Start by marking “The Lost Prince” as Want to Read:
The Lost Prince

Read Book

The Lost Prince

Where was the prince? They must see him and tell him their ultimatum. It was he whom they wanted for a king. They trusted him and would obey him. They began to shout aloud his name, calling him in a sort of chant in unison, "Prince Ivor--Prince Ivor--Prince Ivor!'' But no answer came. The people of the palace had hidden themselves, and the place was utterly silent.
Paperback, Abridged, 336 pages
Published January 1st 1997 by Puffin Books (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Prince, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Only you can answer that, as tastes are so subjective. I have read it twice and am currently listening to it on audiobook from Librivox.org. It's an…moreOnly you can answer that, as tastes are so subjective. I have read it twice and am currently listening to it on audiobook from Librivox.org. It's an adventure tale. The Penguin/Puffin edition is an abridgement that cuts out a lot of the philosophizing that appears in the uncut edition, you might prefer that one.

As I say, I'm on my third reading and I don't waste time with "unworth it" books.(less)

Wealhtheow
Jan 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Marco is a 12 year old boy raised by his father and his father's devoted servant. They live in dingy little rented rooms that are visited by secretive gentlemen. They travel constantly, and Marco has been trained since birth to pass as a native of any of the countries in Europe. When a crisis hits, Marco needs all of his training and devotion to his father.

This is a romantic tale, not in the sense of love but in the sense that it's a fantasy of how European feudalism works, a bit like The Prison
Michele
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, buckle-my-swash
An excellent read, though maybe a little clean and tidy by modern standards. For once Burnett has given her protagonist a loving parent, if perhaps a little too good to be true. The elements of Eastern religion are woven into the story in an interesting way, and it's nice to see a story focused on non-white non-Western characters (Marco and his father Stefan are from the fictional East European country of Samavia, which was small but happy and prosperous until it fell into civil war). I suspect ...more
Sineala
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a solid gold book by the genius who wrote the Secret Garden.

It features:

a 12 year old military genius

a quest, with crutches

a noble honest and true prince and his faithful snarky smart companion

someone nicknamed The Rat who is a dreamboat and a military genius!

... oh no, I see I've made a fatal mistake, all is discovered, look, don't arrest me, I was much younger when I first read it.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Thanks to Librivox.org and Susan Umpleby, the reader, for this audiobook version of a classic. I bought a copy of the (abridged) paperback edition and read it several years ago. Librivox has recorded the complete, uncut edition which includes a great deal more philosophy and mysticism than the paperback. I usually hate abridged editions, but this time I think they were onto a good thing. Burnett was a follower of Christian Science (which is neither Christian, nor science, as is often the way of ...more
Christa
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps my estimate of the this book is influenced by how emotionally connected I am to the characters so settle in for a bit of a story.
When I first read this book it was simply because I knew to increase my vocabulary I needed to read classics as they tended to have more stimulating vocabulary that the other books in the sections of the library for my fellow 8th graders. I, being tired of finding books that bored me senseless, was rather wary of starting The Lost Prince. As I began the book I
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful and powerful book. This book has earned a place of honor on my bookshelves. I want all my children to read it! It is a classic of the first class! This book is heavy duty on the reading and vocabulary, many youngters of today would have a hard time getting into it at first, but once they understand where the story is going, I bet they won't be able to put it down!

So many things to learn from studying this story: What it means to be a man, the influence of a good Father on a
Lara Mi

I finished the The Lost Prince with very mixed feelings. There's a lot to like about it and it's got some wonderful scenes and characters. But at the same time, it has some grave flaws which, I'm afraid, weigh too heavily on the overall plot.

