desired. I appreciate weirdness and quirkiness and honesty but these strips are gratingly gross and pointless, lacking any strong narrative or insight other than "sexuality is strange."
Sarra
Mar 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Page 87 features an ugly "special ed" joke. What is with indie comics & cartoonists and ableism? It's practically a cliche at this point, and I'm beyond tired of it. Special Ed jokes are particularly nasty because it's children they're taking aim at - and dehumanizing.
Christian Lipski
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Moen is very very honest and funny about what she likes, what she doesn't, and everything in between. You want to know how a lesbian falls in love with a man? How a cartoonist makes end meet? Here it is. Dar! is full of laughs and love and farts.
Natasha
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Semi-biographical comics from a 20-something who thought she was a lesbian until she fell in love with and married a dude. Funny, irreverent, sophomoric, insightful, offers some interesting and humorous insight into bisexuality and some challenges society imposes, in comic format.
Olavia Kite
Jul 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Autobiography or just a bunch of inside jokes? Amid the sex positive discourse, which I think Moen goes on to explore further and better on her later work, the whole thing just feels like "cute (i.e., boring) adventures of a couple—with an EDGE!"
Besha
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I don’t particularly like diary comics, but this was recommended to me. Amidst the O I AM SO WHIMSICAL! MY LIFE IS SO QUIRKY! LOOK AT THIS CUTE THING THAT HAPPENED! I found a few strips that I read and reread and reread again because they touched a nerve. So.
Rachel
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot! It's a fun autobiographical story about a queer girl. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a more real-life, adult oriented comic. Please note however that it is intended for adults so it does have nudity and sexual situations in it.
Janet
Nov 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, graphic
Autobiographical comic by a young woman who lives in Portland. She posts DAR on-line, and this is the collection of it from when it "stopped sucking" until recently. It's well drawn and very funny. She's at turns vulgar, sexy, and heartfelt.
Abbey
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
autobiographical webcomic now released in book form. erika's grapples with her changing identity in a hilarious, honest way. not afraid to poke fun at herself, and others.

enjoyable. 3.5 stars, if possible.
Yossi Gremillion
Nov 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
DREADFUL!
Carla
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book! I recently discovered Erika Moen's comics and I feel in love with them! I am laughing non stop! Definitely worth it!
Shoshanna
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny. Cutesy. Not a long story, but a bunch of little comics. Lots of sex, but doesn't feel shitty, prob because she's a woman and is Feminist?
Katie Shuter Rompala
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: over-and-over
Loved it!
Kathy
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reading Dar always makes me happy!
Angela Boyle
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I literally laughed so hard I almost threw up. It took me about 5 minutes to calm down enough to set the book down. One of the funniest books I have read in a long time. If you like sex jokes. :)
Green
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
this girl is gross, annoying, repetitive, and over the top. Not for me, i suppose.
Emily
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tcaf-2011
Erika is hilarious. This is not at ALL a safe comic to read in public, and don't read the web version at work, unless your job is cool with sexybits.
Jason
  • A Matter of Life
  • The Shiniest Jewel: A Family Love Story
  • Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me
  • Radiator Days
Erika Moen is a freelance cartoonist born June 25, 1983 and graduated with an Illustrated Storytelling self-designed degree from Pitzer College in 2006. She lives in Portland, Oregon where she has been a member of Periscope Studio since 2008. Having created comics for well over a decade, her work has been published by Dark Horse, Image, Villard and Scholastic, among many others. In addition to cre ...more
More about Erika Moen...

Dar! (2 books)
  • Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume Two (Dar!, #2)