Start by marking “Bylines: A Photobiography of Nellie Bly” as Want to Read:
Bylines: A Photobiography of Nellie Bly

Bylines: A Photobiography of Nellie Bly

Bylines is the latest title from award-winning biographer Sue Macy. Nellie Bly was a pioneering American journalist who lived by the belief that "Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything." This credo took her from humble origins in Cochran’s Mill, Pennsylvania, a town named after her father, to the most exotic cities around the globe by the time she was ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Bylines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bylines

♥ Sandi ❣

A picture biography of Elizabeth Cochran, aka Nellie Bly. Short, but very informational,with numerous pictures. Well worth the read if interested in this early trail blazer.
Aspasia
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
A short an interesting biography of a woman I had never heard of before. Nellie Bly was one of the first female journalists to go undercover. She was adventurous yet also used her journalistic skills and connections to help others in need.
Brenda Kahn
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Highly readable, accompanied by intriguing photos and plenty of suggestions for further reading.
Meredith
I liked the Childhood of Famous Americans book I read when I was like 9 better than this one. It just seemed flat. You could do an "Amazing Race" lesson based on her and Elizabeth Bisland, though. And her undercover reporting was remarkable.
Susan
Mar 27, 2013 added it
Wow! I did not know how amazing Nellie Bly was. This is a wonderful book with really terrific pictures. Thank you, my public library, for having a display of books about women in the children's section for Women's History month. i learned a lot because of it.
Amy  Brobst
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017andbefore
I really liked this book. It was simple to read, which as a teacher, I think will be great for children to understand. I learned several interesting new facts about Nellie Bly, including that her penname was based on the song Nelly Bly, and that she was one of several children, and that her real name was Elizabeth Cochran, and she changed it to Cochrane when she attending school to become a teacher. She didn't start out as a reporter right away, she wrote a column based on the role of women in s ...more
Emily
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very concise history of Nellie Bly's life and influence. Great period photos and list of resources for further study. Perfect for elementary and middle school students.
Janet Frost
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Photobiography, perfect! Continuing on my picture book biographies journey this summer, I found this gem. The name Nellie Bly seemed vaguely familiar, but I really had no idea who she was. My husband thought she was a jazz singer, I thought maybe someone from the fateful Titanic. I was in about the right time period.
The fact is Nellie Bly was the pseudonym for Elizabeth Cochrane a ground-breaking female journalist at the turn-of-the-century (1900 not Y2K). She was a fascinating woman who had
carissa
Recommended Ages: grades 4 and up

Nellie Bly was born Elizabeth Jane Cochran in 1864, in an age when many women led unassuming lives. Her life would make people sit up and take notice: When she wasn’t making history herself, she was writing about others who did. Rarely has anyone left a more detailed record of her place in the world than Nellie Bly. In a very public life, she shared her feelings and opinions through her writing and embraced the struggles of all classes of Americans who were fight
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I adore Nellie Bly, and this book only increases my interest in my heroine. She watched her mother grow old in a horrible marriage and determined that wasn't for her. So, she becomes a newspaper reporter in the age where women were expected to fade to the background and be silent. However, Nellie decides instead to report on conditions in a notorious sanatorium by having herself committed. Later, she decides to break the record of traveling around the world by doing it all by herself, meeting Ju ...more
Kristen
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love discovering a new, real hero in a well-written biography. Nellie Bly lived an amazing life, writing exposes on social injustice for newspapers, traveling the world in less than 80 days back before flying was an option, supporting herself with her writing as an unmarried woman before women even had the right to vote. The one thing missing - more samples of Nellie's own writing.
Margo Harpster
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was just a taste of a biography of this fabulous woman. Her life was an excellent example for young women who want to make a difference and have a career in journalism. I loved her courage to go into the insane asylum for women to do her expose of conditions. I need to read a longer version!
Marguarite Markley
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
What an amazing woman! Nellie Bly, aka Elizabeth Cochrane, changed the face of American journalism. She paved the way for future female journalists. Bylines... is terribly well-written. Pages of text are alternated with enormous (most bigger than 8 1/2 x 11) photographs. Children and adults will be captivated by Nellie's story.
Ann
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After listening to a podcast about Nellie Bly, I wanted to read a bit more about her. This children's book was the perfect thing! Short and concise with a lot of pictures! Nellie was a woman with a mission, trying hard to make life better for those less fortunate, as well as women in general. She was a real inspiration to me!
Christopher
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book goes a long way in educating the reader on Nellie Bly, myself included. It is a very thorough look into the the life of a little-known woman who opened MANY doors for women in the workplace. The photos were nice, as were the chronology, map of Bly's famous around the world trip, quotes, photos of realia from Bly's life, and the inclusion of her family history. Very good book.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a great short book about the well known American Newspaper writer Nellie Bly. I first came across her while I was in college and was fascinated by her since. I love learning more about her life and how she changed the view of women in the workforce and in journalism. I can not wait to read more books about her.
Rena Glubay
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book as an overview of Nellie Bly's life. It is in the juvenile section of our library so it is written for the younger readers. It told me enough to make me want to know more; so my next book is Nellie Bly: Daredevil, Reporter, Feminist - a 600+ page biography.
Correen
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

A small book that gives an overview of Bly's life. It is not an attempt to provide the details but it is amazingly thorough and provides a useful timeline. Her personality shows through but without nuance. For the story of her trip around the world, one has to read a broader biography.
Adriel
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fascinating introduction to Nellie Bly's work, independence, and spirit. The pictures work well and the format well constructed. National Graphic has published a number of excellent books for a tween audience.
Leigh
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another outstanding biography, replete with photographs, from National Geographic. Nellie Bly led a very interesting and dynamic life and the book contains lots of stories of her struggles and triumphs.
Michele
The book was O.K.
Jason Penckofer
A fantastic biography of Nellie Bly. Packed with wonderful information for reports, and interesting to read. Makes clear her importance in history. Includes a timeline of her life.
Josiphine/Tessa
I'm pretty sure that I read this last year and didn't really like it then either. How they managed to make Nellie Bly so boring I'll never understand.
Kim
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic-kids
I nice biography about a trailblazing reporter. She spent her life bringing notice to the injustices of the world, particularly those against women.
Shelley Alongi
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicely done. A great photographic collection and a great place to start. I always forget that she was the one that went under cover in the asylum and exposed it. Every time I come across that I say oh yeah that was her. I would definitely recommend this book. I didn’t know that she wrote about world war one. Even more interesting that she started her trip to Austria after the war began. I guess she missed all of their travel on the sea.
Tiffany
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this biography fascinating and well written. My only problem is with the format. This book is written for tweens or maybe early teens. Yet it is the size of a picture book with many words on a page. Mistake. Either make it a picture book or make it a "chapter" book if you want to find readers.
stillme
Biography book talk
Chealse
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Requested this book from the library by mistake. Ended up being fantastic! Short, quick read but very informational about Nellie.
Phoebe
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, kid-lit
Having never heard of Nellie Bly, this photobiography was pretty fascinating.
C