Start by marking “Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)” as Want to Read:
Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)

Die Trying

(Jack Reacher #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  94,051 ratings  ·  4,213 reviews
Librarian’s note: This is a previously-published edition of
Kindle ASIN: B001NHNG64.

When a mysterious woman is kidnapped by a politically motivated fringe group and taken to their compound, Jack Reacher must help her escape with her life—from the inside out...
Published November 28th 2006 by Jove (first published July 20th 1998)

·  94,051 ratings  ·  4,213 reviews

Khurram
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, but not as great as I was expecting after the first book. I wish the first 3/4 of the book were as gripping and more like the last 1/4. The first 1/2 of the book Jack is stuck in a truck, an innocent passer by in a kidnapping. Though Holly is far from a damsel in distress. As good as the premise is after a couple of deductions from Reacher about his fellow "victim", the most exciting thing in these pages was Reachers mental maths to keep his mind active. Ok there are short bursts of a ...more
Kemper
Since I despised the first Jack Reacher novel Killing Floor you may be wondering why I read this second entry in this series. It’s all Tom Cruise’s fault.

Yeah, I know the Reacher fans were generally unhappy with Tiny Tom being cast as their hero who is supposed to be 6’5”, but I actually enjoyed the movie adaptation Jack Reacher quite a bit. Believe it or not a big chunk of the credit goes to Cruise who managed to convey the cocky arrogance needed while making it entertaining instead of over the
Alp
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Get a problem, solve a problem,” he said. “That’s my rule.”

This was a winner!

I can wholeheartedly say that this book totally went above and beyond my expectations. It is a brilliant and intense mystery/thriller story with tons of action and several heart-stopping moments. If compared to the first book in the series, the plot is more complex and the characters have more depth. Surprisingly good! I can’t remember the last time I felt like my heart was going to burst from excitement while readin
James Thane
In this, his second outing, ex-Army Major Jack Reacher is minding his own business, walking past a dry cleaning shop in Chicago, when an attractive young woman emerges from the shop with nine bags of expensive clothes, a bad knee, and a crutch. She drops the crutch and Reacher jumps to her assistance. In the same moment, two armed kidnappers materialize and order Reacher and the woman into a waiting car.

As any crime fiction reader understands by now, Reacher could take these two thugs with no pr
Supratim
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Once again I accompany Jack Reacher, ex-military policeman-turned-drifter, in his adventure. Die Trying is the second book in the series and here Reacher has gone to Chicago. He tries to help a young, attractive woman struggling on crutches with her laundry. In return for his courtesy he gets kidnapped along with the woman. The woman, Holly, claims to be a FBI and there are other interesting facts about her which would revealed as the story progresses.

In case you don’t know who Reacher is – he i
PattyMacDotComma
3.5★
Extreme violence, awesome force. Whoever did that, I wouldn’t want him to get mad at me, that’s for damn sure.’

The “whoever” here was Jack Reacher, and that pretty much sums up the tone of this long ‘adventure’. I’ve read a couple of Child’s Jack Reacher novellas and short stories, but this is the first full-length novel. It's #2 in the series, although they can be read in any order.

Plenty of action, some of it suspend-disbelief-worthy, I have to say, a little bit of character background,
Lyn
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ex-military MP drifter Jack Reacher gets into trouble again and fights, kicks, breaks and shoots his way out.

So this is the way its going to be … and that’s cool. Lee Child is keeping the plot and credibility fast and easy and choosing the formula that works: hero gets in trouble, fights the bad guys and kicks ass. There could be a pretty woman needing saving along the way and of course she’s going to be attracted to our man.

This time around Reacher is at the wrong place at the wrong time (and I
Ahmad Sharabiani
Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2), Lee Child, Lee Child
Die Trying is the second novel in the Jack Reacher series written by Lee Child. It was published in 1998 by Putnam. It is written in the third person. While in Chicago, former military policeman Jack Reacher is helping a young woman with an injured leg with her dry cleaning when they're captured at gunpoint by three men and thrown into a car, then transferred into a van and driven cross country. On the way, Reacher learns the woman is an FBI age
James
So, this time Jack Reacher is captured by some Waco style militia group. They've also captured a, coincidentally beautiful, FBI agent with a sports injury. Together they must escape, trust each other, fall a little bit in love, foil the bad guys, and maybe have a little bit of nookie on the way...

In fact coincidence is the key word in this novel, coincidence and cliché. Frankly there's way too much of them both throughout. The novel wavered between a 2-star and a 3-star for me. On the one hand t
Paula Kalin
I wish I knew Jack Reacher. That he was a friend of mine. Reacher takes care of his friends. No matter where you might be in the world he will come and find you. Reacher is loyal. You can always count on him.

