Start by marking “The Entropy Effect (Star Trek, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Entropy Effect (Star Trek, #2)

The Entropy Effect (Star Trek: The Original Series #2)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  1,736 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
The U.S.S. EnterpriseTM is summoned to transport a dangerous criminal from Starbase prison to a rehabilitation center, the brilliant physicist Dr. Georges Mordreaux, accused of promising to send people back in time -- then killing them instead.
But there's more at stake than just a few lives. For Mordreaux's experiments have somehow thrown the entire universe into a deadl
Published (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Entropy Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Entropy Effect

rosalind
what a fun book! time travel, singularities, convoluted plots, intrigue... not to mention mcintyre's original character, mandala flynn, who is an absolute treasure. can i get a book series about her? and all the other wonderful ladies mcintyre made up for this book?

also, check out the gloriousness that is sulu's mustache:
description
oh. my. goodness.
Jesse A
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Started a bit slowly but really picked up by the end.
Kelley
May 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
Considering it's a Star Trek novel, Entropy Effect is by no means a bad book. I can't, in good conscience call it a particularly good book. It was like an oatmeal cookie. A quick snack. I probably would have preferred chocolate chip, but I was all out and, besides, I knew what I was getting when I reached for the oatmeal cookie and - I'm just making myself hungry at this point, so I'm going to drop the analogy.

Bottom line: It's short and decent, but I've read superior fanfiction online and for f
Tracy Poff
A little break from all these picture books seems to be in order, so let's go with something completely different: The Entropy Effect by Vonda N. McIntyre, which is #2 in the Pocket Books line of Star Trek novels.

EntropyEffect-cover

The Enterprise has been in orbit of a singularity for six weeks, Mr. Spock making careful observations of this unusual phenomenon, when they are called away to Aleph Prime by an ultimate override command--to be used only in the most dire of situations.

They arrive to find no great eme
Kate
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
For a tiny little book it sure packs a heck of wallop! It's a little slow to get going but once it hits its stride (by that I mean the events described in the summary come into play) it is ridiculous and very close to being nail biting.

Everything is weird from the word go. Spock and Kirk are weird with each other - I don't know where in the chronology this novel fits but I'm betting early days since both of them aren't quite as Best Friends Forever-y as they end up being yet - but it's not just
Tracy
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Entropy Effect was a diverting read that improved after a somewhat rocky beginning. By the end of the novel, original characters felt well-fleshed out, even if they didn't necessarily feel like they would have been a part of the original Enterprise crew. I enjoyed the way time-travel was handled in this book, even compared to how the original series handled it. There are consequences to all temporal actions, even beyond the mere rethreading of human history. For those who are interested in e ...more
Heather Domin
Oct 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-books
Read the whole thing in one day sitting by the water. Whenever I put it down to get some Diet Coke or take a bathroom break, I spent the whole time wondering what would happen next. That's my idea of perfect vacation reading.
Jacqie
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mark
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it was originally published in the summer of 1981 Vonda McIntyre's book represented something of a new frontier (if you'll forgive my use of the phrase) in the Star Trek franchise. Though the second entry in Pocket Books's series of Star Trek novels, it was the first original story they published (the first book was the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture ). As such, it represented an effort to develop the franchise, rather than the more half-hearted adaptations of the Bantam Boo ...more
Cheryl Landmark
Review to come soon.
Melanie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I'll just say that the 1981 edition with Mustache Sulu is superior to the "Let's pretend this isn't Spock mindmelding with a Horta" cover from 2006. Which is terrifically distracting if you know the context. Second, I'll say that this first unique paracanonical novel in the Star Trek Pocket Books series as an example of its genre totally earns the 4 stars I've awarded it. This was a great pick for the first in the series following the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. McIntyr ...more
Dann
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A generic sci-fi time travel story, Star Trek: The Entropy Effect is a weak and uninspired novel. While studying a spatial anomaly the Enterprise receives a priority distress call to transfer a dangerous criminal, but when the criminal turns out to be a well-respected scientist Spock begins to suspect that there’s more going on than they’ve been led to believe. It’s a pretty simple, formulaic story that telegraphs its every move. Additionally, some of the crew members are written out of characte ...more
Justin Rees
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was an absolutely epic novel of the Star Trek franchise. As a Spock fan (as too many of us to count are), this is a perfect novel to make my heart sing. I am also a fan of temporal science fiction, so as Spock fights the entropy effect to restore temporal stability in the universe, I hung on every word. An excellent novel, interesting story, and chalk full of Spock, what more could you want?
Gregory
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tos
Time travel book...fun!
Terence
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Easily the second-best ST novel ever written.
Valerie
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I have not read a Star Trek novel in forever, I remember Vonda McIntyre as being a writer who made that universe believable.
Jim Dooley
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I read quite some time ago and I’d remembered thoroughly enjoying it. Would it still have the magic? Oh, yes.

