Start by marking “The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)

The Eagle's Conquest

(Eagle #2)

IF YOU DON'T KNOW SIMON SCARROW, YOU DON'T KNOW ROME!

THE EAGLE'S CONQUEST is the thrilling second novel in Simon Scarrow's bestselling Eagles of the Empire series. Essential reading for fans of Bernard Cornwell and Conn Iggulden. Praise for Simon Scarrow's compelling historical novels: 'Gripping and moving' The Times

Britannia, AD 43. Bleak, rainy and full of vicious savage
Published 2008 by Headline Publishing Group (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Eagle's Conquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eagle's Conquest

Start your review of The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)
Atlas
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* * * *
4 / 5

~mini review~

I thought this was much better than it's predecessor, Under the Eagle. The Eagle's Conquest focuses on the invasion of Britain by the Romans, covering three battles up to the capture of Camulodunum (modern day Colchester, Wikipedia tells me), and the greater scope of the book compared to the first one makes it a lot more exciting.

We've got battles, we've got a (kinda bad) love story, we've got politics and assassinations, and Scarrow deftly brings people from history to
Laura Tenfingers
Another informative and entertaining tale of Macro and Cato in the Roman army during the invasion of Britain.

The bromance was a bit less in this book than the last one, the treachery of our treacherous villain was more than in the last book and we got to delve deeper into some side characters. I learned a bit more about the invasion of Britain which was interesting. I will continue the series.

It took me longer than usual to finish thanks to the Coronavirus locking me in my house with kids that
Adam
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hist-fic
I really, really enjoyed this second book in the Eagle series. Simon Scarrow writes very well and both his story and his characters come to life. I'm very happy I gave this series a chance and am hopng the rest of the series is just as good.
RG
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scarrow really understands the Romans. He makes their warfare and politics so much fun with these characters. Cato especially. Great war scenes with the perfect amount of suspense and action. The historical element is not over powering and provides great information/description of that times. Oh and I hate Vitellius haha.
Stuart
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The Legions brought a chainsaw to a sword fight"

Someone asked me how could I like Simon Scarrow's novel so much when I know that it's not historical accurate - that I should be put off by the swearing in his novels. That's exactly the point why I'm such a fan of Scarrow's Eagles series. He doesn't romanticize war or politics. The author doesn't pretend to be historically accurate (unlike some authors - when there really not!). The reality is that history can be as dry as the papyrus it was
Richard
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
7/10

This was a similar outing to the first novel in the series with the relationship growing stronger between Cato and Macro, the treachery growing stronger within the political ranks and a good number of well described battle sequences.

There wasn't much wrong with this novel other than the bits seemed to plod between the battles. It was slow to get going but when things kicked off it got going. The dialogue was also the same as the first which could be seen as a bit trashy but I quite enjoyed t
Beorn
What strikes me most about this book, and to a certain extent the previous book in the series too, is just how different it is to the author's non-Roman period fiction.

For someone who is routinely trotted out as one of the best authors of Roman fiction, it surprises me just how bland and un-engaging a novel Scarrow puts out.

For a little context, the first of Scarrow's book that I read was Sword and Scimitar set around the sixteenth century siege of Malta. It was ripe with betrayal, battle, blood
Colin
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book is great. It clearly does lack the pondering depth of certain other authors (such as Steven Saylor) but if you're in the mood for a fun romp, look no further. This series in general is one I'd equate to Hollywood action films; very easy to digest, lots of action, punchy, lively, succinct with a tight overall structure, whilst also scraping by on enough historical depth to remain interesting and immersive. It never questions things too deeply and the result it a fun slice of fiction.

The
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was even better than Simon Scarrow's first book - and that's some achievement!
This time around Cato and Macro are ranged against the Britons, desperately defending their homeland in a series of pitched battles. The battle scenes are something else and carry the reader right into the heart of the bloody conflict so that somehow the author manages to make you see, hear, smell and feel the terrified combatants.

The characters are wonderful creations and smack of real living and breathing people
Tom
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just keeps getting better

I literally can't put these books down. Brilliant reads that make you Wang to keep going. Now on to the next
Tony
This second in the "Eagle" series takes place a few months after the first book, and finds the two heroes of the 6th cohort of the 2nd legion, Centurion Macro and Optio Cato, as part of the Roman expeditionary force sent to pacify the British Isles circa 43 AD. The Roman forces are greatly outnumbered by those of the Celtic tribes assembled under Caratacus, and a series of desperate battles and skirmishes ensue. As in the previous book, while the characters are not exactly brimming with depth, t ...more
Jim Wallis
I enjoyed the book, although it didn't have me turning the pages as quickly as it's predecessor.
I will continue with the series though - I want to continue following Macro and Cato on the campaign through Southwest Britain, and see what happens to them next.
Colin Turner
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Simon, thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I can't wait to carry on the series.
Graham
As a follow-on from Scarrow's first book, UNDER THE EAGLE, which I greatly enjoyed, I found THE EAGLE'S CONQUEST something of a letdown. I put it down to the old "curse of the second novel", whereby it appears that Scarrow found this very difficult to write and that somehow transmutes into it being something of a chore to read.

It's really odd, but there's something about this novel that I didn't like, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's certainly an easy read, and action packed, chock fu
Luka Novak
The conquest of Britain continues. Book picks up where previous one left us with most of characters present. Book nicely shows how Cato is adjusting to ilitary life, how he is learning to operate and how his relationship with Macro is evolving.

