Start by marking “Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else” as Want to Read:
Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else

Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else

Training Camp is an inspirational story filled with invaluable lessons and insights on bringing out the best in yourself and your team. The story follows Martin, an un-drafted rookie trying to make it in the NFL. He's spent his entire life proving to the critics that a small guy with a big heart can succeed against all odds. After spraining his ankle in the pre-season, Martin ...more
Published May 18th 2009 by Wiley (first published April 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Training Camp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training Camp

Andrea
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read! Not just for athletes, but for anyone pursuing greatness and searching for purpose in their everyday life. It is so motivational, and I hope the message gets through to other members of my team who are also reading the book. The author is so positive and inspirational. It is a quick and easy read, but the message is long-lasting and life-changing. Some great quotes can be taken away from this book. Definitely read it if you're interested in self-improvement.
Tina Klinesmith
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you have ever read anything written by Jon Gordon, you know that he often writes in fables. Training Camp is no exception and the first book that I am recommending to my children. Both of my boys are football players and this book is a great playbook for life.

A personal development book disguised as a fiction tale of Martin Jones, a young football player attempting to be drafted by an NFL team in training camp. When what could be disaster strikes and an injury sidelines him, he’s
Mistie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great little motivational book. It was a quick read that grabbed my interest using my favorite sport.....FOOTBALL!!!!!
Carsen Drennen
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book if you play any sport you should read this book.
Jessica
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am never disappointed by a Jon Gordon book. This is a must read!
John
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Doesn't really say a lot that I don't get from reading blogs on the internet. The bits about God lacks nuance, and I never really appreciate it when someone tries to imply people who lack God in their life are missing something or are broken. This is especially the case because nothing said here really requires an explicit mentioning of God or religious faith just a belief in something larger than one's self (and I think most sensible people have an understanding of that).

Also, the whole thing
Michelle Hoelscher
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Inspiring story about being one's best. It's a very straightforward, easy read. The ideas in this book are not new or secret. However it lays out steps to take to improve and become better than one was before.
Elijah
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Training camp by Noah Gordon was such an amazing book from the first page to the last I couldn’t put it down. The book shows you the life lessons that come through hard work and to never give up. Martin the main character has great strength in his fight to make the nfl. Through your the book Martin is going through tough times. His mother had a heart condition that needs surgery he suffers an ankle injury but with the help of his coaches and perseverance Martin was able to excel. I recommend tha ...more
Charlie
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This summer i read the book, “Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else,” by Jon Gordon. The book is all about how a football player who is trying to make the NFL, but gets injured during training camp. He has help from the coach, Coach Ken, and learns a lot about himself, and how to be better on the field and off of it. I liked this book, because i myself am an athlete and i feel i learned a lot from reading this book. Also it was very well written and uses good literary element ...more
Juan Chavez
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Awesome book! Great story on focusing on the process and not the outcome. To face your fears and strive to achieve something greater than yourself. So many great talking points. My favorite being the analogy with fishing. You have to be patient but ready when your opportunity comes. To become a fisherman of men. but if that man is not ready and you try to pull him in, you will lose him.

Jon Gordon has a gift of intertwining lessons in stories. Highly recommend.
Shelly Kittell
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once you start, you just can't put it down until you finished. Jon reminds us of the higher power that helps us succeed as he uses the fable of Martin and Coach Ken to explain the 11 Traits Of The Best Of The Best.

He will cover:
The Best know what they truly want.
The Best want it more.
The Best are always trying to get better.

and eight more fascinating tips. I will be using these tips to help gain better perspective on my life.
Dominique
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heard Jon speak at a work conference and know of him through his Energy Bus book and work. Training Camp was a good, quick read in a sort of story/fable format. Although I did enjoy it, I wouldn’t rate it as life changing, but might be just that I prefer something a bit deeper and meatier.
Kristin Larson barlow
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book from this author I have read and I have enjoyed them both. He uses the experience of an athlete to tell a story about personal excellence and overcoming setbacks. The story and lessons apply beyond sports and into everyday life. All my kids will be reading this.
Kelsey Johnson
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to this on a CD in my car on a long road trip. Much better and less eye-rolling than The Energy Bus. I especially liked Disc 2 Track 4 and 5 (no idea what chapters that equates to), and I'm going to share it with my team about putting in the practice time.
Daron Yondem
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the story. However, I'm a little disappointed observing that all of the books of the author do go around the same topic without adding any new insights, but simply redecorating the story with different subjects, and storyline.
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick inspirational read by Gordon that you won't be able to put down until the end. A wonderful book on the importance of leadership and leaving a legacy. This story will leave you encouraged to live life for a bigger purpose than yourself.
Lance McConnell
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book at working through the process and doing what it takes to be the best. By following the 11 traits to be the best people can be on the right path to success. Jon Gordon does a great job intertwining a football message with his message to work to be the best.
Misty
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very powerful book! Helps you to be the best version of yourself and inspires you on how to push through obstacles on the way to greatness. Gordon does a great job of motivating you to leave a legacy, so others around you become great also!
Rebeca Russell
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and encouraging

Wow. This book is truly inspiring and encouraging to anyone. You can apply the principles to any profession or just daily living. I love that the story is real life. Truly motivates one to get their priorities straight.
Nat
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is really good! If you read the energy bus (which I liked better ever than this book by the way) you will notice one of the main characters from that book appears here in a unique way. I love that it mentions God too. Wasn't expecting it to be a Christian book but I don't mind. If someone isn't a Christian or even didn't believe in God it would still be a good read.
Marshal Paul
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very powerful! Thanks again Jon Gordon
Christian Deleon
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!
Melody Harris
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked how they used a character to get the points across. I did feel the playbook was elementary
Ray Laracuente
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story so simple and on point. Jon Gordon does it again! Fish Tacos for everyone!
Matt Beck
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Jon Gordon books.
J Crossley
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This motivational fable takes the format of a coach striving to be better. This focuses on the attributes that makes The Best succeed.
Lexie D.
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although I didn’t enjoy the book much itself, I did love all of the messages it gave.
Dalton Jacobsma
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a football player named Martin that isn't very big physically, but he has a huge heart. He is in training camp for the NFL, so he can pay for his mother's surgery. In the first week he play an outstanding game, but sprains his ankle at the end of the game. He finds Coach Ken who teaches him many lesson on being the best he can be in football and in life.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone because I think there are some very important lessons that I learned, and
Kristine
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My favorite book by Jon Gordon! A great read for teams!
Kirsten Davis
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Personally, this book was one of the most inspirational books I have read. One of the reasons this book is so inspirational is the characters came to life, and spoke like they are talking to the reader but they are really not.
The pace of the book was perhaps slow, not a lot would happen within four or five chapters. For example, Martin got injured in the third chapter, but for a few chapters Martin was talking about his recovery more than him actually saying his experiences at the NFL camp.The
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Earn the Right to Win: How Success in Any Field Starts with Superior Preparation
  • The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team
  • Toughness: Developing True Strength On and Off the Court
  • InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives
  • One Word That Will Change Your Life
  • The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis
  • The On-Time, On-Target Manager: How a "Last-Minute Manager" Conquered Procrastination
  • 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins
  • Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man
  • No Excuses: The True Story of a Congenital Amputee Who Became a Champion in Wrestling And in Life
  • Unusually Excellent
  • Coaching the Mental Game: Leadership Philosophies and Strategies for Peak Performance in Sports--And Everyday Life
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Talent Is Never Enough: Discover the Choices That Will Take You Beyond Your Talent
  • Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • Players First: Coaching from the Inside Out
  • A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring
Jon Gordon is an American business consultant and author on the topics of leadership, culture, sales, and teamwork.

Jon Gordon's best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals and non-profits. He is the autho
“It's about mental toughness. Mental toughness is everything.” 1 likes