Although a particular time is never mentioned, one can assume this story takes place during the author's lifetime. Either way, I doubt it is set much further from our current time than about 100 years - the setting is too recent for me to find this plot beli
Emily
Jun 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Secret Garden and A Little Princess
Shelves: childrensbooks
Marco Lorestan, the hero of this story, is the lesser-known brother to Mary Lennox and Sara Crewe (and I guess Little Lord Fauntleroy, which, unbelievably, I have never read). I've always wondered why so few people have heard of this book, because Burnett's other stories are so famous, and the theme, about a clever, odd, out-of-place child coming of age in trying circumstances is very similar. It might be because all the characters are male and Burnett is not an especially convincing masculine w ...more
Monika
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had a feeling it would be great and I wasn't wrong. It was a very pleasant novel. I like almost everything about it: characters, places, adventures - all are very interesing.
I admit that the plot is very predictable but it didn't bother me. I could easly connected with the story and characters.

Young Marco is lovely. He has also this beautiful kindness, gentleness and wisdom which make him even more interesting as a child character. Also his father is a very strong character. And I felt sympat
Juliana Es
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, ebook, classics
As much as I love Secret Garden and A Little Princess, the same can't be said for this novel. It is okay, but I think it stretches far too long and moves a bit too slow. Burnett, I'm afraid, did not create a convincing strong male protagonist in the form of a twelve-year-old boy, even though she did inject good characteristics that not only I'd love any children to have, but myself, too.

I'd willingly reread A Little Princess and Secret Garden word by word anytime, but not The Lost Prince. The pl
Chrissie
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, favorites
This book is hardly known, and yet it to is written by the author of The Secret Garden. It was not the plot that engaged me, when I read it years ago, but how I felt for Marco and the Rat. I was in their shoes. When they were hurt, I was hurt. When they were happy, I was too. The author made me, a child, feel complete empathy for these two fictional characters.

I wonder if I would love it so much now, but for me then, it was one of the best books ever written. That is why I have given it 5 stars
Yolanda
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How did I miss this book before? I just finished it last night. It is enchanting, and I love the happy ending. This is F.H. Burnett at his best.
Grace
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
When I first bought my kindle, I wanted some books on it, but I didn’t want to pay for them (since I had just spent a bunch on the kindle). I was going through the free book list on kindle, and I saw some books by one of my favorite childhood authors, Frances Hodgson Burnett. Of course, I grabbed The Secret Garden, just to have it, but I also downloaded a book of hers that I had not yet read, The Lost Prince. (It’s still available for free on kindle, by the way.)

The main character, Marco, is a
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has not aged well

While I have read and loved the little princess and forgiven any classism a and imperialists because of the time it was written in , I find that the list prince does not carry enough enduring qualities to remain a book lived and still read.

It is the story of a boy and later his best friend, who , along with his father want to free a small European country from a cruel despot. And science this was written before WWI the way they want to do so is to restore the rightful king to h
Brenda Clough
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
If you are a Lord Peter Wimsey fan, then you remember in HAVE HIS CARCASE when Harriet Vane settles down in the boarding house and, instead of writing her novel, reads romantic novels? This must be one of the novels she read. In which a young man, raised in the most unpromising of circumstances, nevertheless exhibits innate nobility and royalty and finally steps forward to take the throne.
This plot almost cries out for parody, but in fact it's quite serious (like a similar work, GRAUSTARK). Jus
Erica (ricci.reads)
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Unexpected Spiritualist teachings from Edwardian children's author.

I have such a weakness for the writing of Frances Hodgeson Burnett, her insight into the imagination of a child is always a pleasure, never anything less than sophisticated. I enjoyed this a great deal (although The Secret Garden will remain my favourite.)
Rachel
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I should stop reading reviews for beautiful old children's classics like this one, because I enjoy them so much, but it seems the rest of the world is cynical. So is it predictable? Is the main character Too Good To Be Believed? Of course. But sometimes that's part of the charm. I love old books, and I wish there was more quality literature like it today.
gina
somewhat predictable but cute story of a boy working for a cause greater than himself.
Gloriamarie
One is either a fan of Burnett's or one is not. I am a fan. And while the melodrama may not be for everyone, I loved it.