Vonda McIntyre was my favorite “Star Trek Universe” writer. Her characters grew beautifully from the series, spreading out in ways that we as viewers hadn’t seen before, but that didn’t betray what we already knew about them. There was also a comfortable expansion of science so that it felt futuristic. I learned quite a bit about “entropy.” It was a new adventure of a
Kristina
I pulled Vonda N. McIntyre’s The Entropy Effect from my Star Trek shelf. I’ve read it several times but not recently. I’m sure when I first read when I was thirteen, I loved it. Kirk, Spock, Dr. McCoy—the whole gang is there so how could it disappoint? It’s certainly not as entertaining to read now but it’s not a bad book to have in your Star Trek collection.

The Enterprise has been assigned to study a singularity that had mysteriously popped into existence and the whole crew is on edge, balance
Chris Schmehl
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vonda McIntyre tells an authentic and rousing Star Trek story with her oldie-but-goodie novel The Entropy Effect. This was the first non-movie Star Trek novel published by Pocket Books. It fit into the theorized second five-year mission that most of the early Pocket books did (similar to the ST animated series).
Like many Star Trek outings Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are main characters. Mr. Sulu also gets a lot of story time. Mandala Flynn, a new ship's security chief, provides another lead character
Danny
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Classic Alternate Timeline story where Kirk is killed by a future version of a mad professor – who was also Spock’s mentor (ofc) – and Spock trying to rectify it for the good of the universe (no seriously if he doesn't the universe collapses in a hundred years.

It's tried and true trek storytelling done to death since death. I liked it, although the two main antagonists - the Mad Scientist and the Overzealous attorney are very cartoonish.

Some notes I had:

- Georges Mordeaux is such a late 70s earl
Oleta Blaylock
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, tos
Thankfully, The Entropy Effect was a strong start to Pocket Books' original novel line. It is a fun adventure featuring some fascinating twists and turns for our heroes, putting them in situations that hadn't been seen in Star Trek up to that point. There was a great deal riding on the shoulders of this novel, and Vonda McIntyre delivered a strong story that served to flesh out the world of Star Trek in new and interesting ways. A solid tale that led the way for 37 years of Pocket Books Star Tre ...more
Diego
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ficción

Crítica publicada originalmente en mi blog.

Sinopsis

Durante días, el U.S.S. Enterprise se ha dedicado al estudio de una singularidad en el espacio-tiempo, un fenómeno de vacío que tiene perplejo incluso al vulcaniano oficial científico de la nave, el Sr. Spock. Por alguna extraña razón, la entropía en el entorno ha aumentado aceleradamente, y ello podía tener consecuencias desastrosas para el futuro del Universo.

El estudio del fenómeno se ve interrumpido cuando reciben un mensaje de emergencia

RachelvlehcaR
I really enjoyed this book. I found this both in kindle edition and audiobook at my library. I'm so happy I checked out both. I started to read the book and at night put in the audiobook before I went to bed. Amazing! I had no idea that George Takei and Leonard Nimoy narrated it. I ended up listening to the entire book in one sitting. I highly recommend the audiobook. Takei did an assortment of character voices and Nimoy read only Spock dialog and thoughts. It was a fun time travel style adventu ...more
Taylor Seidel
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book! Despite some reviews saying some of the characters were out of character, I thought the writer's prose mirrored the feel of the 60's show very closely. The reactions the characters had to the events unfolding before them were what I would expect on-screen during TOS's run in the late 60's. Overall, very well written.
Chad
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time travel is something that Star Trek loved to play around with and this book is definitely no exception. This had the exact feel of a classic episode with the plot looping forward and backwards, meeting up with itself and making previously innocuous moments suddenly significant. It's a well thought out and constricted story that easily could have been a hot mess. Really enjoyed it.
Adrien
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Good yarn on the perils of time travel.
Sulu gets a love interest and opts to leave the Enterprise.
Kirk has second thoughts about that time he didn't join a communal marriage.
Bones gets drunk.
Mr Scott feels under-appreciated.
Spock has to save everyone's ass.
Alethleia
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Una de las primeras lecciones que había aprendido en su vida, que la consciencia humana pertenecía a un grupo minoritario, y que limitarse a pensar en términos humanos era la forma más rápida de demostrar que uno era imbécil"
Harold Head
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hindsight...

Faintly remembered reading it as a teen and liking it. The story is interesting enough but the characters aren’t quite in character a good chunk of the time, which is very distracting.
Dave Jones
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic adventure!! The science behind the time travel was very cool!! Highly recommended! 🖖
  • The Wounded Sky
  • The Prometheus Design
  • Web of the Romulans
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • Black Fire
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Demons
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • Uhura's Song
  • Ishmael (Star Trek: The Original Series, #23)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Killing Time
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Enemy Unseen
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc ...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99