Start by marking “Babe: The Gallant Pig” as Want to Read:
Babe: The Gallant Pig

Babe: The Gallant Pig

Knopf is proud to present a handsome 20th-anniversary edition of Dick King-Smith’s bestselling novel that became an Academy Award–nominated movie. When Babe arrives at Hogget Farm, Mrs. Hogget’s thoughts turn to sizzling bacon and juicy pork chops—until he reveals a surprising talent for sheepherding, that is. Before long, Babe is handling Farmer Hogget’s flock better than ...more
Published March 8th 2005 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Babe, please sign up.
Kristen Yes. I just read this book because my 10 year old daughter read it and then recommended it to me.

Start your review of Babe: The Gallant Pig
Ken
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as part of the ‘Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge’.

The charming tale that captured originally captured my imagination as a child due to the movie adaptation, it’s the heart warming story of a young pig on a sheep farm.
Being brought up by Fly a sheepdog, young babe aspires to follow in the dogs footsteps by becoming a sheep-pig.

I liked how the movie stayed really faithful to the book, it really is a timeless classic.
Claire Conlon
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in primary school Babe was the biggest blockbuster film and was extremely popular! I remember our teacher telling us that the film was based on a book and when I read the book that I enjoyed it even more! I was delighted therefore to have the opportunity to revisit one of my favourite childhood stories. The story begins with Mr. Hogget winning a pig at the fair by correctly guessing the pig’s weight. Originally Babe was going to be fattened up by Mrs. Hogget but miraculously Babe esca ...more
Rottgrl88
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Ba-ram you. Ba-ram you. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Ba-ram-you." I love BABE. Such a cute and endearing story. For someone that is a big animal lover, this story has always held a special place in my heart. I recommend for everyone that loves animals. And by the way, if you haven't yet seen the movie.... stop what you are doing and go watch it.
Calista
Such a fun story. I think I like the movie better actually and this book has a lot of charm. It's clever and funny and show how far politeness can get you in life. I think this is often overlooked and I think the world can use more kindness and politeness. I think Babe also shows that life doesn't always have to be what you expect. The unexpected can be as much fun, even more so. A bit of kindness can land us in the prize winning sheep-dog circle. I'm glad I took the time to read this.
Brennan
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
One of the rare instances where the movie is better than the book. I listened to it with my two daughters on a day trip in the car, otherwise I would have never finished it.

If you do decide to read it to your kids, get ready for lines like, "the Collie bitch was pleased to see Babe growing up so strong. And "the bitch told the pig that the farmer was pleased with his progress."

After the 2nd reference to this term, and after laughing out loud at the surprise of it, I had to tell my 10-year old
Mom
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely. Glad to see that the movie didn't deviate too much from the book.
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read Babe in years, and reading it again was really great. This story of friendship and adventure with a pig as the main character is definitely a classic and really worth reading.
Jen
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Steph Su
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chase-classes
I don't think I've ever read this book before, but I did today for class. At the beginning I thought I wasn't going to like it all that much--after all, there already is a great book featuring a pig as the main character, and that's Charlotte's Web--but awww, as I kept on reading I liked Babe more and more (and also the minor characters, Mr. Hogget and Fly especially) until by the end I was wishing I had a Babe of my own to cuddle with as he sheep-pigs his way to victory! ...more
Elise
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jonah-read-aloud
What a fabulous read aloud book! I enjoyed it as much as my son. My 5 year old would give it 100 stars. I did omit the word "bitch" referring to the collie as it wasn't necessary and didn't want to get into a discussion of when it is not appropriate to use the word or how people could misinterpret it coming from a 5 year old.
Indya
What an incredibly sweet, heartwarming story. I love the message that one only need to be kind and genuine to attain their desires, and that everyone should be treated with respect, regardless of how intelligent one might *think* they are.

However, after re-reading the last page again to double-check, the most famous quote from this book is misattributed. Farmer Hogget says "that'll do" twice, but he never says "Pig" at the end, as it is often quoted.

Perhaps that is said in the movie, but it is
Bookish
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
An incredibly sweet story that I enjoyed revisiting in book form. I watched the film adaptation, Babe, in the 90s and got the sudden urge last week to rewatch the film. First things first though, I wanted to know if it was based on a book. A very brief google search later and I had the answer.

The Sheep-Pig, or Babe, provided a much needed breather, interlude - what have you - to the past few days. Pick it up and have a go if you want a story of a piglet, Babe, that takes it upon himself to be a
Sara Grace
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
So cute! Loved it as much as the movie.
Josiah
May 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This is one of those Dick King-Smith books that show very well his strong potential as a writer, nearly perfect as a blend of sensitivity and fun in coming up with a starkly imaginative, thrillingly unique tale that is really not like anything that the reader will have previously seen.
Babe encapsulates the most saliently positive qualities of kids themselves, which will do nicely in commending this story to young readers. He doesn't accept that sheep are "stupid" and unworthy of addressing as
Holly DeFoor
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Babe: The Gallant Pig" by Dick King-Smith is a wonderful read-aloud or individual read for middle elementary students. It is considered a classic, and it is a quick, easy read. I especially loved the depiction of simple, "down home" farmers. The greatest lesson I gained from reading this is that anyone can achieve anything they desire if they put their minds to it. That lesson can be used to encourage students in a classroom to follow their dreams. Another lesson that students can learn is to p ...more
Kellie
Some people know I have this weird obsession for movies with talking animals. This obsession extends to books as well. I love stories about animals, and stories that are told from an animal's point of view.

Babe is one of my all-time favorite talking animal movies. It wasn't until I started working at the library did I realize that it was based on a book. (How did I not ever know this?) So I added it to my mental wish list of random, older juvenile books that I wanted to read sooner rather than
Kristi
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read in April 2018

I am turning semi-obsessed with Dick King-Smith. The book was fun and quick, but the last two pages of the book were perfection. He hit all of the right emotional points. I wanted to reread the last two pages again, so beautiful they were. Then my kids wanted me to read them a third and fourth time too. "That'll do, King-Smith" I say, "That'll do."

Mom Read Aloud to Davey & Gordon (and sometimes Eve).

Davey: "Good Ending."
Gordon: "Yeah."
Davey: "He should have written a Babe 2. W
Lindsey
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can't believe I'm saying this but I like the movie better!
Katie Fitzgerald
This short novel was a great read-aloud choice for my older two girls. The 5-year-old loves all talking animal stories and her 3-year-old sister likes pigs, so they loved following the adventures of the orphaned piglet who is taken in by a farmer, fostered by a sheepdog and taught to herd sheep himself. I have never seen the movie this book is based on, so the story was new to me as well. I was impressed by Dick King-Smith's ability to tell such a complete story in such a short book. The ending ...more
Sara
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've grown up watching the movie Babe and recently wanted to read the book it was based off.

It's very close to the movie, so it's a pretty good adaption. I loved reading this story. I've always liked the movie and now I like the book too.

I've enjoyed all of Dick King-Smith's books that I've read so far.

- - -
Babe the Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith is about a pig called Babe. Won at the fair by Farmer Hogget, Babe takes a liking to sheep herding. But who has ever heard of a sheep-pig?
Teresa
My class had no interest in this book and neither did I to be honest.
Elizabeth
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Darling.

Also, for what its worth, I believe the film version is one of the best book-t0-screen adaptations ever achieved.
Heather Moore
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lex-me-2020
Lovely read aloud with my 12 year old. We both found it sweet and funny in all the right ways.
Ai Miller
This was a lovely book, just as lovely as the movie except it kept using the word "bitch" in its animal meaning and that uh took me aback every time? But Babe is lovely and amazing and I love having the book and being able to read it after all these years of watching the movie.
Chenoa
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and how it's many messages about compassion, empathy, and trust and woven so nicely in. I also love the characters and how their varied personalities make you feel for them, laugh, and cry. Such a simple story but so worthwhile.
Ed Fincham
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Dick King-Smith’s tale of Babe - the successful sheep-pig - carries hints of an allegorical fable, but stays just the right side of entertainment to be an engaging, and to my mind interesting read for early KS2 or advanced KS1.

The story is set within an idealized agricultural landscape, an essentially timeless idyll, with only slight nods to anything resembling modernity. The setting is both strikingly familiar, and hopelessly alien. Familiar in that agricultural idyll is a common literary ster
Maureen Lubitz
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at You Must Have Your Hands Full

My girls love listening to audiobooks in the car. I have a nice selection of children’s literature, thanks to some great Audible sales. After we listened to Pippi Longstocking, my girls chose The Sheep Pig, by Dick King-Smith. This book is also known as Babe: The Gallant Pig, and is the inspiration for Babe, the Academy Award nominated film.

The story begins when Farmer Hogget wins a piglet at a county fair. Mrs. Hogget is delighted, and thinks ab
Matthew Brinkworth
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dick King-Smith used to teach at my primary school. After retiring he would often visit and read during assemblies, he loved to get feed back from the children about what they enjoyed about his writing and maybe what they did not quite enjoy as much. Therefore, I was delighted to revisit the author and his classic ‘Babe: The Gallant Pig’, which was made into a major motion picture.

As well as teaching, Dick-King Smith had a background in farming. Farming was his passion and inspired him to write
Catherine McDonald
The Sheep-Pig
By Dick King –Smith
I am quite new to the books of Dick King-Smith. Although I have always heard about his animal stories growing up most especially The Sheep Pig (or perhaps the popular film adaption of Babe), I had never actually read any of his books. In a way, I feel I have missed out on one of the most successful writers who uses animals as his main subject. I can read them now as an adult reader and still enjoy them but the potential that exists for a child is immense.

The She
Jim Leech
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Babe is not like other pigs; he has greater ambitions than eating, sleeping, and "lying around all day thinking about eating", his ambition is to be a sheep-pig.

When Farmer Hogget attends the local fair he unexpectedly wins a small piglet called Babe. Farmer Hogget does not keep pigs, but Mrs Hogget can see a potential Christmas Dinner in his prize and cajoles the farmer into keeping him. Babe has no idea of his intended fate and feels scared and alone on the farm. Farmer Hogget's sheepdog, Fly,
Around the Year i...: Babe: The Gallant Pig, by Dick King-Smith 2 16 Oct 07, 2016 04:36PM

• The Year of the Baby (Anna Wang #2)
  • Gooney Bird Greene
  • Bambi
  • Freaky Friday
  • Kildee House
  • Detectives in Togas
  • Stuart Little
  • The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • Mountain Born (Mountain Born, #1)
  • Happy Times in Noisy Village
  • Baby Wolf (Little Reader Wild Animals)
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Little Pear
  • Gooney Bird and the Room Mother
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • Catching Their Talk in a Box: The Life Story of Joy Ridderhof
  • Emily the Strange (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get