This book is about Marco Loristan, his father, and his friend, a street urchin called "The Rat". Marco's father, Stefan, is a Samavian patriot working to overthrow the cruel dictatorship in the kingdom of Samavia. Marco and his father come to London where Marco strikes up a friendship with a crippled street urchin known as The Rat. The friendship occurs when Marco overhears The
6thbreed
The Lost Prince was totally clean in the romance department. *SPOILERS* There was a pretty lady whom Marco helps, but she turned out to be a spy. *END SPOILERS*
Even in the violence area it was still fine. There is talk of wars, bloodshed, scheming, spies and people dying, but it’s not really the close-up-describing kind of violence.
There are some high ideals included in this book, which I thought was good. I read a review saying that Loristan reminded the reviewer of aspects of Jesus, and I do
Susana Silva
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
What a terrible book.

The Lost Prince was intriguing at first and it captured my interest, however as it progressed I disliked it more and more. There are many things wrong with this book, but what I disliked the most is the extreme classism and how the protagonist is portrayed.

Marcus the protagonist, is portrayed as this amazingly perfect child who can do no wrong and who is superior to his peers. Not only is it unrealistic but completely unrelatable to young boys and girls for whom this book i
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Story

I think this is a great book. I love the solemn, important feel it gave. So far, I have loved all of Francis Hodgeson Burnett's books; I love how they all focus on children. I loved the descriptions she gives of the various places. It makes me feel as if I were traveling there myself.
It is true, you can pretty well guess the ending early on, but then again, the mere title of the book would make you guess, so I do not think it took away from the story, especially when Marco hims
Catricia
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: overdrive
When I first discovered this book, I wondered why it wasn't as popular as some of Burnett's other works - The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy. Upon reading it, I realized it isn't quite ready for modern audiences - particularly due to her insertion of Secret-esque philosophy that preaches to the reader in several instances - but it has great potential if it could be rewritten and reworked. The disabled protagonist, daring spylike adventure and a far-off country at war gi ...more
Magdalena Antonina
The story is nice and simple but there is many wise, deep words in there that even a grown up, or maybe especially a grown up, can ponder upon. It can also inspire you to be a better person. It transfers good, noble thoughts by example of characters, by dialogs etc.

It's one of those books that do good in you. You feel or want to be a better person after reading this. It fills you with beauty, good thoughts and intentions. And for that - it's just beautiful.
Bonnie
Jun 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
An entertaining book that makes predestination and reincarnation seem possible if not plausible. The main character is a Boston socialite who has a secret second life predicting the future and acting upon her beliefs.
Famous people, such as Freud, Jung and William James are part of the story; we learn about their philosophies and effect on civilization. The plot has a lot of interesting twists and turns that stimulate and stretch the imagination.
Emmeline
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I can't believe that I've never read this! I was enchanted by the gorgeous writing, and the romantic far-away feel to it. Its patrioism and heroism and the goodness of the hero enthralled me. That said, there was a good deal of eastern mysticism in there which I didn't enjoy. It was quite preachy in parts.

Overall a nice little book with rather too much mystical, Universe content :)
Michael
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was like a mystery adventure novel for 9 year old boys, in which there's no adventure, and the mystery is made so obvious in the first few chapters that you want to throw the book at a wall, except I listened to the audio version on my phone, and I wasn't going to throw my phone.
Adelle
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was wholly original. Even so, I could tell what was coming at the end. In some ways it was a bit repetitive. While it was a good book, her other books were more engaging to me.
C Cain
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books Need to know author name so as not to be confused with another title of same name
  • Jack and Jill
  • Cleopatra
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • Hans Brinker
  • Three John Silence Stories (John Silence #1)
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume Two (Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and Cardinal Chang #1.2)
  • The Peterkin Papers
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • Snap
  • I Know Not (The Legacy of Fox Crow, #1)
  • The Picts & the Martyrs or Not Welcome at All (Swallows and Amazons, #11)
  • New Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #3)
  • When the Sirens Wailed
  • Convergent Space
  • House of Corruption
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
“Two years before, a rival claimant to the throne had assassinated the then reigning king and his sons, and since then, bloody war and tumult had raged. The new king was a powerful man, and had a great following of the worst and most self-seeking of the people. Neighboring countries had interfered for their own welfare's sake,” 0 likes