We are treated to few fast paced battles with "down and dirty" fighting scenes but we also see glimpses of military life outside pitched battles.

However Scarrow makes few mistakes in such descriptions. For one contrary to popular belief roman warships were
Lady*M
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, historical
Paul
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
In this realistic novel portraying life in the Roman army; Scarrow spares no detail in describing the harsh life of an invading centurion. There’s some very realistic banter alongside good humour and emotion within the legion as Scarrow switches from the idle to the pacifist to the disciplinarian. However, there are some drawbacks to his characters. Marco and Cato are indestructible compared to the rest of the legion; and surely they’re too modest to survive their many battles without reward or ...more
Mayank Agarwal
I enjoyed this book more than the previous one. This book starts off right where we were left in the previous one. The Romans are on their way to conquer the capital of the first Briton tribe. We get to see most of the journey from the point of view of our protagonist Cato and his commander Marco, what’s fun is the detailed warfare, the battle are full of strategy as well as the melee action. The political intrigue while interesting felt weak and predictable. I was enjoying the book right till t ...more
Tim
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"No amount of courage could withstand the ruthless efficiency of vigorous training and equipment specifically designed for such confined fighting conditions, and the Roman cohorts steadily pushed their way inside the fortifications." Scarrow, 63

"Regardless of one's feelings, the battle had to be won, the enemy defeated, and both had their price - measured in the blood of the men in his legion." Scarrow, 133

"Caesar, I am a mere soldier, and lack the necessary refinement to judge the aesthetic mer
Mark Day
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The second book of the series has better pacing than the first, but there is no depth of characterization and the prose is downright rigid. Mr. Scarrow does not provide any real insight into the native population of the era, and what is learned about the Romans is superficial at best. If you are looking for a fun but shallow read, this book will suit you. This series is not what I look for in historical fiction.
Mark
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting read.

At a time when anyone can publish a book, it's refreshing to read a story which contains the elements of an excellent tale. Namely, the tested formula of believable characters interwoven with an historical narrative.
The time taken to create the characters has been well spent. Cato and Macro's professional and off duty friendship prevails throughout a series of intrigues, battles and everyday legionary life. Long may it continue.
Graham Coulson
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This the second in Simon Scarrow's series 'The Eagles' was every bit as enjoyable as the first book. Well written, but lacking depth, the story makes an entertaining page-turner and I'm sure that I'll continue on to the third book in the series in due course - not immediately perhaps, as I have a yen for something different right now ...
David Forster
After reading and enjoying The Legion, I decided to pick up the rest of this series. Unfortunately this instalment didn't quite live up to expectations. The story was slow to develop and I found it difficult to want to finish. It's not one of the worst books I've read, but it certainly didn't grip me either.
Henry
A series novel, more on the light "ripping yarn" scale, than serious in any way, based on the early Roman invaders to Britain.

Entertaining for me, as the most atmospheric battle was based on the marshlands of Kent, between the Medway and Thames rivers, right where I live now. And its bleak and mysterious area now, good to know it made the Roman soldier ill and terrified of the locals.
John Adams
A good rollicking read. As a former soldier I can say that i recognise the units that I served in. The rough banter, the black humour. Where the author describes the Legion stepping off in time, eyes right whilst passing Caesar. Being on patrol, guard duty etc. Great characters, sub plots, vivid battle scenes. Liked it a lot.
Phil
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent plot. Gripping storyline. Characterisation was a bit stereotyped but otherwise the book is a ripping good read. I am sure that it did not set out to be a serious novel and so it should not be judged by those standards.
Connor Ludovissy
A fun novel with lots of little touches that add authenticity to the setting, but shallow characterizations and unimpressive plotting make it less than memorable. I'll probably pick up the next one, but I'm in no hurry.
Dom Nuno
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: doado-ua
Not a 'must read'.

Like the first book, this makes a nice light reading, ideal for those times when you don't want to tax your brain. Without much attention to detail or fact, the author writes well enough for the reader to want to find out what happens next, even as it becomes obvious.
Brantley
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid and enjoyable bit of historical fiction. It does offer a few quirky turns of phrase from the author but the foundations seem well researched. A fun read with just the right mix of mystery and battle.
Victor
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent written series, rich in content and characters that evolve through the set.
Cato and Macro assail through their significant hurdles with a certain amount of elán to keep the pages flowing easily. Great fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Forgotten Legion (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #1)
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • Fire in the East (Warrior of Rome, #1)
  • War of the Wolf (The Saxon Stories, #11)
  • Tyrant: Funeral Games (Tyrant, #3)
  • Hannibal: Enemy of Rome (Hannibal #1)
  • Excalibur (The Warlord Chronicles, #3)
  • Sharpe's Fortress (Sharpe, #3)
  • Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2)
  • Eagles at War (Eagles of Rome, #1)
  • Emperor's Knife (Imperial Assassin #2)
  • Sharpe's Eagle (Sharpe, #8)
  • Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2)
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen

Eagle (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle #1)
  • When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • The Eagle's Prey (Eagle, #5)
  • The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)
  • The Eagle in the Sand (Eagle, #7)
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)
  • The Legion (Eagle, #10)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)