Jack Reacher likes women. He likes intelligent women. Reacher looks out for women.

Reacher is not someone to mess with. He's smart, courageous, patriotic, and extremely well trained. He has a calm about him that works well in tough situations. He is an avenger for those less fortunate.

Jack
Meags
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this a little less than book one (Killing Floor) in terms of plot, but that's mostly due to the fact that the whole dangerous militia group thing annoys the shit out of me as a rule.

The bad guys here were just straight up wacko, whereas I prefer my bad guys to be a little more complex and captivating in their level of crazy, if that makes any sense.

Jack Reacher, as usual, was fairly badass and heroic. I like the guy. He's definitely someone I'd want protecting my back if shi
Abram
My Rating : 4.8/5

Die Trying is the second installment in the Jack Reacher Series. Die Trying is wrote in a third person perspective where as the first book was in first person. I really loved the person perspective but the third person perspective covered more ground. So, No problem. The prose and writing in this book is better than the first one but stilled the pacing felt a bit more slow. Here and There. The characters are well written and yeah, The dialogues are exceptionally good and correct
Jim
Mar 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I really enjoyed the first Jack Reacher novel, Killing Floor, but this second attempt was utter bilge. From a ridiculous opening set-up, the novel descends into a mixture of adolescent fantasy, incredible happenstance, laughable set pieces and ridiculous plot twists. On the other hand, it says something about Lee Child as a writer in that he very nearly gets away with it, because much as I was groaning at how amateur the whole thing seemed, I kept reading, almost to the end. Almost. I gave up wh ...more
Jim
I tried & kept giving Child the benefit of the doubt, but just can't take it any more. Child has some great overall plots, interesting places & characters. He really got my hopes up with this one. The FBI part is well done. It's a shame they are all ruined by making Reacher a super hero in human form. Child never passes up any opportunity to make Reacher 'look good', but it keeps backfiring.

My breaking point came in a horse barn. The heroine just had her bad knee kicked a few times. Reac
Harry
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to add the same review for all of the Reacher series, so if you've read this one, you've read 'em all. If you feel a certain affinity for the lone hero, a man of principle, of unwavering knowledge and assent as to his own actions, than Jack Reacher's your kinda guy.

Lee Child has created an unforgettable and unique character in his creation of Jack Reacher. Jack seems to implicitly understand that he is a unique animal/human running around on this planet and that in spite of social con
William
This could have been very good, at HALF the length.

The best thing: I very much enjoy Child's strong female roles. Wonderful!

Running around back and forth 50 times across the woods with nutcase Militias got really tiresome. Having to read every tiny little detail of every single action of every character was mind numbing. Ugh.

As usual, the start was great, and the climax was fun albeit far too long.

I will continue with the series in the hope that Child reigns in his verbiage.

One thing about the c
Gary
It wasn't bad. The book was on its way to a four star rating for sure and then it just seemed to slow down. Reacher was kidnapped along with a girl in the beginning and it was interesting. The plot moved nicely, and the interjections of deep thought by Reacher added to the story.
At some point I felt like it became an escape and get captured version of Groundhog Day. Its kind of ironic when I think about when I read it. It wasn't a bad read, it just felt like more of the same. After awhile I star
Amy
Sep 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was so bad. I started out really enjoying this series, but I'm losing interest. It's disappointing.

The storyline was interesting with unique twists and turns but the minutiae was lame. Like having a love scene just after Holly & Reacher discover the dead body of the FBI spy who was discovered and was basically crucified by the 'bad guys'. It was tasteless and tacky. Plus, then when Holly is finally rescued from being kidnapped, instead of running to her Dad first she runs to Reacher. Th
Adrian
Like the first in the Jack Reacher series, this was both recommended and given to me by a good friend.
Like the first I really enjoyed it, and have given it 4 stars, it was well written and fast paced. And now comes the but, I think, and we shall see, whether I might find these books becoming a little formulaic. As I said so far, after 2, I have enjoyed them and the character, but will he become predictable and boring ??
Donna
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Whew. After reading a few pages at a time for a couple of weeks, I finally got sucked into the vortex of Die Trying and lost most of a weekend finishing it. The reason it took me so long to really commit to it was that I was afraid—really afraid—of what might happen next. And yet, of course, I had to find out.

One nice thing about vicarious suspense is that, no matter what may befall the characters, the reader almost always survives.

As usual with books by Lee Child, I learned a great deal about t
Mike (the Paladin)
I started the Reacher (as everyone calls Jack, Reacher) books a while back and have since picked up one now and then. I watched the movie a while back and decided I'd start to 'try" and catch up with the series.

This one was (for me) the weakest so far. That said it is the second in the series so I live in hope that the books will get better. Here the plot is rather weak and as always there's a certain implausibility about Reacher altogether.

The book does deliver on the action as that's sort of t
Mike (the Paladin)

The book does deliver on the action as that's sort of t
Rizwan
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good overall, not great or superb by any means. After Killing Floor's complete first person narrative, I didn't much care for the always shifting third person narration from multitude of viewpoints. And that's another thing, there were way too many characters who shared the same amount of space and focus, so much so that Jack Reacher himself had almost gotten reduced to a supporting character in his own series!

The first half was good, but as we discover our main antagonists and what's ha
Stuart
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If you go down to the woods today...you are in for a BIG surprise"

Die Trying improves on some of my issues with the previous instalment, though there are also some downsides. Which is a good thing, as hopefully those issues will be improved later in the series. I whizzed through this book. I took the father to a game of cricket (please note I'm not a fan... of... very... slow... sports). But it gave me a chance to finish this novel, BOOM.

Jack's just taking a leisurely walk downtown Chicago, a
Johnny Williams
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Reacher is at again-- as Lee Child continues to develop this charactoer the more I like him. The quintessential American hero is taking shape-- and is almost a superman-- with every human trick up his sleeve--
Child gives a lot of facts in his novel as well --- most certainly ballistics and weaponry -- he makes some attempt at a love story but it is more of a hero worship love affair -- surrounded by his near super-heroic antics--
still ya got a love a good action book and this one is nothin
Sandeep
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shit load of coincidences and an uninteresting storyline. Not half as good as the first Reacher novel (Killíng Floor) I read.
Josh
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, let me get this off my chest, this is a very good novel, very, very good. We're talking Ian Fleming good. But there are two problems, though from the look of other reviews this might be a personal problem rather than a literary one. Decide for yourselves.
The first problem is that Jack Reacher is billed as being a Arnold Schwarzenegger type character, a modern Conan the Barbarian (the novels not the movies, the literary version is very different to the film portrayals) or even Bernard Cornw
Tara Gabor
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am Jack Reacher's newest fan. My mother has read all of the books, so I am lagging behind, but having heard her speak about the character so often, I decided to try Lee Child's short story, "Deep Down". I was hooked Jack Reacher is a cross between 007, a Texas Ranger, and Dr. Kimble. He is loveable but deadly. After finishing the short story, I eagerly consumed the first two novels. Jack Reacher appears to always find himself at the wrong place at the wrong time. He is misunderstood by authori ...more
Book Concierge
Digital Audio read by Johnathan McClain.
3.5***

Book # 2 in the Jack Reacher series has Reacher inadvertently caught up in a kidnapping, when he stops to help a woman on crutches manage her dry cleaning. He notices that she is strangely calm and collected. Holly Johnson is an FBI agent … and also the daughter and god-daughter of two powerful men.

Gosh but these books are addictive! Reacher is former military police, and now is roaming about taking odd jobs. He’s certainly got his hands full this
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Loving the Jack Reacher series! In Die Trying, Jack finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and thus ends up fighting to save an unsuspecting society from a madman leading a vigilante group dead set on a staking a claim to their own "state" through violence. Jack qualifies as a super-hero in my book. I mean he's larger than life, especially in this one, as he wreaks havoc while being held captive in an effort to save the world...and the girl. Nonstop action kept me glued to the pages ...more
WA 085 747 467 883 Kios Obat HERBASLIM Asli Di Balikpapan ( Obat Diet No.1 ) 1 4 Aug 18, 2019 07:24AM
Why is Dick Hill not narrating this audio book???? 45 965 Jul 08, 2019 10:59PM
Play Book Tag: Die Trying / Lee Child - 3.5*** 1 12 Nov 09, 2018 04:47PM
First person vs. third person 17 314 Apr 18, 2018 05:15AM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Covers - Die Trying 3 18 Jan 09, 2016 01:26AM
Jack Reacher 12 75 Feb 21, 2015 09:45PM

• The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Voodoo River (Elvis Cole, #5)
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
  • Pale Horse Coming (Earl Swagger, #2)
  • Broken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #16)
  • Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12)
  • Smoker (Atticus Kodiak, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
  • Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11)
“I had a teacher once, grade school somewhere. Philippines, I think, because she always wore a big white hat. So it was somewhere hot. I was always twice the size of the other kids, and she used to say to me: count to ten before you get mad, Reacher. And I've counted way past ten on this one. Way past.” 52 likes
“People, Reacher was certain about. Dogs were different. People had freedom of choice. If a man or a woman ran snarling toward him, they did so because they chose to. They were asking for whatever they got. His response was their problem. But dogs were different. No free will. Easily misled. It raised an ethical problem. Shooting a dog because it had been induced to do something unwise was not the sort of thing Reacher wanted to do.” 33 likes