Start by marking “Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action” as Want to Read:
Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action

Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action

Revised edition of Comprehension & Collaboration coming late June 2015!

"This book is about small-group projects that work. It's about combining what we know about the research process, about thinking, and about people working together to create a structure that consistently supports kids to build knowledge that matters in their lives." -Stephanie Harvey and
Published April 30th 2009 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published April 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Comprehension & Collaboration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comprehension & Collaboration

Katie Oglesby
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Smokey Daniels and Stephanie Harvey have created once again an extremely helpful, informative and easy to implement strategy to get students to read, write, research and present information that they were engaged and motivated to discover on their own without a teacher screaming it at them. This book was such an easy read, as always, Dr. Daniels books are such natural reads, its like you are having a conversation with him. After seeing him several times in person speak and having small group dis ...more
Julie Scott
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am looking forward to organizing my classroom to support an afternoon filled with inquiry. I hope to nurture natural curiosities using the techniques outlined in this book. I am especially excited to help students develop inquiry notebooks.
Suebee
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Would love to do a study group with teachers from my school on this book!!
Deborah Kline
My favorite educational text! This is how we all know we should teach if only we were given the time and no restrictions. This is deep learning and learning at it's best. Highly recommended!
Shane
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lot to think about in this book for how to change students' attitudes toward school and the way that they learn. Great extended examples from classrooms to show how these inquiry circles progressed over time. I would liked to have seen more information dedicated to setting the foundation for inquiry circles at the beginning of the year, though. Excellent sample pages, great appendices, and a wealth of online resources.
Jaime
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although I'm still working toward inquiry circles, I did take a great deal from this book about collaboration. There were many strategies that were easily applicable in class, and weren't necessarily created for perfect, well-behaved robot students! All kinds of learners are accounted for, and the basis behind creating groups that work helped me to think about what I was doing well and what I was doing wrong.
Amber Elise
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pd, comprehension, inquiry
This book provides a lot to think about when considering dedicating class time devoted to student inquiry while balancing the demands of the curriculum. It will need a more in-depth reread when I can take the strategies and apply them to the classroom on a more regular basis. Excellent resource for experienced teachers who are looking to challenge their current practices.
Frankie
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
This book had a lot of good ideas to make small groups work no matter what the purpose as well as a lot of good refreshers. I would've liked to have a bit more about inquiry circles-- since I'm new to it, but it was still a good read for me to help be in my school mind during the summer :)
Alanna King
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A bit 101 for my taste. It was so busy trying to be all encompassing that I'm not sure it presented any new information.... It outlines the phases of the inquiry process very well, but doesn't follow through on the execution of inquiry as well.
JennE
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Some of the information in this book was used to develop the Comprehension Toolkits... very informative and practical.Some information may be new to some people, some of the information may be known, take what you need and use it. Good ideas to try with teachers.
Anna Kim
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Fantastic resource for teachers and librarians.
Jennifer Adam
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Totally changed my thoughts about integrating content areas into my lit block. This is a book I will revisit often.
Ramesh
Jan 23, 2015 marked it as to-read
great
Michelle
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Makes me want to go back to the classroom so I can try this on a larger scale than interventions
NWA Writing Project
Check out my blog post on this book: http://areaderwriting.wordpress.com/2....

Loaned to Jennifer 10/9/13
Ale_meows
Project base text for higher level thinking
Brenda Morris
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
This is a very easy to understand book with helpful tips on using inquiry circles in any classroom. I look forward to trying out some of these ideas in my English classrooms.
Brad Buhrow
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read! Great and important information for any teacher or parent.
Brad
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A must read!
Debra
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book, with lots of lessons. I know I will go back to this book over and over. I'm looking forward to beginning some inquiry circles in my class.
Mischa
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am on Chapter 4, the first 4 chapters are repetitive information on managing cooperative groups and collaboration in the classroom.
Deanna Polzin

• So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms
  • Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from the New York Times, Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Craft Lessons
  • How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers
  • 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know
  • After "the End": Teaching and Learning Creative Revision
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Lessons That Change Writers [with Binder]
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • Conferring with Readers: Supporting Each Student's Growth and Independence
  • Energize Research Reading and Writing: Fresh Strategies to Spark Interest, Develop Independence, and Meet Key Common Core Standards, Grades 4-8
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop