Start by marking “George Washington's Socks” as Want to Read:
George Washington's Socks

George Washington's Socks

(Time Travel Adventure #1)

Elvira Woodruff's million-copy seller, GEORGE WASHINGTON'S SOCKS, returns in time for the book's anticipated HC sequel -- Ben Franklin's Boots!

A mysterious rowboat transports five adventurous kids back in time to the eve of the Battle at Trenton where they experience the American Revolution. Through encounters with Hessian soldiers, revolutionaries, and even George Washing
Published February 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1991)

Diane
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is great for read aloud while studying the American Revolution.
Jackie
Five kids, Matthew, Q, Hoot, Tony, and Katie camp out one night as part of their newly formed adventurer's club. When a mysterious, old rowboat appears suddenly as beckons them onboard their lives change in a way they never dreamed possible. Out on dark, eerie Lake Levart, they are thrown back in time and find themselves among General George Washington's army on the Delaware River on that fateful Christmas Eve night that was uncharacteristically snowy and icy.

The kids are in the midst of a brut
Eddie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't like this as much as I thought I might based on recommendations from others. I didn't love the characters, I didn't feel like I really had much vested interest in any of them. Additionally, the book is really anti-war rather than celebrating the revolution or the founding fathers. I expected it to be more about a-day-in-the-life and to an extent it was, but I kind of felt that the author went out of her way to point out that people die in war, and sometimes even the "good guys" aren't a ...more
Heather
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Delaney
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The summary of this book is, matthew(matt) is eating dinner with his family. He is excited because his adventure club is having their first meeting! But his sister has to come. In the middle of the night matt and his friends; Tony, Hooter, and Q decide to go to the lake but they’ve heard stories about the lake. Apparently, there is this old rowboat that makes people disappear. Thing is, matt and his friends find the row boat and they get on it and they timetravel! Where is Matt and and his frien
Anna
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This book has a exicting momment where you just can't wait untill lunch is over, and you have to finish it now. Most parts of the book doesn't have a lot of facts for you to learn, but it has a lot of action. This book has some parts where you can see the character's internal fears and see how he overcome come all his internal fear and have hope again.
The external fears for the character is a fear that they cannot control and solve, and I like how the author makes it seems like there is no hope
Jacob Erickson
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing. I felt like I was right there sailing through the Delaware River that chilly 1776 night. It was adventurous when Matt was separated from his friends. It is realistic. They are kids living in the 2000s. (When they are in present time.) It is historic fiction because they end up in the Revolutionary War after time travel. It is fairly accurate though despite the time travel. I would recommend this book to lovers of adventure, realistic, and history.
Taylor
Oct 14, 2009 rated it liked it
In this book, it puts you in place of a young kid who hasn't done much anything dangerous or thrilling. You know no survival skills because you've never had any use for them. Until now. You are forced into the early days of George Washington and put into battle by him and his men. Now you have to fight for your life, but will you survive?
Ann Mulholland
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. I know it's a kids book but it was good. I've been to Washington's Crossing and I could picture that while reading this. This would have been ideal to read with my boys when they were in school
Kalejh Rose-Parr
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I believe George Washington's Socks was a five star book because Elvira Woodruff did a fantastiic job making this funny, fantastic and nail-biting! I highly reccomend this thrilling tale.
Wendy
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this one with my 4th grade son for his literature circles. It had elements of the Magic Treehouse books.
Kyle
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read for school. Novel on our fifth grade reading list. Not planning on using it again next year. Really haven't found any great books on this new list. I miss my favorites from fourth grade!
Patrick
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
p.88 You're too young to be having to make sense of this war business, though in truth even an old man such as myself can little understand it.
p.107 I'm president of the club and I'll think of something, don't worry.

A fun little journey back to the Battle of Trenton. The reader follows the children through the social and physical landscape of the Revolutionary Era. The high point is meeting George Washington within the story. In addition, the war is not presented as this heroic event. There is a
Laura Hoyler
I think kids who liked the Magic Tree House books when they were younger will like this story.
Timothy Davis
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like Erik the Great's review of this book from his blog "This Kid Reviews Books." Erik is 11 years old.

"George Washington's Socks - A Time Travel Adventure

By Elvira Woodruff

166 pages -ages 9+

Published by Scholastic in 2010 (originally published in 1993)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Matt had always heard of the creepy legend of Levart Lake. On moonlit nights people disappear at the lake and are never seen again. He was horrified when he saw his little sister Katie trying to get into a row-boat on the lake…on a moonlit night. As he ran to the lake with his friends, Tony, Hooter and “Q”, all the kids fell into a trance and they ALL ended up in the row-boat. The next thing they knew they were transported back in time to 1776 and were now in the middle of the Delaware River the ...more
Chase
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is based on five kids and are decided to go on an adventure to the dam in the woods. they got there and fell under a spell and they went back to revolutionary war, WHAT WILL HAPPEN? This book reminded me of the magic tree house when all of them went on a trip on in the future. Also it reminded me of back to the future because they are being sucked back in time. When they go on the adventure to the dam it reminded me of my self when i was little trying to be all brave. Finally it remind ...more
Owen
Apr 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really didn't care for this book. It seemed like it was written more like a textbook more than a novel. The book begins with some kids camping in the woods in an "adventure club" and at every meeting, they read books about adventures. I thought that the plot wasn't as exiting as it looked like it would be, because she didn't spend as many pages as she should have where the main characters were with George Washington. I didn't enjoy it, and I wouldn't reccomend it.
Ann
Feb 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
Brogan
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a historical fiction book and at first this book did seem like a historical fiction book but when they teleported to the past during the revolutionary war it clicked. As I read this book I became more and more accurate with dates and events during the war. I didn't one hundred precent like this book but it your look for a quick historical fiction book this is the book for you.
Jessica
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Cole and I slogged our way through this one. I like the concept of fantasy/historical fiction. However, this book misses the mark for engaging youths. There are too many main characters plus too many secondary characters. I understand that it was about the Revolutionary War, but it was still quite violent including two deaths.
Misbah
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Lisa
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this as a read-aloud to my 4th grade class while we were studying the American Revolution, and they absolutely loved it! Full of action and adventure as a group of kids accidentally time-travel from the 20th century back to the time of George Washington as he crosses the Delaware River. Good peek into the sobering realities of war.
carrietracy
After all the other children's and YA books I've read about the revolution, this really fell flat. It was lacking in historical detail, contained Indians that were complete stereotypes and just failed to interest me.
Amy Meyers
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Read this as GW will be covered in our history soon, especially the Revolution. This is one of my least favorite presentations of the war or GW. I'll put it out for a free read by the kids, but will assign other works.
Kimberly
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this as a kid and reread it today. Totally responsible for me falling in love with time travel.
Kevin
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Its a really good book.I read it in class.I reccomend everybody should read this book.It has everything.
Adelle
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Time travel in history. Fun stuff for youth.
Jodi
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: us-founding-era
This was a book that got better as it progressed. I wasn't too impressed by the first several chapters; the deceit, attitudes, and justifying of poor choices bugged me. But then the kids started reaping the consequences of their actions and it kept looking like they were learning some lessons about integrity, trust, and honoring their parents/loving their siblings. The part of the story where they were all thrust into the Revolutionary War was fascinating and showed a bit of both sides of the st ...more
Julia West
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary: This interesting story follows a group of children who find a mysterious boat on the lake that takes them back in time to George Washington's camp during the revolutionary war.
Evaluation: The story was told wonderfully through this book. The chapters were short as to not be drawn out and lose student's attention. And the fact that the book is written about one of America's most well-known men also keeps students engaged.
Teaching Ideas: Teachers could use this text to map out a timeline
review 1 1 Nov 20, 2017 07:40AM
hi 1 1 Mar 03, 2015 04:27PM
  • When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots
  • Martha Washington: First Lady of Liberty
  • George Washington's War: The Forging of a Revolutionary Leader and the American Presidency
  • George Washington
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • Phoebe the Spy
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • George Washington's Breakfast
  • For Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne had won at Saratoga
  • The Keeping Room
  • Give Me Liberty
  • Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750-1800
  • The Fighting Ground
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere, Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • The Riddle of Penncroft Farm
  • Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen
Well-known for her popular children’s stories, author Elvira Woodruff had a long route to becoming a writer. In fact, one of her first jobs after leaving college was driving an ice cream truck. She has also worked as a receptionist, a janitor, a window dresser, a gardener, a shop owner, an assistant librarian, a waitress, and a storyteller. After working for several years in the children’s room of ...more

Time Travel Adventure (2 books)
  • George Washington's Spy
“Q and I did our history report together on George Washington,” he told them. “So if you have any questions, we can probably answer them, since we did so much research.”
“You only read one library book for that report,” Tony objected. “You can’t call one book ‘so much research.’”
“You didn’t see the size of that book, Tony,” Matt told him. “It was big. I mean really big.”
“Look, Tony, we’re not saying that we know everything about the Revolutionary War, but we did do a report on it and we do know more than you do,” Q said smugly.
“Okay, guys, let’s not waste any more time trying to decide who knows more about the Revolutionary War.”
1 likes
“I don’t know how this happened, how we ended up here. I never knew it would be like this. I’m not from here, Israel, you have to believe me. I’m from another--”
“It’s all right,” Israel interrupted him, leaning over and putting his arm around him. “I’ll look after you. We two goats, we’ll get through this together, you’ll see, and when my enlistment is up well find your Katie and you and she can come and visit me and Abby and the boys. Don’t worry, Matthew Carlton, you’ve got a friend in Israel Gates. You can depend on it.”
0 likes